PDA

View Full Version : I-AA West Column: New Athletic Directors

ralph
06-06-2004, 09:03 PM
I-AA West: New Athletic Directors (http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=58018)
Kent Schmidt, I-AA.org Western Columnist

"Papa Bear" Don Read returns to Missoula and Northern Colorado has named Bob Heiny as interim Athletic Director. As head coach, Read led the Grizzly program to national prominence in the 1990's. Heiny has been a representative on the Bear's NCAA faculty committee since 1983. While only Heiny carries the "interim" label, both are expected to be short-term solutions. ...

SDSUFAN
06-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Apparently, a popular figure such as Coach Read is needed for damage control after last year's finanical disaster. *If he has good finanical people working under him, Coach Read with his respect and understanding of the financial problems can put things back together. *Not having any administrative experience seems to be a handicap, but maybe not.

The deficit at Montana was a complete surprise to me when you look at attendence for football. *Apparently other programs where in a financial mess and a good AD would not allow that to happen.

Hogan was trying to fool a lot people, I think, as he did have administrative experience and knew exactly what was going on. I recall correctly, it was reported that bookeeping errors occured. *On the surface it is an explanation, but if you work with numbers, you can not help but be skeptical.

Good luck to Coach Read, he is going to need all the help he can get to stop the financial skid and get Montana out of this mess.

UNC now that an interesting one to follow too. *You hope they can get an AD who can pick up where Fallis left off.
Fallis leaving may not have been his choice totally, but it sure makes you wonder. *We have heard very little about how UNC is meeting the financial challenge of moving up to D1AA.

Sac_State
06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Don Read, a Sac State alum. Go Hornets!