PDA

View Full Version : Bison Band

bballfan
08-03-2004, 04:54 AM
Why isn't NDSU bringing their band to the SDSU game this year? *They have almost a month with no performances over this period, but its not listed on their schedule. *You can't tell me that they can't afford a trip down the interstate on a Saturday afternoon with three or four buses for the band, they won't even have to stay the night in Brookings. *It adds a lot to the game day atmosphere to have two opposing bands playing during the game. *Any of you bison band members, I would love to know why the game isn't scheduled for you, there really isn't any excuse except .... well, I think you can figure out what I'm saying, so this thread doesn't end up in smack talk.

http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/goldstarband/marching/schedule.php

Bisonfan1234
08-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Why isn't NDSU bringing their band to the SDSU game this year? *They have almost a month with no performances over this period, but its not listed on their schedule. *You can't tell me that they can't afford a trip down the interstate on a Saturday afternoon with three or four buses for the band, they won't even have to stay the night in Brookings. *It adds a lot to the game day atmosphere to have two opposing bands playing during the game. *Any of you bison band members, I would love to know why the game isn't scheduled for you, there really isn't any excuse except .... well, I think you can figure out what I'm saying, so this thread doesn't end up in smack talk.

Our band is so small they could probably fit on one bus. But I'm sure they can't afford that.

BisonFan
08-03-2004, 01:33 PM
You better stop now 1234...

KTF
08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
bisonfan1234

did you ever attend NDSU?

tony
08-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Heck, Bisonfan1234 has over 1000 posts now and only a couple of them have had anything positive to say so I'm not surprised :)

If he has been to a game, he knows that the Gold Star is pretty big and is just trying to stir things up.

Anyway, if the band can't make it to SDSU, then maybe it's time for some band fundraising.

Band camp opens in 15 days.

Bisonguy
08-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Isn't the GSMB budget something like $25,000?

Not a lot of road games on a budget like that ::)

Maybe they could have fundraisers at tailgating- Sell beer (legal issues?), cookies, T-shirts, or something.

KTF
08-03-2004, 04:19 PM
I know from experience that the road trips for the GSB are mostly funded by the athletic department (teammakers in the playoffs), maybe they (athletic department) cut the funding? Anyways, it is a shame that the GSB can't make it. Maybe it is better, I recall that in the 2000 season, when the band did go on the trip to UNO, the Herd lost their only regular season game, maybe it is a good thing... ???

WYOBISONMAN
08-03-2004, 05:05 PM
As a D1 school I think that we need to work to have our Marching Band be a presence at away games. It can have a huge impact on the image of NDSU as a serious contender and it gives more support to our team at an away venue. I would love to see the Gold Star Marching Band at the UNC and Weber games. Doc Putnam would be proud!!!

IowaBison
08-03-2004, 05:19 PM
I wonder if they aren't trying to swing a different away game.

Their funding for the most part actually comes from student activity fee as well as outside donations, maybe they plan on going to a different game?

89rabbit
08-03-2004, 05:30 PM
And miss the first ever "Dakota Marker" game. . . not a very good way to start a rivalry. *:-/ The Gold Star should make the return trip to Brookings.

Bisonfan1234
08-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I can't believe you guys can call Gold Star a marching band with a straight face.

SDSU Pride is a marching band. If anyone @ NDSU cared about the band, THAT is what it would be like.

But I guess they don't.

WYOBISONMAN
08-03-2004, 05:58 PM
It wouldn't bother me to kick in a donation to the GSMB if they asked alumni for money....I think they are a vital part of NDSU.

BisonFan
08-03-2004, 06:24 PM
I can't believe you guys can call Gold Star a marching band with a straight face.

SDSU Pride is a marching band. If anyone @ NDSU cared about the band, THAT is what it would be like.

But I guess they don't.

That's funny coming from you, someone who's made it obvious that he doesn't care about the band! *You want a band like SDSU, but you won't lift a finger to support one and then you whine about the band you've got wondering why it isn't like SDSU's. * Whatever 1234....The GSB is just fine as is and it will only get better with more support!

Bisonguy
08-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Maybe the Gold Star Marching Band would have more members if they got to play on a better surface, like FieldTurfTM ;D ::)

Seriously, if all the season ticket holders gave $10/yr. to the band, it would more than double their budget. New music, new uniforms, new instruments, etc.

