PDA

View Full Version : UND Pres. View on DI

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Gotta love public records......

From:http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77050&section=Sports

Read the whole story (letter). It's from the president of UND to the lettermen of UND's football team (obviously they want to move to DI, because their coach has been promising them they would for the last two years):

Here's my favorite part:

One of the things to be considered here is, in fact, the pride and emotion many of you expressed in your notes. I want you to know that I hate the idea that NDSU even appears to be making a move ahead of us in any way whatsoever, perhaps as much as you do - even for a little while. I, too, miss playing NDSU - especially when we win. Pride and emotion are powerful enough sometimes even to overwhelm logic and other considerations. I recognize that we may have to make this move even though, ultimately it may make no otherwise logical or financial sense to do so ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Man, what little respect I had for Kupchella has been flushed down the toilet, on it's way to Grand Forks. ::) Charles is really starting to paint a self-portrait via the media, and it ain't pretty.

If UND is going to move up to DI, do it for the right reasons, not because of jealously and spite. ::)

DIBISON
12-04-2004, 06:34 AM
That comment about NDSU will not sit well with alot of folks and could further dampen their DI hopes!

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 06:41 AM
Man, I love the journalistic integrity of The Forum! They have the balls to stand up and tell the truth, instead of being a propaganga spreading mouthpiece.

I don't always agree with their tactics ( I think they dug in the garbage for a lunch receipt during the NDSU FB coach search ???)- but at least the get the real story out.

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 06:46 AM
A recap and analysis of Kupchella's letter-Kupchella weighs D-I move
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77157&section=news)

And of course, there's always the little chat forum to discuss it with all the UND fans.

BISON_PRIDE
12-04-2004, 09:41 AM
So UND and it's alumni can't come up with enough money for a move to DI huh? Let's see, how did Dale Lennons witty comment go, "If you want to run the farm..." help me out here.

scottheck
12-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't even know where to begin on this. *NDSU and Chapman have kept no secrets about funding. *Our move had been discussed by the SBHE and the state legislature.

There are numerous facts about the institutions that Kup... is glossing over or leaving out that he has to know.

The "means" issue has many dimensions and begins with the basic fact that UND is underfunded. We have about 67% of the dollars (derived from state appropriation and tuition) per student as do a set of 9 benchmark schools (These were identified by the State Board of Higher Education). On the basis of state appropriated dollars per student we receive only about 56% of the appropriation received by our benchmark schools. We are by any measure underfunded to carry out our entire mission and by a large margin. This bears on a question posed here later about campus support and the need to raise money.

Part of Chapman's goals with the state legislature this year to get NDSU up to the same 56% UND is at. *NDSU is currently at 48%. *That extra 8% means about $8M. *

The Development Foundation will be going public with a $70M campaign shortly. *However, it's not been a secret, everyone knows it's going on. *We cannot use state funding for any of the following. *So, we have to raise it ourselves for a new Business building, scholarships(academic, too), endowed professorships and chairs, etc. *I don't have the details here at home but very little goes to further support the athletic move.

What seems to be evident in all of the publicity surrounding this move for UND is they do not have a mission and goals for the whole institution.

This move for NDSU was about pushing each department to make the next step. *Admissions: get to 12,000- made it a year early. *Research: $100M in revenue- 2 years early, I believe. *Education: more doctoral programs- 17 in the last 2 year, more grad students, and getting professor salaries up to the competition. * Athletics: DI.

All of these cost $. *It is not coming from the state. *In some cases, students voted to pay for improvements themselves(expanding the Wellness Center). *In most cases, the excitement at NDSU is so palpable, the Alumni are stepping up to the plate.

It's obvious Kup... and their foundation haven't found the support among the alumni nor have they constructed a well thoughtout plan for the future of the institution.

One other issue, that lack of vision and lack of working with the SBHE seems to be evident in the UND-Fargo fiasco.

JBB
12-04-2004, 03:07 PM
The fact that Kup headed out to the south of france - Im sure he is not seeking advice from the coneheads ;) - doesnt surprise me.

Its the idea that they are trying to make this decision with no background except the NDSU study and experience by Dec 13! *This is certainly disturbing.

