PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Decision Day - December 13

mikelsch
11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Let the countdown begin to this VERY important date. We are 3 weeks away from the next giant step in Big Sky conference expansion discussions. On December 13, the Big Sky presidents will decide:

1. If they want to expand
2. If yes, what institutions are candidates for on-site evaluations that will take place in early 2005

They will probably wait and decide the exact number of schools to admit until the final vote. I hope they take all 4: NDSU, SDSU, UNC, S Utah. If there are any other candidates, they have done a good job keeping it a secret (but will know Dec. 13).

2 divisions within the conference (rough estimate). Only one new school- S Utah - in the "West" to help alleviate travel concerns of the schools most opposed to distant schools like NDSU/SDSU.
East: NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana St, Idaho St, UNC
West: Sac St, Port St, N Az, E Wash, Weber, S Utah

Look at that. Now that's a powerful conference!!! I think the Big Sky would love to overtake the Atlantic 10 as the premiere I-AA football conference.

Bisonfan01234
11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Or possibly a IA conference?

Check out these attendance stats for the 04 regular season:

BIG SKY CONFERENCE . .Att . . . . . G . . . .Avg
Montana. . . . . . . . . . 160,368. . . . 7 . . 22,910
Montana State. . . . . . 74,192. . . . 6 . . 12,365
Northern Arizona. . . . 49,366. . . . 6 . . . 8,228
Idaho State. . . . . . . . 33,236. . . . 5 . . . 6,647
Eastern Washington . 38,797. . . . 6 . . . 6,466
Portland State. . . . . . 35,549. . . . 6 . . . 5,925
Weber State. . . . . . . .34,735. . . . 6 . . . 5,789
Sacramento State. . . .24,870. . . . 5 . . . 4,974

GREAT WEST CONFERENCE Att. . . G . . . Avg
North Dakota State . . . . . 79,614 . 6 . . 13,269
South Dakota State . . . . . 39,384 . 4 . . .9,846
Cal Poly SLO . . . . . . . . . . .41,974 . 5 . . . 8,395
Cal-Davis . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29,010 . 4 . . . 7,253
Northern Colorado . . . . . .27,370 . 6 . . . 4,562
Southern Utah . . . . . . . . .19,197 . 5 . . . 3,839

Interesting to note how horrible Portland, Weber, and Sac did.

I don't blame Sac or Weber, they simply sucked this year. Portland State, however, finished 7-4 with a win over Montana! And STILL, the fans won't come. Football is supposidly PSU's flagship sport!

With them dropping tennis, they're in trouble with the Sky!

Weber has a place in the Sky simply because of their great basketball team.

Sac, who knows. They've never had great fan support for footbal. Their basketbal arena is a joke.

Looking at the Great West: both South Utah and UNC drew abismally. UNC, however, only has a capacity of 6500. So is this draw isn't bad for them...just in general. They need to up it if they want the sky. I think they could convince the Sky to take them on their football prowess alone if you could show them plans to update the football stadium's capacity. They aren't going to get in based on basketball, that's for sure.

South Utah is doubtful, though. They did fairly well on the field and couldn't even draw 20000 fans. They have no basketball to speak of either.

My predictions for the immediate future: The sky takes NDSU, SDSU, and UNC (which leaves the door open for UND).

Less immediate future: Sac State drops football, joins the Big West.

PSU gets kicked out of the Sky and either Joins the Big West/Great West or drops to D2 and joins the GNAC.

Bison_Dan
11-22-2004, 10:09 PM
I wonder how commited Sac St. is? I can see them bringing on NDSU, SDSU and losing Sac St.

Bisonguy
11-22-2004, 10:10 PM
I thought the date was pushed back a couple weeks.... :-/ Is that the updated date, or the original one that was discussed?

IowaBison
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
I have no idea why I'm responding to one of Bison01234's posts but here goes:

Portland State has taken a beating since moving up. They had a couple of tough seasons and I doubt they'll even get back to where they were attendance wise being d2.

That being said, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to being a member of the GNAC. Hell, it's bad enough when they schedule one of them year after year. PSU is closer to Oklahoma than they are to most of the GNAC members.

