PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Expansion Meeting today

Bison_Kent
02-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Here is the Forum link to the expansion talks of the Big Sky:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50517

Sac_State
02-18-2004, 05:41 PM
BK, why don't you cut/paste the article here?

That way, we don't have to register with another spam producing URL.

Bison_Kent
02-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Here it is:

Big Sky expansion catches NDSU’s interest
By Jeff Kolpack
jkolpack@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 02/18/2004

The Big Sky Conference will again take up expansion in a conference call of league presidents today. But don’t expect North Dakota State to play into in the discussion.

It appears the expansion talk will be on the number of league teams, which is currently eight. The conference reportedly is interested in going to 10 teams.

“Last year, they were so strong in saying they were fine with eight,” NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said Tuesday. “Now in the last few months, we’re hearing they’re reconsidering their position. That gives us some enthusiasm.”

Jaynee Nadolski, the information director for the Big Sky, confirmed that expansion is on today’s agenda, but nothing specific will be addressed.

“They’re just talking about it,” she said. “There’s nothing else to add until they talk about it.”

NDSU and South Dakota State made a strong push to the Big Sky Council of Presidents last February. But the group said it wasn’t interested in moving its boundaries east.

The Big Sky consists of Montana State, Montana, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Sacramento State (Calif.), Portland State (Ore.), Weber State (Utah) and Idaho State.

NDSU also is interested in the Mid-Continent Conference. Taylor said that league’s annual meeting is held during the conference basketball tournament. He said his understanding is some Mid-Con schools want expansion on the agenda and some do not.

“We’re hoping they’ll have the same sort of discussions” as the Big Sky, Taylor said.

The fact the Big Sky presidents are meeting by teleconference call -- and not like last year in a meeting at the Salt Lake City airport -- is considered a sign that not much substance is expected from it.

If something promising in the lines of expansion does come from it, Taylor was asked if NDSU will approach the league differently than last year.

“If they say they want to expand, then we’ll probably take a different look in how we approach them,” Taylor said. “I won’t say we’ll do it differently -- President Chapman will still play a major role -- but we’ll have to evaluate how we present ourselves to them. Whether it will be to be more aggressive or more behind the scenes, I don’t know.”

NDSU is in its first year of a five-year transition to Division I, although this year is being spent in Division II as part of exploratory concept. The school will spend at least its first year in Division I as an independent.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Bisonfan1234
02-18-2004, 08:21 PM
In the future i hope you realize that the Fargo Forum's intellectual property is not given away for free by their website. It's not simply a matter of registering; you actually have to pay for online articles.

The point i'm trying to make is by copy/pasting you're stealing from the forum.

I know this forum doesn't look highly upon theft and i certainly hope you don't.

If you want to make some original comments on the article, that is your right. Stealing the article is not.

Sac_State
02-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Who do I send my $.25 to? *???

'intelluctual property' is open for debate.

mojobison
02-18-2004, 08:32 PM
BF1234, the article is free for viewing for 30 days. You have to register to view it, but you do not have to pay. Haven't you ever read an article on the Fargo Forum before?

By the by, laws are the product of the government. Aren't you the guy who says the government is the devil?
:)

Bisonfan1234
02-18-2004, 11:02 PM
You DO have to pay to view the articles on Fargo Forum.

Yes, i know because i pay. It's not alot, but it's not free.

Why should i pay and other can simply look on here for free?

And the government has nothing to do with it. Property can be owned by the government, businesses, or consumers. I simply advocate that the government should own no property and have no control.

JACKGUY
02-18-2004, 11:06 PM
I read the Forum and I have never paid a cent and never will.

Flintstone
02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
I've been reading the forum online for a couple of years and have never been asked to pay for anything.

BisonBizzo
02-18-2004, 11:16 PM

Did you confuse yourself with some other "pay" sites you may have joined?

...haven't paid a dime on in-forum.com

runtheoption
02-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Bison1234, try www.in-forum.com.

You won't have to pay a dime. I promise.

