PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, UND is really at it.

TheBisonator
12-02-2004, 06:32 AM
UND mulls Division I move
Jeff Kolpack,The Forum
Published Thursday, December 02, 2004

© Copyright 2004

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- The University of North Dakota has formed a committee to gather information on expanding its NCAA Division I athletics and is leaving open the potential for discussions with the Big Sky Conference.

edited by admin: it's illegal to post an entire story so I had to edit this down.

More at: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index3.cfm?id=76914§ion=news

whatever_
12-02-2004, 07:53 AM
I know....GOD I LOVE IT.

GFBisonFan
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
If they move, it will be very fun to watch the UND fans skirt around with all kinds of excuses. All they did was berate NDSU for the move-how dumb it was and how we would fail- and now they may go. Although i cannot say that I am surprised at all.

This is going to be very entertaining, just the fact that they are "exploring it."

I thought the comments about the reasons they are looking were interesting
1. Reduction of scholarships in DII
2. Possible conference affiliation

#1 is one of the reasons that NDSU moved up and all we heard was how stupid it was and #2 is just jealousy coming through. We will be making a name for ourselves in D I-AA with big sky affiliation and they would be stuck in DII. The fans would no longer be able to say "yeah, but you will fail without conference affiliation" and that is tearing them up.

Let the fun begin.

gfbisonfan
12-02-2004, 12:30 PM
UND is just taking more time and making sure everything is set-up before making the move to DI. They already have excellent facilities so that isn't an issue. There's no reason to move just for the sake of moving.

dakotadan
12-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I am a huge sioux fan yet have always wished the bison well in their transition to DI. I know that the better that the bison do in DI the more likely UND is to realize that it is possible. I have said all along that I would like UND to move up and have made no excuses why NDSU would fail (except for a few jabs all in fun). It will definately be interesting to see how things all play out in the next couple of months.

Bison_Dan
12-02-2004, 01:37 PM
That's all fine and dandy dakotadan, but rt, glas & fans have 2 years of quotes about what a dumb ass move NDSU did by moving to DI. *I don't think anyone will let them off the hook without eating alot of crow. *Makes a guy wonder why are they looking at it now? *I think that there is more than BSC wanting to add members. *The BSC was talking of that when NDSU decided to move. *

Here is my thinking on why now.

1. *The success of SDSU & NDSU in their first year so far of DI.
2. *Recruiting. *The Bison are cherry picking all the ND & MN kids
3. *Exposure. *Look at the DII playoffs, only wdaz covered it in state.
4. *Jealousy

Reasons why they won't:

1. *Besides womens BB and fb there other sports suck in DII.
2. *Money *- womens hockey is killing them.
3. *All the crow they'll have to eat.
4. *No balls!

They might just be doing this to pacify the fans that want to move up.

;D ;D ;D

IowaBison
12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
heavenly Christ

silkamilkamonico
12-02-2004, 02:03 PM
2. *Possible conference affiliation

Let the fun begin.

The only reason I have heard that they have said they are moving to D1 is because of the Big Sky conference. So what happens if they don't get in the Big Sky conference? Do they just go back to D2 then?

IowaBison
12-02-2004, 02:06 PM
and there in lies the rub.

i don't think that the big sky can take anything said by UND too seriously. they have made zero commitment to moving, while spending a great deal of time the last few years explaining why it would be extremely detrimental for a university like it to move.

the big sky might be impressed by the ralph, but beauty is only skin (or brick) deep, there are some really ugly realities that UND has too face before it moves.

Jackrabbit
12-02-2004, 02:45 PM
UND is filled with snakes. For the last two years I listened to what was coming out of Grand Forks and wondered if they were telling truth. They weren't.

They are a bunch of self-serving liars.

imported_admin
12-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Just to remind you, it's a violation of copyright law to post entire stories. It doesn't cost anything to read the story at the Forum site so a link is just as good.

tony
12-02-2004, 03:28 PM
I can't fault UND for looking at DI. Apparently a lot has changed since thse stories were published:

FOR THE RECORD: Costs outweigh D-I benefits By Charles E. Kupchella (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/news/opinion/2753505.htm)
RYAN BAKKEN COLUMN: Bisons' D-I move doesn't make sense (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/3349439.htm)
Grand Forks Herald Editorial: Division I? Say no! (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/4013676.htm)
Grand Forks Herald Editorial: Sucker's Game (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/news/opinion/4827426.htm)

Roger Thomas in a summer interview with Patrick Reusse:

Quote: We looked at it. Beyond what we already have in hockey, Division I made no sense for us. The other hockey-playing schools in our conference seemed to agree.