Its also disturbing that they dont understand what happened at NDSU. *Moving athletics up was a symptom of whats happening to NDSU and Fargo in general. *Athletics had to move up to join the rest of the University. *

Its clear this relationship isnt understood. Instead its all catch up to NDSU so we can play football again. *Not good. *If they want to play again I think they should follow their own, well thought out free advice to NDSU, stay DII. If its so important to play the BISON they can simply try and schedule us again.

scottheck
12-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Ultimately, that's what I was trying to get at. It looks more like a "trying to keep up with the Jones's" than what's best for them. Particularly when Kup... makes comments like
I want you to know that I hate the idea that NDSU even appears to be making a move ahead of us in any way whatsoever, perhaps as much as you do - even for a little while. Appears???

We spent about a year on our study. It doesn't sound like they've started the background research and to be ready to respond to the BSC by 12/13...?? That would be rushed.

Whatever they decide, best of luck.
I'm moving on with NDSU, no more looking over my shoulder at the past.

tony
12-04-2004, 04:05 PM
I hate the idea that NDSU even appears to be making a move ahead of us in any way whatsoever.

Nice sentiment. Then again, that might as well be the official motto of UND since it is engrained so deeply in their culture.

Bisonfan01234
12-04-2004, 04:28 PM
"For each of the last few years, the national playoff in Division I-AA had about half the ESPN audience of the Division II playoff.

Can this possibly be true?

This year ESPN has shown a 1st round game, will be showing a quarterfinal game today, last year they showed both semifinal games so I'll assume the same, and then, of course, the championship game.

DII and DIII only get their championship games shown.

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Can this possibly be true?

This year ESPN has shown a 1st round game, will be showing *a quarterfinal game today, last year they showed both semifinal games so I'll assume the same, and then, of course, the championship game.

DII and DIII only get their championship games shown.

It's been true since the I-AA game was changed to friday, and the DII game remained on saturday (typically with no other football competition). The games used to go head to head, and the I-AA game had over twice the ratings of the DII game. It's a pretty poor comparison that Kupchella has- much like comparing the ratings of ESPN when they have the only college football game on, to ESPN's ratings when the Super Bowl is on (not of ESPN). Two entirely different time slot, with different competition on.

Now, that I had some time to ponder over this letter and get some sleep- I'm somewhat offended and appalled by Kupchella's use of the term 'hate' when describing his feelings towards NDSU. That's a very strong word, and shows a lack of understanding and objective thought. I would figure somebody with a PhD would be able to dig a little deeper in his vocabulary to find a word that wouldn't be so subject to public scrutiny and outrage.

IowaBison
12-04-2004, 06:41 PM
I think Kupchella will be gone one way or another by the end of UND's fiscal year (which I think is June 30th).

The views expressed in the letter are completely unprofessional. It's one thing to say something behind closed doors, but to put something in print on UND letterhead so that it is available to the public...IDIOTIC!

Bisonguy
12-04-2004, 06:47 PM
UND letterhead -$0.20
Laserjet toner- $0.03
Kupchella's words- $0.02
Public disclosure- Priceless!

IowaBison
12-04-2004, 07:01 PM
UND letterhead -$0.20
Laserjet toner- $0.03
Kupchella's words- $0.02
Public disclosure- Priceless!

post of the year?

scottheck
12-04-2004, 07:13 PM
The views expressed in the letter are completely unprofessional. *It's one thing to say something behind closed doors, but to put something in print on UND letterhead so that it is available to the public...IDIOTIC!

I found it interesting too that he'd make these sentiments publicly known. I've been in several meetings with Chapman where he could have expressed similar sentiments when discussing comparisons on a variety of topics. Yet, he has always addressed what NDSU can do or needs to do to better a particular situation. He may had stronger feelings but has kept them to himself and, I can't imagine him putting them in writing.

Tatanka
12-04-2004, 07:29 PM
It's nice to see clear evidence of facts we already know: The douchebaggery at UND goes all the way to the top and has for quite some time. Props to the Forum for putting ink to it and even bigger props to NDSU's leadership for staying above it.

Compare the following :
this "letter" from Kupchella regarding athletics
the "UND-Fargo center" fiasco
the constant attempts to degrade NDSU for its efforts to move forward

to the following:
President Chapman's recent "state of the univeristy" address
NDSU's obvious success with the research & technology park
NDSU's ballsy decision to move forward with its athletic programs

I think the conclusions are clear, although the normal school faithful might need to have this explained to them.

