PDA

View Full Version : Sac State to play Cal

Sac_State
07-06-2004, 04:13 PM
An unconfirmed rumor has Sac State playing Cal next year in football. Apparently, contracts have been signed, but no official report yet.

Cal is ranked 14th in a preseason poll. Yikes. That makes Sac State playing Nevada and Cal next year.

On another topic, the Olympic Trials will be held this year in Sacramento at Hornet Stadium. An additional $1.8M has been donated to augment the stadium.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/9902884p-10825080c.html#more_images

"Hornet Stadium augmentation is a $1.8 million item in the Trials' budget. Construction began June 14 and has been wrapped up. Major projects were the installation of new grandstands seating 3,000 at the north end of the track and 16 air-conditioned luxury suites, seating 40 each, at the south end. But several new features have been added, such as wireless fidelity for laptop Internet access.

Associated Sound and Video, which also wired the stadium in 2000, is installing 250 cameras and providing digital feeds to TV sets in the luxury suites.

"It's like a presidential event - except this time, we have our stuff in for two weeks instead of two days," production manager Keith Wackford said."

and 2,100 feet from the stadium is Hoppy Brewing Co., hummm.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/9902897p-10825062c.html

"At Hoppy's on Folsom Boulevard, meanwhile, the beer will flow a little more efficiently than in 2000. The brew pub on Folsom Boulevard is barely 2,100 feet from the stadium.

"Four years ago we got slammed pretty good because we're the closest restaurant-pub to the Olympic Trials," said Troy Paski, pub founder.

The brewery, which serves its own special recipes for Hoppy Face Amber Ale, Total Eclipse Black Ale and the like, never ran out of grog then.

They won't run out this time, either, said Paski, saying he's been brewing for the last two weeks. That's enough, he said, to pour an extra 2,000 pints for Olympic tipplers."

tony
07-06-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm supremely jealous... I love track. Congratulations. Are you going to go to the meet?

Sac_State
07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Going to Hoppy's..... 8)

89rabbit
07-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Going to Hoppy's..... 8)

That sounds like a place that a rabbit could feel right at home. ;)

GoAgs
07-07-2004, 08:23 PM
First of all if Cal and CSUS were to play next year it would have to be on 8/28. Pac-10 teams can't begin their season this year until the first week of September unless they are playing in a preseason classic (USC). I doubt the conference would make an exception so Cal can play Sac State. Are you sure it isn't for 2005? Cal is looking for opponents in '05 and '06.

Secondly, does this board say olympic trials on it? Most if not all of the $1.8 million dollar "augmentation" will be leaving along with the trials. Read Wackford's quote. Track is wack.

Sac_State
07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
I said rumor, yes, '05 probably is very likely. Plus, UC wants to add an additional home game next year, if possible.

The only thing leaving after the Trials are the camera's and video players. Most of the 'augmentation' is infrastructure upgrades.

Jealousy from an Ag, what else is there to talk about during the dog days of summer? Butthead

GoAgs
07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
That is awesome if they leave the video board for you guys but I will believe it when I see it.

Sac_State
07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/9921989p-10843995c.html

Looks like Sac State gets the NCAA Championships for the next three years and possibly a permanent venue similar to Omaha and the World Series.

Football will benefit from the stadium upgrades. new locker rooms have already been added including new entrances into the stadium.

Go Hornets!

GoAgs
07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
That's great news for Sac State. The region can become a track hotbed.

http://www.sacbee.com/ips_rich_content/170-track2.jpg

Sac_State
07-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow, civility between an Ag and Hornet!

The event will only enhance the programs of Sac and Davis, just from the proximity. Getting the event permanant would be a major coup for the Sac region.

Looks like any stadium Sac will ever have will be geared towards Track, with football secondary. That's ok, if track pays for football, I'm happy.

It shows the potential for the Sac region for both Sac State and Davis. Eugene-OU, Austin-UTA, Carson-$70M privately financed facility and Columbus-OSU are some BIG programs to have beat out.

Sure hope Hornet football has a season ticket booth aggressively taking orders for next season.

