PDA

View Full Version : NDSU's Playoff Eligibility

Da_Bizon
11-15-2005, 02:31 AM
I heard somewhere that we can appeal the 5 year reclassification period after the 3rd year. Does anyone know if that's true?

Gamehunter
11-15-2005, 03:21 AM
That would be this year, and if true, would mean we would have a chance at the playoffs next year.

....sounds too good to be true....

roadwarrior
11-15-2005, 03:57 AM
Must have heard that rumor near closing time at your favorite bar ;D

lucchesicourt
11-15-2005, 09:19 PM
From what I understand, there is absolutely no way you can be in the playoffs until after the transitional period. Even if you go undefeated and have the highest SOS you will NOT get that opportunity. That's why I say the Ags playoffs started and ended with Stanford and Cal Poly. However, the next item is to continue the streak (of consectutive winning seasons) followed by winning the GWFC. Winning our conference tilte is nice for all us transitional teams, but means much more to Cal Poly as they are playoff elgible.

Bisonguy
11-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I have seen nothing remotely close to this in the DI Manual, and if it isn't there, it does not exist.

BisonBryce
11-16-2005, 06:34 AM
why is the transitional period so long? i've heard because of the basketball revenues of D1 (if so just only make basketball be out of the playoffs and not get the revenue). probably isn't that simple. can anyone refresh me? seemed like it was a topic during tailgating.

Rodentia
11-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Well, you can appeal anything you want, whether the NCAA pays attention to that appeal is another issue altogether.

BisonBacker
11-16-2005, 05:54 PM
It would be nice if it were so but I think someone was pulling your chain. Unfortunately we are going to be waiting a few more years for playoff eligibility but that's ok. It's worth the wait.

lucchesicourt
11-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Hopefully, by the time all the current teams are playoff elgible, our conference will be the best conference top to bottom in 1AA. It is definitely possible.

TransAmBison
11-17-2005, 01:24 AM
The GW should definitely send out some well seasoned contenders at least...

scottheck
11-17-2005, 03:34 AM
When we started the transition discussion, the men's BB probation was 13 years. It was changed the year before or the year of making the switch.

Gully
11-17-2005, 12:12 PM
I forget. How long is the men's probabtion now and does the DII exploratory year count?

89rabbit
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
NDSU and SDSU are NCAA post season eligible in all sports except Volleyball and Wrestling in '08-'09. Volleyball and Wrestling are eligible next season. Both the Men's and Women's Basketball teams are eligible for the NIT now.

Go State! ;D

sambini
11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Be patient it will be worth the wait.

Rodentia
11-17-2005, 10:00 PM
I wonder if the NCAA taking over the NIT will affect anything. Currently, the NIT ameks its decisions based primarily on the name recognition of teams and how many tickets they think will sell. For example, a Big Ten team is vertually guaranteed an NIT berth with a .500 record, while teams that had more wins from less prestigious conferences gets snubbed.

sambini
11-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Wasn't the womens team suppose to play in the preseason NIT? Or was I thinking they would be able to play in it asap?

mikelsch
11-18-2005, 04:00 PM
I wonder if the NCAA taking over the NIT will affect anything. *Currently, the NIT ameks its decisions based primarily on the name recognition of teams and how many tickets they think will sell. For example, a Big Ten team is vertually guaranteed an NIT berth with a .500 record, while teams that had more wins from less prestigious conferences gets snubbed.

The NCAA has appointed a committee (involving Dean Smith, etc) to run the new NIT. All regular season conference champions that don't win their conference tourney (and don't make the NCAA tourney) will make the NIT. In the past, the NIT has included 40 teams. The new NIT will have either 32 or 48 teams. Final four still playing at Madison Square Garden. More details still to be worked out.