PDA

View Full Version : WAC Expansion Explained

Bison_Kent
05-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Go to the following link and on the May 6 archive at the 17:00 minute mark or so.

This is an interview with the WAC commish on UTEP leaving the WAC and who might fill in the spot. It is a pretty good interview conducted by a Boise, ID sports talk station.

It sounds like the three canidates are North Texas, Idaho, and Louisiana-Lafeyette with North Texas at the top of the list.

Here is the link:

http://www.ktik.com/audioarchive.php

Bisonguy
05-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Louisiana-Lafayette? In the WAC? ???

I'm pulling for Idaho for obvious reasons ;D.

Bisonfan1234
05-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Even if Idaho goes to the WAC, the Great West is still a better football conference than the Big Sky.

And the Mid-Con (which is the lowest of our options) is a better bball conference.

So the Big Sky is all but gone in our search for a conferece.

IowaBison
05-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Bison1234, don't ever change.

somebison
06-04-2004, 02:40 PM
WAC Expansion Article Mentions

Idaho and UC-Davis (http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/06/02/72148.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=Sports&sp3=Sports&sp5=RGJ.co m&sp6=news&sp7=sports)

WYOBISONMAN
06-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Looking through this tread I just realized 1234 hasn't posted for a while. I guess it is summer and Middle School is out and he lost access to the computer during study hall.... ;)

89rabbit
06-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Looks like the Big Sky's dream of getting Idaho back is all but over.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Jun/04/br/br08p.html

Idaho joins Western Athletic Conference

Advertiser Staff

The Western Athletic Conference Board of Directors voted today to add the University of Idaho as the conference’s ninth team for the 2005-’06 season, according to people involved in the process.
The Vandals. *. *. will join two other newcomers, New Mexico State and Utah State, in joining the WAC on July 1, 2005.

The three replace Rice, Southern Methodist, Texas-El Paso and Tulsa, who will join Conference USA on that date.

The board's action came at the conclusion of the three-day annual meeting at Half Moon Bay, Calif.

An official announcement is expected soon. *

I wonder if Doug Fullerton (Big Sky Commissioner) is re-thinking his stance on NDSU and SDSU * ???

Go State! *

somebison
06-05-2004, 02:57 AM
]
Idaho joins Western Athletic Conference

I wonder if Doug Fullerton (Big Sky Commissioner) is re-thinking his stance on NDSU and SDSU * ???

looks like Idaho's "leap of faith" paid off in the end. Somebody should keep Fullerton away from bridges and rope. This is good news for the SU's, causing the BSC to reconsider which may also put some pressure on the Mid-Con to look us again. At this point I am 50/50 whether I want Mid-Con or BSC. I REALLY like the GWFC and would like that to stick around and also really like Baseball therefore I would have no problems with the Mid-Con over the BSC. Although any conf that will take us would be acceptable. :)

Trimmy
06-05-2004, 03:20 AM
That article referenced above makes it sound like Davis going to IA is done deal. Is it? I know they have designs on it, but to say they are already a good fit for the WAC seems a bit pre-mature to me. But then again, what do I know.

What conference is Wyoming in?

89rabbit
06-05-2004, 03:28 AM
Wyoming is in the Mountain West.

http://themwc.collegesports.com/

The UC-Davis thing is down the road for sure.

89rabbit
06-05-2004, 03:28 AM
looks like Idaho's "leap of faith" paid off in the end. * Somebody should keep Fullerton away from bridges and rope. *This is good news for the SU's, causing the BSC to reconsider which may also put some pressure on the Mid-Con to look us again. *At this point I am 50/50 whether I want Mid-Con or BSC. *I REALLY like the GWFC and would like that to stick around and also really like Baseball therefore I would have no problems with the Mid-Con over the BSC. *Although any conf that will take us would be acceptable. :)

I am with you on this one.

JBB
06-05-2004, 04:38 AM
Hey Somebison I think your right on the mark there. If UCDavis goes DI we would have a real good DI game in the bag. I hope they stick around for a while though. Maybe the GWFC would have to go DI A with them?

BisonInTexas
06-06-2004, 07:26 AM
There were two things that stood out in the article to me.

1. Despite what a conference commissioner says or wants, they really have little say in the matter of who gets in and who doesn't - the university presidents determine that. That was made clear when they voted in Idaho, when the WAC commish clearly preferred other institutions. Whether Fullerton is rethinking the SU's for the BSC doesn't really matter - the presidents will tell him who they want and when they want them and he will roll out the welcome mat with a big smile on his face.

2. It really does matter how the university presidents perceive an institution fits in with the rest of the conference in an academic sense. I saw three keys by the Nevada president about Idaho as reasons for entry: land-grant, research and mission of the university. I am sure the other presidents of the WAC felt similarly.

The presidents of the BSC can't ignore those qualities either, and thats why I think both SDSU and NDSU will ultimately land there. The BSC is a better fit than the Mid-Con, although at this point, I would hope that NDSU takes the Mid-Con if they laid an offer on the table today in lieu of a similar offer from the BSC.

Craig

WYOBISONMAN
06-06-2004, 09:18 PM
NDSU is ready for the BSC!!!

Bisonguy
06-06-2004, 11:00 PM
NDSU is ready for the BSC!!!

Isn't Fargo located in the Midwest? ;)

TheBisonator
06-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Even if Idaho goes to the WAC, the Great West is still a better football conference than the Big Sky.

And the Mid-Con (which is the lowest of our options) is a better bball conference.

So the Big Sky is all but gone in our search for a conferece.

I'm still laughing at this quote. Every time I read it, I get a good chuckle.

BisonMav
06-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Isn't Fargo located in the Midwest? *;)

Isn't Williston located in the West *;)

Actually most of the maps on the internet have North and South Dakota in the Midwest and not the West.

Midwest States (http://www.travelersdigest.com/midwest_united_states_2.htm)

WYOBISONMAN
06-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Sure.....go on over and tell the oil workers and the cowboys in Williston they are Midwesterners.... ;D *I bet you get a warm reception.... ;)

Damn....I hate this SLOW season for football.....where is 1234 when you need him...... 8)

Bisonguy
06-07-2004, 03:26 AM
I was just trying to represent those opinions that haven't been present recently. ;D

I'll stick with what the weather guys say, "Upper Great Plains". ;D Growing up in a true Midwest state (Ohio), North Dakota has little in common with that area.

WYOBISONMAN
06-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Even the WYOBISONMAN will agree with Upper Great Plains... ;D

somebison
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Fargo = Midwest
Williston/Dickinson = West
Bismarck = ???

Bisonguy
06-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Bismark is the western midwest or eastern west, depending on what part of Bismarck you're in. ;D

Mandan is definitely west.

Bison7925
06-07-2004, 10:08 PM
According to the ads, "Mandan is where the West begins"

IowaBison
06-08-2004, 01:46 PM
ads also say that UND has a good engineering school

WYOBISONMAN
06-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Mandan is the WEST because the bars of there feature women without clothes..... ;D Bismarck is more tame...

tony
06-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Mandan is about as Midwestern as Missoula (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Bison7925
06-08-2004, 06:19 PM
ads also say that UND has a good engineering school
They also say they are one of the largest too.

JBB
06-08-2004, 10:47 PM
come on you guys this talk about und is getting old. what is und anyway? Never heard of them! ::)