Quote:We're a seven-team league for the foreseeable future. We'll see how the transition period goes for NDSU. Maybe we'll see that Division I in all sports would make sense for us, too, although I doubt it.

Roger Thomas also was quoted in a snarky Star Tribune on Nov. 29th.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
They sure picked a hell of a time to "consider it".

Only 11 days left.

Would the Sky take NDSU, SDSU, UNC, and UND and become a 12 team, two division conference?

I think they might need to get rid of their "required sports" rule to accommodate an expansion like this.

IowaBison
12-02-2004, 04:37 PM
I don't think this is "news", guys. I think Kolpack is trying to sell papers.

NDSUstudent
12-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Those crazy sioux fans, mybe instead of all the exuses and flip flops we are going to hear, they should say thanks for the nice road NDSU paved for them to follow. Working with the NCAA on reducing restrictions on d2 transitional teams and by showing the big sky how good a elite D2 team can be by performing at high level in 1AA.

But all I am hearing is this."The Big Sky is seeking out UND, while NDSU has been begging for admission into the Big Sky. UND is waiting for the right time to move. Now they have a major conferance seeking them out. I would say the time is about right. I have no problems with NDSU going D1, I think it was a good move. However UND is going about it in a better way. Instead of being in flux for several years they will enter D1 in a major conferance. "(sioux fan in-forum chat) and this, "The University of North Dakota HAS NEVER "put down NDSU's decision to move to DI". NEVER. Where are you getting your information? Some UND fans have done that. But never the University. UND's steadfast stance has been to keep all options open, and to wish NDSU well in their effort. You seem to forget that UND already has Division I athletics. Keeping this in mind, UND is very attractive to The Big Sky due to the relative ease during the transition stage. That is why the Big Sky contacted UND, not the other way around."(UND fan)

And these are just a select few quotes from the chat, it would take all day to include all of them.

airmail
12-02-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't think this is "news", guys. *I think Kolpack is trying to sell papers.

...as well as rile up the Bison faithful, as it seems he has done here.

KTF
12-02-2004, 05:07 PM
NDSUstudent,

I am not following your argument very well. are you saying that UND is doing the right thing by applying or that NDSU was silly for moving? maybe you can break down your paragraph so that you can get your point across better to me.

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Those were all quotes from UND fans that he was chatting with.

KTF
12-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks bisonfan01234

what was he doing chatting with UND fans ;)

You have to admit that UND is selecting the right time to look up and see if D-1 is a good fit. NDSU is proven that it can be done however growing pains are going to be experienced for a long time.

I still feel the review is out of the complex UND supporters are having. NDSU is gaining a lot of noterity within the region by mere exposure in all areas (research,etc...) not just athletics.

Can ND support two d-1 teams?

Bisonfan01234
12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
ND? No, of course not.

ND/SD/MN/WI/IA/NE/IL/FL/MS/Canada? Yes.

NDSUstudent
12-02-2004, 06:32 PM
KTF- I believe UND is doing the right thing by what they are doing but that wasn't the point of my post. And I was just trying to show some of the midguided opinions some sioux fans have about NDSU and the move into the Big Sky conference. If you want see more outragous UND fan opinions here is the link to the chat.

http://www.in-forum.com/talk/index.cfm?id=1529

IowaBison
12-02-2004, 06:34 PM
i don't think those are even real sports fans

just a couple of bored folks who have been posting on the topic of the day

i have the urge to respond to them, but it would do little good because most don't have a clue

JBB
12-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I wonder why the have not fans from North Dakotas only remaining DII insitution should be mocked and marginalized? *Does anybody know? Does the chat thread give a hint? Does Tonys post give a hint? I would be the last to suggest they deserve contempt through mocking and marginalization. * ::)

Bisonguy
12-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Seems a little odd that UND's IAC site hasn't updated the minutes from the last two meetings (Oct. and Nov.). It might seem a little more odd if they don't update it until after Dec. 13th. ::)

Some tidbits from the 09/21/04 meeting of the UND IAC:
http://www.und.edu/org/iac/IAC09-21-04.htm

Some of the hot spots identified were Division I vs. Division II, the budget and public relations. More information will be available at the next meeting.
Hmmmmmmm..... maybe the info won't be available for a while......