Bisonfan01234
11-22-2004, 10:27 PM
That's intereting.

In the meantime, PSU is a playoff caliber team in DIAA. They proved it this season with wins over McNeese St, Idaho St, Montana, Weber St, Sac St, and Cal-Davis. They had a 10 point loss to Fresno St, a 7 point loss to Montana St, and a 1 point loss to North AZ. Take away those MSU and NAZ losses and they're in the playoffs.

With all that mind, they drew only 5900 a game (including sub-10k for a win over Montana) and I suspect they only acheived that with some late season ticket deals.

They're certainly not bringing many fans in with their less than boring basketball program and sub par arena.

If you were the Sky and saw this, what would you do?

WYOBISONMAN
11-22-2004, 11:17 PM
What would I do.....easy......call Gene Taylor up and say. ;)..."God, I want you baby!!!!" ;)

tony
11-23-2004, 12:41 AM
And on this note, here's a letter the Alumni Association sent to the Big Sky Commissioner.

BigSkyletter.pdf (http://www.bisonville.com/graphx/BigSkyletter.pdf).

Trimmy
11-23-2004, 01:23 AM
That's a good letter.

BisBison
11-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey BF01234 nice couple of posts on this thread, very informative on the attendance numbers. IMO shows us and SDSU in a very good light in comparison to the SKY.

JACKGUYII
11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
It's nice to see Bison01234 is capable of bringing his A game. The fact that NDSU and SDSU were 1,2 respectively in attendence in the Great West Conference and would have been 3,4 in the Big Sky speaks volumes. If the Big Sky decides to expand I can't imagine the SU's not being welcomed in as we bring a lot to the party. Our schools also travel well to away games. I would guess a similiar letter from the SDSU alumni accompanied our application. SDSU has consistenly led the nation in Basketball attendence and I have a feeling with the positive things happening in football we are about to tap a new revenue source. We averaged close to 10,000 for a home schedule that included Western Oregon,Winona,NDSU and Augie. Wait till have a home schedule with multiple DIAA teams. On the Jacks board we are discussing how we will deal with the potential of exceeding the 10,000 capacity at Howard Wood Field as Jacks may play as many as two games in Sioux Falls which I think is a very smart marketing ploy to expose the product to the state's largest city.

Bisonfan01234
11-23-2004, 08:39 PM
FWI, NDSU would've been 2nd in the Big Sky for either average or total attendace.

Indeed, what's the point of moving games to SD's premier venue if it holds only 10k? Certainly the city nor Augi are going to be interested in expanding.

With Brookings only an easy hour away on I29, why bother?

You have a decent 16k stadium.

The only time I'd do this is if you didn't think you could get more than 10k. But I'd only expect that of a game with a D2 or lower.

Speaking of your stadium, any plans for the future? Perhaps a couple Daktronics replay screens?

JACKGUYII
11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Being NDSU is in Fargo maybe it's hard to understand. IMO, SDSU in order to make the DI transition sucessfull needs the corporate dollars and fan support from Sioux Falls. It may only be 50 miles in distance but with the Sioux Falls mindset it might as well be 150. Sioux Falls without a major university has many transplants who have no allegiances to any of the regional schools. I think the administration feels there is an opportunity to garner more support from Sioux Falls to help fund the move. It also is a bit of a thank you to the many alumnist in Sioux Falls who continue to support SDSU. I doubt anyone will be turned away and they will make arrangements to handle whatever size crowd shows up. Yes, the scoreboard situation has been resolved and Brookings company Daktronics will have new scoreboards and video display boards at both Coughlin and Frost.

WYOBISONMAN
11-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I just called the Big Sky office and asked when the next expansion meeting is to take place and was told (after a little paranoid questioning by the receptionist) that the tentative date is Dec. 13th in Salt Lake City.

Bisonfan01234
11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
You should've said "Hello, this is the University of Idaho, I was wondering...".

