PDA

View Full Version : Northern Colorado AD looking elsewhere

Bison_Kent
05-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Here is a story in the Greeley paper. Jim Fallis is a finalist for the AD positions at Valpo and Northern Arizona.

http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040504/SPORTS/105040074&session=F6jsrRaNPjHoBqhAIH8T3axb9a

Sac_State
05-05-2004, 02:51 AM
And he interviewed for the Sac State gig, before your good buddy Wanless was chosen.

JBB
05-06-2004, 12:30 AM
No matter what you think about the guy, Wanless was smart enough to put Lennon back on the turnip truck and send him home.

uncbear
05-06-2004, 02:32 AM
If Fallis gets the job hopefully UNC finds someone who will support football as much as he did.

Bison_Kent
05-18-2004, 03:32 AM
Fallis takes the Northern Arizona job.

Here is the UNC link:

http://uncbears.collegesports.com/genrel/051704aaa.html

SDSUFAN
05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
If Fallis gets the job hopefully UNC finds someone who will support football as much as he did.

I think Jim Fallis seemed to have his act together in all programs. I am sure he did support football too, but with no other D1AA programs in Colorado UNC has been in a good position to get the some of the best in Colorado, especially those overlooked by UC and CSU.

That being said, it seems kind of strange to leave UNC just right in the middle of the D1AA transition period. It raises two questions in my mind:
1. Was Fallis always looking for a better job?

2. Did he have a fall out with some of the administration at UNC?

The timing sure seem to get my attention.

uncbear
05-24-2004, 07:51 PM
My feeling is that he was always planning to use UNC as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. He was actually offered an AD position at some Florida school about four years ago and he turned it down at the last minute. There was actually an article in the Greeley Tribune that was titled something like "Fallis accepts AD job in Florida." He has been putting his feelers out for other jobs for at least half of the 11 years he has been at UNC.

He will make about 20-30 thousand more per year at NAU and NAU is in a great location. I think he just thinks that it is a move up, I don't think it has anything to do with the administration at UNC.

Nonetheless, we will get a clear picture of the direction UNC is heading by who they hire to replace Fallis. If UNC is really into this move to D-I we will know by the quality of AD they hire.

Also UNC football coach Kay Dalton is 72 years old and this could be his last year, it is critical that we get a good AD who will be able to find a good coach. UNC is in a very precarious position and the next 2 years are the most critical yet.

UNC is the type of school that if the football team consistently started losing, it would lose all support and rather than try to fix the program, most professors would rather just cut football entirely. UNC's new president has not come out as a big supporter of football and she hasn't showed herself to be a detractor either--just kind of neutral.

That is why I think the whole future of UNC football lies with this next AD. If he hires a mediocre coach who makes UNC a mediocre program, UNC probably won't be able to pull out of the mediocrity and that will be the end.

At this point, Joe Glenn (and his staff) are entirely responsible for UNC's success. Their success since his departure is still all because of him. It is now up to someone else to pick up the ball and run with it. NDSU and SDSU can afford to have off years because the support will still be there, the same cannot be said for UNC.

SDSUFAN
05-24-2004, 11:43 PM
UNC Bear:

Thanks for the insight on whats going on in Greeley. No doubt Dalton has been a real offensive game planner and one of the SDSU assistants told me privately a golf outing that he was relieved to not play UNC this year(2003) as he said you never know how to prepare for a Dalton offense game plan. Dalton's offensive schemes are very volumous and can be diverse.

No doubt Joe Glenn got the momentum going, and Mike Breske was number 2 when candidate when Stiglemeier was hired in 1996. Mike would have had a different demeanor than stig, but we would have had a good defense.

Your comments about who is hired for AD and Football coach are very interesting. I did not know that Senator Brown had resigned or retired as the President. If you got the Monforts and the Coors in favor of D1, you got two Ralph Englestads in your corner.

I think UNC will continue going D1. At this point, I dont think they can turn around and head back to D2 either.

Like SDSU certain facilities need upgrades. Nottingham is a great place except they need permanent seating on both sides. Also I would suspect, Hancock is going to need either a replacement or a gigantic face lift.

Having more things in the Denver area going on makes it hard to keep students and fans on board, so I can understand a down year can hurt badly for UNC.