D
02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
I also read on The Forum online for free. We all must have gotten some free online lifetime subscription.

somebison
02-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Many of the articles are available for free... however you can pay to view virtual paper here

http://www.forumnewspaper.com/

allowing access to all stories and photos as opposed to the ones they post for free online

JBB
02-19-2004, 12:03 AM
I didnt know about that. Its too hard to read. Say, I just found a Fargo Forum at the airport. Is it ok if I read it? Do I have an obligation to find the rightfull owner of this intellecual property?

Bisonfan1234
02-19-2004, 12:27 AM
OK i assumed all articles were pay service.

If that article is NOT one that you have to pay for, i'll take back my comments.

JBB, you don't have the right to read it. You're supposed to pay for your own copy. I doubt, however, the forum cares about a single copy being read by one or 2 non-paying people.

However, when you post articles online...an unlimited number of peopel can read it for free simply by coming to this site. This is not what the forum wants, i guaranty.

rocky
02-19-2004, 01:49 AM
I stopped for breakfast at Perkins today and read the paper. Where do I send my money? Whew...this is silly (and the only thing that has promted me to reply to a post).

Bisonguy
02-19-2004, 03:38 AM
From FOX news, it sounds like the Big Sky wants to add two teams later this year. One obviously is Idaho, who they are going to try to talk into moving back to I-AA. NDSU is still a possibility, probably if Idaho won't budge (I doubt they will move down).

Bisonfan1234
02-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Idaho and San Jose State to travel with Sac State.

Bison_Kent
02-19-2004, 09:40 AM
It is very doubtful if expansion happens this year that Idaho will be one of the schools. This season the 15,000 attendence minimum goes into affect and it would be at least two years before Idaho was forced down. They are not going to go willingly.

Also, with the talk of Sac State looking at their conference affiliation, a move out by them would mean three schools would be needed to get to 10.

I wonder if the Big Sky (should Sac State opt out) look at going to nine schools for a few years to have that 10th spot open for Idaho should they come back to the Big Sky.

Bison_Kent
02-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Here is the latest from the Forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50924

Big Sky official says NDSU on radar
By Jeff Kolpack
The Forum - 02/19/2004

The Big Sky Conference Council of Presidents took a wait-and-see attitude with expansion at its annual meeting Wednesday.

Dusty Clements, the Big Sky assistant director for media relations, said the half hour teleconference call did not yield any formal action.

"They decided to continue to lay low for a while and see how things shake out in other leagues," he said.

North Dakota State, which is beginning a Division I transition next year, has expressed interest in joining the league. Clements said NDSU's attraction was brought up during the meeting.

"They're still on the radar," he said.

Of apparent greater interest to the Big Sky is the future of the University of Idaho, currently a member of the Sun Belt Conference. There is speculation that Idaho won't meet new Division I football attendance requirements and may be forced to drop down a division in a few years.

Idaho is also said to be considering the Western Athletic Conference.

Clements said the presidents plan to talk about the expansion issue "extensively" at the spring meeting in Sacramento, Calif.

Clements said the presidents did not address getting the league to at least 10 teams.

"But they did talk about the difficulties of having nine teams," he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Sac_State
02-19-2004, 12:48 PM
'Clements said the presidents plan to talk about the expansion issue "extensively" at the spring meeting in Sacramento, Calif. '

I believe that is the first Big Sky meeting ever held in Sacto. When the Sky Brass meets it is usually in a covert, clandestine setting at the Denny's on the SLC airport property.

Maybe they want to meet the Govinator?

Sac_State
02-19-2004, 01:44 PM
'Idaho and San Jose State to travel with Sac State. '

Sac would be a GREAT travel partner for either SJSU or Nevada. Reno is about 130 miles east and SJSU is 124 miles south of Sac State. Too bad the current facilities and athletic infrastructure isn't there for Sac to make a move anytime soon. *

SiouxperMan
02-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Lloyd Chrismas said it best: "So you say there's a chance"

IowaBison
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
I give the odds of Idaho moving back down, about the same as NDSU returning to Division 2. Though I think it would be great if NDSU got into the Big Sky, the geographic argument hasn't changed.