Bisonfan01234
11-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Fantasy Big Sky:

East:
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Montana
Montana State

West:
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
East Washington
North Colorado
North Arizona

Bisonguy
11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
You should have said, "Hi, this is the University of Denver, the frontrunner in the Big Sky expansion, and I was wondering......" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WYOBISONMAN
11-23-2004, 11:26 PM
I couldn't have said I was from the University of Idaho because Doug Fullerton would have been so excited he would have died from a heart attack...... ;)

Bisonfan01234
11-24-2004, 12:12 AM
With the enrollment policy finally being enforced, Idaho could be in trouble if they don't get a grandfather rule in.

Sac_State
11-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Less immediate future: Sac State drops football, joins the Big West.

Wrong guess Sherlock, they joined the WAC in baseball. Why would they join the Big Worst when the only reason they would join is now moot?

tony
11-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Sac-State, this is who you are arguing with. (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=site;action=display;num=1095433197;s tart=0#0)

If you scroll down, you'll see what I mean.

Bisonfan01234
11-24-2004, 03:13 PM
That's why it's the less immediate future.

Don't worry about it, it's out of your hands. These events were already set into motion a few years ago, when you were still in elementry school.

mikelsch
11-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Who would want South Dakota? they suck at everything and have a sucky town (similar to GF).

JACKGUYII
11-24-2004, 04:44 PM
I agree that USD has little to no chance of making the move to DI.

Bisonfan01234
11-24-2004, 05:22 PM
The only reason UND was able to get to the way they are now is Ralph Englested.

USD has a person like Ralph. I have no idea what kind of supporter he is for USD, but he is filthy rich. Owns the USA today paper among other things, correct?

Also, Gateway computers and Daktronics are SD companies. Surely they would some sort of corporate sponsor type deal.

Another thing, the SD board of regents wasn't pleased that SDSU was moving up. They might install a sort of Montana "keep the schools together" thing that might force USD up.

I'm not even saying if they moved up that the Big Sky would even consider them, just that it's a fantasy league.

JACKGUYII
11-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Bisonfan01234-Once again you have generated a post that is purely speculative and full of holes.

The rich famous alum from USA Today you are referring to is Al Neuharth. He did contribute money towards a media center building which bears his name. As to whether he will step up and help fund a move to DI that is a longgshot.

Gateway at one time was based in North Sioux City SD but has sinced moved to California. While they still maintain a manufacturing presence there the company has been downsizing for years and has severe financial problems. Ted Waitt the owner and Iowa native has no connection to USD and moved his company to South Dakota originally for the tax advantages. He has been rumored to be interested in buying the Vikings not subsidizing USD. Daktronics is in Brookings (home of the Jackrabbits) and it's owners the Kurtenbachs have deep ties to SDSU and the community. They derive most of their labor force from SDSU. While they have put in new scoreboards at USD like they do at thousands of other venues it came at a cost paid for by other USD sponsors and without the control of the future advertising dollars. I think their is a better chance Daktronics will become even more involved in their hometown school (SDSU). Vermillion posseses even less of a corporate base than Brookings and based on its location in the state had more ties to its neighbors to the south. * * *

Sac_State
11-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Sac-State, this is who you are arguing with. (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=site;action=display;num=1095433197;s tart=0#0)

If you scroll down, you'll see what I mean.

:o

Have a safe and filling Turkey day everyone!

Sac_State
11-24-2004, 07:35 PM
, just that it's a fantasy league.

Do you have season tickets to this league?

IowaBison
11-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Do you have season tickets to this league?

Bison01234's the Commissioner.

WYOBISONMAN
11-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Ha! The Commish......that could be a new TV series. *It could be about this crazy guy that everyone called "The Commish" because he thought he was the damn Commish!!!! *The Commish was kept locked in a closet, but would escape from time to time and embarrass the entire community. *Then the community would go to the Judge (Tony) and he would have The Commish locked up again until he escaped the next time..... ;)

Bisonfan01234
11-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Neuharth certainly is a potential resource if USD ever decided to go DI.

Would they? Who knows.

They could certainly partner up with UND in the same with that NDSU and SDSU have.

