PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State University...so far a failure in D1

Nodakstud
02-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Interesting article on Savannah State University...They moved from D2 in 2002. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=1980454

TheBisonator
02-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Savannah State is the exception, and not the rule. I bet they don't have nearly as much alumni money as NDSU does. Plus, they're fighting with lots of DI-A universities for regional attention (Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, etc.).

I know you'd absolutely LOVE do see us back in DII, but it'll never happen, sorry.

Bisonguy
02-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Interesting article on Savannah State University...They moved from D2 in 2002. *http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=1980454

That's a great argument for why a school should not move to DI without being able to raise the money for it. A university with less than 1,800 students and an athletic budget of less than $2 MM clearly belongs in DII.

kchats
02-01-2005, 04:29 AM
The most important thing to remember about Savannah State is they are not NDSU. NDSU has had a long history of successful well funded athletic programs. NDSU is also different than Savannah State because we didn't move up thinking we are going to be playing in the NCAA Tournament every year. We are going at it completely different with a different goal in mind. Yes we want to be in a conference where the conference champion gets an automatic birth to the tournament but we feel like we can fund the programs with alumni and community support as well. Apples to Oranges.

TheBisonator
02-01-2005, 04:32 AM
That's a great argument for why a school should not move to DI without being able to raise the money for it. A university with less than 1,800 students and an athletic budget of less than $2 MM clearly belongs in DII.

Exactly. It's just like Augustana trying to be successful in Division I.

Bisonguy
02-01-2005, 04:36 AM
Exactly. It's just like Augustana trying to be successful in Division I.

No, it's not.

Augustana has an athletic budget in excess of $3 MM, not less than $2 MM. :-/

Nodakstud
02-01-2005, 05:43 AM
I know...I was just pointing this out...I'm a UND student...who was born hating NDSU...but i definitely think that UND made a mistake not jumping with NDSU, SDSU, and UNC...I think that our admin has a done a terrible job...and i hope our new AD get's us moving...and hopefully something happens so we can get Suckchella out...until then, I wish NDSU the best on their venture into D1....

By the way...sorry about my little tag below my name...it should be changed...but it's been awhile since i've logged in.

TheBisonator
02-01-2005, 06:17 AM
No, it's not.

Augustana has an athletic budget in excess of $3 MM, not less than $2 MM. :-/

Hey, what's a million between friends?? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GCWaters
02-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Savannah State is a crappy school academically and financially--always has been, always will be...In addition to the D1-A's, Georgia Southern is 55 minutes up the road, and SSU can't compete with them at any level and in any way...

dakotadan
02-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I know...I was just pointing this out...I'm a UND student...who was born hating NDSU...but i definitely think that UND made a mistake not jumping with NDSU, SDSU, and UNC...I think that our admin has a done a terrible job...and i hope our new AD get's us moving...and hopefully something happens so we can get Suckchella out...until then, I wish NDSU the best on their venture into D1....

By the way...sorry about my little tag below my name...it should be changed...but it's been awhile since i've logged in.

I second that!!!!

I think that UND is in a much better position now to move than it was 3 or 4 years ago. With a new AD coming in, UND has a chance to bring in someone with first hand experience to help make a move successful. I hope the heads at UND realize this and don't miss the boat!!

IowaBison
02-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Bullplop

UND with it's women's hockey and REA issues has a full plate.

UND will be in a good position when NDSU gets conference affiliation.

BisonInTexas
02-02-2005, 01:41 AM
I agree with NorthDakotaBison. It is going to take a lot more than a new AD to get UND to move up - the first thing that has to happen is they have to hire a President with a little vision. I can't help but wonder if Thomas's departure had to do with a difference of opinion with regards to DI with the President at UND.

Craig

Tuk
02-02-2005, 06:15 AM

As a wise old sage once told me:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-Kr_BhUmUgcJ:www.neilburling.freeserve.co.uk/moon.jpg

Never apologize for your beliefs, and always brush your teeth twice a day. If we didn't make fun of each other, what fun would a rivalry be? That is what makes rivalries so fun!

Gamehunter
02-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Yes, well HOPEFULLY UND gets smart and kicks good 'ol cupcake in the rear so we can have our game back!! I'm not so sure a new AD will be enough to convince him.

bisondad
02-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I can't ever see more than 1 D-I school in ND. I think the cost of funding ALL sports D-I is a huge financial burden. UND is seeing that with women's hockey, and that's just one other sport. Add on all of the other men's and women's sports. For NDSU to make it work well, football is going to have to do very well to support all of the non revenue generating sports. I believe NDSU will do it, but it will not be easy. To have two D-I schools within 100 miles, I just can't see it happening.

Bisondad

JBB
02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Yes, well HOPEFULLY UND gets smart and kicks good 'ol cupcake in the rear so we can have our game back!! *I'm not so sure a new AD will be enough to convince him.

Looking at the type of players we are bringing in its easy to see the two programs are on different paths. Im not sure we will every play again and thats just fine. Do we really need another 45 pt victory on the schedule?

IowaBison
02-02-2005, 05:02 PM
let's continue to sidethread!

I think that UND is in a great spot, with their NCC/Hockey combination.

Without another Ralph and strong administrative support, they will not be competitive in DI and I think they know it.

Playing UNO, UMD, Mankato, and St. Cloud State which are quite similar is a great deal. *There aren't enough butts to put into the seats in GF to field decent DI teams. *

Say we get into conference X, which makes it easier for UND to move DI, I still don't know if they do it.

BisBison
02-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I can't ever see more than 1 D-I school in ND. I think the cost of funding ALL sports D-I is a huge financial burden. UND is seeing that with women's hockey, and that's just one other sport. Add on all of the other men's and women's sports. For NDSU to make it work well, football is going to have to do very well to support all of the non revenue generating sports. I believe NDSU will do it, but it will not be easy. To have two D-I schools within 100 miles, I just can't see it happening.

Bisondad

++ ain't happin anytime soon upstate