Sac_State
02-19-2004, 03:11 PM
I don't see Idaho giving up its IA aspirations easily. It seems the only logical choice for UI is to rejoin the SKY though.

UI is in a horrible location for a IA school. No dense population base, Spokane is Wazzou territory, so it is going to be a BIG gap for the UI people to remian IA given their resource potential and fan base.

I think travel costs will be THE deciding factor for many schools who are realigning.

Bison_Kent
02-19-2004, 03:17 PM
The legislation to mandate a 15,000 attendance average is starting in this fall's I-A ranks. Last season, Idaho had just 12,500 or so as its average but also finished 3-8. But in talking with their AD, he felt that playing WAC opponents such as in-state rival Boise State, Utah State, and the other WAC schools will raise there attendance mark. I certainly hope they can. But even if they can't, it will take two season worth of data to force them down. The 15,000 mark can be missed one season and the school is placed on a sort of probation and if that attendance remains below the next season, they will be forced out of I-A football.

I am not sure the Big Sky is willing to wait two plus years before it knows if Idaho will come back, especially if Sac State looks to move after this season.

All and all, I think NDSU and SDSU will wind up in the Big Sky. They are close travel partners for non-football sports. They have by far the highest attendence marks in football and the best facilities of any of the new I-AA schools. UC-Davis has shown a committment to the Big West already. By going with any other two schools, there aren't a lot of travel possibilities. Southern Utah may be the only one that would look more advantageous in this regard as they are close to both N. Arizona and Weber State (UT). Northern Colorado, although look more like a Big Sky school, geographically speaking, are around 500 miles from its nearest Big Sky school in Weber State (Ogden, UT) and there aren't any schools that are closer looking to get into a I-AA conference. S. Utah, however, I believe hasn't shown a full committment to football. I don't believe they offer the full 63 scholarships that all Big Sky schools offer and are not accademically on par with the other Big Sky schools.

Just my opinion, but I think NDSU and SDSU will join the Big Sky and Sacramento State will leave this June. Sacramento State then will join the All-California Big West for all sports besides football and will join the new football conference and join fellow California schools UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, and St. Mary's; along with N. Colorado and S. Utah to make a nice six team league. Six is the minimum number for an automatic bid in the I-AA playoffs. I think N. Colorado will then join the Mid-Con for all non-football sports with Utah Valley State and the University of Denver. UVSU is also a new Division I school but does not support football. Denver is currently a non-football playing school that is in the Sun Belt for its sports (other then hockey). UVSU and S. Utah would be travel partners and Denver and N. Colorado would be travel partners and would make for a better situation in the Mid Con as S. Utah's current closest opponent is Missouri-Kansas City. This would put the Mid Con at 12 schools and most likely would make for East and West Divisions to be formed with Missouri-Kansas City and Oral Roberts (Tulsa, OK) as the other two West members and they would be travel partners.

Of course, this is a lot of speculation and maybe wishful thinking on my part. The next three to four months should be interesting.

Bisonfan1234
02-19-2004, 03:18 PM
'Idaho and San Jose State to travel with Sac State. '

Sac would be a GREAT travel partner for either SJSU or Nevada. Reno is about 130 miles east and SJSU is 124 miles south of Sac State. Too bad the current facilities and athletic infrastructure isn't there for Sac to make a move anytime soon. *

I meant that SJSU would join the big sky. They're in the same boat as UID as far as attendence requirements.

JACKGUY
02-19-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm sure at this point Idaho is just trying to save face. It's clear from an attendence and revenue stream standpoint they are better alligned with IAA and the Big Sky. I'm optimistic about SDSU and NDSU getting into the Big Sky. I just wonder how long we can put off the other schools in the proposed New Football Conference. I think eventually with the schools interested in the Great West that it could be a better football conference than the BIg Sky. Just feel Big Sky would be better fit for all sports.

JBB
02-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Looks like Idaho is in about the same position as NDSU and SDSU with regards to geography. I dont think they want to move back down any more that NDSU/SDSU would. If they did, its doubtful that NDSU or SDSU would enter the BSC alone. No travel partner in a 10 team league with Idaho.