Also, someone please tell me how UND is "underfunded" when NDSU gets significantly less from the state?? :P

IowaBison
12-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Also, someone please tell me how UND is "underfunded" when NDSU gets significantly less from the state?? * :P

turtlenecks are expensive, duh! :)

Tatanka
12-04-2004, 07:37 PM
My bad entirely. Sometimes the answer is so obvious.

scottheck
12-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Also, someone please tell me how UND is "underfunded" when NDSU gets significantly less from the state?? * :P

The "underfunded" in this case is relative to peer land grant institutions around the country. *He mentions the 9 schools, without naming them, that they used for the comparison. *It's a valid argument. *What he fails to explain to the letter receipients is that, if comparing to NDSU, we get an even smaller piece of the pie than UND does.

Bison7925
12-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Chucky has shown his true colors in the last week ::)

He has a grand opening at UND Fargo twice in the same year in an attempt to stem the tide of growing enrollment at NDSU.

He attempts to hijack $850,000 earmarked for NDSU's telepharmacy program.

He says "I hate the idea that NDSU even appears to be making a move ahead of us in any way whatsoever" is his reason for wanting to go DI.

Answer me this: Would you buy a used car from this man ???

How can he be the president of a public university, with such small minded views ???

JBB
12-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Look who hired him! ;)

bisonranch
12-04-2004, 10:52 PM
As much as UND folks try to make fun of us for having ag stuff at our school (remember they're funded in part by tax dollars gererated from ag industries in an ag state) they really have their foot in their mouth and this time it's a cowboy boot drippin' with fresh buffalo sh!t.

Hope they wise up though, it's bad publicity for the state.

kchats
12-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Here is my post on the talk about this story.

UND's president really doesn't know much does he? He claims in his letter that division I-AA's championship game draws fewer viewers than the division II championship game. Why is that well maybe since that is the only time division II teams are televised. I am currently watching the quarterfinal division I-AA playoff games on ESPN2. All of the division I-AA playoff games have been televised this year. Montana televises all of their games in Montana. Sounds like much more exposure to me. He also takes the low road when he refers to division I-AA not being better competition since NDSU and UNC were ranked in the top 25 in their first seasons. I guess in his eyes UND would have pounded NDSU had UND had the guts to play them this year. UND refused to play NDSU because of a so-called unlevel playing field, you can't have it both ways. Even Mike McFeeley who is very against NDSU's move up to division I-AA and division I in general has stated that the level of competition in division I-AA is much more consistently good. Any team with 63 scholarships is going to provide good competition because they will have more talent than what a division II team with 36 scholarships (soon to be 24) has to offer. Another thing UND's president missed is he said NDSU's volleyball team played all 17 games on the road this year, he was very wrong that was the soccer team. NDSU's soccer team did play all their matches on the road and they had a great season and also have a bright future. NDSU's football coaching staff would not be coaching in Fargo if NDSU were not in division I-AA. Many of our current and future players would not be playing for NDSU if we were not in division I-AA. Coach Bohl is an excellent football coach much too good for coaching in division II. If I am a president for any of the schools in the Big Sky Conference, why would I even consider a school like UND that obviously doesn't want to move up and makes disparaging comments about division I. NDSU and SDSU are well positioned for acceptance into this great division I conference. UND's president is also living in a dream world if he thinks NDSU is trailing UND in anything but enrollment. NDSU is the premiere institution in the state of North Dakota just like Fargo is the premiere city in the state of North Dakota. NDSU doesn't take a back seat to UND in anything. Hail The Bison! :o

TheBisonator
12-05-2004, 12:32 AM
NDSU is the premiere institution in the state of North Dakota just like Fargo is the premiere city in the state of North Dakota. NDSU doesn't take a back seat to UND in anything. Hail The Bison! :o

Rock on, kchats. Rock on.

kchats
12-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Here is a response to me from a UND elitest.

To Jerome: I'll put UND's medical school up against NDSU's any time. And the same goes with the law school, the aviation school, the space studies department etc. You've been hanging around those hog barns too long. The fumes have dimmed your senses.

I responded by telling him I will put any program offered by both schools up against the UND prpgram any day of the week. It is similar to their yeah but we have division I hockey in regards to any athletic discussion. ;D

TheBisonator
12-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Ask the dolt to compare NDSU's engineering, architecture, art, pharmacy, nursing, businisses administration and communications programs against UND's, and see what he says.