Bison7925
08-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Maybe the Gold Star Marching Band would have more members if they got to play on a better surface, like FieldTurfTM ;D ::)

How dare you open the door like that >:( >:( ;D

Now we have to put up with 45 more moronic posts from 1234.

Bisonfan1
08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I would gladly make a sealed can for donations for the Goldstar Marching Band at the Battlewagon which should be easy for everyone to find, and make arrangements to turn over the can to someone prior to kickoff. Good Idea ? Yes ? No? If enough interest in donations Ill make a contact at NDSU. Should not be any legal issue for all of us to contribute $ for the band during tailgating activities.

Bisonguy
08-03-2004, 07:39 PM
I would gladly make a sealed can for donations for the Goldstar Marching Band at the Battlewagon which should be easy for everyone to find, and make arrangements to turn over the can to someone prior to kickoff. Good Idea ? Yes ? No? *If enough interest in donations Ill make a contact at NDSU. Should not be any legal issue for all of us to contribute $ for the band during tailgating activities.

Yes-The Battlewagon would make for a great landmark for donations.

Maybe some signs would help stir up some interest

WYOBISONMAN
08-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Will the Battlewagon be at UNC?? I hope so because I really want to see it!

Bisonfan1
08-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Every Home game, South Dakota State, UNC is still up in the air. New tires/front end alignment, tune up etc all this week so will be ready to go anywhere. Some new graphics on the top side next week. Im ready for some Bison Football !!!!! There allready seems some will donate so will make a contact at NDSU this week.

tony
08-03-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm on board. There will be no stripper tipping and blackjack playing for me next time I'm in town for a game. I'll donate all the money I save to the Battle Wagon fund drive... up to a maximum of ten dollars or so :)

Anyway, I've mocked up a fund drive thing and put it here (CAUTION: Some of the images may be disturbing).

This is going to take forever to load, sorry (http://www.bisonville.com/BANDAID2004.html)

BisonFan
08-04-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm on board. There will be no stripper tipping and blackjack playing for me next time I'm in town for a game. I'll donate all the money I save to the Battle Wagon fund drive... up to a maximum of ten dollars or so :)

Anyway, I've mocked up a fund drive thing and put it here (CAUTION: Some of the images may be disturbing).

This is going to take forever to load, sorry (http://www.bisonville.com/BANDAID2004.html)

That's funny Tony and it only took 1 second to load on a high-speed connection!

Bisonguy
08-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Bisonfan1

Check your PM's ;D ;D ;D

bisononce
08-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Sealed donation can for the band an excellent idea. And we've got to get some gentle publicity from it; i.e. football crazy guys with a soft spot to help out the band thing... Heck, call the Spectrum and get a photographer over. ;)

Bisonguy
08-04-2004, 04:21 AM
What's everybody's opinion on a flyer like this to hand out to tailgaters- http://www.myweb.cableone.net/dehoff/BandAid.gif

Opinions and corrections Puhleeease..... ;D ;D ;D

I wouldn't print them in color -but they'd be on yellow or green paper- anybody that would want to help hand some out?

89rabbit
08-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Every Home game, South Dakota, UNC is still up in the air. New tires/front end alignment, tune up etc all this week so will be ready to go anywhere. Some new graphics on the top side next week. Im ready for some Bison Football !!!!! There allready seems some will donate so will make a contact at NDSU this week.

Glad you are bringing the Battle Wagon down to Brookings. It will help make the tailgating area even more fun. I have one request, when you talk about bringing it down please put the "State" after South Dakota, I don't want to be confused with that D-II team. ;)

Go State! ;D

bisononce
08-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Bisonguy.
Get friends of the band to hand out flyers; little brothers, parents, etc.
Longshot. What's chance of getting an announcement at halftime: "Support your Gold Star band! Stop by the Bison Battlewagon after the game... It is located..."

Bisonguy
08-04-2004, 08:38 PM
I'll accept any volunteers that want to help hand out flyers before the game. ;D

Comments or suggestions on the flyer at the link I posted above are welcome and encouraged. It looks like you have to enlarge the picture to see the text correctly.

Bisonfan1
08-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Bisonguy - the fllyer looks great, 89Rabbit - correction to South Dakota State made in other post. Sent an e-mail out today, awaiting a reply from a contact at NDSU. GO BISON

TheBisonator
08-04-2004, 10:42 PM
I'd be willing to donate $20 or so to the band this fall, and I'm a cash-strapped student.

