PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Ray a Jet?

Sac_State
02-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Site Map »

Ricky Ray leaves Edmonton for the NY Jets

TSN.ca Staff

2/27/2004

Star quarterback Ricky Ray has signed with the NFL's New York Jets, according to the Edmonton Eskimos.

The deadline for CFL players in their option year to sign with NFL clubs is this Sunday, but the Edmonton Sun reported today that Ray's agent, Ken Staninger, informed the Eskimos of his plans to leave on Thursday night.

An official announcement is expected soon, but the Eskimos told TSN that Ray was headed to New York.

According to the Sun's source, 14 NFL clubs watched Ray work out, and three offered him a contract. The three teams were said to be the Jets, the Miami Dolphins and the Arizona Cardinals.

Ray, a 6-3, 210-pounder out of Sacramento State, auditioned for Jets officials two weeks ago. He threw for 35 touchdowns and 4,640 yards last season, leading Edmonton to the Grey Cup title. The New York Post reported Thursday that the Jets were in negotiations with Ray's agent.

Staninger confirmed conversations with the Jets and the Cardinals, and has said his client would not leave the Grey Cup champions unless Ray was guaranteed a shot to be a first or second stringer in the NFL.

The Jets are set with Chad Pennington as their starter, but will need a back-up after the expected departure of veteran Vinny Testaverde.

The Jets said on Thursday that Testaverde, 40, would not participate in the team's off-season program.

"I am considering, unless something changes, bringing an end to my professional playing career," Testaverde said Thursday. "In discussions with the Jets' organization, they have been very positive and supportive of me. I really appreciate the opportunity to have come back to New York, my home, and have enjoyed being part of some of the most successful and exciting years the Jets have had."

If Testaverde does not retire, he will likely be released after June 1st. Waiting until June to release Testaverde would allow the Jets to spread out the resulting salary cap hit over the next two seasons.

Ray will compete with youngster Brooks Bollinger for the back-up job in New York. Bollinger, a sixth round pick in 2003 out of Wisconsin, was the back-up for six games last season while Testaverde started for the injured Pennington. When Pennington retuned to the lineup, Bollinger was inactive as the third stringer.

The Dolphins have already cut back-up Brian Griese and reportedly made a deal with the Philadelphia Eageles to acquire quarterback A.J. Feeley (the trade cannot be made official until after March 3). He is expected to be the new starter, which would have left Ray battling for the number two spot with Jay Fiedler. The Dolphins, however, have reportedly told Fiedler to start looking for a new team.

The Cardinals situation was perhaps the most interesting. They have already released last year's starter, Jeff Blake, and announced Josh McCown as their new number one. Ray would have had a decent chance of beating McCown out for the starting job. But the Cardinals also have the third pick in the NFL Draft and might have a shot at a top quarterback prospect such as Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger. If they make such a selection, Ray's career with the Cardinals could have been a short one, so signing with Arizona would have been a risk.

If Ray fails to stick with his new NFL club, he would be eligible to return to Edmonton, but that likely would not happen until after Labour Day.

With Ray heading south, Jason Maas and Bart Hendricks will battle for the Eskimos starting job.

D
02-27-2004, 05:36 PM
I'd hope you are not gloating about him going to the Jets, seeing as how he will be the third-stringer behind Grand Forks' Brooks Bollinger.

Sac_State
02-27-2004, 05:54 PM
No gloat, anytime an alumni can make it to the Big Dance, it is an accomplishment and a testiment of how
I-AA produces quality NFL prospects.

You need not attend a BCS to have a pro football career.

That's all. And GO Hornets!

89rabbit
02-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Sac,

Congrats to Ricky Ray and your program! *Buzzzzz! *;D It is always good to see a guy from a smaller program make it to the NFL.

Go State!

somebison
02-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Is Ricky Ray related to Jimmy or Sugar Ray?