PDA

View Full Version : The Changing Face of I-AA?

Bisonguy
10-12-2004, 04:24 AM
From NCAA.org:

The distinction between Division I-A and Division I-AA football institutions became a little clearer this year with the implementation of new Division I-A membership requirements that became effective in August. But as Division I-AA football enters its 27th year, officials at some institutions remain concerned with several aspects of the classification and its relationship to the larger and more recognized Division I-A football teams.

Indeed, discussion about enriching the I-AA classification with a number of incentives and enhancements has been on the table since the release of the Football Study Oversight Committee (FSOC) report in 2001. That report mentioned several possible enhancements for I-AA football, and some people involved with the sport are waiting for the suggestions to regain momentum now that Division I-A criteria are more clearly defined.

Read the rest of the story- Division I-AA driving to score with football enhancements (http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/ncaa_news_online/2004/10_11_04/front_page_news/4121n01.html)

Some improvements, and some possible ones on the way. Good to see that every round of the I-AA playoffs will at least be on ESPN2. I'll be watching. ;D ;D

Bisonguy
02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
New update on a somewhat old topic- I-AA football committee casts eye toward enhancements (http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/ncaa_news_online/2005/02_28_05/division_i/4205n21.html?session=1FGk9RA2kVwOnaujMm9pWQtl3D)

Looks like some pretty basic stuff, but it's good to know that I-AA is attemting to improve itself.

Also of note:

The committee also reiterated its new selection policy for the 2005 championship. Previously, teams with more than three losses had their postseason threatened. The new policy stipulates that fewer than seven wins against Division I opponents may jeopardize postseason selection.

The fact that having DII opponents on the schedule may jeopardize playoff hopes is stressed again.

JBB
03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
The seven DI wins rule leaves room for a few DII games. *I liked all the ideas. *More money in the playoffs, seeding, breaking down barriers with DI-A competition and the change of division names are all positive changes. *I didnt see rts plan for trophy only competition mentioned anywhere.

One of the big positives was the desire to encourage more competiton between the DI bowl division and the Champiosnhip Division. *In some ways DI-AA and the DII problems are the same. *Both are concerned about top programs moving out and establishing a clear divisional identity.

mikelsch
03-01-2005, 04:22 PM
I liked the 7 wins against DI. I don't want to see any more DII or any other lower division games. No sense in moving up and continuing to play lower division games.

JBB
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
True, I like the rule too. But, in an 11 game season you could have 9 wins and 2 losses and still make it with 2 DII wins. I look on the DIIs just like the DI-A teams are looking at the DI-AAs. Its good competition, especially for the smaller school and it gives the larger school a chance to make some money.

mikelsch
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Until we get into a bigger football conference, we might be forced into scheduling 1 DII each year. After that, screw the DII scheduling. I know some of you cling to the past, but it is time to cut the cord. Nothing to gain with DII opponents. When we win, people will say you should have won (by a large margin, too). If we lose, then people will laugh and ask what is wrong. Montana found out the hard way.

JBB
03-01-2005, 08:07 PM
For me it has nothing to do with the past. *For those that may not have read the article I agee with the following:

"While the one in four is working relatively well, an enhancement certainly would be to count those games every year," he said. "It would be good for the health of college football in general. Not only does it give the I-AAs the opportunity to play and get the exposure and the revenue from I-A games, but it has to tendency to filter throughout college football."

Morrison also said games between I-A and I-AA schools generate significant regional interest. He citied the contest between the University of Georgia and Georgia Southern University earlier this season as an example.

"If you have the opportunity to count that game toward bowl eligibility every year, it creates more interest. There's usually a local rivalry and it helps with both revenue and exposure for I-AA, and it brings attention to some of the outstanding programs in the country, like Georgia Southern," Morrison said.

I know the athletic director at University of Minnesota feels the same way. *He mentions similar things when talking about playing the BISON.

Of course we have no regional DII teams that want to step up. *Part of it of course the stand DII has taken against inter-divisional play and part to the hard feelings that seem to have decended on the old NCC schools. *But what the heck, we had a hard time finding an out of conference DII game back in the day.

Bisonguy
03-02-2005, 03:29 AM
The seven DI wins rule *leaves room for a few DII games. *I liked all the ideas. *More money in the playoffs, seeding, breaking down barriers with DI-A competition and the change of division names are all positive changes. *I didnt see rts plan for trophy only competition mentioned anywhere.

One of the big positives was the desire to encourage more competiton between the DI bowl division and the Champiosnhip Division. *In some ways DI-AA and the DII problems are the same. *Both are concerned about top programs moving out and establishing a clear divisional identity.

No, it doesn't. Seven wins against DI opponents is the minimum number of DI wins that will not jeopardize selection for the playoffs. Without an autobid, NDSU will need at least 9 wins against DI opponents to get an at-large bid.

JBB
03-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Well, your talking specifics now, but if we do need 9 wins we can still harbor a DII on the schedule and drop a game to a DI team to be selected. I just dont see the new recomendations discouraging play against DII teams. There is room on everyones schedule for 1 DII team, but under normal circumstances that should be enough.

mikelsch
03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
With the pending, and probable passing of the 12 game season, there is room to play one D2 each year. But, if we can get 11 I-AA and 1 I-A, I would much rather have that.