WYOBISONMAN
08-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Let me know where I could mail a check.....PM me.

Bisonfan1
08-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Got a response from NDSU, there are solicitation policy's in place at the Fargodome, passing out flyers is OUT, it was suggested that anyone wishing contributing to the Goldstar Marching Band, send your donation to the Division Of Fine Arts to which the band is a part of. So there will be no donation point at the Battlewagon. I will be sending a check to NDSU to donate to the band fund. GO BISON !!!

rockbison
08-31-2004, 06:43 AM
just as an fyi, chapman might of heard your battle cries!

WYOBISONMAN
08-31-2004, 05:20 PM
I just sent a check to the Development Foundation earmarked for the Band. First money I have given outside of the Pol. Sci. dept. and the College of Business....

Bisonfan1
08-31-2004, 05:28 PM
WyoBisonman, what address did you send it to? didnt get that far yet, too busy last week to check it out. I will also send a check and hope others do also.

WYOBISONMAN
08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Just sent it to the Foundation address on the ndsu.edu web site......But, I specifically stated the money was for the Gold Star Band.

troianus
09-04-2004, 01:48 AM
According to some of my friends in the band, they might actually be going to SDSU, they just have to wait for athletics, and 1234, the band probably can't even fit in two buses. its about 100 members at least in size

WYOBISONMAN
09-06-2004, 02:30 PM
With all the hordes of NDSU alumni that went to the UNC game, it really, REALLY would have been great to have had the Gold Star Band there....

roadwarrior
09-06-2004, 03:54 PM
There could be and should be probably ten times the number of Bison fans at the SDSU game as there were at the UNC game.

Would be great to have the band sitting with us.

bballfan
09-09-2004, 04:16 PM
I guess your band has some balls after all ;D.

Bisonguy
06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Heck yeah, bringing this thread back to life!!!:nod: :D

Just received the 2008 Band Aid (my terminology) fundraiser campaign packet yesterday.

New in store for 2008 -GOLD drums, new unis (there's a photo inside of what they look like) and goals of having 200 members/40 for the pep band.

For all those complaining about the GSMB in the past, here's your chance to put up or shut up.

For anyone that has not received the packet, the Development Foundation is taking care of fundraising.

SlickVic
06-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Heck yeah, bringing this thread back to life!!!:nod: :D

Just received the 2008 Band Aid (my terminology) fundraiser campaign packet yesterday.

New in store for 2008 -GOLD drums, new unis (there's a photo inside of what they look like) and goals of having 200 members/40 for the pep band.

For all those complaining about the GSMB in the past, here's your chance to put up or shut up.

For anyone that has not received the packet, the Development Foundation is taking care of fundraising.

got that to there not playing games on the form you have the option to circle a donation of $250 $500 $1,000 putcha khakis on people ;)

Bison bison
06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
the check is in the mail.

hopefully the development foundation can find some well-heeled alums that have a penchant for tootery

Bisonguy
06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
got that to there not playing games on the form you have the option to circle a donation of $250 $500 $1,000 putcha khakis on people ;)

There is a spot to write in your donation amount, as well. I'm sure the'd be willing to take a $100 donation.

mebisonII
06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
the check is in the mail.

hopefully the development foundation can find some well-heeled alums that have a penchant for tootery

Rep points for one of the coolest wordings I've ever seen on this board! :)

BisBison
06-16-2008, 11:26 PM
There is a spot to write in your donation amount, as well. I'm sure the'd be willing to take a $100 donation.

They will happily take any and all contributions. My check is going in the mail this week, and my son is registering next Friday and will be joining the newly bedecked Gold Star Marching Band just like his dear old (and I mean OLD) Dad did a few years ago.

TbonZach
06-16-2008, 11:47 PM
and my son is registering next Friday and will be joining the newly bedecked Gold Star Marching Band just like his dear old (and I mean OLD) Dad did a few years ago.

What does your son play?

And make sure to not inform him of any of our traditions quite yet.... if you can still remember them. ;) :)

BisBison
06-17-2008, 03:49 AM
What does your son play?