Bisonfan01234
12-05-2004, 01:18 AM
businisses administration and communications

You can major in these?!

HAHAHA!

TheBisonator
12-05-2004, 01:20 AM
You can major in these?!

HAHAHA!

Don't you have a book burning to go to??

kchats
12-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Here is my actual reply to Weller's ignorant reply.

Weller, is there any program that both schools have that you can actually claim UND has the better program? Way to name off programs not offered at NDSU. For the record NDSU is much better at division I-AA football and division I basketball both men's and women's than UND. How does UND's Pharmacy Program stack up against NDSU's? I know their Engineering program lags way behind NDSU's. I could name off all the programs NDSU has that UND doesn't offer as well but that wasn't what I was stating. I said if both schools offer it NDSU is better at it.

TheBisonator
12-05-2004, 01:29 AM
I know lots of people don't care about it, but I personally think a good art program is a defining measure of the quality of a university. Not just because I plan on minoring in art. I've been drawing all my life, and it is one of my life's passions next to football and architecture.

Now that NDSU has opened the new downtown campus as a home for the art department and has increased its budget, I think by far NDSU now has the best art program in the state. If I was a rich man, I would donate some money to NDSU to build a big art museum on the grounds of the former art quonset that wouls showcase the work of students and alumni. There's already a smaller museum at the Fine Arts Center, but I'd like to see a bigger museum on campus.

I now await Bisonfan01234's comments on how art is unnecessary in education and is a waste of university dollars and space. ;D ;D ;D

BisBison
12-05-2004, 01:31 AM
Ask the dolt to compare NDSU's engineering, architecture, art, pharmacy, nursing, businisses administration and communications programs against UND's, and see what he says.
Plus where's the sewage band ??? ??? ???

TheBisonator
12-05-2004, 01:32 AM
Plus where's the sewage band ??? ??? ???

Ah, the band. Another no-contest. ;D

Bisonfan01234
12-05-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm sure it looks good in the papers or whatever.

Bisonguy
12-05-2004, 03:28 AM
Whoops!

Forgot to add that the Grand Forks Herald reported thsi story as well (it was up on their website about 3:00 PM today- probably after the finished work and read The Forum ::))

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10340386.htm

My favorite part:

An edited version of the letter:

At least they admitted they hacked it up. :-/ >:(

WYOBISONMAN
12-05-2004, 04:14 AM
My god Kupcake looks like a damn idiot on this !!!! I am laughing so hard it is making tears stream down my face!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dnk
12-05-2004, 06:59 AM
The man needs help, no question about it..

TheBisonator
12-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Straight from the horse's mouth:

"I recognize that we may have to make this move even though, ultimately if may make no otherwise logical or financial sense to do so."

So this IS all about Jealousy and spite. The proof is in the pudding.

BisonInTexas
12-05-2004, 11:57 AM
I have often wondered since NDSU announced it was going to DI why UND wasn't taking the same steps. At first I though it was just fund-raising - UND didn't think they had the base to support DI across all sports. It is clear now that it is something far more fundamental - a lack of leadership.

This just confirms what I and a lot of other people have thought since Kupchella started on his "statewide editorial tour" once NDSU announced it was moving up over two years ago. Kupchella has not changed his views on moving up whatsoever. He is still spouting the same DII is just as good as DI rhetoric and looking at the very near term (i.e. NDSU's "volleyball" (sic) team had to play 17 games on the road this year" (yeah right - if UND goes DI they are going to be on the road for all of eternity)) rather than having a friggin' vision for the university other than "we are underfunded".

I am proud to say that no such letter was required by the Dacotah Club (NDSU's Football Lettermen's Association) to spark the DI discussions at NDSU. The fact that alumni living thousands of miles away have to ask such questions of the sitting president of their alma mater is telling.

If I was a member of the UND Lettermen's Club (and I thank God everyday I am not ;D), my next letter would be a letter to the editor of the Grand Forks Herald calling for Kupchella's resignation.

But since I am not, I can sit back and chuckle at the scrambling that is going on at UND. My favorite quote of the letter:

One of you posed the question, how can NDSU do this and we not? I do not know the answer to this question.