DIBISON
11-25-2004, 03:41 AM
Why is UNDII & USD even mentioned in this topic, they are not relevant to it either today or tommorrow?

BisBison
11-25-2004, 04:24 PM
right on DIBISON we could just as well be talking about Mary College in Bismarck, they have hinted about moving up more than both of the two mentioned. I wish nobody on this board would ever bring up und2 again, they are so yesterday, let's leave them there.

JBB
11-25-2004, 07:01 PM
I only think 3 or 4 DI-AA teams lost to DII teams this season with about 60 games played. The average margin of victory was close to 40 pts. What we saw in Fargo was a typical DI-AA/DII match-up.

Its still about 3 weeks away, but I feel real good about our (NDSU/SDSU) chances for a campus visit.

Im very curious to see if we will be asked to pay an entrace fee if invited and/or make other concessions to acomodate travel concerns by some of the members. Some of these opening BSC games on the road might be the front ends of a 2 away 1 home for NDSU with the second road game being the first conference game.

The more I think about the football only membership possibilities combined with a 2 division BSC the more I like it.

JBB
11-27-2004, 03:20 PM
http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041124/SPORTS/111240051

Article about UNCs application to the BSC.

I hope that link works. I picked it up on the SDSU football board. UNC is excited about the BSC possibility. I wonder if they changed their minds or if they always had their eye on the Big Sky? They say the BSC is a perfect fit for them.

scottheck
11-27-2004, 03:37 PM
I hope that link works. *I picked it up on the SDSU football board. *UNC is excited about the BSC possibility. *I wonder if they changed their minds or if they always had their eye on the Big Sky? *They say the BSC is a perfect fit for them.

Link works fine.

Bisonfan01234
11-27-2004, 05:41 PM
I think they originally were looking more at the Mid Con to go with the Great West.

Something about some sport called baseball. Aparantly, baseball loses money every year for every school that isn't in the Big West, Pac 10, SEC, or ACC.

Anyway, they've come to their senses and realized that if they're ever going to make any money it's going to have to come from football and maybe someday they'll upgrade basketball.

mikelsch
11-29-2004, 09:14 PM
14 days and counting...

If the Big Sky decides to expand (and every indication says they will), here are the questions:

1. Besides NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and S. Utah, who else has applied?
Complete list should be revealed on Dec. 13.

2. What schools will have on-site visits?
Should know on Dec. 13.

3. How many will be admitted?
I would be surprised to see this answered on Dec. 13. Will probably wait until the complete evaluations are completed.

4. Admittance requires 6 of 8 presidents to say yes. What schools will say yes to NDSU? What schools will say no? Similar questions for SDSU, UNC, S. Utah.

My guesses (pure speculation) for NDSU:

Montana -- Yes; somewhat close in proximity
Montana St -- Yes; close in proximity; Chapman ties
E Wash -- Yes
Weber St -- Yes
Idaho St -- Undecided
N Arizona -- Undecided
Sacramento St -- No; distance perception; Wanless might be a supporter to indirectly get back at UND
Portland St -- No; distance perception

Overall
UNC -- in comfortably
NDSU/SDSU -- in, especially after they meet Pres Chapman
S. Utah -- could go either way. If the Big Sky Presidents really want 12 to split into 2 divisions...they are in. I remember Doug Fullerton being opposed to 12, and saying they will likely expand by 1-3 schools. This would hold the door open for 1 school, and still be safe if a school(s) exited the conference.

Bisonfan01234
11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
They may decide to go with NDSU/SDSU and have UNC be football affiliates.

I think Portland and Sac. are the only ones who are guaranteed to say no. They simply don't have any money to be flying out to Fargo and Brookings.

The rest I think will say yes. NAU and East Wash. might be the only ones with doubt.

JACKGUYII
11-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I agree with most of your analysis. I'm not so sure UNC is such a lock. They certainly have geography in their favor. Is that by itself enough? They are really struggling with attendence at their events and always have. I think it has to be really difficult to market their program when you have so many other DI programs in the state and professional sports to compete with. I'm not sure where they are at with Title IX compliance. Is UNC ready to raise the scholarships at a more rapid pace if they have the opportunity to gain acceptance to a conference?