The BSC has to decide if they want to be an 11-team league. If they do they could move on the NDSU/SDSU question anytime because in that scenario what Sac State does really isnt important. It would be a 10 or 11 team league if Idaho moves down, and a 9 or 10 team league if they didnt.

If travel costs are THE issue, its hard to see Sac State remaining where they are, especially if the BSC wants SDSU and NDSU to join. They couldnt get a cheaper setup then the Great West and the new football conference. It minimizes travel costs and maximizes local and regional competition. The latter is one of their underlying goals in the athletic mission statement. If their aim is to eventually move football to DI that would be a better arraignment than sticking with the BSC until that time comes.

Sac_State
02-19-2004, 05:36 PM
'It minimizes travel costs and maximizes local and regional competition.'

AWC, PCAA, NCAC, etc. the all Cali set-up has been tried before with failure each time. The snobbish Californians only want big time ball. They don't support the schools that play in a 'perceived' lesser division. Or they don't support the Big West programs to the extent that 40M people should support their local schools.

The only way a predominate Cali league would be successful in Cali would be if the schools were playing schools that the public perceives as 'big time'.

Sac, with 29,000 students, does not belong in a league with St. Mary's who has 5,000(?) or S. Utah who has 9,000(?) students. Economies of scale aside, the public finds it hard to attend a game when everyone knows St. Mary's has only 12 football schollies. And where is S.Utah?

Sac plays Davis, Poly and St. Mary's as non conference games every year anyway.

On the other hand, I don't ever see E.Washington or ISU moving to IA. They don't have the students or community to support it. So, the idea of the Sky going IA is remote. All of the schools outside Sac, Portland and Weber are in small rural towns. Land Grant status aside, it is tuition and student fees that pay for sports.

UM has the facilities, but only offers 14 varsity sports. I think any Western university that moves up to IA will need to be in a large metro area. UI and UM are not in a good position from that standpoint.

BTW, USA Today had a great front page article yesterday about college athletics. Where all this mess ends up is anybody's guess.

JBB
02-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Sac-State

So, it boils down to the expansion talks. If the league wants to expand the question is how many teams, 9, 10 or 11?

It seems unlikely they would expand by only 1 team unless it was Idaho. Without a firm comitment from Idaho, 10 or 11 is probably the number.

I think its also true that if Sac State left the BSC and joined the new football conference /Big West travel costs would be reduced, maybe substantially. If travel costs are the issue, than a Sac States move is more likely.

If I understand you, what kind of interest Sac State athletics generates in your region seems to be a wash, BSC or regional teams who cares? Apparently neither are of much interest to the star struck fans of California?

JBB
02-19-2004, 05:56 PM
dbl post sorry

Sac_State
02-19-2004, 06:58 PM
'If I understand you, what kind of interest Sac State athletics generates in your region seems to be a wash, BSC or regional teams who cares? Apparently neither are of much interest to the star struck fans of California.'

Exactly, the Sky draws more fans for Sac just because the majority of schools in the Sky represent a whole state and image, Montana, Idaho State, etc.

I would think football costs would remain the same in either league. Taking a 8 hour bus ride south to play tennis in San Diego or a 1 hour flight to Cheney is slicing a fine dime.

You get to the game cheaper on a bus, but you have road rash and lost a ton of class time or you hop on Southwest airlines for a $99 cheap fare and take care of business in half the time.

I can't get a take on what direction Sac State wants to take concerning league affiliation. No indications other than the Sky holding their Spring meeting in Sacto.

JBB
02-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Holding the meetings at your place seems like a nod in your direction, a gesture of respect. If the Dakotas ever got into the BSC I would want Sac State there too. I think the question is add 1, add 3 or add none.

Bison_Kent
02-20-2004, 03:37 PM
News on Idaho:

They have released their football schedule and have just four home games listed (this is the new minimum set forth by recent NCAA legislation for the next two seasons for I-A schools). Two of their home games are going to be played in Washington State's Stadium in Pullman, while the other two are in their true home, the KibbieDome. Pullman and Moscow, ID are about 9 miles apart.