Craig

NDSU_grad
12-05-2004, 06:26 PM
I don't think I've ever been prouder of being an NDSU alum. Oh by the way, I was able to watch all 4 playoff games yesterday. The local cable company in Ames showed the three games that weren't on ESPN on the Mediacom connection channel. Eastern Washington fans still must be crying. That would be a hard loss to take.

Gamehunter
12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
and they were doing so good too. :'(

I was hoping for an all Big Sky semifinals matchup.

"They (NDSU) have added nearly two million to their athletic budget already this first year and they aren't done adding yet. NDSU also added more than 20 expensive doctoral programs over the past few years and they are funded no better than are we. Perhaps they have some financing of which we're not aware -- maybe they've had a successful fund-raising campaign. I simply don't know."

OR, <better idea> maybe our President isn't a narrow minded, self-centered, egotistical doushbag that can actually look outside the box and set goals to acomplish something other than gloating over the acomplishments of the "other" school. It sounds to me as if UND is in a state of panic trying to best SU while comming up empty handed. There should more motivation in a college president than to strictly compete against other colleges.

Bisonguy
12-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Looks like the Herald ran the story in today's issue. A day late, and a dollar short.:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/local/10342716.htm

It does add some new info- looks like UND has a midsummer target date for a decision. Huh, I thought the Big Sky was looking at a late spring target date to announce the schools accepted (if any)?

One of my favorite parts:

"Among our athletic personnel and others on campus, there is some motivation to make the move, but this is by no means unanimous. It isn't even widespread in athletics. Most of the support for the idea seems to be in football.

"Although one other coach has come out in favor, the rest are all opposed, some openly so."

So, Lennon is for moving to DI, and the rest of the staff is opposed?

dnk
12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
I wonder if Jimmy Kleinsasser is going to weigh in on
the matter. Didn't he head the list of detractors when
NDSU made the decision to move up?? :)

Bisonguy
12-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I wonder if Jimmy Kleinsasser is going to weigh in on
the *matter. *Didn't he head the list of detractors when
NDSU made the decision to move up?? :) *

I think the exact quote from Jimmy K is, "Duh, I think they're stupid. Duhhhhhhh."

Gamehunter
12-06-2004, 05:55 AM
LOL that just made my day ;D

87Bisonfan
12-06-2004, 04:07 PM
The GF Herald article makes it sound like UNDII is doing some last minute scrambling to make a decison by Dec. 13. They haven't even requested the questionnaire yet? More like a lack of leadership and vision!

Great to be a Bison!!

IowaBison
12-06-2004, 04:15 PM
That's what I got out of it too.

I wonder what the BSC office will think if UND requests an application this week?

Bisonfan01234
12-06-2004, 05:22 PM
That's what I got out of it too.

I wonder what the BSC office will think if UND requests an application this week?

Not to be an asshole, but they might be thinking "when can we host a Big Sky tournament at the Ralph?".

missingnumber7
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
OR, <better idea> maybe our President isn't a narrow minded, self-centered, egotistical doushbag that can actually look outside the box and set goals to acomplish something other than gloating over the acomplishments of the "other" school. It sounds to me as if UND is in a state of panic trying to best SU while comming up empty handed. There should more motivation in a college president than to strictly compete against other colleges.
The only out side the box UND2 can think about is trying to establish a foothold in fargo and then getting shut down by the state.

Bison7925
12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
I listened to hot talk today and Scott Hennen interviewed Earl Strinden on the subject.

Talk about wearing blinders :-/

1. They were blaming Potts for the whole problem. Said he dis'ed UND by closing the Fargo center. Said he gave them permission to open the center then told them to close it.

2. What they forgot to mention was the hijacking of the $850,000.

3. They didn't mention the outright false advertising UND has used in regards to their engineering program.

4. The DI question is now all because DII is talking about reducing scholarships.

Answers:

1. Potts didn't tell UND to have two grand openings in the same year for the same thing. He didn't tell them to shove it in NDSU's face.

2. The hijacking of the funds is just short of theft.

3. Potts has told UND to cut with the false ads.

4. The scholarship question has been on the table for the last 5 years. RT said recently that he wasn't worried about the vote because he had enough votes to defeat it. Now it's all about the scholarships.