Lillian Elsinga said Tim O’Keefe indicated an unintended consequence of eliminating the NDSU game may be a decrease in revenue.
Oohhhhhh.... more ammo for the "but NDSU forced us to move to DI" crowd ::)

JACKGUYII
12-02-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed here but noticed on the NCC website that old Roger Thomas is a finalist for the vacant NCC Commisioner position. Looks like old Roger may be moving to Sioux Falls soon and UND will be looking for a new AD.

NDSU_grad
12-02-2004, 11:09 PM
That certainly makes things interesting. It's kind of like we have our own reality show ;). I posted it on the siouxsports.com site. It will be interesting to see their reaction to it.

gfbisonfan
12-03-2004, 12:51 AM
1. *Besides womens BB and fb there other sports suck in DII.

I believe their swimming program is one of the best in the nation.

gfbisonfan
12-03-2004, 12:52 AM
i don't think those are even real sports fans

just a couple of bored folks who have been posting on the topic of the day

i have the urge to respond to them, but it would do little good because most don't have a clue

You're right. If you look at all of the topics on the Forum site you'll see that it's the same people posting on all of them.

Bisondad
12-03-2004, 01:32 AM
I doubt two ND schools can financially make it at D-1. Too many sports to fund that do not make money. NDSU was the leader and rightfully so. UND can talk about it, but I beleive they will remain as they are now.

Bisondad

KTF
12-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Bisondad,

I sure hope you are right about UND staying still, sure would make recruiting, etc... easier.

JBB
12-03-2004, 02:27 AM
I think your right too BisonDad.

DIBISON
12-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Leader - Follower

Big Time - Small Time

Ahead of the Game - Backed into a Corner

NDSU - UNDII

Even if UNDII rides the coattails of NDSU into DI and the Big Sky, the fact that the Bison will have at least a 3 year "head start", will make a huge difference in the success of the two athletic programs. There is no doubt NDSU will have the upper hand!

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Do you think Englested's could help them with a move?

They have lots of $$$$.

kchats
12-03-2004, 03:17 AM
The thing that is most upsetting about all the UND posts and Kolpack's article is that the article and therefore the posts imply that NDSU didn't get the same form letter from the Big Sky Conference. UND got the same letter as NDSU, SDSU, UNC and Southern Utah. Have any of you thought about the possibility that maybe NDSU asked the Big Sky Conference to invite UND to join? ;) It would renew the rivalry and by adding them to division I it would give us more teams to play that are nearby. Yes the ignorant UND fans might believe that they are being invited to join because they are a better school but they could have only been invited because NDSU wants them to move up too. 8) NDSU and SDSU both have strong cases for admission to the conference and I expect them both to be admitted. UNC might get in but they struggle with attendance and funding.

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 04:00 AM
If they can get their football stadium to 10k and average 10k, they could be doing decent financially.

JACKGUYII
12-03-2004, 03:47 PM
That's a pretty big if! I really think UNC is going to struggle in the DI ranks athletically and financially.

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Thier football team has always been good.

They averaged almost 5000 a game when their capacity was only 6500. If they bump it up to 10000 I could see them averaging 8000.

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Thier football team has always been good.

They averaged almost 5000 a game when their capacity was only 6500. If they bump it up to 10000 I could see them averaging 8000.

!

met1990
12-03-2004, 05:52 PM
I'd say bump it to about 85 million. That way they'll probably average near 60-63 million per.

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 06:02 PM
of course, attendance is unbounded, why stop at 80 million

hell would attendance even be bounded the world's current population?

maybe Kang and Kodos will catch a game before they take over the world?

met1990
12-03-2004, 06:16 PM
That's a very good point NorthDakotaBison. However, I think we need to take into consideration that a stadium large enough to hold 5 to 6 billion people would need to be engineered to compensate for the curvature of the earth and the resulting effect on sightlines. Perhaps some advancements in Field Turf have taken place that will take care of this. If so, I'm not aware of them.

