PDA

View Full Version : Valparaiso Crusaders

JBB
07-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Valparaiso Crusaders.

Our first game is against Valparaiso, Defending Champions of the Patriot League. *

The Crusaders *avgd 33 pts per game. *David Macchi, their QB last season averaged 330 yds/game and threw 38 TDs. *He would have easily been the top QB in the NCC with an efficiency rating of 160. *He would have led Brian Nelson from SDSU, lhe NCC leader, in every category.

The good news here is Macchi doesnt appear on the 2004 roster. *The QBs that do are completely untested. *If they cant get their QB producing early it could be tough.

His top receiver was Rob Giancola. *He caught 54 passes. *Only Kevin Knutson caught more with 74. *Otherwise Giancola dominated the stats with 133 yds/game and about half of his catches for TDs! *Both of these receivers will be back as seniors in 2004. *

There were a lot of receivers in the NCC that had more receptions than either of them, but nobody even came close to Giancolas stats. *These guys are very dangerous.

By the looks of things the BISON could hold them to almost nothing on the ground, but they could get their game through the air. *That would mean 3-5 TDs passing. *

If they can get their QB on track, chances are NDSU will have to score 7 times to win this game.

Bisonfan1234
07-06-2004, 11:59 PM
With that in mind, I'll predict a 14-0 victory for NDSU.

JBB
07-07-2004, 12:15 AM
How about 6-0 with Valpo driving late?

NDSU_grad
07-07-2004, 03:35 AM
Pioneer League, not Patriot League. Pretty big difference. There will be a lot of points put up, with most of them being by NDSU. I think we'll have around 40 by halftime.

roadwarrior
07-07-2004, 04:52 AM
The crusaders will be so busy checking out the packed Fargodome, they will quickly find themselves in a hole.

JBB
07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry about misquoting the league name. :D

Bison7925
07-07-2004, 02:22 PM
The crusaders will be so busy checking out the packed Fargodome, they will quickly find themselves in a hole.

And checking out the DI atmosphere ;D

KTF
07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Is this game going to be like the Tusculum game, all these great recievers and a good QB that the Bison D shut down? I feel with the WR pool and Stauss, the Bison could potentially get into a shooting match with the Crusaders and still win the game. However I see a game plan of run-pass conflict by the Bison!

Ricky1
07-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Don't expect much out of Valpo. I think NDSU will roll by about 40 or so. Will run all over them, they are not good. A buddy coaches out around there and said they are pretty bad. Not enough guys cause of that whole non-scholarship thing. It will be a good tuneup but other than that don't expect a shootout or some great game--it will be an ass-kicking, similar to Concordia St Paul. They lost to Wisconsin Eau-Claire (see D3 football) at home a couple years ago 31-9! ::) Not that that is the great indicator but it kind of tells a bit of the story.

Bisonfan1234
07-08-2004, 03:44 AM
What offensive formation do they run?

Tatanka
07-08-2004, 03:54 AM
It might as well be the "Flying V" or better yet, a full-time punt/fake punt formation (that'll keep the Bison D guessing). Same result: THREE AND OUT!

Ricky1
07-08-2004, 03:57 AM
What Formation? I don't know, I hope they have more than one or it is gonna be pretty easy to defend them! ???

There offensive scheme or philosophy is built around Pro I think. Pretty balanced, little more pass I think but who know with there starting QB gone now?

Bisonfan1234
07-08-2004, 04:00 AM
We don't run many formations and still have good success.

We pretty much run out of weak/strong-I and pass out of singleback.

I assume when you say pro you're talking about splitback.

Ricky1
07-08-2004, 04:10 AM
I don't know what they feature? By Pro, I mean I, Split, Jack, Queen and then all the tens of 20's of formations that come off or after those. I also don't know to what extent they use a fullback cause obviously that dictates if any of the above would be used.

They are gonna get ran all over anyway.

Bison7925
07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
It's threads like this that got Montana in so much trouble last year when they got upset by a former DII team ;)

Montana was pretty full of themselves and lost.

Be careful ::)

KTF
07-08-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't know if the team should be worried about getting a big head, after all it is the first game of the year and the team will be hungry for its first W.

JBB
07-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Their attack is very balanced with a 50 50 split between rushing/passing, but 2/3 of their production - both yardage and TDs - comes from the passing game.

