PDA

View Full Version : Rocky's got a job

somebison
03-10-2004, 09:19 PM
http://www.gonu.com/football/news/031004.htm

Bisonguy
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
I wonder if Bohl can schedule a game with Rocky? Anybody know if Northeastern has any open weeks?

Congrats, Rocky!

somebison
03-10-2004, 09:27 PM
http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/316

they started advertising for a game on 9/11 or 9/4 next year ... somebody call Taylor they want a home game next year as part of a home/home!

somebison
03-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Looking at the open date list Cal-Poly put up an advertisement for a game on Monday and got a game on Tues. Too bad we can't do that. :-/

Bison_Kent
03-10-2004, 10:12 PM
We knew this first year would be tough as NDSU will count as a DII team against I-AA teams and as a I-AA against DII teams.

I am sure there will be some DII schools on the schedule this upcoming year but the 2005 season should be better as NDSU will count as a I-AA oppenent to everyone.

somebison
03-10-2004, 10:18 PM
I was a little too quick Northeastern doesn't have "compatible" open date. :-/

tony
03-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Concordia St. Paul announced that they hired Coach Mauer today too.

JBB
03-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Thats excellent news about Rocky. It was a good Bio. It kind of makes you think he would have looked good back in BISON land. Congratulations to Coach Hager.

As far as the schedule goes I guess I really wouldnt care if we filled all the open dates on the road. it would payoff in the future with 8 teams owning NDSU a home game.

roadwarrior
03-11-2004, 04:38 AM
Gene Taylor should update our open dates on the afca listing.

BisonInTexas
03-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Congrats to Coach Hager. I hope the Bison set up a game with Northeastern sometime in the future. The last sentence in the bio made me feel really old, however...

He and his wife, Peggy, have three children, Rebecca (20), Tiffanee (25) and Joshua (29).

I remember Josh as a 10 year old and Rebecca as a toddler - time flies...

Craig

Sac_State
03-11-2004, 06:37 PM
I rember that coach spanking Sac's ass in '88 at Dakotah Field. Jeff Bentrum(sp?) was the back I believe.
Every other play was Dive up the middle!

Bisonguy
03-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Bentrim was the QB from 83-86. Simdorn was the QB from the Sac. State game. Here's a brief recap of the game -http://www.bisonville.com/zg001923.html

Sac_State
03-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks, that's just what I needed, a 16 year recap.

That DAMN option play. Couldn't stop it. Most Sky teams flop when the option is played. We are a West Coast style offense. Run to set up the pass. NDSU ran that day to run.

Sac_State
03-11-2004, 07:20 PM
The receiver for Sac, Weaver played in the '88 game at NDSU. About six years later, Weaver played for the University of Texas-Austin. It was a big stink that Weaver somehow duped the NCAA into letting him have 'two NCAA' football careers.

There was a big article about Weaver and UT a few years ago. I think the ruse was uncovered right before a UT bowl game.

Trainer
03-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Here's an article.....

Ron Weaver became someone else just so he could play football
The story of the football impostor, Ron Weaver, did not end after the Sugar Bowl. In fact, it grew daily. Following the bowl game, UT officials immediately began investigating the situation and eventually hired a Dallas firm to help. As investigators from the U.S. attorney's office, the FBI, the Travis County district attorney's office, and UT police delved into the case, research discovered that Weaver may have placed bets for his teammates. UT Athletics Director Deloss Dodds said the University found the gambling was limited to a small number of athletes and was related only to non-UT football and basketball games.

Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated pinned down Weaver, who until then had avoided talking to any reporters, for an interview at his sister's apartment in California. The story was nothing less than cinematic. Weaver detailed his scheme, which began when he adopted the identity of his 20-year-old acquaintance Ron McKelvey, following four years of football at Sacramento State University. Armed only with tuition and a false Social Security number, Weaver registered at Pierce junior college in California. After adopting McKelvey's Social Security number, earning his associate's degree, and playing two years of football at Pierce, Weaver was recruited by Texas defensive back coaches and received a full scholarship to UT.

Since he is out of the NCAA's jurisdiction and since McKelvey neither confirms nor denies involvement in the scam, Weaver's only punishment will probably be reimbursing UT for his $6,000 scholarship. He says all he wanted to do was play football, claiming that McKelvey had agreed to his deceptive plan "over beers at his house one night."

Dodds says that because Weaver came to UT with junior college records referring to him as McKelvey, the University would have almost needed fingerprints to correctly identify him. Recruiters, therefore, do not plan to change their procedures because of the incident. "When the paperwork comes in and that's what it says, there's really not much you can do about it," Dodds says.

Now that the tangled story of deceit has unraveled, reporters speculate on possible books and movie deals, and anything relating to Weaver takes on new meaning. In his 1995 Media Guide profile for example, Weaver gives this advice to youngsters: "Expand your horizons, you'll never know what hidden talent you may have."

Bisonguy
03-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Gene Taylor was on WDAY-AM today talking about the tailgating vote, and said he congratulated Rocky yesterday. He also stated he talked to the assistant AD at Northeastern about a game this year. Northeastern wants a home game, and of course, Gene wants a home game. He said he hadn't talked to Rocky about a game yet, though.

Sac_State
03-11-2004, 11:03 PM
I've got footage of Weaver catching a touchdown at Santa Clara. The year they later axed the program. Too bad, it was a nice venue to watch a game, Buck Shaw stadium. I have a game ball branded with 'Santa Clara football' stamped in the leather. And no it wasn't the game ball ::), but it was used. 8)

Santa Clara and Sac always played tough.