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
and clearly there would have to be many more Hail Mary passes thrown, so those in the cheap seats, ie rows 523842 to 602934 could see well

i wonder what trajectory would be necessary so that those fans too would be enthralled?

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 06:40 PM
NDSU and UNC both enroll about 2000 freshman a year.

Greeley has a population of around 80k and the county it's in has around 200k.

Fargo has population of around 90k and the county it's in has around 130k.

NDSU averaged 13k fans/game and you're telling me that UNC doesn't have the potential to average 8-10k?

IowaBison
12-03-2004, 06:52 PM
potential, sure

do you want me to save you a marketing book or do you want me to burn them all?

NDSU_grad
12-03-2004, 07:12 PM
NDSU and UNC both enroll about 2000 freshman a year.

Greeley has a population of around 80k and the county it's in has around 200k.

Fargo has population of around 90k and the county it's in has around 130k.

NDSU averaged 13k fans/game and you're telling me that UNC doesn't have the potential to average 8-10k?

Ames has a population of about 50,000. Story County 75,000. So I guess Iowa State's potential is about 3500?

If you want to stick to I-AA I guess Sac State has a potential for about 75,000?

Bisonfan01234
12-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Iowa State has 500k 30 minutes to the south.

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Back to the topic at hand-

Steve Hallstom reported on the WDAY 6:00 sports tonight that he talked to Doug Fullerton, and UND would be of no benefit to NDSU getting invited into Big Sky more than SDSU. He stated that it would be beneficial for NDSU to have a travel partner.(Hmmmm..... it looks like only two of the Dakota schools would be taken. Would it be of any benefit for the Big Sky to take a school that would be postseason eligible two seasons earlier and has already shown a full commitment to DI?)

Steve apparantly talked to some UND admins, and they stated that UND would more than likely tell the Big Sky that they are interested, but will not commit. Fullerton stated that interest is all the Big Sky is looking for at this point. (this action, if taken by UND, seems to all but put the nail in the coffin for the Alerus bidding for the DII NC).

KTF
12-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the update Bisonguy!

Steve is right, how would UND benefit the Big Sky, they are not commiting, just exploring.

I know that it is not neccessary to have a Carr Sports evaluation done but didn't this make or break the deal for NDSU. Woudn't UND benefit from the same type of report?

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 03:19 AM
ROFLMAO about those siouxsports.com nuts that think the Big Sky is recruiting them. ::) Roger Thomas even admitted in an interview that the Big Sky sent out letters to a dozen or so schools other than the schools that have already shown interest in the Big Sky. They must have a heart attack if they receive a letter from Ed McMahon and Publisher's Clearinghouse. ;D ;D

BisonMav
12-04-2004, 03:23 AM
I still think they will hold out for the Big 10.

kchats
12-04-2004, 04:30 AM
Why would the Big Sky invite a team to join the conference that can't declare their intention of moving up to division I? NDSU and SDSU were told we won't consider you if you don't show that you are serious by declaring that you are moving up to division I. We have stepped up to the plate and that is why NDSU and SDSU will be accepted to the Big Sky. I think the football team is interested in making the move to division I-AA for UND but I'm not sure about the rest of their teams.

Bisongold
12-04-2004, 04:36 AM
I believe the Bison are a cinch for the Big Sky. Of the others commonly listed, who is better in all regards?

kchats
12-04-2004, 05:00 AM
SDSU and UNC because they are also both already declared as division I schools. :D

DIBISON
12-04-2004, 05:37 AM
SDSU & UNC better than NDSU in all regards?

Not even close!

BisonMav
12-04-2004, 03:38 PM
My take is the old NCC will form most of the Big Sky West. NDSU, SDSU & UNC. UND might also be included if they move to DI. Does anyone know if USD or UNO received letters from the Big Sky? If any schools were to leave the Big Sky, and the 2 division concept where to survive, more schools would have to be added.

scottheck
12-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Doesn't matter if UNO did. They are prohibited by NE state constitution, 1 DI school in the state.
Similar to ND state constitution dictates which cities have higher ed institutions.

