PDA

View Full Version : UCD- article

somebison
06-09-2004, 11:22 PM
As UC Davis completes its first season in its four-year transition to Division I, the Aggies are saying "goodbye" to the California Collegiate Athletic Association and "hello" to the Big West and Great West Football Conference.

Despite this season's being UCD's first provisional year, there were minor changes in the 2003-2004 Aggies' opponents. Although some teams branched out and included more D-I schools on their schedule, for the most part the Aggies competed in their same respective conference against D-II opponents.

article (http://www.californiaaggie.com/article/?id=4911)

I find it interesting that the essentially played a DII conference schedule this year. Apparently the California Collegiate Athletic Association isn't rampant with spite.

Sac_State
06-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I think davis will do good at the I-AA level, but their history has demonstarted that some of their 'success' has been gleened at the expense of the San Bernadino's and Humboldt State's of the world.

Based on facilities, resources and student population, davis has been an 800lb Gorilla in d2.

I will be eager to see how the mighty aggies do against real teams that are on their level of resources.

JBB
06-10-2004, 03:06 PM
The funny thing about the Aggies was the inability to rise to the ultimate challenge in DII despite being the 800 lb gorilla. *The Great West Football Conference is going to be every bit as competitive in DI-AA as the NCC was in DII. *I think the Aggies are going to hold up well in the GWFC. *Im also sure they will remain competitive against all competition. *For every Humbolt State there is a Grand Valley or North Dakota State game to even things out.

lucchesicourt
06-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Sac State, you forgot to mention yourselves as one of the Humboldts and San Bernardinos's (I don't think we've ever played San Bernardino in football) in your comment.
As far as the Ags go, you need to remember all the achievements at the D2 level were done without athletic scholarships. Now as D1AA and 60 plus scholarships coming I think we will have no trouble at the D1AA level. This year will really be the first for the Ags with scholarships as the scholarship players mostly red-shirted last year. They will be on the field this year.
There are a couple of players to really watch, especially Marcus McClimans and our new QB ( either Schwartz from Cal or Engle) one of which should win the QB position..

Sac_State
06-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Sac State, you forgot to mention yourselves as one of the Humboldts and San Bernardinos's (I don't think we've ever played San Bernardino in football) in your comment.
As far as the Ags go, you need to remember all the achievements at the D2 level were done without athletic scholarships. *Now as D1AA and 60 plus scholarships coming I think we will have no trouble at the D1AA level. *This year will really be the first for the Ags with scholarships as the scholarship players mostly red-shirted last year. *They will be on the field this year.
There are a couple of players to really watch, especially Marcus McClimans and our new QB ( either Schwartz from Cal or Engle) one of which should win the QB position..

I don't think football was mentioned specifically. And your schollie thing is BS, you call them grants-in-aid. And I would hope that one of your QB's will win a position, if they don't, who will be your QB?

GoAgs
06-11-2004, 10:39 PM
You missed the word "new". IF one of the "new" qb's doesn't get the job THEN one of the returning qb's will get the job.