PDA

View Full Version : Tom Douple

jeffculhane
05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Tom Douple will appear on "In the Zone" this afternoon at 3:25 on SportsRadio 1570 The Ticket to discuss the state of the Mid Con and possible expansion. Also listen online at kvht.com. With the Big Sky Presidents meeting this week we hope to have Doug Fullerton on the show very soon.

WYOBISONMAN
05-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Jeff, thanks for the heads up. I will tune in online out here in Wyoming!!

Bisonguy
05-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up!!

At least it should be more than rumor mongering this time. ;D

tcbison
05-23-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm listening now and they are talking about the Big Sky conference.

Bisonguy
05-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Anything interesting?

I just started up the stream.

IowaBison
05-23-2006, 08:30 PM

Anything interesting?

Yep. He said UVSU joined the Big Sky. :P

Bisonguy
05-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Anything interesting?

Yep. He said UVSU joined the Big Sky. * :P

Anything interesting that isn't already common knowledge?? :P

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Anything interesting?

We've already had one post april fools day joke ;D

tcbison
05-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Anything interesting?

Anything interesting that isn't already common knowledge?? *:P

Nothing so far.

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
They are talking about the cost's to travel to Fargo and Brookings. I don't get that comment when they travel to Utah????

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 08:50 PM
The interviewer asked about und's chances of getting into a conference until before declaring and he ducked the question. He didn't say it would be impossible but it sure didn't sound good. Said he didn't know a thing about und and said he didn't see any offer while he was commissioner to und if they didn't declare. Should pretty much put that horse out to pasture.

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I think its really is pretty arrogant to think a conference will extend an invite if you are still DII.

tony
05-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I didn't think he didn't duck the question about UND - Douple had some pretty strong words about how NDSU had good things to say about DI, decided that's where NDSU belonged, and then went and did it - he stated that NDSU had the courage and determination to do what they thought was right in regard to DI despite of a tremendous amount of nay-saying ("pooh-poohing") - he then did a pretty convincing imitation of a Grand Forks editorial on the issue to show just what he thought of that kind of backbiting.

He went on to say about UND that, "Nobody in our conference knows who they are."

Hehehe, my vote is for the Mid-Continent now!

Thanks for Mr. Culhane for giving us the heads up!

mikelsch
05-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Good discussion with Tom Douple...sounds like a quality leader that has developed a strong relationship with NDSU and SDSU

Just like the Big Sky, their main issue is travel cost

Will distribute candidate profiles to ADs and Presidents in the next 3 weeks

Expansion is the only item on agenda at June meeting. Mentioned looking at anywhere from 1-4 schools

BismarckBison
05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Jeff did a good job on the interview. Jeff, thanks for the notice and the web link.

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
I didn't think he didn't duck the question about UND - Douple had some pretty strong words about how NDSU had good things to say about DI, decided that's where NDSU belonged, and then went and did it - he stated that NDSU had the courage and determination to do what they thought was right in regard to DI despite of a tremendous amount of nay-saying ("pooh-poohing") - he then did a pretty convincing imitation of a Grand Forks editorial on the issue to show just what he thought of that kind of backbiting.

He went on to say about UND that, "Nobody in our conference knows who they are."

I agree Tony, Douple is my guy too, I know one thing, listening to him and then istening to Fullerton leaves no question in my mind as to who I would want as my conference commissioner. I don't think Douple panders to his audience.

Bison08
05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I think its really is pretty arrogant to think a conference will extend an invite if you are still DII.

Not rallying to UND's defense, but it is not unheard of for Division II schools to be invited to a Division I conference as they announce their move up. Just in the past few years, North Florida, Kennesaw (Ga.) State, Florida Gulf Coast, South Carolina-Upstate and Presbyterian (S.C.) all received invitations before officially beginning their first year in Division I.

Of course, all of those schools have one thing in common -- they're in heavily populated parts of the country surrounded by other D-I schools and conferences. As has been said before numerous times, the ONLY thing working against NDSU and SDSU is geography.

WYOBISONMAN
05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes, a lot of fun listening to him. No matter what conference we go to it made you realize that the only way to move to DI is to take the plunge and do it. Douple is a class act!