Bisonguy
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
The correct answer to #5 is that it's been happening in DII for about 20 years. ::)

Bison_Dan
12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Earl Strinden has less than zero creditablilty - he also said that Ralph was not holding the REA hostage about the sue name 2 days before the letter came! ::) ::)

Bisonguy
12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm nearly 100% certain that Strinden has no bias and is completely objective when it comes to UND and financial matters at UND. ::) ::)

WYOBISONMAN
12-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Strinden has been and always will be a liar.

Bison7925
12-07-2004, 06:47 PM
On today's hot talk he interviewed Dr. Potts.

Potts said he tried to get both presidents to come to an agreement and could find no common ground. He then told Kup what he wanted him to do. The letter was a last resort.

I like the way Potts handles himself. It's funny to hear both sides of the story.

PS: I also think Strinden is completely unbiased ::) ::) ::)

DIBISON
12-10-2004, 05:12 PM
UND President Kupchella was on WDAY Hot Talk this morning to disucss the DI & Fargo Campus issues. His comments related to DI:

- UND has not applied for membership to Big Sky, they submitted a letter of interest.
- If UND would receive a membership offer from the Big Sky, they may or may not accept the offer, because it still depends on their DI decision.
- If the AD recommends that UND consider DI, the issue would go through a university review process, which would take a couple of years,
- The earliest, the minimum timeline, would be 2006 for the exploratory year. Kupchella stressed 2006 would be the very minimum to begin the exploratory year.

According to Kupchella, it is pretty clear that UNDII does not know whether they will even go DI, and if they do, it is still 2-3 years down the road.

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 05:33 PM
With comments like that, UND mike get passed over this time around for expansion.

Perhaps in a few years when Sac drops, they can join.

Bison7925
12-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I found it interesting that he reinforced his view that DIaa and DII are virtually the same.

The dancing around the telepharmacy question was skillfull. (blame it on an unnamed person who may or may not have contacted NDSU)

Someone asked about the false ads being run concerning "one of the largest and most prestegious engineering programs in the western US"
He thought the caller was talking about something in Cal., not UND.

IowaBison
12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
!!!

He thinks that the Big Sky is going to offer them a spot?!??

They've made zero commitment, they've got millions in annual funding they'd have to find.

The guy's delusional!

NDSU_grad
12-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Isn't Hennen a UND grad. I don't want to make it sound like a conspiracy, I was just wondering how he handles issues like this. Does he seem fair? Does he offer any insight of his own? Things like that.

Bisonguy
12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Hennen does the PA at REA for UND hockey. Don't know if he's a grad or not.

IowaBison
12-10-2004, 06:12 PM
his show was broadcast for quit some time out of grand forks

TheBisonator
12-10-2004, 08:54 PM
UND President Kupchella was on WDAY Hot Talk this morning to disucss the DI & Fargo Campus issues. His comments related to DI:

- UND has not applied for membership to Big Sky, they submitted a letter of interest.
- If UND would receive a membership offer from the Big Sky, they may or may not accept the offer, because it still depends on their DI decision.
- If the AD recommends that UND consider DI, the issue would go through a university review process, which would take a couple of years,
- The earliest, the minimum timeline, would be 2006 for the exploratory year. Kupchella stressed 2006 would be the very minimum to begin the exploratory year.

According to Kupchella, it is pretty clear that UNDII does not know whether they will even go DI, and if they do, it is still 2-3 years down the road.

This is very good, 2006-07 being UND's earliest exploratory year. This means that at the earliest, NDSU would be in its 4th year of its 5-year transition to DI, while UND would only be in its first. Not only that, but the Big Sky ship for UND would have already sailed by then, and NDSU, SDSU, UNC and SUU would have been accepted to the Sky.

tony
12-10-2004, 09:03 PM
The Big Sky conference could just as well sail on without NDSU and SDSU.

What you describe happening to UND could happen, but if they did decide to move up, they would have the Mid-Con as an option -or- perhaps the Big Sky would have an opening by then for UND and a travel partner. They'd have NDSU's vote, I'm sure, even though it would hurt NDSU in some ways.

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 09:15 PM
SUU ain't getting in.

IowaBison
12-10-2004, 10:09 PM
The Big Sky conference could just as well sail on without NDSU and SDSU.

We all know it's true, but don't post it, Tony. Some of us have high hopes.

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 10:20 PM
I think NDSU, SDSU, and UNC all will get in without too much trouble.

bisondad
12-10-2004, 10:39 PM
If they do get in, when do you think they would start to compete in the Big Sky?