They are starting fresh with a new QB, I dont know who it might be but nobody else on the roster had any kind of experience outside their starter.

They might be as good as St. Cloud State. I think they are better than Mankato. The comparison to Concordia St. Paul is probably a good one.

They were in most games last season and several of them were obviously shoot outs. The Big score was an OT win against Drake 51-45. They scored in the 50s twice winning both. They played Jacksonville tough losing by only 7. They can score pts.

This team shouldnt be taken lightly.

LurkingDog
07-09-2004, 07:02 PM
When they had Macchi, they went for the big pass plays. They'll be a different team this season. Look for some option/ ball control stuff.

I expect the Valpo game to be a shootout, but you may be the only ones with bullets. ;)

JBB
07-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Valpo seems typical of teams we used to play. *They are no Montana, but the BISON team I watched drop a critical game to SCSU last year was nowhere near the team that went to Montana. *

On an typical day I think last years Valpo team could play with NDSU. *This year they have the big question mark at QB. *Macchi was better than Heckendorf and may have been a Harlon Hill finalist. *Somebody is going to have to step up to fill those shoes. *That means they have a great new guy or one of the backups is truly an undiscovered gem. *This is a huge negative for them.

Their top running back, Nick Reid, returns. *He only had 700 yds last season. *After that they were pretty thin. *They dont have an option QB so its hard to say how they would set that up. *

Im thinking SCSU, Ferris State, *Mankato, Concordia St. Paul, *USD, teams like that. *Teams that werent known for size and strength but from time to time have had speed and execution at key positions keeping them in a lot of games they should have been out of.

They allowed 142 yds rushing and 252 yds passing/game last season. *This could be a real big game for Stauss and his receivers. *Bang at em with the fullbacks and start setting up the pass.

LurkingDog
07-10-2004, 08:02 PM
I should have posted this to begin with.

http://www.geocities.com/lurkingd/valpoprv.html

Ricky1
07-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Alright--you guys can stroke yourselves all you want about Valpo but the fact is they suck. Drake is a terrible football team--they lost to Wisconsin Platteville. It was a good game to get on the schedule to get the season rolling into D1-AA but don't try to legitimize them as a legit opponent. They have 0 scholarships.

Somebody made mention of how Montana may have overlooked NDSU like NDSU may do to Valpo. How many scholarships did NDSU have on the field at Montana? The answer is 36 (barring NDSU didn't have any North Alabama stuff going on ;D). Valpo will have 0. I don't know of anywhere where the best players go play for free and turn down scholarships to other schools.

Decent game to start with but not legit by any means compared to the other teams like Davis and UNC. I agree they are like Mankato or a Morningside (who I believe used to play Drake).

Bisonfan1234
07-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Just because they offer 0 scholorships doesn't mean they don't get their athletes money. How about their basketball team? Same deal but much success.

Ricky1
07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Just because they offer 0 scholorships doesn't mean they don't get their athletes money. How about their basketball team? Same deal but much success.

I will take care of this one everybody. Dumbass has opened his mouth again.

The basketball team is in the Mid-Continent Conference and has full rides like the other teams in the conference, such as Oral Roberts, IUPUI, etc. The football team, are you still following, is in the Pioneer or whatever conference, which is no scholarships.

Please don't come on here anymore and waste time like that. That was horrible.

Bisonfan1234
07-11-2004, 09:10 PM
My argument still holds.

Think about D3. They have good athletes.

Just because there are no offical NCAA scholorships doesn't mean they don't get their atheltes money.

Bisonguy
07-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Colgate offers zero football scholarships and made the I-AA championship last year. ::) :-/

Ricky1
07-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Good point. I guess we will see how good they are than. Find out in August. ;)

JBB
07-11-2004, 09:54 PM
They are better than Morningside. Im sure of that.

ralph
07-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Colgate offers zero football scholarships and made the I-AA championship last year. *::) :-/
But Colgate offered as many "equivalencies" as Delaware did schollies last year. The PL just requires that it's football squads call them something different.

Bisonguy
07-11-2004, 11:55 PM
But Colgate offered as many "equivalencies" as Delaware did schollies last year. *The PL just requires that it's football squads call them something different.