Bisonfan01234
11-30-2004, 01:48 AM
If they truly are trying to get an odd number in their football conference, then UNC would be a good addition.

mikelsch
12-02-2004, 03:57 PM
The list of potential new members has, more than likely, jumped to 5 with UND. If they are going to move up, now is the time, and they now realize it. The plot has just thickened. I can't wait for Dec. 13.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 04:42 PM
2006 Big Sky Conference:

East:

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
North Colorado

West:
Idaho State
Weber State
East Washington
Portland State
Sacromento State
North Arizona

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

BisonCountry
12-02-2004, 04:48 PM
2006 Big Sky Conference:

East:

Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
North Colorado

West:
Idaho State
Weber State
East Washington
Portland State
Sacromento State
North Arizona

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I'm not sure if Montana and Montana St. would like to play all the "Rookies" as it could hurt their Playoff Chances. After 2008 it would be a good alignment.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Who says they can't schedule the West schools?

All it means is that you get 5 games a year guaranteed with your division and probable 3 with the other division. That leaves 4 NC games assuming the NCAA passes the 12 game/season rule.

BisonCountry
12-02-2004, 05:27 PM

All it means is that you get 5 games a year guaranteed with your division and probable 3 with the other division. That leaves 4 NC games assuming the NCAA passes the 12 game/season rule.

I understand that but I don't know that they would want 5 games against the non-playoff elgible teams. *Many people felt the reason the comittee left Cal-Poly out of the Playoff's this year was their 4 games vs. Non-Playoff elgible teams. *After 2008 it wouldnt be as big of an issue since 4 of the 5 would be playoff elgible.

Although we are talking about the Montana schools so they might get in on tradition alone....(assuming they win 4 of the 5 games).

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Both Montana and Montana State are eligible.

UNC becomes eligible the 2007 season, NDSU, SDSU 2008, UND 2009 if they go before whenever.

In 2006, only 4 of the 5 games would be against non playoff eligible. Not 5.

In 2008, 1 out of 5 would be against non playoff eligible.

NDSU_grad
12-02-2004, 05:38 PM
As of yesterday, und is now two years behind the SU's. The deadline for filing with the NCAA is December 1, and as far as anybody knows the und did not send anything in.

89rabbit
12-02-2004, 05:40 PM
UND won't be playoff eligible until 2010 at the soonest. They would have the D-II exploritory year (like we had in 2003) and then they would be where we were this season.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 05:49 PM
So their exploring year would be 2005 and transitional years 06,07,08, and 09?

IowaBison
12-02-2004, 05:52 PM
As of yesterday, und is now two years behind the SU's. *The deadline for filing with the NCAA is December 1, and as far as anybody knows the und did not send anything in.

well somebody needs to get on the horn with the NCAA and see if those sneaky bastards from up north filed the paperwork

89rabbit
12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
So their exploring year would be 2005 and transitional years 06,07,08, and 09?

Correct, playoff eligible in 2010.

If you recall, SDSU and NDSU's exp. year was 2003. *We will be playoff eligible in 2008 *(D-II Exp. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, *playoff eligible 2008 ). *If UND went now they would be playoff eligible in 2010 (D-II Exp. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, *playoff eligible 2010).

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
well somebody needs to get on the horn with the NCAA and see if those sneaky bastards from up north filed the paperwork

Is it even possible that they could've filed and the Forum/Herald wouldn't have found out? I doubt it.

NDSU_grad
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Is it even possible that they could've filed and the Forum/Herald wouldn't have found out? I doubt it.

Well, the Herald would probably do a story on it sometime in July, but I do think the Forum would have uncovered something.

mikelsch
12-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I agree with Bison 01234's Big Sky reallignment plan. This plan would soften the blow of perceived increased travel and geographical concerns, especially if Montana and Montana St support it.

Never mind the transitional schools, this will end up as the premiere I-AA football conference, and a pretty decent mid-major conference in other sports.