Bisonfan01234
12-04-2004, 04:16 PM
USD would interesting. I think they need facilities upgrades, though.

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 05:27 PM
My take is the old NCC will form most of the Big Sky West. *NDSU, SDSU & UNC. *UND might also be included if they move to DI. * Does anyone know if USD or UNO received letters from the Big Sky? *If any schools were to leave the Big Sky, and the 2 division concept where to survive, more schools would have to be added.

Who would be left to be in the Big Sky East? ;D ;)Teams east of the Mississippi?

Suppposedly, there were about 12 letters sent out to schools that did not show interest in the Big Sky (according to Roger Thomas in his interview on WDAY's Hot Talk)- My guess: UCD, Cal-Poly SLO, UND, USD, UNO, Idaho, maybe some Big West schools,

Tatanka
12-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Doesn't matter if UNO did. *They are prohibited by NE state constitution, 1 DI school in the state.
Similar to ND state constitution dictates which cities have higher ed institutions.
What about Creighton? Or are they exempt because they're not part of the UN system?

Bisonfan01234
12-04-2004, 07:39 PM
They're not only not part of the system, they're independant of the state entirely.

IowaBison
12-04-2004, 07:43 PM
and completely happy with the Missouri Valley Conference

Bisonguy
12-07-2004, 12:29 AM
From Steve Hallstom on WDAY 6:00 sports:

According to Roger Thomas, UND sent a letter to the Big Sky expressing interest in membership, IF they decide to move to DI. The questionaire was not filled out. Doug Fullerton stated that expressing interest is all that is needed at this point, however, UND MUST display an interest in moving to DI.

As the world turns......

Bisonfan01234
12-07-2004, 01:02 AM
*looking into the crystal ball*

- D2 goes to 24 eqs.

- UND declars moving up.

- UND, NDSU, SDSU, and UNC are all selected for membership in the BSC starting 2006.

- NDSU wins the first 5 nickels.

DIBISON
12-07-2004, 03:29 AM
UNDII was backed into a corner on the Bik Sky expansion issue. What else are they going to do, they had to at least submit a letter of interest, so the Bik Sky door isn't closed forever to them.

I wait with interest to see if the Big Sky votes to expand and if so, what universities they will visit. I would think that they would only "court" current DI schools, so that may eliminate UNDII for this expansion process.

Bisonguy
12-07-2004, 03:36 AM
According to the FOX sports at 9:00, Roger Thomas had the Alerus Center retract the bid for the DII football championship that they had sent in on friday.

Intriguing....

Bisonfan01234
12-07-2004, 03:44 AM
Maybe he's trying to bribe DII into not decreasing.

Bisonguy
12-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Maybe he's trying to bribe DII into not decreasing.

Ooooohhhhh.....

The suspense of the results of Roger's interview on Dec. 16th.....

Someone should really try to cash in on the TV rights of this story. ;D

Bison_Dan
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
According to the FOX sports at 9:00, Roger Thomas had the Alerus Center retract the bid for the DII football championship that they had sent in on friday.

Intriguing....

Isn't it up to the Alerus Center if it wants the bid or not and what does it have to do with und? The teams wouldn't have to set foot on the campus. I would think that the town of gf would have the say.

Bisonfan1
12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
I was wondering that myself Bison_Dan, and I am not sure on this, but even though that the field is not on campus, would'nt it have to be considered a DII field to bid the DII championship game? Makes me wonder if the thought process up north is getting more and more serious about the DI-AA move next season.

NDSU_grad
12-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Forum story (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77371&section=sports)

The most interesting part:

"If UND notifies the NCAA of an intent to move up by next Dec. 1, it would begin its exploratory year -- the school would remain in Division II but test the Division I waters in other areas like academic progress -- in the 2006-07 year."

I wonder if the Forum got that directly from Thomas, or if was conjecture on the writers' part that und couldn't move up until the year after submitting their intent to the NCAA (in which case they would be wrong).
I just couldn't see und waiting an additional year if the Big Sky is truly interested.

