PDA

View Full Version : UNH Article

markerman
09-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Here is an article I found on the UNH football team and how they are trying to increase their fan interest:

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=60394

It's interesting that they are the #2 team in the nation and they really don't have much support. I live out here in New England and people are amazed when they see how seriously we take our college football (or athletics in general) in the midwest. I have several friends that went to UNH and I've brought up UNH's ranking it's news to them.

I am very thankful that I went to a school (and grew up in an area) where people have pride in where they went to school and aren't afraid to show it!

IL_Bison
09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I agree completely. I work with a UNH grad and he thinks I'm crazy for following the Bison so closely. Although he now owns a NDSU t-shirt!

I assume its simply regional differences. There isn't many good football schools up in New England, Syracuse maybe but not exactly New England. A NC State grad I work with is similarly devoted to Wolfpack football as I am with the Bison.

markerman
09-23-2005, 01:39 PM
I agree completely. *I work with a UNH grad and he thinks I'm crazy for following the Bison so closely. *Although he now owns a NDSU t-shirt!

I assume its simply regional differences. *There isn't many good football schools up in New England, Syracuse maybe but not exactly New England. * A NC State grad I work with is similarly devoted to Wolfpack football as I am with the Bison.

It definitely is regional differences. Syracuse is definitely not New England (they have a great following). The only college football team in New England that gets any kind of a following is Boston College (especially now that they are ACC). I went to a BC game last year (vs. Penn State). Their stadium holds about 40,000 and it's a decent atmosphere (although our intro beats theirs (and Oklahoma's for that matter)).

This really is the only region of the country where college football isn't big (University of Vermont doesn't even have a football team). It's sad, but true...