PDA

View Full Version : Badlands Bowl

Bison_Kent
06-19-2005, 04:00 AM
Any news on the Badlands Bowl (Montana Vs. North Dakota Graduated High School Seniors)? I believe the game was being played in Dickinson tonight.

Bisonguy
06-19-2005, 04:34 AM
North Dakota put a whoopin' up on Montana, something like 53-29 (just heard it on WDAY 10:00 sports- listen yourself if you want the confirmed score).

I do accurately remember that North Dakota was leading the game 39-0 at one time.

Looks like the winds of change are blowing..........

MinotBison
06-19-2005, 04:49 AM
Were there any Bison recruits in the game, and if so, how did they do?

BisonMav
06-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Here are the highlights. Didn't find a roster, but I didn't look very hard either.

North Dakota BEATS Montana In Badlands Bowl

At Whitney Stadium Saturday, North Dakota looked like a team posessed in the annual Badlands Bowl. They scored on their first 6 possession and hung on to win 52-29. Mandan's Chris Leer caught the first touchdown of the game on a 25-yard touchdown pass from Tim Oskendahl and on their next possession St. Mary's Jeff Tescher outjumped the Montana secondary for their second score. Jon Samuelson of Bismarck High ran 6-yards for another touchdown running the score up to 21-0. After a 45-yard field goal by Brandon Hellevang, Ryan Chappelle of Grand Forks Central made the play of the game, cutting back several times across the field on a 13-yard touchdown pass from Oskendahl making it a 31-0 game. Chance Kraft of Minot scored the final touchdown of the half for North Dakota on a one-yard plunge. It was 39-0 at that points, and ND hung on to win it 52-29, the first win for North Dakota in the last eight years.

MinotBison
06-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Nice to see Minot's Chance Kraft get in the books. The kid is good.

bisongold
06-19-2005, 03:24 PM
I believe there was a much needed coaching change this year for ND's team. This was a total reversal of how things had been going! Good job coaches and ND players!!

WYOBISONMAN
06-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Great to see ND win this game after what has happened in the recent past!!

Paulie
06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Hung on to win? They hung 52 on them so they didn't hang on to any win... it was over in the 2nd quarter.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Looks like a few future Sioux were stars! That must have been the difference.

Bison_Dan
06-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Looks like a few future Sioux were stars! *That must have been the difference.

It was definitely the difference. -- Yea Right! It looks to me that the OL and DL were the difference.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-20-2005, 04:23 PM
It was definitely the difference. * -- Yea Right! *It looks to me that the OL and DL were the difference.

OK, I was joking, but how can you ever say it looks to you like the lines were the difference?

Besides future Sioux players did perform very well, one named MVP, another sets record for longest field goal in the history of the badlands bowl. Another makes "play of the game" Looks good!

mikelsch
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I wonder how many of the top ND players that NDSU recruited? I know that Chappelle was recruited. He might have been the only one that got away. Although with Steffes, Chapman, Moore, Washington, and Roehl; he wouldn't have played very much. I would imagine that Bohl will bring in at least one stud RB next recruiting class.

Congrats to the ND kids for sticking it to Montana. Hopefully we'll see the same at Montana St this fall.

Bison_Dan
06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
OK, I was joking, but how can you ever say it looks to you like the lines were the difference? *

Besides future Sioux players did perform very well, one named MVP, another sets record for longest field goal in the history of the badlands bowl. *Another makes "play of the game" Looks good!

Montana had less than 10 yards rushing - ND had a good mix of passing and rushing.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Montana had less than 10 yards rushing - ND had a good mix of passing and rushing. *

Actually it was 27, but yes the line probably did play well, it seems the entire ND team played well, led by future Sioux. ;)

NDSU_grad
06-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I wonder how many of the top ND players that NDSU recruited? *I know that Chappelle was recruited. *He might have been the only one that got away. *Although with Steffes, Chapman, Moore, Washington, and Roehl; he wouldn't have played very much. *I would imagine that Bohl will bring in at least one stud RB next recruiting class.

Congrats to the ND kids for sticking it to Montana. *Hopefully we'll see the same at Montana St this fall. * *
The kicker (Hellevang, I think) was also recruited by the Bison. He may have been a bigger loss than Chappelle.

JBB
06-21-2005, 12:50 AM
great game and some DII quality players really stepped up! Might not be so easy to have your pick from that pool when UMary starts hitting the DII recruiting trail.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-21-2005, 02:45 PM
great game and some DII quality players really stepped up! *Might not be so easy to have your pick from that pool when UMary starts hitting the DII recruiting trail.

Obviously it isn't that easy, as the Bison can attest to, losing recruits to a lower school! Quality players! Looks like another standout kicker in the Sioux program.

mikelsch
06-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Besides the kicker, which of those "quality" players do we need? Don't need Chappelle, already have Steffes, Chapman, Moore, and Washington. Don't need Tescher, already have White, Johnson, Heckendorf, Jackson, Belquist, and just signed 3 others this last year. Don't need Oskendahl, already have Walker, Parsons, and Mertens. You get the picture. The pool for us to land quality players is much bigger than a DII school. Dale Lennon knows that fact, and that's why he wants to move up to I-AA. We will only go head to head on a couple regional players each year. U of ND is no longer our main competitor for talent.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Besides the kicker, which of those "quality" players do we need? *Don't need Chappelle, already have Steffes, Chapman, Moore, and Washington. *Don't need Tescher, already have White, Johnson, Heckendorf, Jackson, Belquist, and just signed 3 others this last year. *Don't need Oskendahl, already have Walker, Parsons, and Mertens. *You get the picture. *The pool for us to land quality players is much bigger than a DII school. *Dale Lennon knows that fact, and that's why he wants to move up to I-AA. *We will only go head to head on a couple regional players each year. *U of ND is no longer our main competitor for talent.