89rabbit
12-07-2004, 05:56 PM
This quote says it all:

http://in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77371&section=Sports

UND expresses interest in Big Sky
By Heath Hotzler and Jeff Kolpack,The Forum

"There is no commitment in any way, shape or form," Thomas said. "They asked if we would be interested if they were ever thinking of expansion and if, after studying this, there was any movement on UND's part.

"We said 'yes, of course,' in that sense." . . .

That is what the Big Sky Presidents are looking for, an absolute positive maybe. ::)

Bisonguy
12-07-2004, 05:58 PM
The NCC has an 18-month notification rule, that was created after NDSU and SDSU left. There is a buyout clause ($25K?), but Kupchella stated somewhere else that they would honor the schedules for the next two years.

IMO- UND should appear to be a little more accomodating if the Big Sky is considering them. The Big Sky was already burned once with a DII school that was accepted for membership, conference schedules were all made up, and then they backed out and stayed DII. I'm sure they might be a little gunshy about that happening again.

Bison7925
12-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Isn't it up to the Alerus Center if it wants the bid or not and what does it have to do with und? *The teams wouldn't have to set foot on the campus. *I would think that the town of gf would have the say.

Is UND going to make up the deficits the barn suffers. How can they be calling the shots for a building owned by the City of Grand Forks ???
Aren't they a tenant ???

IowaBison
12-07-2004, 07:06 PM
there has to be a host institution, though maybe Crookston could sponsor it, tehehe

Bisonfan01234
12-07-2004, 08:25 PM
The NCC has an 18-month notification rule, that was created after NDSU and SDSU left. There is a buyout clause ($25K?), but Kupchella stated somewhere else that they would honor the schedules for the next two years.

IMO- UND should appear to be a little more accomodating if the Big Sky is considering them. The Big Sky was already burned once with a DII school that was accepted for membership, conference schedules were all made up, and then they backed out and stayed DII. I'm sure they might be a little gunshy about that happening again.

What school was that?

Bisonguy
12-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Bisonfan01234,

I can't remember exactly who, but the Griz fans were discussing it when there was first talk of NDSU attempting to get into the Big Sky. I want to say it was one of the Washington or Oregon DII schools. ???

IowaBison
12-07-2004, 08:41 PM
I remember the discussion, but I too can't remember the team.

Bisonfan01234
12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Probably West Wash. since the Big Sky was practically orgasmic about regional schools in large markets.

roadwarrior
12-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Wasnt it Cal-Northridge?

Bisonguy
12-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Wasnt it Cal-Northridge?

I'm pretty sure that Northridge moved from the Big Sky to the Big West around 2000.

The team I'm forgetting the name about was somewhere around 1990 when they backed away from the Big Sky.
Maybe it was Northridge, but it seems odd that the Big Sky would have accepted them after they didn't move to DI. ???

NDSUstudent
12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Cal-northridge left the big sky a few years ago so it wasn't them.

Bisonguy
12-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Guess this is the general UND I-AA thread.

I was listening to KFGO Sports night this evening (Prime Time Sports has a boring hockey show on Thursdays) and they replayed some interesting quotes from UND's BB coaches show from this week.

Rich Glas seems to be in favor of the move to DI, preferring to play teams such as NDSU, SDSU, Montana, versus Crookston, Moorhead State, U Mary, etc. (his words) He also stated that he has lost recruits in previous years because they wanted to play DI ball (the highest level- my words ;D), even if it was a sub-par school, such as Wisconsin-Green Bay, etc. He then proceeded to state that he has lost recruits to NDSU this year, because of the DI label.

Next up, Gene Roebuck. The hosts (Swigman and Hennesy?) asked Gene if the next headline about Gene would read, "DI, or I'm gone!" jokingly. Gene quickly sniped back, "More like, DI, and I'm gone!". He then proceeded to not talk about DI for the rest of the show. :o

Huge contrast in opinions.

Guess we know who the 'other' coach in favor of DI is besides Lennon. Also, from a Sioux fan on another board, it sounds like Lennon has expressed that if anything would make him consider looking for another coaching position, recruiting against a DI-AA school while UND is still DII would be a major factor(not that this hasn't been speculated, but now it's confirmed)

JBB
12-10-2004, 05:24 PM
I really dont understand that thinking. If they are DII they have to expect to get DII athletes. Losing athletes of DI caliber to NDSU or SDSU, which are division I is like losing them to Minnesota or Wisconsin Green Bay in previous years. In those earlier yrs that didnt seem to be a concern of theirs. I wonder what changed?