Scheduling would be similar to other 12-team conferences: Big 12, ACC (next season), SEC.

Football: 5 divison games and 3/4 cross-over games, with 3/4 out-of-conference games per year. Other sports would follow some type of similar format.

East:
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado

West:
Idaho State
Weber State
East Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona

I hate the Sioux as much as the next Bison, but it is time for the entire state of North Dakota (NDSU and UND together) to show it can be a significant player in DI collegiate athletics.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Yes.

I think the SEC and BigXII have shown the rest of the NCAA that a 2 division 12 member conference is the best solution to date.

Personally I would recommend that it be a 5 division games/3 crossover games/4 OOC games.

That way, you get an even number of conference home/away games and 4 OOC games which allows for nice flexabilty and keeping rivalry games with NC teams (NDSU/Cal Davis for example).

Bisonguy
12-02-2004, 09:48 PM

The current form of the proposed 12 game season legislation only includes I-A, not I-AA.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Ok, 5/3/3, then.

Bisonguy
12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Ok, 5/3/3, then.

Even better for cost reductions.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Unless that 4th OOC game would be a home game.

gfbisonfan
12-03-2004, 02:30 AM
East: *
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado

West:
Idaho State
Weber State
East Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Northern Arizona

The East would be tough.

DIBISON
12-03-2004, 02:48 AM
Actually as of yesterday, UNDII is 3 years behing NDSU/SDSU and they would not be playoff eligible until 2011.

The deadline for notification to the NCAA to change divisions is December 1. The exploratory year begins the FOLLOWING school year.

Assuming the UNDII did not notify the NCAA by December 1st, the next deadline is 12/01/05. Their exploratory year would then begin the fall of 2006. Their transition years would be 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010.

UNDII would not be DI playoff elgible until 2011.

NDSU & SDSU will be "entrentched" big-time by then and exposed to DI tournaments and UNDII will still be trying to catch-up!

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Pretty sure you're wrong DIBison.

I think it goes by calender years, not school years.

Otherwise, why have it be Dec 1st? Why not by Aug 1st?

BisonMav
12-03-2004, 03:22 AM
The NCC also has an 18 month notification rule to leave the conference, with a buyout option. Check made payable to NCC commish Roger Thomas. ;D

Bisonguy
12-03-2004, 03:33 AM
DIBISON,

You're off by one year. If UND had petitioned for a change to DI membership by Dec. 1st, this year (2004-2005) could have been the "exploratory year".

Remember, NDSU waited a "self-imposed" extra year before the exploratory year to try to get other NCC members to move up, as well as give student-athletes an extra year to transfer if they didn't want to go along with the move. UNC actually declared their intention to move to DI after NDSU, but filed the petition immediately that year, and now are one year ahead of NDSU in the transition.

Edit- so, the moral of the story is that UND is, at minimum, two years behind NDSU in the transition.

JackJD
12-03-2004, 04:38 AM
I've been reading the posts on this thread with interest. But, I'm wondering why 89Rabbit is getting his mail delivered to the west parking lot....89: you didn't move to Fargo, did you?

DIBISON
12-07-2004, 11:26 PM
For those that read the article in The Forum today about UNDII, it stated that there were 5 DII schools that submitted the reclassification papers to the NCAA by December 1. These schools may begin their exploratory year beginning 9/05. UNDII was not one of the schools.

This information is similar to my previous post that stated the earliest UNDII may begin the DI transition is 2006 and they will not be playoff elgible until 2011. The NCAA December 1 notification date for reclassification is effective for the following school year.

Because NDSU/SDSU become playoff eligible in 2008 there will be at least a 3 year difference between these schools and UNDII. This will be huge!

Bisonfan01234
12-07-2004, 11:44 PM
This information is similar to my previous post that stated the earliest UNDII may begin the DI transition is 2006 and they will not be playoff elgible until 2011. The NCAA December 1 notification date for reclassification is effective for the following school year.

The only thing they did actually say is 2006.