Ralph,

Aren't they need-based grants? Something along the lines of DIII?

My point was the "non-scholarship" tag doesn't mean much (neither derogatory nor complimentary).

somebison
07-12-2004, 12:57 AM
Ralph,

Aren't they need-based grants? Something along the lines of DIII?

My point was the "non-scholarship" tag doesn't mean much (neither derogatory nor complimentary).

Athletic Aid
Student-athletes on "Atlantic 10 Conference" teams may be awarded scholarships based on athletic ability. Football grants are awarded under Patriot League regulations and are based on both financial need and athletic ability. These athletic grants require an annual re-application and are renewed based on family need as calculated each year using the required financial aid forms. Since need varies depending on the family situation, the amount of the grant may fluctuate from year to year. In addition to the award letter, in June student athletes will receive an athletic contract which must be signed and returned before the aid becomes official and your student account is credited.

http://www.fordham.edu/cgi-bin/printfriendly.cgi?alumni/Admissions/Fordham_Financial_Ai2158.html

somebison
07-12-2004, 12:58 AM
A little different than DIII who doesn't admit aid is preferentially given to athletes

LurkingDog
07-12-2004, 02:59 AM
My point was the "non-scholarship" tag doesn't mean much .

It means whatever you choose. "Athletic scholarship" are not words you'll find together in the Division I manual; the NCAA eliminated scholarships 30 years ago, but it's a term that never died.

One-year renewable grants replaced the scholarships. In I-AA football, these grants are measured in equivalencies when they are based in ANY way on athletic ability (and they certainly are in the Patriot League).

The Pioneer, on the other hand, doesn't allow any eqivalencies. That doesn't mean they don't have some good players who may want a better education than they would be able to get at Youngstown State, et al. Some graduate h.s. with 3.8+ GPAs and earn academic scholarships.

Most have declined athletic aid from other schools. I know...it's a tough concept to wrap your brain around.

Bisonguy
07-12-2004, 03:40 AM
LurkingDog,

I thought Colgate fell under criteria a (where financial aid is based on need):

If the NCAA wanted to get rid of the term "scholarship" they should quit using it in their own press releases.

15.5.1.2.1.1 Exception — Division I-AA Football. Division I-AA football programs that
meet the following criteria are exempt from the Division I-AA football counter and initial-
counter requirements of Bylaws 15.5.1 and 15.5.5.2, even if there are student-athletes
who participate in football and one or more other sports who receive athletics aid
in a sport(s) other than football: (Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94, Revised: 1/10/95)
( a ) In football, the institution awards financial aid only to student-athletes who
demonstrate financial need, except that loans, academic honor awards, nonathletics
achievement awards, or certain aid from outside sources may be provided without
regard to financial need; (Revised: 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03)

LurkingDog
07-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Bisonguy,

Your cut & paste is incomplete. An exemption from counter/equivalency rules requires not only meeting criterion A, but also B and C.

Basically, an athlete is a counter when receiving financial aid unavailable to non-athletes. This is the case with much of the "need-based" aid in the Patriot League. Normal need-based aid is loans, Pell grants, etc. and has nothing to do with athletics. IMO, the Patriot League is trying to sound like the Ivy League. Kinda silly.

And I agree on your press release comment.

IowaBison
07-12-2004, 01:45 PM
welcome to bisonville, luckyDog

when is Drake coming to Fargo?

while i believe in general a team with more scholarships should be more competitive than one without, that is far from a hard and fast rule

LurkingDog
07-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Are you mistaking me for a New Orleans hot dog? ;D

I was wondering about a game with North Dakota St., since both NDSU and Drake were advertising open dates the same weekend in mid-October 2005. ???

Bisonfan1234
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Whatever.

Just because you're D3 or in a non-scholarship conference doesn't mean in the slightest that the schools don't find ways to get their athletes money.

Perhaps it's something as simply as special consideration for some type of whatever scholarship or grant.

Ricky1
08-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Boy was I wrong! ::) I apologize to everyone. :P

They were solid.

JBB
08-30-2004, 01:49 AM
Good One! :D

BisonMav
08-30-2004, 01:56 AM
How many Valpo players were injured during the game?

IowaBison
08-30-2004, 01:48 PM
it was at least five, i honestly lost count