I didn't say you "needed" them, just that you got beat out in recruiting for them. Coaches must think pretty highly of them if they were recruiting them.

JBB
06-21-2005, 04:20 PM
get on the planet. Now that there is DII competition for the DII talent in North Dakota you might be able to manufacture some good feeling about out recruiting them, but please, when you have no competition you will do well in the DII pool as you have been attesting to with your bragging.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
get on the planet. * Now that there is DII competition for the DII talent in North Dakota you might be able to manufacture some good feeling about out recruiting them, but please, when you have no competition you will do well in the DII pool as you have been attesting to with your bragging.

Strickly talking about the boys recruited by the Bison and Sioux; Chappelle and Hellevang.

JBB
06-22-2005, 12:26 AM
I didnt mean to sound so sharp, but really, you cant even do a nano tech project without measuring against NDSU. You will always have your roster full, I doubt any of them were ever serious about NDSU. 8)

Big_BisonFan
06-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Does anyone know where Chance Kraft from Minot is going to play college ball, if he is at all?

Bison_Dan
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Strickly talking about the boys recruited by the Bison and Sioux; Chappelle and Hellevang.

There will always be a couple of ND recruits that don't think they can play at the DI-AA level and opt to go dii. *Lets put it this way, *NDSU would have liked to had a couple of und recruits, but und would've liked to had the whole class of NDSU's recruits. *It's a different measuring stick now, get use to it.

mikelsch
06-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Very well said Bison Dan

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Just glad to see a couple of future Sioux finally helping ND beat Montana that's all. Hopefully the state can keep it up.

Side not: Did Ryan Leaf play in this game as a high schooler? I remember something about him not being on the team, was that the case? If so, good call, him, John Rocker and Ricky Williams should all share an apartment in Mexico City somewhere.

JBB
06-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Just glad to see a couple of future Sioux finally helping ND beat Montana that's all.

right. * :P

tony
06-23-2005, 10:39 AM
I'd hate to think that some of us Bison fans are you so insecure about NDSU that we end up putting down North Dakota athletes.

Let's face it: North Dakota hasn't beat Montana in a long time. Montana had a lot of DI signees on their team - probably 20 or so while North Dakota's team had, what, three? Yeah, coaching probably made a difference, but ND must have had some very good players on the field to compete with them. Chappelle, Oskendahl, etc all would have looked great in NDSU uniforms. Just because they went to UND doesn't change the fact that they are quality players.

JBB
06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
The focus should be the players, not bragging about how good your recruiters are. contrast the bragging with the posts on Egriz and the Montana posts here. The focus is the players.

tony
06-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Come off it, JBB. You sneered at the players UND recruited, implying that UND got them only because NDSU wasn't that interested and because they were only good enough for DII.

I'm telling you right now, a lot of these guys are plenty good enough to play for NDSU. Maybe NDSU didn't do that great of a job of going after in-state talent this year, maybe they just had some other guys rated a little higher, and/or maybe they had too much talent at a particular position. None of this changes the facts that these ND kids did a hell of a job or that they are very good athletes. Why not just congratulate them and move on?

If HS coaches, alumni, fans, and athletes in ND start to think that your attitude mirrors NDSU's, we won't be successful recruiting ND or maintaining the support we need to succeed at DI.

RedRiver
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I agree that team North Dakota had quality players. Although I disagree with the comment that there are alot of these guys that are plenty good enough to play at NDSU. There is a difference in the caliber of competition and level of athletes between DII and DIAA, and North Dakota just does not produce alot of DIAA and higher players, it's a fact.

After reading the posts I never thought anyone was insecure or knocking the athletes, I just thought that they were stating the fact that there is a difference in the quality between DIAA and DII football recruits.

Anyway, congrats to the coaches and players of team North Dakota.

Bryan
06-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Prep football: Outstate hammers Metro
By Tom Fenton
tfenton@stcloudtimes.com

Eric Decker and Nick Mertens looked as though they had been playing football together since they first strapped on the pads Saturday night.
Obviously, they're quick learners.

Decker and Mertens only spent one week practicing together with the Outstate team to prepare for the Minnesota High School All-Star Game. But, they put on one heck of a display in leading their team to a 39-25 victory over the Metro All-Stars at St. Cloud State's Husky Stadium.

The game was played before an estimated attendance of 2,500.

"It was a great feeling being out on that field," said Decker, who caught eight passes for 151 yards and a touchdown to earn offensive MVP honors for his team. "I knew coming in we had a great quarterback and great receivers, and everything clicked. Mertens throws a great ball. He's definitely a playmaker."

Rest of the recap...
http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?Web/page.mv+1+sports+822312

Bison_Dan
06-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I sure glad we got Mertens. He'll be a great player for the Bison. ;D ;D