And make sure to not inform him of any of our traditions quite yet.... if you can still remember them. ;) :)

He plays the tenor sax, and has marched 4 years in the Mandan High field marching band. (the only high school field marching band in ND). As far as traditions go he's on his own.:uhyeah:

TbonZach
06-17-2008, 05:00 AM
He plays the tenor sax, and has marched 4 years in the Mandan High field marching band. (the only high school field marching band in ND). As far as traditions go he's on his own.:uhyeah:

"Friends don't let friends play woodwinds." :p That's awesome, though. Look forward to meeting him this August.

And it's really sad that Mandan is the only band in ND. Nothing against Mandan, far from it. It was fun having them come up to NDSU and play. I was part of the West Fargo band for three years when they still did field stuff ('00-'02) and loved every moment - with the strong exception of the marching band director, which is another story.

Bison"FANatic"
06-17-2008, 02:12 PM
We received one of the letters from teammakers and another from the Band. It is great to see them putting some emphasis on the band and throwing them some scholarship money. My wife always said she put in a lot of work for just the 1 credit or so that you earned for being in the band. We will be sending them a check!

mebisonII
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
"Friends don't let friends play woodwinds." :p That's awesome, though. Look forward to meeting him this August.

And it's really sad that Mandan is the only band in ND. Nothing against Mandan, far from it. It was fun having them come up to NDSU and play. I was part of the West Fargo band for three years when they still did field stuff ('00-'02) and loved every moment - with the strong exception of the marching band director, which is another story.

I've got two shirts with that on still hanging in my closet :nod:

Tau Rho Upsilon Mu Phi Eta Tau Sigma forever!

Hammersmith
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Well, he is a UND alum. ;)

(At least, I'm assuming it's MB you're talking about.)

BisBison
06-18-2008, 01:40 AM

This from a guy who plays the only instrument that you can play with your mittens on?? :D :D

Bisonguy
06-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!!!!

Everyone stand back, band smack has commenced!!!!

BigDeal
06-18-2008, 02:23 AM
mebisonII, you'll be glad to know that Tau Rho Upsilon Mu Pi Epsilon Tau Sigma still exists and is still on every trumpet shirt. I now have 5 of those shirts, 2 of which were from 2004.

TbonZach
06-18-2008, 03:00 AM
This from a guy who plays the only instrument that you can play with your mittens on?? :D :D

They're so toasty warm! I just sit back and laugh at everyone else with cold hands during the winter. Until my mouth freezes to my mouthpiece or my slide freezes... both of which aren't that fun. My second year in Concert Band we were on tour in March and my slide froze from being under the bus for so long. 5 minutes before the concert started it finally came free. That sucked.

BTW, long story short, I also play cymbals in the GSMB so that's TWO instruments that I can play with mittens on. :D

And Tau Rho Upsilon Mu Phi Eta Tau Sigma is the only time that I've wanted to play trumpet.

SDbison
06-18-2008, 04:25 AM
OK, so this year money is kind of tight (wife was without a job for 4 months this past winter and new job doesn't pay as much) so I was barely able to pay for teammakers and season tickets. Still trying to catch up and I have had to say no to the NDSU annual fund and a couple other academic and athletic funds I usually give to each year at NDSU. The question is, I have a trumpet that is in mint condition from when I played up until 9th grade, would there be any use to donate it to NDSU? Better to just sell it and give the proceeds to the GSMB?

mebisonII
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
mebisonII, you'll be glad to know that Tau Rho Upsilon Mu Pi Epsilon Tau Sigma still exists and is still on every trumpet shirt. I now have 5 of those shirts, 2 of which were from 2004.

That indeed makes me very happy, as I was there for its inception in the Union dining center :) I also must know you...hmmm.

SDbison I imagine it depends on the trumpet a bit on whether its best to donate it to the school or sell it and give the money. If its a nicer horn, probably sell it, as the schools marching trumpets get abused pretty bad. If its a relatively cheap, light horn (like most junior high trumpet players have) the school might have use for it...probably best to call or email the new director.

mebisonII
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I just got my fundraising info today too. The new uniforms look pretty decent, a nice update. Also, I just have to say, the new director looks EXACTLY like a percussion professor should look, that hair is awesome!

I got pretty excited and jealous of current band members while reading that pamphlet. Looks like a great time to be in the GSMB! :nod:

BISON Thunder
07-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Anyone have an update on the fundraising? How about the band...will it be bigger/better than last year?

imabison
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Anyone have an update on the fundraising? How about the band...will it be bigger/better than last year?
I would think that we will have to wait until the season to know if the band has expanded. We will have give Sig a chance to work with announcements, and recruiting new members.

