PDA

View Full Version : Non-smack U of Mary to DII Topic

Bison_Kent
07-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Here is the story from the Bismarck Tribune on the possible move by Mary to DII.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2004/07/14/sports/local/spt02.txt

WYOBISONMAN
07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
I think that there is no question that Mary is not in the same league as NDSU, but they are a class act within thier peer group.

IowaBison
07-14-2004, 07:10 PM
but they are a perfect D2 school based on national standards

89rabbit
07-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Clearly as the NCC back fills the league to fill the spots previously held by UNC, NDSU and SDSU, it is going to create opportunities for some of the area NAIA schools to make a move up. *The forward thinking schools will have the advantage when the time is right.

Sounds like Mary and DSU may be a little ahead of some of the others. *DSU would need to do a lot of work but they too might be a fit for the NCC or NSIC. *Their location isn't bad and they are already working with SDSU and USD at the satellite campus in Sioux Falls (good old USDSU). *With some additional funding (or further restrictions on D-II scholarships) they could be ok. *This might signal the doom of Upper Iowa's chances at either league.

Here is the DSU story:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12070187&BRD=1302&PAG= 461&dept_id=181986&rfi=8 *
Wockenfuss, Holtz take charge at DSU * *
By: DAN HOLSWORTH , Sports Editor *06/23/2004 * *
Gene Wockenfuss *
Dr. Doug Knowlton, DSU president, welcomed Wockenfuss as interim athletic director and Holtz as interim head football coach Tuesday. *. *. *. *
Fielding questions from the media, Wockenfuss admitted that the possibility of DSU entering NCAA Division II competition is a future consideration for the newly-instituted planning committee. Former DSU athletic director and current associate professor of physical education Judy Dittman will chair that committee. *. *. *. *

89rabbit
07-14-2004, 07:22 PM
but they are a perfect D2 school based on national standards

Exactly, and that is the reason that SDSU, NDSU, and UNC have moved to were we belong.

WYOBISONMAN
07-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Based on what is currently moving to D2.....a great fit for Mary. I agree totally.

Tatanka
07-15-2004, 12:59 AM
Based on what is currently moving to D2.....a great fit for Mary. *I agree totally.
++