The first "home" game is against Washington State and will be at Pullman. So if that is a sellout at 33,000 as is expected, Idaho will need to average just 9,000 in their remaining three home games and that seems very likely as last year they finished 3-9 but had a over a 12,000 average. The remaining three home games are against Sunbelt competion.

Idaho won't be going anywhere after next season and probably not after the one after that.

Sac_State
02-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Holding the meetings at your place seems like a nod in your direction, a gesture of respect. *If the Dakotas ever got into the BSC I would want Sac State there too. *I think the question is add 1, add 3 or add none.

I see Sac, PSU and NAU as the only Sky teams that might move in the future. The rest have no where else to really go.

With the few amount of IAA schools in the west, I don't think it really matters if the Sky adds 1, 2 or 3 teams. Bottomline is the Sky wants the BEST of the litter from the western IAA's.

I would rather add Idaho, NDSU & SDSU then S.Utah, N.Colo and/or the other new Utah school. Hell, it might be better to add as many as possible and break the conference into two divisions...

Pacific division=Sac, PSU, EWU, NAU, Idaho, Davis/Poly/SJSU(?)

Inter-Mountain division=UM, MSU, Weber, ISU, NDSU, SDSU

Bisonfan1234
02-20-2004, 05:25 PM
News on Idaho:

They have released their football schedule and have just four home games listed (this is the new minimum set forth by recent NCAA legislation for the next two seasons for I-A schools). *Two of their home games are going to be played in Washington State's Stadium in Pullman, while the other two are in their true home, the KibbieDome. *Pullman and Moscow, ID are about 9 miles apart. *

The first "home" game is against Washington State and will be at Pullman. *So if that is a sellout at 33,000 as is expected, Idaho will need to average just 9,000 in their remaining three home games and that seems very likely as last year they finished 3-9 but had a over a 12,000 average. *The remaining three home games are against Sunbelt competion.

Idaho won't be going anywhere after next season and probably not after the one after that. *

That's complete bullshit!

Their average home game attendence should only be counted at their home stadium.

Bison_Kent
02-20-2004, 05:33 PM
I won't condone what Idaho is doing either but it is within the laws of home games from the NCAA. I believe two home stadiums can be used as long as the second home is used for two games.

However, other schools and some that are BCS caliber do the same thing. For example, Arkansas plays two "home" games in Little Rock (Fayetteville is its real home).

JBB
02-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Theres nothing wrong with that, in fact, I believe SDSU is planning home games in Sioux Falls.

NDSU_grad
02-20-2004, 06:44 PM
While I agree that there is nothing wrong with that practice in principle, the way Idaho is using it does seem a bit underhanded. *Of course, if it means us getting into the Sky I say go for it.

Sac_State
02-20-2004, 08:01 PM
'(Fayetteville is its real home). '

But that is a neutral town, location. I think AF sold it's 'home' game to Seattle next year. Which is Husky's backyard as the 'visitor'.

That would be like NDSU playing the Sioux in Fargo with the Sioux as the 'home' team.

If Idaho can't get their OWN facility up to at least 25K, it is a sign they just don't have the resources to be a legit IA. The MAC has some teams that have 22K and 25ish seating capacity.

That dome is killing them. They should build an outdoor set-up, it's much cheaper to build than adding to the Kibbie.

Maybe take the Sky to 12 teams and have a conference divisional playoff like the big boys, with the winner getting the NCAA playoff bid.

It would keep everyone in a conference, in a regional setting, with expanded conference exposure in the post season conference play. And the ability to play regional non-conference traditional rivals. And a guaranteed NCAA bid.

win, win, win for everyone.

Bisonguy
02-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Sac-State,

Throw in some TV $$$ for a conference championship to seal the deal ;D

Sounds good to me.

Bisonfan1234
02-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Theres nothing wrong with that, in fact, I believe SDSU is planning home games in Sioux Falls.

Ok...how about this then:

you can use another stadium but the most it can count toward your season average fans is a sell-out at your home stadium.

So, in the example of Idaho playing at WSU, the most it would be able to count is 16,000 even if 34,000 show up.