The stadium really needs a shade overhang, sitting in 98* weather on metal makes for an exhausting and hot event.

more info...http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/07/05/daily21.html?jst=b_ln_hl

GoAgs
07-08-2004, 10:36 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/orst/nonsport/facilities/reser-headline.jpg

That would be nice for the home side. When you look around I-AA Hornet Stadium is actually one of the better venues. The downside is not so much that there is a track but that it is a massive competition track with a ton of lanes setting the fans back from the action. I'd like to see them put some endzone seats back on the field like the Surge had beyond the endzone but inside the track. Toomey field is one of the biggest dumps in college football but having fans on all four sides of the field at least gives you the feel of a college game and when it gets loud all of the noise is directed on to the field.

roadwarrior
07-09-2004, 12:47 AM
How did Oregon State's stadium get mixed up in this conversation?

Sac_State
07-09-2004, 01:07 PM
You were right Ag, seats are only temp for the games. Permanent seats will be built into the new RWEC/arena.

Found this on another board...

"The seats at Hornet Stadium are only for the trials. Permanent seats will be put in when the arena gets built. The side of the arena where the athletic offices will be, on the outside will have permanent seats. "

Sac_State
07-09-2004, 01:11 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/orst/nonsport/facilities/reser-headline.jpg

Toomey field...... having fans on all four sides of the field at least gives you the feel of a college game and when it gets loud all of the noise is directed on to the field.

Amen!

Sac_State
07-21-2004, 01:44 PM
A big foe for Sac State
The Hornets plan to head to Berkeley next year for a taste of Pac-10 football.
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, July 21, 2004
It's not too late to get into a Fantasy Sports League. Sign up here.

With its distinction as Northern California's best college football rivalry, the "Big Game" between Cal and Stanford is safe.
And the Causeway Classic, the annual rumble between Sacramento State and UC Davis, is alive and well in these parts.

But in what could be a less-heralded contest, Cal will open its 2005 season against Sac State, The Bee has learned.
The game would take place Sept. 3, 2005, at Cal, though Bears coach Jeff Tedford said the details have not been finalized between the two schools. Herb Benenson, a Cal media relations director, confirmed the scheduling.

"We agreed to it in principle, but I don't know that the contracts have been exchanged yet," said Tedford, who played and coached with Sac State coach Steve Mooshagian. "I think it worked out that we had an opening in our schedule, and so did they. There are a lot of Cal people in Sacramento, so I think that will do well for attendance."

It will be the first time the fellow Northern California teams have played each other, and the fourth consecutive season in which Division I-AA Sac State has opened its campaign against a Division I-A opponent.

The Bears have not faced a California team this far north for 65 years. Cal and UCD met eight times from 1932 to 1939, with the Bears winning each time by a combined score of 301-20.

The uneven matchups are commonly referred to as money games, with the I-A team paying big for what it hopes is an easy opener and the I-AA team receiving exposure and cash. Last season, Sac State fell 40-7 to Oregon State in Corvallis, Ore., then flew home with $158,000 from its first game against a Pacific-10 Conference team. In 2002, the Hornets lost to the University of Texas, El-Paso, and they will face Nevada this season on Sept. 11.

Cal is considered one of the nation's best young teams, with junior quarterback Aaron Rodgers tops among a promising bunch. ESPN picked Cal to finish 11th in the country this season, and Athlon Sports magazine predicted a No. 14 finish. Sac State was 2-9 in Mooshagian's first season and is picked to finish seventh among eight teams in the Big Sky Conference coaches and media poll.

"If everything works out, I know it would be great for our program to play a top-25-caliber team," Mooshagian said. "I think it would be great for the area. It's only an hour drive, and you'd have a lot of fans go over there."

Tedford said his friendship with Mooshagian played no part in the scheduling. He and the second-year Sac State coach were rivals during high school in the southern Los Angeles County suburb of Downey. Mooshagian was a wide receiver at Downey High, Tedford a quarterback at Warren High. They were teammates at Cerritos Junior College, then Fresno State, before coaching together at Fresno State under the highly successful Jim Sweeney in the early 1990s.

WYOBISONMAN
07-21-2004, 03:48 PM
A great game for all of DI-AA!!!