PDA

View Full Version : Conference Chances Improving

Bison_Kent
07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I was just thinking about this and think our conference hopes will be enhanced regardless what the Big Sky does. Southern Utah is a member of the Mid Con currently. If the Big Sky would take them, the conference would be down to eight and likely would look for two teams. That might open the door for NDSU and SDSU should this happen.

Of course, NDSU and SDSU could also be picked by the Big Sky outright and still be happy. Likely UNC would then go to the Mid Con and continue in the Great West for football.

One stag might be if only Northern Colorado is chosen. But I feel that the Big Sky will expand by two teams. And that means likely either S. Utah and N. Colorado together or NDSU and SDSU together.

TheBisonator
07-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Northern Colorado doesn't want the Big Sky. They have said this publicly. They need a conference that has baseball. In my mind, Northern Colorado is immediately thrown out in the race for getting into the Big Sky.

So it boils down to NDSU, SDSU and SUU. SUU is already in a conference, and their academic credentials are highly suspicious, and I don't think the facilities match up with those of either us or SDSU (except for their football stadium compared to SDSU's). Even though the Big Sky requires tennis, I don't think it would be too much of a burden to get men's and women's tennis programs going. We can suck at tennis to our heart's delight, for all I care. As long as the money sports (FB, M-BB, W-BB) and the other popular sports (Wrestling, Baseball, Volleyball, Soccer, Softball) are doing well, I'm just fine with that.

I really think that by the end of next year we're gonna be seeing NDSU and SDSU as the two newest members of the Big Sky Conference.

Bison_Kent
07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Bisonator,

I agree. Lets hope that the Big Sky presidents do as well. I don't see why NDSU and SDSU have been looked so poorly previoulsy. The Big Sky added Sacramento State (granted with Cal State-Northridge) in their last expansion and Sacramento is not close to any current Big Sky member then so geography plays a little role IMO.

The schools with the best athletic budgets, facilities, and travel ease should be the criteria. Travel will never be easy in the Big Sky, however. There aren't enough teams close to each other to compose a conference that would make it a "bus league".

WYOBISONMAN
07-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I think that Doug Fullerton has been the biggest problem with the Sky recently. Clearly Wanless did his best to sabotage things as well. *However, it is looking more and more like the sky needs to hedge its bets since there is so much talk about Prtland and Sac bolting. *With UNC not to hot on the Sky and SUU not real appealing as well, that leaves the Dakotas as by far the best fit. *Even someone as dumb as Fullerton has to see that. *They also have to realize that once NDSU and SDSU have a conference home for all sports, it may be much tougher to attract them to the Sky.

All in all.....I think we will go to the Sky (or at least know we are going to the Sky) within a year.

tony
07-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Fullerton has always seemed like a decent guy to me. If I were him, I'd have wanted one of those DI-A teams to come back to the Big Sky too.

Way back in 1999 or 2000, he took the time to come to Fargo and talk to NDSU, SDSU, and some of the other NCC teams about moving to DI. I think he's probably just trying to represent the best interests and the will of the rest of the Big Sky - and sometimes that leads to decisions we don't like.

89rabbit
07-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Going back to Kent's first post. *If for some reason the Big Sky took SUU. *It would almost lock us for the Mid-Con. *From everything I hear the Mid-Con wants to add three to the current line up so that they can get to 12 and do a Div. format, East and West. *If SUU went to the big Sky you would see the Mid-Con pick up NDSU, SDSU, UNC and Denver, IMO.

One way or the other I think SDSU and NDSU get an invite to either or both this school year. *I personally think we are the top contenders in both leagues. *With us offically joining the conference in '06-'07 giving us time to work into the schedule rotation. *Just my opinion no insider info or anything. *It is just going to take a little more patience on our parts.

Go State! *;D

tony
07-22-2004, 04:09 PM
All I know is that when NDSU and SDSU lock up a conference, the champagne will be flowing in Bisonville, but I'll have to read it in the Fargo Forum to believe to first.

Bisonfan1234
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Bottom line: whichever conference puts the most butts in the Fargo Dome seats is the conference I want. Football pays the bills around here. Football is what we're good at and a succesful year in football is a successful year in the athletic department.

Is that conference the Big Sky or is it the Great West?

SDSU, UNC, and UC-D are the only 3 for sure draws in the conference.
The rest of the teams are unknown to NDSU fans.

SDSU, MTSU and UMT would be the only 3 for sure draws in the Sky. The rest of the teams there are unknown to fans.

I also don't think you can entirely leave out UND...not yet. If they moved up in 5 years they would obviously be a top draw for us. Would there be room for them too in the Sky or the Great West?

I do think the Sky will take SUU to be a travel partner with NAU immediately. It makes sense economically. As for academics...who cares?

If PSU and CSU-S leave the Sky (possibly for the Great West?), I do think they'll want NDSU and SDSU.

That leaves us with an extremely important decision: do we stick with Great West and, most likely, join UNC in the Mid Con? Or do we join Montana in the Sky?

WYOBISONMAN
07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
1234....this is college football, so crazy as it sounds, academics are a consideration by most. ::)

Bisonfan1234
07-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Blah blah blah.

SUU makes sense for them right now. I think they believe NDSU/SDSU are too much a risk right now.

JBB
07-22-2004, 10:10 PM
If they were only going to expand by 1 that makes sense. But if they plan to expand by 2 SUU will be out. Northern Az has been able to get by without a travel partner so far.

Bisonfan1234
07-22-2004, 10:28 PM
With 8 teams, I would count out an odd number entering unless someone is leaving.

I could see CSU-S going the way of CSU-N. ESP with a new economically inclined president.