JBB
02-20-2004, 09:19 PM
One of these days the suck may rent the Fabulous Fargo Dome. If there is a major weather event that prevents outside play it could very well happen. I remember one year when at least 3 games were held in the Dakota Dome due to a major storm. Nobody could get their fields ready to play and it was simply too cold. I would love to rent it to them. It would be funny to have them pay to play in Fargo and not even get the BISON.

This isnt the first time Idaho has done this so they have the tradition.

Sac State, your on the right track now. I presume the 12 team league would include Idaho, UNC, NDSU and SDSU. Sounds great to me.

NDSU_grad
02-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Ummm, JBB, I think Upstate Normal School already plays in a dome. As for the 12 team conference, I don't know how having a championship game would work with the current I-AA playoff format. Also, I don't think Dr. Pepper would shell out 12 million or whatever it is for the BSC championship.

somebison
02-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Ummm, JBB, I think Upstate Normal School already plays in a dome. *As for the 12 team conference, I don't know how having a championship game would work with the current I-AA playoff format. *Also, I don't think Dr. Pepper would shell out 12 million or whatever it is for the BSC championship.

Maybe not Dr. Pepper... but I heard Taylor has talked to Mr. Pibb and he sounds interested ::)

IowaBison
02-20-2004, 09:57 PM
How about Grain Belt?

JBB
02-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Ummm, JBB, I think Upstate Normal School already plays in a dome. *As for the 12 team conference, I don't know how having a championship game would work with the current I-AA playoff format. *Also, I don't think Dr. Pepper would shell out 12 million or whatever it is for the BSC championship.

Well I guess I dont know, Ive really never heard of them.
??? :P

Sac_State
02-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Idaho, N. Colo, S. Utah the latter two play baseball too.

Instead of playing 11 regular season games play 10, with the championship counting as the 11th. Then to the dance.

I am sure the beef people could raise some $$ for a Sky bowl, or the fruit co-op's of Cali. Hell, I think a nice $200K payout would be a gold mine for the winner.

WYOBISONMAN
02-21-2004, 05:41 AM
I would think that with a conference of that size a payout for the Conference Championship could be decent for sure.

JBB
02-21-2004, 02:26 PM
I think the key is sharing revenues with the league.

BisonMav
02-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Bison Beat on the Big Sky
Bison Beat Link (http://www.bisoninsider.com/)

This is pretty much reality.
GWFC is the future for the Bison.

WYOBISONMAN
02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
I like Trainer's articles for the most part, but I think he is all wet on this one. The BSC may not really want to expand as far east as Fargo and Brookings, but reality is there are not to many options out there for quality expansion teams. In the end, the BSC will go to NDSU and SDSU to maintain the quality of the conference.

Answer_Man
02-24-2004, 06:37 PM
It's just like JD wrote. Your perception of NDSU and SDSU is different than someone else's. I would like to see the NDSU join the BSC, but right now I'm pretty excited to be part of a new football conference. :o

JBB
02-24-2004, 11:15 PM
What JD says makes a lot of sense. It puts a damper on the enthusiasm of the past few days, lots of postitive signs seemed to be coming from BSC fans and the conference itself. In the end JDs information may be correct. But I also think its very unlikely any DIA programs will move down to DI-AA involuntarily.

I have always felt the Mid Con was a good option.

One thing not mentioned was sac State. What if they leave?

Bisonguy
02-24-2004, 11:22 PM
As for schools moving down, the president of Tulane was on Nightline (?) and spoke about the finances of collegiate athletics. He said Tulane thought about moving down to I-AA, and the community basically told him that it was not going to happen. There's too much pride in I-A, Idaho won't move down.

Trainer
02-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Geez, I don't want to put any damper on any BSC enthusiasm, because I too believe that the BSC is the best option. But combined with the information I received and the formation of the new football conference my spirits are dampened. Five years down the line who knows..... As for Sac. State, I think the BSC will call their bluff. Sac. State and California, in general, has severe money problems and a move to DI-A doesn't appear in the cards. Just can't see or believe it.... Nor can I believe Sac. State would leave the Big Sky to join a newly formed football conference. Just my take... go on with your gut.

