PDA

View Full Version : Montana recommends a bison hunt

Sac_State
06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Mont. Recommends Limited Bison Hunting

1 hour, 59 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By BECKY BOHRER, Associated Press Writer

BILLINGS, Mont. - State wildlife officials are recommending allowing a limited hunt of bison that leave Yellowstone National Park in search of winter forage.

Ranchers and livestock industry officials worry that wandering bison could transmit disease to cattle.

Allowing hunters to shoot up to 25 bison each winter was the preferred alternative in an environmental assessment released Monday by Montana's Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

The hunting season would run from Nov. 15 to Feb. 15 in areas where bison from Yellowstone are now captured or killed by government officials or coaxed back into the park to keep them from roaming, said Kurt Alt, a regional wildlife manager with the agency.

The state assessment gave four alternatives, ranging from no change from current practices to a more liberal hunt in which up to 225 bison could be killed. A final decision could come this summer, Alt said, with a hunt possible at the end of this year.

Alt said any hunt would be in addition to an existing state-federal management plan.

Under that joint bison management plan, bison that cannot be coaxed back into the park are captured and tested for brucellosis, which causes cows to abort their pregnancies and can cause an untreatable flu-like illness in humans.

Animals testing positive are sent to slaughter. If the park's population exceeds 3,000 animals by late winter and early spring each year, bison that stray into Montana can be killed without being tested first. There are now more than 4,200 bison in the park, which park officials say is the highest in nearly a decade.

Bison from the park have been hunted before in Montana; during the winter of 1988-89, hunters killed 569 bison on the park's northern boundary. But the hunt was ended by the Legislature after a storm of protests about shooting Yellowstone wildlife.

The hunt was criticized as less than sporting. Game wardens led each hunter directly to the animal to be killed. The hunters shot at close range at animals that often were standing still, grazing.

Last year, the state Legislature passed a measure giving wildlife officials the authority to establish a bison hunt. The environmental assessment is one piece in determining whether a hunt is feasible and desirable.

IowaBison
06-08-2004, 08:55 PM
the term 'bison hunt' is a bit of misnomer

JBB
06-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I agree, Bison shoot maybe?

Does anybody else think the next Montana game should be in Fargo?

TheBisonator
06-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Yes, it should be at the Dome. Our stadiums have similar capacities (23,100 to 19,300), and we'd sell out that game like Montana sold out the game last year.

Bisonguy
06-08-2004, 11:13 PM
With the Bison beating the Griz the last three times they have met, it only make sense to have the next game in Fargo. *;D

It also helps explain why they are so furious at the Bison. ;D ;D ;D

IowaBison
06-09-2004, 01:47 PM
That sounds good to me, I'd have difficulty believing it wouldn't be a sellout and I'd give us even money to win

WYOBISONMAN
06-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Why is your name now frmriowabison? Just curious.... :o

somebison
06-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Why is your name now frmriowabison? *Just curious.... :o

the answer lies here (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=BandSmack;action=display;num=1082824 906)

WYOBISONMAN
06-09-2004, 06:07 PM
...that's a good deal. Helps with the game attendance... ;)

NDSU_grad
06-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah, Dave left myself and somebison as the Bison representatives at ISU.

IowaBison
06-09-2004, 07:07 PM
sorry about that one NDSU_Grad, it is a beautiful day in Fargo