I have a good feeling about the future of the Gold Star Band, but patience grasshopper.:)

onbison09
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Pics of unis?

sambini
09-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Hats off to the band. Much better this year. Are you going to play the fight song in the bars on friday night ? Like they do at Wyoming?

99Bison
09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Pics of unis?

Look in the August issue of Bison Illustrated.

BigDeal
09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Hats off to the band. Much better this year. Are you going to play the fight song in the bars on friday night ? Like they do at Wyoming?

What a great idea... to get the band into the Fargo community more. If I still lived in Fargo, I would love to go downtown on a Friday before a game and see an ensemble playing a few songs in a bar or on the street. It would show a greater connection between the university and the city of Fargo. This band is very young (I would imagine a very high percentage of Freshmen), but I sense a lot of retention for next year. Once you get enough band members over 21, I would say this group would be all for it. (I'm assuming you have to be 21 in ND to perform in a bar too. I don't know though) Rock on GSB.

fargocyclone
09-16-2008, 11:43 PM
At ISU, we go around to the bars the night before the Homecoming game. It's probably just Ames, but they let anyone in that has an instrument when the band is walking in. We fill it til you can't move (some are left outside) and then play as loud as we can! Good times...

BigBison
09-17-2008, 03:36 AM
This is a pretty cool idea!

mebisonII
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I don't know, I'm a little cool on the idea. There's enough going on on game weekends already without adding in another semi-required thing. The other thing is, what bar do you go to? I was never into the bar scene in college, but aren't the Fargo bars spread relatively far and wide, compared to other college towns? Sounds like a lot of trucking around to play for a roomful of people, most of whom really wouldn't care if you're there or not.

Interesting that its done at other schools, though...I had never heard of that.

If there's enough people who wanted to do it, that's cool, but I wouldn't have been excited to do it when I played. Reminds me of when they decided a small part of the band should go up and play for the team when they walk over from the dome. Definately not worth the hassle.

Playing for the tailgating lot seems like a better investment, though. We did that a few times my last years, have they kept that up?

Civil06
09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
It would be more difficult in Fargo. Iowa State, for instance, would only have to walk across the street and have a ton of bars in close proximity.

Parking lot party at the Turf!

99Bison
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Band requests:
1. On gameday, march through (part of) campus on way to fargodome, along street next to tailgating.
2. Occasional volunteer band playing some bars through the town before game day... It takes about 6 people everyone there thinks it's interesting. Also could be just downtown bars due to ease.

imabison
09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Band requests:
1. On gameday, march through (part of) campus on way to fargodome, along street next to tailgating.
2. Occasional volunteer band playing some bars through the town before game day... It takes about 6 people everyone there thinks it's interesting. Also could be just downtown bars due to ease.
If I recall during the days of Dr Dorothy he had told us that if there was inclement weather the band was asked if they wanted to march to the dome or not.

The band always did march, but they were never forced. I presume that it has not changed as far as that goes.

56BISON73
09-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Anything that the band can do to raise its image in a positive light is a go for me. To go out and engage the public the day before and of the game is a no brainer IF the band wants to do it. PL

Hammersmith
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
We did play at Playmakers a few times in the 90's. One of the problems with the shrinking band in the Olfert era was that the same few students would've had to do every bar trip. As the band approaches 200 members, it should be easier to get 20 or 30 students to travel to the bars.

Marching through campus: Don't they still do that? That would suck if they've quit marching up Albrecht. I know the removal of the freight entrance off of 19th after the Fargodome flooded around 2000 realy messed things up for the band, but an alternate route that still passes near the west lots should have been found. We used to line up on the patio space in front of the Music Building lobby, march between the heating plant and Minard, jump onto Albrecht and follow it all the way to the NW corner of the dome with police escort all the way. It's too bad that the band can't use that route and just use a short section of 19th to get back to the freight entrance, but that would be a traffic disaster. Maybe Albrecht to the west lots and then the south sidewalks to the main entrance to the freight entrance might be the best choice.

I only remember a couple times in six years where we didn't march to the dome. Each of those cases were because of hard rain. If the rain was light or misting or snow, we left our plumes in their cardboard tubes, stuck them in our coats, and put them on when we got to the dome. Heavy rain would've damaged the uniforms, some of the woodwinds, and some of the drums, so that's why we cancelled the march in those conditions.