Bisonfan1234
02-25-2004, 12:13 AM
California public schools are definately hurting for money.

This is why i could see San Jose State droping down and joining the sky. Same with Idaho (dispite claims that they'll never do it).

JBB
02-25-2004, 12:25 AM
I think Sac State is a likely move out of the BSC to join the Great West and the new football conference. *I think overall it would cut their travel costs and thats important with the budget in the shape its in. *Their move to DIA football is a long way off if at all.

Beating the Griz shouldnt affect the way the BSC feels, but of course perceptions are everything. *Even if we arent in the BSC they are competing against us. *After all the conference is going for an auto bid and we will be in DI-AA football. *They can run but they cant hide. *Somebody is going to lose a spot to the new conference and or the new teams if they are in the BSC or not.

I wouldnt slam the door on the BSC yet. *But I think its Mid-con/GWF, Independent, BSC, Gateway/MVC in that order of probability.

Trainer
02-25-2004, 12:43 AM
For whatever reason, do you guys feel that the BSC wants the new football conference to succeed or fail? I've been getting the feeling that they would like another western conference....

Bisonfan1234
02-25-2004, 04:02 AM
They couldve always scheduled those teams NC.

I don't think they care much.

JBB
02-25-2004, 01:16 PM
I have the same feeling as Trainer. There is a void out here and thats why I think the new conference is looked on favorably by a lot of DI-AA fans. Its too bad it cant be all sports.

Bisonguy
03-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Interesting twist to the Big Sky expansion conference call last week (WDAY 6:00 news tonight). Apparently, Steve Hallstrom has been talking to the AD's and presidents from the Big Sky this week. They had an "unofficial" vote to see if any members wanted to see the Big Sky expand into the Dakotas. The "unofficial" vote was 8-0 against having SDSU/NDSU in the Big Sky. WDAY will have a feature on NDSU's move to DI and concerns on wednesday.

Bison_Kent
03-02-2004, 01:25 AM
I heard that too on the WDAY news. Not good news for those wanting the Big Sky. I did hear a similar story from Wanless from Sac State last Friday but he thought that expansion efforts were being put on the backburner for any schools. Of course, he also told me that Sac State's future is in the Big Sky so I kind of took it with a grain of salt.

Bisonguy
03-02-2004, 01:38 AM
They have been discussing this some on Prime Time Sports tonight. Hallstrom said that the Mid-Con, Horizon, and Sunbelt could still be possibilities, with the Mid-Con being the strongest possibility because they want to expand. Gene Taylor brought up some good points against the Big Sky being more difficult travel, and fewer NDSU alumni located in the west. There's more alumni in the metro areas of the Mid-Con, Horizon, and Sunbelt and travel is easier into the larger metros. Who knows, maybe an all-sport conference like the one Paulie suggested might end up being the solution. ???

WYOBISONMAN
03-02-2004, 02:08 AM
I am a fan of moving to the BSC, but we have to ride the horse that is in the corral.....and if the BSC ain't in the corral, we ride a different horse. It is the Big Sky's loss....

89rabbit
03-02-2004, 02:29 AM
They have been discussing this some on Prime Time Sports tonight. Hallstrom said that the Mid-Con, Horizon, and Sunbelt could still be possibilities, with the Mid-Con being the strongest possibility because they want to expand. Gene Taylor brought up some good points against the Big Sky being more difficult travel, and fewer NDSU alumni located in the west. There's more alumni in the metro areas of the Mid-Con, Horizon, and Sunbelt and travel is easier into the larger metros. Who knows, maybe an all-sport conference like the one Paulie suggested might end up being the solution. *???

Wow, Sunbelt that is a new one. They have Idaho right? Don't they play I-A football? Just wondering, don't know much about them.

somebison
03-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Wow, Sunbelt that is a new one. *They have Idaho right? *Don't they play I-A football? *Just wondering, don't know much about them. *

Sunbelt does play IA football, however WKU plays Sun Belt hoops and play IAA football in the Gateway. Also Denver which does not play FB is in the SunBelt

Bisonfan1234
03-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Screw the Big Suck. The only reason i dog them so much is that i knew they never wanted us in the first place and that's been confirmed now.

