PDA

View Full Version : Here are the playoff brackets and seeds...

WYOBISONMAN
11-21-2004, 06:31 PM
AS you can see, Cal Poly and the West got little respect.... :-/

2004 I-AA Playoffs Set
Seeds:
1. Southern Illinois
2. Furman
3. William and Mary
4. Georgia Southern

Upper Bracket:

-- #1 Southern Illinois vs. Eastern Washington
plays the winner of:
-- Sam Houston State vs. Western Kentucky

-- Montana vs. Northwestern State
plays the winner of:
-- #4 Georgia Southern vs. New Hampshire

Lower Bracket:

-- #3 William and Mary vs. Hampton
plays the winner of:
-- Delaware vs. Lafayette

-- Lehigh vs. James Madison
plays the winner of:
-- #2 Furman vs. Jacksonville State

TheBisonator
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
DAMMIT, Cal-Poly didn't get in.

And I was gonna root for them, too.

tony
11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Georgia Southern v New Hampshire will be on ESPN next weekemd.

Cal Poly got shafted a little bit - the DI-AA guy on the panel pointed it out nicely.

I'm think the playoffs should go to 24 teams - they've just got too many good programs combined with too many autobids.

Bisonfan01234
11-21-2004, 07:13 PM
The problem for Poly was that the selection committee saw them going 3-1 vs. 4 transitional teams which are all obviously horrible ::).

TheBisonator
11-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Georgia Southern v New Hampshire will be on ESPN next weekemd.

Cal Poly got shafted a little bit - the DI-AA guy on the panel pointed it out nicely.

I'm think the playoffs should go to 24 teams - they've just got too many good programs combined with too many autobids.

Oh please God, no. Do you want DI-AA to be like DII??

tony
11-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I don't see how expanding the playoffs to 24 would make DI-AA like DII in any bad way.

JBB
11-21-2004, 08:08 PM
I like 24 too. The format is ok if you skip the regional rankings.

roadwarrior
11-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Why take more than 16? Next thing someone will want a 64 team playoff field, and we would be playing into January before its all done. No matter how many teams get into the playoffs, the teams on the bubble will always cry foul when they dont get in. Thats just the way it is.

Bisonfan01234
11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
I agree if you simply take out the autobids. Why have them? If you're good, you're good, who cares what conference you're in.

tony
11-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, I've got three reasons for expanding:

1. DII has already expanded to 24-team playoffs, but since they don't want to have their championships on at the same time as DI-AA's, they have to start at least a week earlier than DI-AA and shorten their season by one week to make this work. DI-A is talking like they want 12 games in the regular season too. By adding a playoff round, everybody would start the same time.

2. There are too many autobids with more possibly on the way. It'd be great if the Ivy League joined the playoffs, for example, but it would add yet another autobid. Big South will get a bid. Maybe the Great West too. Heck, what if we get new conferences from DI-A on top of it?

3. I think there are more playoff quaility teams in DI-AA than in DII. Even at 16 teams, DII would have four or five teams that aren't playoff quality. I think you'd have a pretty easy time finding 8 more playoff quality teams in DI-AA.

I guess we'll have to see how things play out over the next three seasons.

WYOBISONMAN
11-22-2004, 03:37 AM
And.....for this year....I will be supporting Montana and Eastern Washington. Good luck to the Griz and the Eagles!

scottheck
11-22-2004, 04:19 AM
I bet the rest of the country would have howled if the selection committee gave equal consideration to an "expansion" conference with transitional teams. While it seems unfair to us, and really so to Cal-Poly, established programs probably get more weight. And, yes, it's no doubt political. These things always are... :P

JBB
11-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I think the ratio of members to championship eligibility has to be greater. Thats more or less saying there are enough deserving teams.

NSU @ Montana will be a great game.

IowaBison
11-22-2004, 01:41 PM

I hope your joking, Tony.

tony
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I never joke... wait, a minute... that was a joke.

No, I was serious. If the number of autobid conferences stays the same, that's fine, but if the number increases, that's going to be a problem.

However, I found a solution just as well on AnyGivenSaturday (although I'd eliminate autobids if there get to be any more conferences):

Seed 'em all (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/cgi-bin/board/cutecast.pl?session=4ots4ErKp7HDUflrhgXN8yCdPV&for um=4&thread=7308)