PDA

View Full Version : Interim Montana AD article

Bison_Kent
03-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Here is a Missoula article on the interim AD at Montana.

Just found it interesting:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2004/03/08/news/local/news02.txt

tony
03-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Here's another Big Sky related article - interesting mainly because it mentions the possibility of Sac State jumping to the Great West Conference.

Arizona Daily Sun (http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=83368)

Man, DI seems to be a minefield for a lot of schools. We're going to have to be very careful at NDSU.

Bisonfan1234
03-08-2004, 04:43 PM
I think there is one thing you aren't noticing about a lot of schools in D1 that are struggling: they're not the only D1 schools in their area.

The closest D1 school to NDSU would be UMN 240 miles away in Minneapolis and *SDSU 190 miles away in Brookings.

The rest of those schools are in much closer proximity to other D1 schools.

Also, not that i'm as sure that this makes a difference, but NDSU would be the only school in the state that is D1 while other schools are in states with many other D1 schools.

uncbear
03-09-2004, 02:19 AM
I think there is one thing you aren't noticing about a lot of schools in D1 that are struggling: they're not the only D1 schools in their area.

The closest D1 school to NDSU would be UMN 240 miles away in Minneapolis and *SDSU 190 miles away in Brookings.

The rest of those schools are in much closer proximity to other D1 schools.

Also, not that i'm as sure that this makes a difference, but NDSU would be the only school in the state that is D1 while other schools are in states with many other D1 schools.

I think that you are correct. That is why I am nervous about UNC's move. I think that UNC will do just fine but I know that the Dakota schools will do well. The fact that you are the only D-I schools in your states put you in an enviable position in my opinion.

UNC does have a little of that going for its baseball team. Air Force is the only other D-I baseball team in the state so I foresee UNC's baseball team doing well.

The other thing is that UNC is the only D-IAA school in the state so they really aren't competing with the D-IA schools (because the D-IA programs will almost always get the more touted recruits) and they win out in recruiting against D-II schools.

UNC's position is definitely more precarious than NDSU's.