PDA

View Full Version : The Great West v. Big Sky

WYOBISONMAN
05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
I just tallied up all the games between the GWC and the BSC and there are a total of 14 games. I am sure that is more that we play with any other single conference. Maybe through this interconfence play we can see who really is the "BEST IN THE WEST"....could be the makings of an interesing trophy....

The Games:

Sept. 4
Southern Utah @ Weber State

Sept. 11
Cal Poly @ Idaho State

Sept. 18
Idaho State @ Northern Colorado
Cal Poly @ Montana State
Cal Davis @ Weber State
Southern Utah @ Sac State

Sept. 25
Northern Colorado @ Montana
Sac State @ Cal Davis

Oct. 23
South Dakota State @ Montana State

Nov. 6th
North Dakota State @ Weber State
Cal Poly @ Eastern Washington

Nov. 20th
Cal Davis @ Portland State
Idaho State @ Southern Utah
Cal Poly @ Sac State

Bison_Kent
05-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Here is how I would see the games as of now (but of course this could change when we get closer to and into the season):

Sept. 4. Weber in a close one over SUU in the I-AA battle of Utah.

Sept. 11. *Idaho State in another close game over Cal Poly.

Sept. 18. *N. Colorado wins comfortably in Greeley over Idaho State.
Montana State wins a squeaker over Cal Poly in Bozeman.
UC Davis wins big at Weber.
Sac State wins big over SUU.

Sept. 25. *Montana learned its lesson against NDSU last year and will be ready for UNC and win by a couple TDs.
UC Davis contiues its dominance against Sac State in the Causeway Classic.

Oct. 23. *Montana State wins by a TD late over SDSU.

Nov. 6. NDSU wins big in Ogden over Weber.
Cal Poly finally wins on the road against a Big Sky school in beating E. Washington.

Nov. 20. UC Davis takes care of Portland St. in a tight battle in Portland.
Idaho State wins big in Cedar City against SUU.
Cal Poly gets its second Big Sky (out of four) road victory at Sac State.

If my predictions come true, it will be a tie; 7 wins for the Big Sky and 7 for the Great West. *Lets see what happens on the field though.

WYOBISONMAN
05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I guess I am a chicken....I just posted the games, but made no predictions.... ;)

roadwarrior
05-07-2004, 10:01 PM
With only 5 conference games for the GWC teams, I really hope to see a lot more games with the Big Sky teams in future years.

We have already played Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Weber, Portland and Sacramento in the past. These would be great non-conference games for the BISON, both at home and on the road.

JBB
05-09-2004, 10:34 PM
I agree the Dakota schools have to get more BSC schools in the rotation. The BSC and of course the Gateway are naturals for us.

WYOBISONMAN
05-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Geez....there go those Minnesota guys again.....Gate who???

Bisonfan1234
05-10-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm all for competition with the Big Sky.

We don't belong anywhere near that conference...but we can certainly play them.

JBB
05-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Cedar Rapid Iowa is the closest DI-AA town outside of Brookings as far as I know anyway. Im all for a home home with UNI.

The main thing about DI-AA is the travel. In the old NCC everything, at least for the most part was a day trip. Now, its all overnight with the RV or motels, depending on the weather.

Lets get it on with both of those conferences and anybody else willing to step up.

lucchesicourt
05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
I just hope that the Big West will demonstrate that even though most clubs are on probation, they deserve the opportunity to participate in the playoffs. And, that the committe, will decrease the number of years a team has to wait before they are allowed the chance to compete.

WYOBISONMAN
05-10-2004, 03:33 PM
I agree with the home and home against UNI.....I am sure that will happen at some time since both schools are so close to each other. Clearly both would gain from this competition.

IowaBison
05-10-2004, 04:51 PM
It seems like an obvious rivalry, hopefully that purple pussy cats have the guts to play a strong non-conference opponent.

BraxtonT
05-10-2004, 08:24 PM
JBB,

A correction to your post about the University of Northern Iowa. It is actually in Cedar Falls, not Cedar Rapids.

It will be an hour closer for Bison fans to travel. I'm looking forward to the day when the Panthers are added to the schedule.

JBB
05-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks BraxtonT. I knew that too, just miss-spoke, I guess you could say that. I live in Willmar, MN So Im already half way there. St. Cloud has been my closest game but I would go to all the NCC stadiums except Greely. Most were day trips but My wife and I would often football overnight expecially in Sioux Falls and Fargo.

Proud_Griz_Man
05-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Please give me your thoughts Bison fans.

I believe that the GWC will be good for 1-AA football, especially for the BSC and the western US. Regarding GWC vs. the BSC, I think a "challenge trophy" is a great idea (and posted comments on eGriz.com).

My post said:
I would prefer if there were 2 sequential weekends in September or October where BSC teams could match up against GWC teams, and have a non-conference show-down. I think the idea of a "challenge trophy" is a great one. Go Griz!

Jag's post said:
Proud Griz Man: Now that is a good idea.
Last years BSC one plays GW one, 2 on 2 & so on. The second weekend is a rotating game so everybody will play everybody at some point. After two weeks the conferance with the best record wins. (ACC and Big 10 do this in BB) This would help the ADs becouse they would only be left with 2 games to sched. Only problem: if you have Northern Colorado on your sched for the second weekend and they finnish in the same spot as you; resulting in having to play the same team 2 weeks in a row. (I sure something could be figured out.)

My reply said:
We are on the same page Jag. I read some NDSU messages that match our philosophy too. The main key is to get all AD's to block out two sequential weekends in late-September or in early-October. The games have to be played simultaneously to generate "tournament" atmosphere. This should generate good publicity, and pump up schedule strengths.

The seeding could be adjusted each year to provide variety (i.e. BSC#1 vs. GWC#2, BSC#2 vs. GWC#1, etc.). The point is to match conferences and generate good rivalries, but not match the same teams each year. AD's must decide on a minimum $$ travel guarantee, and commit. Go Griz!

WYOBISONMAN
05-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Proud_Griz...

I say, "Right On!" This could be a competition that would garner both conferences some national recognition early in the season. A trophy that would be won and could be on display at the winning school would add to the excitement. It would be a rivalry between conferences the likes of which D1AA has never seen.

Bison_Dan
05-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Great idea! ;D ;D Already the BSC fans are step above in class and ideas than the airheads up north. ::)

dnk
05-15-2004, 05:57 AM
B Dan,
Just wanted to point out that it's KNUCKLEHEADS, not
airheads.

ralph
05-15-2004, 07:04 AM
... It would be a rivalry between conferences the likes of which D1AA has never seen...
I-AA saw the OVC vs. the GFC this past year in a celebrated Conference Challenge. *Ok, the GFC won every game... it was still celebrated! *And it was all I-AA. *The more the merrier with our new brethren.

WYOBISONMAN
05-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Ralph....I am talkin' some serious quality competition here. This one would get great exposure in the intermountain west and in the high plains.