A1pigskin
09-17-2008, 11:00 PM
They could play in some neighborhood parks to get the community motivated.

BigDeal
09-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Marching through campus: Don't they still do that? That would suck if they've quit marching up Albrecht. I know the removal of the freight entrance off of 19th after the Fargodome flooded around 2000 realy messed things up for the band, but an alternate route that still passes near the west lots should have been found. We used to line up on the patio space in front of the Music Building lobby, march between the heating plant and Minard, jump onto Albrecht and follow it all the way to the NW corner of the dome with police escort all the way. It's too bad that the band can't use that route and just use a short section of 19th to get back to the freight entrance, but that would be a traffic disaster. Maybe Albrecht to the west lots and then the south sidewalks to the main entrance to the freight entrance might be the best choice.

Yes. Albrecht up to 17th(?) then right and another left in front of the dome to the freight entrance on the north side. Every game. Exceptions to this are when the band is meeting in the BSA for some other performance (homecoming, etc.).

TbonZach
09-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Once you get enough band members over 21, I would say this group would be all for it. (I'm assuming you have to be 21 in ND to perform in a bar too. I don't know though)

You don't have to be 21 if you're performing. I have an underage friend that has played in a few bars. If I recall you have to come in (using the back entrance if available) and go straight to the warm up area/stage. You obviously still can't drink alcohol while you're there if you're of legal age.

BigDeal
09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
You don't have to be 21 if you're performing. I have an underage friend that has played in a few bars. If I recall you have to come in (using the back entrance if available) and go straight to the warm up area/stage. You obviously still can't drink alcohol while you're there if you're of legal age.

Thanks for the clarification.

56BISON73
09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey I gotta question. What with the straight leg kicking thing you guys do???? Never seen that before except for here. PL

sambini
09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Anything that the band can do to raise its image in a positive light is a go for me. To go out and engage the public the day before and of the game is a no brainer IF the band wants to do it. PL
++++++++ Downtown Bars Rooters, Sports, OB, Empire, and Turf. And also CHUBS ++++

roadwarrior
09-20-2008, 02:05 PM
++++++++ Downtown Bars Rooters, Sports, OB, Empire, and Turf. And also CHUBS ++++

Add Bismarck, Dempseys, Aquarium, Fort Noks just on Broadway.

sambini
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Sounds good Road++++

56BISON73
09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Come on band guys----what with the straight leg kick thing you do??????
PL

TbonZach
09-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Come on band guys----what with the straight leg kick thing you do??????
PL

I can't tell ya because I honestly don't know. We've been doing it during certain drum cadences since I've been here.

Hammer?

56BISON73
09-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I can't tell ya because I honestly don't know. We've been doing it during certain drum cadences since I've been here.

Hammer?

I SEE YOU GUYS DOING IT WHEN YOU GO OFF THE FIELD AND WHEN YOU ARE IN THE CORNER. jUST WONDERING IF ITS SOME TYPE OF TRADITION THING??? pl
Opps sorry for the cap lock. PL

imabison
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
I SEE YOU GUYS DOING IT WHEN YOU GO OFF THE FIELD AND WHEN YOU ARE IN THE CORNER. jUST WONDERING IF ITS SOME TYPE OF TRADITION THING??? pl
Opps sorry for the cap lock. PL
I have sent a query to someone who might be able to anser the question. I will add the reply if it comes.

A1pigskin
09-22-2008, 01:13 AM
I have sent a query to someone who might be able to anser the question. I will add the reply if it comes.

Are we the only school that does this?

extremerouge
09-22-2008, 02:07 AM
hey fargocyclone, do you do the leg kick thing?

mebisonII
09-22-2008, 03:01 AM
I also have no idea what the history off where the leg-kicking comes from...as well as any other whatnot during the march-over. None of the other teams we marched with in my day ever did that. Most places were pretty straight-laced. I think USD did a little fist-pumping thing....pretty low key.

I saw many other bands that could make a case for being better than us back in the day, but not too many looked like they had as much fun as us! :D

Except UC-Davis. They were better than us and looked like they had even more fun. And when I think about it, I think they came on-field for their show doing a leg-kicking thing.

fargocyclone
09-22-2008, 03:19 AM
hey fargocyclone, do you do the leg kick thing?

I have no idea what leg kick you guys are talking about, but we do do some kicks or swings. When I make it up North on Nov. 22nd, someone will have to point this kick thing out to me!