Bisonguy
12-10-2004, 06:07 PM
I really dont understand that thinking. *If they are DII they have to expect to get DII athletes. *Losing athletes of DI caliber to NDSU or SDSU, which are division I is like losing them to Minnesota or Wisconsin Green Bay in previous years. *In those earlier yrs that didnt seem to be a concern of theirs. *I wonder what changed?
spite

Bison_Dan
12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
I really dont understand that thinking. *If they are DII they have to expect to get DII athletes. *Losing athletes of DI caliber to NDSU or SDSU, which are division I is like losing them to Minnesota or Wisconsin Green Bay in previous years. *In those earlier yrs that didnt seem to be a concern of theirs. *I wonder what changed?

If they lose the EGF & GF kids to us it will drive them crazy. ;D ;D ;D

JBB
12-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Im sure it will! ;)

Presumably though, those kids would be leaving anyway for another DI school someplace else if NDSU and SDSU werent DI. Unless we can assume all of their recruits are and have been DI caliber and they were snagging them away from more distant DI schools the conclusion of spite seems legit.

Of course, I remember hearing that the local/regional kids weren't good enough and would lose the opportunity for athletic scholarships because NDSU and SDSU were moving to DI! Now the local kids are going to the regional DI universities and robbing their programs of deserved talent? :P

NDSU_grad
12-10-2004, 08:42 PM
I don't know JBB, they may be right. *Just look at some of our recent signees: *Ulen, MN--a good 30 minute drive from Fargo; *Moorhead, MN--depending on traffic could be 30 minutes from campus. *And then there's the SD kids; using the patented "Terry Wanless Air Travel Time Estimator" it could take anywhere from 2-3 hours to reach those kids' homes from Fargo. ;)

Bisonguy
12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Good article of note about the DI finances from the GF Herald, of all places.Mostlly focused on NDSU, but there's some interesting things about UND in there.

COLLEGE ATHLETICS: The dollars behind Division I NDSU's first-year D-I finances show school needs big off-campus commitment (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10397726.htm)

Of Special Note:

Kupchella said one option is granting tuition waivers, something that is done with UND's nine women's hockey scholarships.

"The reasoning for women's hockey is that those players wouldn't be here at all if not for hockey," he said. "So, we're not losing any money in tuition, and we can filter them into classes without much of an increase in costs

UND is already using tuition waivers while they are DII, which isn't exactly a good thing.

The more information that actually is released, the more it seems that UND should stay in DII.

NDSU_grad
12-12-2004, 05:01 PM
That quote of Kupchella's is ridiculous. You could say the same for any athlete.

Bisonguy
12-12-2004, 05:26 PM
That quote of Kupchella's is ridiculous. *You could say the same for any athlete.

Exactly. So what's stopping UND from granting the extra 50 or so grants needed to move to DI as tuition waivers? A recipe for disaster, indeed. Guess that was a decent way of preventing ~90k of additional red ink from the athletic department to show up.

Bisongold
12-12-2004, 06:05 PM
I doubt that these "waivers" were common knowledge at UND until now. I certainly had never heard of them. I don't see this sitting well with non-sports enthusiasts and certainly doesn't bode well for their athletic budget for any D-1 move. Will only PO alot more people.

dakotadan
12-12-2004, 11:04 PM
UND is currently at 9 schollies this year for women's hockey, adding 3 every year until they reach 18. From what I have heard, UND is currently working on an endowment that will specifically cover the cost of the 18 women's hockey scholarships. I have no idea how far along the endowment is or even if this is actually what is happening. It is just what I have heard from other people.

dakotadan
12-12-2004, 11:38 PM
If this is the case, it would probably take a while to increase the endowment enough to pay for the scholarships. I am sure that is why UND started at 3 and is only adding 3 a year, otherwise they could have just started out at all 18. Until the endowment is complete, I guess the schollies need to be covered somehow.