PDA

View Full Version : Gotta give Sac-State some props

89rabbit
07-13-2004, 07:46 PM
I have to give Sac-State some props, I watched some of the US Olympic trails and his Stadium looked good. :)

IowaBison
07-13-2004, 09:37 PM
sure did, but while the announcers continually referred to being in Sacramento, they were a little lax on plugging the school itself

Sac_State
07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Hornet Stadium, or the Fred, or the Alex G. Spanos Sports Complex isn't that bad for a I-AA school. Some info from yesterday's Sackless Bee....

Ailene Voisin: Trials could return to a new setup
Sac State's planned arena would be an athletic boon - if it gets done on time.
By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If the Trials somehow were to return for a third consecutive time - and John McCasey is remaining mum about any future bid - athletes, officials and visitors alike could find the landscape significantly altered. With Sac State students having approved a referendum to generate $25 million toward construction of an 8,000-seat arena/health center to be located north of the stadium, athletic director Terry Wanless already is trolling for an additional $50 million ... and counting the years.
The Hornets administrator, who says the warm-up track would be spared, has begun "visualizing" a facility that, in the best-case scenario, would be completed by 2007. Of course, the worst-case scenario would be construction gridlock in 2008.

"If the fund-raising comes along like we hope," he said, "then it's possible that it could be completed in three years.

"It takes about a year to design a building and two to build it. So we're pretty excited about the things that are happening here. The greatest thing about something like this (Trials) is that the television viewer realizes that Sac State is perhaps different than the image they might have had of a sleepy little college on the east end of town. We're a major university with 29,000 students, and we're working very hard to show what a great institution we are."

....of course the crappy Bee reporting got the $$ figures screwed up. Students voted to tax themselves $50M for the RWEC, while Gonzo/Wanless must raise the $25M balance, these numbers where flipped in the paper.

If the Sac Sports Commission, which is the city/county agency assigned to promote sporting events in Sac, wants to have the Trials return in '08, they better get crackin on turning dirt for the new facility.

With the NCAA's coming for the next three years, fundraising just got a shot in the arm.

The biggest eyesore for the Fred is the lack of a modern fieldhouse, which will be rectified in the RWEC.

Sac_State
07-14-2004, 01:21 PM
I have to give Sac-State some props, I watched some of the US Olympic trails and his Stadium looked good. *:)

Did you see the beer garden? Best part of the facility.

89rabbit
07-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Is it down at the end?

Sac_State
07-14-2004, 06:30 PM
It is located in the grove of trees on the South side behind the luxury boxes. A few years ago they had Rubicon Brewing Co. providing the suds, even at Sac State football games.

89rabbit
07-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Then I guess I didn't see it. Can't beat a stadium with a Beer Garden. I have to talk to our AD about getting Sac-State on the schedule, I need to see this for myself! ;) ;D