PDA

View Full Version : Potential All Sports Conference

Paulie
03-02-2004, 12:22 AM
In the spirit of the Great West, what if we rounded up all the current D1 independents and looked at a possible all sports conference?

NDSU
SDSU
UNC
Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Utah Valley State

Possible others

Southern Utah
University of Denver
Central Oklahoma
Any other NCC defectors.

From what I know all play baseball and at least NDSU, UNC, and UVS wrestle.

Bisonfan1234
03-02-2004, 12:53 AM
southern utah is in the mid con.

i'd rather be in the mid-con because (assuming UNC and SDSU join as well) we'd get to play 3 teams that are in our football conference every year as conference members.

Bisonguy
03-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Paulie,

There were rumblings about a possible wrestling conference with NDSU, SDSU, UNC, Air Force, Fresno State, and a bunch of Ohio schools since NDSU anounced the move to DI. Haven't heard much about it lately, but I'm sure some work will begin after the season is over.

Bisonguy
03-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Just found this on a Sunbelt board- thoughts anyone?
This was a tangent to a thread about the GWFC

USD, of course, is the University of San Diego.

Other non-FB D1 schools in the West who have no home that makes sense are Utah Valley St. and Denver. U San Diego is a D-1AA FB school that has no home that makes sense.

There is speculation about the "orphan" BB schools might soon create an all-sports conference, inviting Oral Roberts of the MidCon as well, with Denver joining in, giving you:

Cal-Davis (FB Only)
Cal Poly (FB Only)
Denver (No FB)
No. Colorado
No. Dakota St.
Oral Roberts (No FB)
USD
So. Dakota St.
So. Utah
St. Mary's (FB Only)
Utah Valley St. (No FB)

That gives you 8 FB and 8 all-sports members, nice numbers all.

What, if anything, are you folks hearing?

89rabbit
03-02-2004, 03:06 AM
I know down here in Kansas City, the Oral Roberts (Mid-Con) talk is about them going to the Missouri Valley. I personally don't think that would happen, but I also don't think they would leave the Mid-Con for a start from scratch Conf.

Bisonguy
03-02-2004, 03:12 AM
I would be skeptical of ORU leaving the Mid-con as well. Southern Utah, however, might be better served leaving the Mid-con to reduce travel costs. Texas Pan-Am and Texas A&M Corpus Cristi could also be possible members.