Hammersmith
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I have no idea what leg kick you guys are talking about, but we do do some kicks or swings. When I make it up North on Nov. 22nd, someone will have to point this kick thing out to me!

When parade marching, the GSMB has a few things it does during certain points in the drum cadence. If I remember right(it has been almost ten years since I marched), there is a section that begins with a shoulder shake on beats 1-2-3 and a lean back and "HUH!" on beat 4. After 8 measures, the cadence picks up and the band leans back and marches with knees locked, kicking their feet forward until their legs hit about 45 degrees. After 4 measures of this, another layer is added to the cadence(toms?) and the leg is kicked out to the side instead of a forward kick(kind of a side-to-side sway). All of this is repeated before moving on to a different cadence with different moves that go with it.

Is it tradition? Not really; at least there's no significance to it that I know of. I assume it was born from boring marches on Homecoming and game days. To someone who's never marched in a field show band(as opposed to a parade band), you might not realize how boring marching up a street can be to a band used to learning and practicing halftime drill routines. The kicks and other assorted moves were probably added to break up the monotony. In fact, the basic moves are like a canvas to which small changes are added each year. Also, the march to the dome can also include a game where one section tries to create new moves to see if they catch on. A new move might start at the back of the band around South Engineering, and move to the front by the IACC. It can also be a competition between sections to come up with different(better?) moves. Again, a way to break up the routine.

If you see members of the band doing these things in the stands or on the field, it's just a way of bringing the parade march indoors. It's kind of a Pavlovian response. You end up linking the moves to the cadence and doing the kicks and sweeps every time you hear that section of the cadence.

Hope this doesn't create more questions than it answers. My recollections are a bit spotty and things may have changed some in the last decade.

sambini
09-24-2008, 03:12 AM
When parade marching, the GSMB has a few things it does during certain points in the drum cadence. If I remember right(it has been almost ten years since I marched), there is a section that begins with a shoulder shake on beats 1-2-3 and a lean back and "HUH!" on beat 4. After 8 measures, the cadence picks up and the band leans back and marches with knees locked, kicking their feet forward until their legs hit about 45 degrees. After 4 measures of this, another layer is added to the cadence(toms?) and the leg is kicked out to the side instead of a forward kick(kind of a side-to-side sway). All of this is repeated before moving on to a different cadence with different moves that go with it.

Is it tradition? Not really; at least there's no significance to it that I know of. I assume it was born from boring marches on Homecoming and game days. To someone who's never marched in a field show band(as opposed to a parade band), you might not realize how boring marching up a street can be to a band used to learning and practicing halftime drill routines. The kicks and other assorted moves were probably added to break up the monotony. In fact, the basic moves are like a canvas to which small changes are added each year. Also, the march to the dome can also include a game where one section tries to create new moves to see if they catch on. A new move might start at the back of the band around South Engineering, and move to the front by the IACC. It can also be a competition between sections to come up with different(better?) moves. Again, a way to break up the routine.

If you see members of the band doing these things in the stands or on the field, it's just a way of bringing the parade march indoors. It's kind of a Pavlovian response. You end up linking the moves to the cadence and doing the kicks and sweeps every time you hear that section of the cadence.

Hope this doesn't create more questions than it answers. My recollections are a bit spotty and things may have changed some in the last decade.
Thanks Hammersmith for your insight+++

56BISON73
09-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks Hammer. PL

mebisonII
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Your description of it is about accurate for my time there (starting shortly after you were done, I think). I know they changed the cadence some ~2001 because we had a great drumline that wanted to do more. The main thing added (for better or for worse) during my tenure was 'running lines'...one line takes off running out of formation and circles the entire band. I don't remember what section started it, but trumpets did it alot. It was fun, but it could also be problematic if your line's space wasn't there when you got back, or if three lines happened to do it at the same time.

We also found out the hard way that running around BOTH the NDSU and UNO bands at the same time was a long trip in a wool uniform.

TbonZach
09-24-2008, 11:30 PM
The main thing added (for better or for worse) during my tenure was 'running lines'...one line takes off running out of formation and circles the entire band. I don't remember what section started it, but trumpets did it alot. It was fun, but it could also be problematic if your line's space wasn't there when you got back, or if three lines happened to do it at the same time.

Can't forget about smacking the stop signs. Or ridding the bone.