However, that means they'd eligible 2010, not 2011.

tony
12-08-2004, 12:01 AM
I think those five schools declared that 2004-05 was going to be their exploratory year. SDSU didn't decide to go DI until August last year and they still managed to declare 2003-04 their exploratory year.

jackmd
12-08-2004, 12:55 AM
From 89rabbit over on our site, anyone else hear this today or some other time? Can anyone substantiate?

Mic Holean (sp) the radio voice of the University of Montana Grizzlies was just on KWSN and said (I paraphrase) that the Big Sky will expand to 12 teams (two Div.) in the next 2 to 3 years, and that SDSU, NDSU, and UNC are in!

Bisonguy
12-08-2004, 12:56 AM
I think those five schools declared that 2004-05 was going to be their exploratory year. SDSU didn't decide to go DI until August last year and they still managed to declare 2003-04 their exploratory year.

Tony, I saw an article somewhere today that two of the schools would wait until 2005-2006 for their exploratory year.

DIBISON,

This is from page 363 of the handy-dandy 2004-2005 NCAA Division I Manual - (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf)

20.5.2.1 Deadline for Submission of Petition. When petitioning for change of division membership, a member shall notify the Division I Management Council Membership Subcommittee on an application approved by the subcommittee. The application shall be received in the national office (by mail or wired transmission) not later than December 1 during the academic year that the institution begins its one-year exploratory period in the reclassification process. Any application received after that date shall be postmarked not later than November 25. A fee of $15,000 shall accompany the application. If the applicant fails to qualify for active membership, the application fee shall be refunded, less any expenditure for educational costs related to the membership process. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03, 3/10/04)

2005 could be the earliest that UND could petition to move to DI, and therefore, 2005-2006 would be their exploratory year. Had UND sent the petition in about a week ago, they would only be one year behind NDSU. Remember, NDSU and UNC sent their petions in at about the same time (actually NDSU sent their's in first), but NDSU chose to wait an extra year to give student-athletes a chance to transfer if they did not want to go along with the DI move and to try to get other NCC schools to move up (i.e. SDSU, aka travel partner)

Bisonfan01234
12-08-2004, 01:01 AM
From 89rabbit over on our site, anyone else hear this today or some other time? Can anyone substantiate?

Mic Holean (sp) the radio voice of the University of Montana Grizzlies was just on KWSN and said (I paraphrase) that the Big Sky will expand to 12 teams (two Div.) in the next 2 to 3 years, and that SDSU, NDSU, and UNC are in!

Based on the Sky's goals vs. their options, it would seem that those 3 could almost be guaranteed to be in.

Now the race is on to see if SUU or UND will be the 12th member.

tony
12-08-2004, 01:17 AM
His name is Mick Holien. He might be saying the Big Sky is going to 12 teams in the same way I said Northern Colorado was going to win the Great West this year.

Must be from living among fatalistic people, but I never count my chickens until the eggs are hatched, the chicks grow up, they are served for dinner, and I finish eating them.

jackmd
12-08-2004, 01:48 AM
His name is Mick Holien. He might be saying the Big Sky is going to 12 teams in the same way I said Northern Colorado was going to win the Great West this year.

Must be from living among fatalistic people, but I never count my chickens until the eggs are hatched, the chicks grow up, they are served for dinner, and I finish eating them.

I favor this approach. Call me whatever you wish but I like the contract signed, stamped and approved by all involved.

DIBISON
12-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Thanks Bisonguy, I stand corrected!

Bisonguy
12-08-2004, 04:32 AM

Finally found it in the most unlikely of places ::) ::):
http://in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77371&section=Sports

Five schools said "yes" by the NCAA's Dec. 1 reclassification deadline to move to Division I: the University of North Florida, Kennesaw State (Ga.), Central Arkansas, New Jersey Institute of Technology and Winston-Salem State (N.C.), said Steve Mallonee, NCAA managing director of Division I. Central Arkansas and Winston-Salem will begin their exploratory years next year.

BisonMav
12-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Today's Herald on the Big Sky
Kevin Fee (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10372852.htm)

filbert
12-10-2004, 12:24 AM
That's South Dakota STATE, Kevin . . .