Bisondad

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 10:46 PM
2006 season.

tony
12-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Ah, don't let me kid you, NodakBison, I have very high hopes for NDSU getting into the Big Sky if they decide to expand. I guess we'll hear about it on Monday.

BisonDad, 2007 maybe? Just guessing. NDSU and SDSU wouldn't be be able to play in the conference tourney until 2008 though.

Bisonfan01234
12-10-2004, 10:52 PM
He's obviously not interested in roundball.

Bison_Dan
12-10-2004, 11:00 PM
und president kup said that 2006 would be their exploritory year so that would be the earliest. So 2007 would be the year for BSC. That's if they went DI or got accepted by BSC. I think that there're too late for the BSC.

Bisonguy
12-11-2004, 12:04 AM
If they do get in, when do you think they would start to compete in the Big Sky?

Bisondad

Doug Fullerton stated in an earlier interview that 2006 would be the first year any expansion schools would be able to be scheduled fully by the Big Sky schools.

Tuk
12-11-2004, 08:44 AM
I really don't like Kuppy much...he just seems like a quick talking con...

If anyone wants to listen, just follow the link and forward to the 1:00:00 mark.

http://www.in-forum.com/av/player.cfm?file=hottalk&type=wday

I like the (paraphrasing) "I am not sure who did it but we didn't intend any negative affects upon NDSU..."
II am sure they only intended to just hijack the funding and take over the program, but NDSU would get a couple hundred dollars and some complimentary football tickets to UND football for 2 years.

JBB
12-11-2004, 02:23 PM
I couldnt pick up the link. *When he said they didnt mean any harm to NDSU was he talking about:

1) *Their ill-fated Fargo "campus"
2) *The bitter stand against NDSUs move to DI
3) *The telepharmacy situation

or was it something else?

JBB
12-12-2004, 04:21 PM
The GF Hearold has 2 DI articles today. Here is a link to what I thought was the most informative: *

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10397726.htm

I thought this was interesting:

"The Bison will have to travel less in the future, Taylor said. And, when they do travel, they'll be coming home with "guarantee" checks for some football and men's basketball games. Guarantee money is what home teams pay visitors if there's no home-and-home agreement.

"We have $60,000 in men's basketball guarantees this year and could have generated $300,000," Taylor said. "But we didn't want to do that to the team because we want to have some success. Some mid-majors do that, but they start the year out 0-10.

"We have $155,000 to $165,000 in men's basketball guarantees for next year. And by 2007 or 2008, we hope to get $250,000 to $300,000 for a football guarantee from a I-A school, hopefully the University of Minnesota."

If NDSU gains membership in a conference, it's also guaranteed $150,000 a year in NCAA monies that largely come from the television revenues for the men's basketball tournament."

I also thought it was interesting that they are using 9 scholarship waivers for womans hockey and the discussion is underway to exand their use.

Tatanka
12-12-2004, 05:13 PM
I also thought it was interesting that they are using 9 scholarship waivers for womans hockey and the discussion is underway to exand their use.

++

So I guess John & Jane Q Taxpayer are by default members of the Fighting Sioux Club... Hmm... >:(

Bisonguy
12-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Nice editorial about the NDSU/UND presidents in The Forum today. Gives some good perspective: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=77701&section=Columnists&columnist=Lo u%20Ziegler

However, Kupchella didn't meet with the Editorial Board to conduct a cheerleading session. It wasn't long before he turned the tables and began asking questions about our news coverage of UND.

The springboard seemed to be a letter I received from a well-known UND booster who had little more than bad to say about our coverage of UND sports and especially a mid-October hockey game played at The Ralph........

Bison_Dan
12-13-2004, 01:35 PM
The sue can't get over the fact they live in a one horse town with a news media that has no perspective when it comes to und. Now they want Fargo to give them the same lip service and blind allegiance that the herald does. Fat chance! ;D

IowaBison
12-13-2004, 02:01 PM
The sue can't get over the fact they live in a one horse town with a news media that has no perspective when it comes to und. *Now they want Fargo to give them the same lip service and blind allegiance that the herald does. *Fat chance! *;D

I really think that the Forum HAS BEEN short-changing the sioux. The Bison are their top rival, you know. :) :) :)