PDA

View Full Version : Sac State approves RWEC

Sac_State
04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
So long Suck State, hello Hollywood!

With the passage the Hornet athletics budget just jumped to $15M a year, up from $8.2.

Looks like Sac won't be leaving the Sky, unless it wants to.

This article was written by a member of the paper who opposed the referendum. Can you say bitter? Not one mention of the 55.2% of the voters who are estatic with the outcome.

*2004 ASI ELECTIONS *

RWEC passes with 55 percent of vote

by Daniel Lopez
April 29, 2004

Third times a charm as students finally approved the building of a Recreation Wellness and Events Center at Sacramento State after the idea had been voted down twice in the past. The RWEC, officially Measure 1 on the ballot, passed with 55.2 percent of the vote.

“I’ve wanted to see Sac State have a rec center for along time,” said Graduate Student Nicole Sandlin, who helped lead the push for the expansion. “I’m proud of the students at Sac State.”

According Sac State’s Web site, the total estimated cost of the project will be $73,166,000. Students will be expected to pay for the majority of the project through increased fees.

Not everyone was supportive of the election results. Xico Gonzalez a student at Sac State and member of the Associate Student Inc. spearheaded the effort to stop the center from being built. Gonzalez said that he did not object to the idea of a new recreation center, rather he disliked the idea of having student fees increased to complete the project.

“How can we build a rec center when our classrooms are all messed up,” said Gonzalez.

“President Gonzalez spent $100,000 (on an ad campaign) trying to brainwash all these students.”

The center is expected to be completed in 2008 and $110 student fee will should go into effect once the President Gonzales raises the initial $25 million. The expected date of these increases is between 2006-2007.

89rabbit
04-29-2004, 03:06 PM
So long Suck State, hello Hollywood!

With the passage the Hornet athletics budget just jumped to $15M a year, up from $8.2.

Looks like Sac won't be leaving the Sky, unless it wants to.

This article was written by a member of the paper who opposed the referendum. Can you say bitter? Not one mention of the 55.2% of the voters who are estatic with the outcome.

*2004 ASI ELECTIONS *

RWEC passes with 55 percent of vote

by Daniel Lopez
April 29, 2004

Third times a charm as students finally approved the building of a Recreation Wellness and Events Center at Sacramento State after the idea had been voted down twice in the past. The RWEC, officially Measure 1 on the ballot, passed with 55.2 percent of the vote.

“I’ve wanted to see Sac State have a rec center for along time,” said Graduate Student Nicole Sandlin, who helped lead the push for the expansion. “I’m proud of the students at Sac State.”

According Sac State’s Web site, the total estimated cost of the project will be $73,166,000. Students will be expected to pay for the majority of the project through increased fees.

Not everyone was supportive of the election results. Xico Gonzalez a student at Sac State and member of the Associate Student Inc. spearheaded the effort to stop the center from being built. Gonzalez said that he did not object to the idea of a new recreation center, rather he disliked the idea of having student fees increased to complete the project.

“How can we build a rec center when our classrooms are all messed up,” said Gonzalez.

“President Gonzalez spent $100,000 (on an ad campaign) trying to brainwash all these students.”

The center is expected to be completed in 2008 and $110 student fee will should go into effect once the President Gonzales raises the initial $25 million. The expected date of these increases is between 2006-2007.

Sac,

are you counting the cost of building the arena in your athletic budget or is there a provision in the referendum that is not mentioned in the story? As far as leaving the Sky, I think it has always been Sac-States choice. I have not read anything that said Sac-State was on the verge of being kicked out of the Big Sky.

tony
04-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Holy cow, a 15 million dollar athletic budget is huge!

Even with the vote, I don't think there was any way that Sac State was going to leave the Big Sky unless they wanted to.

Sac_State
04-29-2004, 04:19 PM
News conference at 10AM PST

http://www.csus.edu/news/042904vote.stm

NDSU_grad
04-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I was thinking about that 73 million dollar building and was wondering what it would cost to build it in ND. I would guess less than half that number, maybe considerably less than half.

JBB
04-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Land would be the #1 difference, labor and regulatory expenses might be less too, but building construction costs in a northern climate are a lot more than costs in the warm climates. Just a guess, but costs should be fairly competitive.

Flintstone
04-29-2004, 05:02 PM
According to RSMeans Building Construction Cost Data, it would cost approximately 25% more to construct the building in Sacramento than Fargo. This does not take into consideration the price of the land that the project is to be constructed on.

JBB
04-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Ill buy into that. **Im finding similar results in Marshall Swift. *There must be extra costs for earthquake protection? *If you include land it could get to 50%!

Sac_State
04-29-2004, 06:15 PM
The land for the RWEC is to be located on the current dump of a fieldhouse. The endzones of the football stadium will be enclosed and a bowl formed. Now, if we could just get a few winning campaigns in a row under our belt.

tony
04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Sac-State, that really sounds great. It's amazing how much has changed in the last few months - from rumors of Sacramento dropping football to the announcment that your stadium is going to get turned into a bowl... gotta like that. That's rumors for you.

It's amazing that a recreation center can cost that much. You'd get a much better deal in North Dakota.

In North Dakota, you could spend that much to build an arena and keep the thing for your own use and still gain controlling interest over an entire university (and we'd throw in the State Board of Higher Education too) - all for the low, low, low cost of letting the school use it a couple times a year. Now that's a bargain!

WYOBISONMAN
04-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Congrats to Sac State. *I wish them luck in the future and hope we get to meet in Football!

Sac_State
04-29-2004, 08:38 PM
With the scarcity of western teams, I am sure it will only be a matter of time until the Hornets and Bison meet again on the gridiron.

This will set in motion much speculation and rumor. With the increased budget, facilities and galvanized community, I say that with some winning seasons, Sac will be looking to move up into IA.

Yes, it is absolutely amazing what a good leader can do. I languished for 16 years following a program that had sucky facilities and a lack of vision by the old Pres. Gerth.

I say Gonzalez has done more in one year than Gerth did in 19 years of running the school.

Bisonguy
04-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Good news for Sac State. ;D

Maybe with the turmoil that could happen in the WAC Sac State is looking to move up.