Charger
03-02-2004, 04:34 AM
I'm really surprised that the Sun Belt was mentioned. I looked at their web page and, although they are Southern based, they have teams from the West as well. In basketball they currently have 11 teams divided into two divisions.

East Division
Arkansas-Little Rock
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Arkansas State
Florida International

West Division
Louisiana-Lafayette
New Orleans
North Texas
South Alabama
Denver
New Mexico State

I think North Texas is moving to a different conference eventually and another Florida school is moving in. New Mexico State might be moving as well. If UNC joined they could be travel partners with Denver and the Dakotas could join them in the west division. Does anyone know what teams are leaving and what ones are staying in the SunBelt?

somebison
03-02-2004, 04:35 AM
I beleive Florida International (IAA semifinalist last year) is moving to the Sun Belt

Charger
03-02-2004, 04:37 AM
I found this one their web page as well:
"Coming in the 2005-06 academic year, Idaho and Troy State University will compete in the Sun Belt Conference in all sports." That would add another western university. This conference could be another legit option.

IowaBison
03-02-2004, 04:45 AM
I think it's only fitting that this news is broken on a day when there is a blizzard in North Dakota... NDSU/Sun Belt .... makes sense to me.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
03-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Its been discussed that North Texas might join the WAC

The Sunbelt is not a very good football conference, but a decent basketball league, I would be excited about that if it came to fruition. And since I live in Dallas I could catch lots of road games ;D

New Mex St. I think accepted an invitation to the WAC also.

89rabbit
03-02-2004, 05:23 AM
*Does anyone know what teams are leaving and what ones are staying in the SunBelt?

This ought to help:

http://collegesportsinfo.com/grid/

Go State!

ralph
03-02-2004, 07:23 AM
I beleive Florida International (IAA semifinalist last year) is moving to the Sun Belt
You mean Florida Atlantic was a I-AA semifinalist last year. Both FAU and FIU are headed to the Sun Belt next year (FAU (http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51297), FIU (http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51316)).

BisonMav
03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
The Sunbelt is already divided into an East and West Division for basketball. If NMST and North Texas leave for another conference. An Addition of NDSU and SDSU with Idaho and Denver already in the conference, would give some regionality to the West. The West would still have six teams. The best part would be the probationary period would drop to five years, instead of thirteen years.

JBB
03-03-2004, 02:44 PM
What about the auto bid?

D
03-03-2004, 06:41 PM
The Sun Belt has an autobid like every other conference, but if a team is a prvisional team like NDSU and SDSU they play the normal league schedule but don't play the conference tourney until they are eligible.

Sun Belt is, IMO, the most underrated mid-major conference along with the Big West. New Orleans, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee St, and New Mexico St all have good mid-major programs and traditions. New Mexico St is coached by the immortal Lou Henson. Louisianna-Lafeyette is a team that if they win the confernce tourney could win a gaem or 2 in the NCAAs. Their center, Michael Southall, a SO, should at worst be an NBA 1st round pick and will likely be a lottery pick when he goes. Another guard on the team, Orien Greene, will play in the NBA someday also. He started at Florida as a FR and SO. Florida International is a program on the rise. They have recruitied extremely wel the past 3 years but took a step back last year with a sub-par season. The Sub Belt would be a great league to play in, whether it is really an option, I am a bit not sure.

Bison_Kent
03-03-2004, 06:58 PM
One thing about the Sun Belt, they are losing New Mexico State and Utah State (just football) after this upcoming season. Those two schools are moving to the WAC. They are adding the two new to I-A Florida schools in Florida International and Florida Atlantic.

I am not sure NDSU and SDSU would be a good fit though. Idaho, North Texas, and Denver will be the only teams west of the Mississippi River.

Going here does not excite me other then the loophole for the basketball tournament. I wonder if after the five year period, NDSU and SDSU could move to another conference without penality.