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 09:06 PM
As has been stated before those conferences were not exactly well known or established either. Not to mention maybe a little desperate.

broke_back_mnt
05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
The conference issue is the ultimate excuse. I think their teeth would fall out if they actually got an invite! ;D

rabidrabbit
05-23-2006, 09:14 PM

Not rallying to UND's defense, but it is not unheard of for Division II schools to be invited to a Division I conference as they announce their move up. Just in the past few years, North Florida, Kennesaw (Ga.) State, Florida Gulf Coast, South Carolina-Upstate and Presbyterian (S.C.) all received invitations before officially beginning their first year in Division I.

Of course, all of those schools have one thing in common -- they're in heavily populated parts of the country surrounded by other D-I schools and conferences. As has been said before numerous times, the ONLY thing working against NDSU and SDSU is geography.

Living 30 miles from FL Gulf Coast, they've been searching for a DII home (currently independent), and couldn't get into the Suncoast. The ONLY conference that they found with an interest in them was the A-sun, therefore, they're leaping (non-football school) into D-IAAA. The SE USA is a LOUSY comparison to situation faced by UND.

Like it or not, UND's ability to move to D-1, at this time, is ONLY by the coattails of NDSU and lesser extend SDSU's. And we're still NOT IN A CONFERENCE (yet). Hope we know by end of summer.

WYOBISONMAN
05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
A great discussion going on with the sports writer from the Argus Leader. He just said that the MidCon is a "distant consolation prize" when compared to getting into the Big Sky..........

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I found that comment interesting as well as the comment that they should wait 2 years.

roadwarrior
05-23-2006, 09:32 PM
He threw out the cost to travel to Fargo and Brookings. If we replace an existing team in the conference, what changes is the destination. For instance in 07-08 Mid Con teams will not be travelling to Valpo. Its a substitution of cities, not additional costs! (It might cost a little more to travel to the Dakotas, but only the incremental cost should be looked at.) If the conference grows to more teams, that would mean less travel to non conference destinations!

broke_back_mnt
05-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Exactly!! Sunk costs.

tony
05-23-2006, 09:42 PM
SolariWhoever that writer was, he was much too hard on the Mid-Con... the Big Sky doesn't offer homes for some of NDSU's sports.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic to see NDSU get invited to either conference.

If the Mid-Con isn't as good as you'd like now, put NDSU and SDSU in it and the whole deal changes. I kind of like the idea NDSU and SDSU being able to put their stamp on a conference.

Edit got the name of the writer wrong.

jackrabbit1979
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Solari was much too hard on the Mid-Con... the Big Sky doesn't offer homes for some of NDSU's sports.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic to see NDSU get invited to either conference.

If the Mid-Con isn't as good as you'd like now, put NDSU and SDSU in it and the whole deal changes. I kind of like the idea NDSU and SDSU being able to put their stamp on a conference.

It wasn't Solari that was on, it was another Argus beat writer Mick Garry. *I believe Mick is the beat writer for the Univ. of South Dakota, but i'm not totally sure, which could have swayed his mindset a bit. *Either way, for someone to say any team should wait two years before deciding on a conference to see if they get invites from others is just ridiculous. *

Join, Enjoy, Compete, Win, and 5-10 years from now if something better comes along take a look then. *

Rabbitlivinginverm
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Solari was much too hard on the Mid-Con... the Big Sky doesn't offer homes for some of NDSU's sports.

I don't think it was Solari that was interviewed. I believe it was either Mick Garry or Stu Whitney. Neither one have too much good to say about SDSU.

89rabbit
05-23-2006, 09:47 PM

That was not Chris Solari the SDSU beat writer, it was Mick Garry the USD beat writer talking on the radio home for USD. *He is no friend of SDSU, what he said needs to be understood in that context.

Go State! *:)

jackrabbit1979
05-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Great minds think alike Verm, i always have been just a step quicker than you though ;)

Rabbitlivinginverm
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Great minds think alike Verm, i always have been just a step quicker than you though *;)

Naw, your computer is just a little quicker ;)

tony
05-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Man, that was a beat writer covering USD? He was awfully even-handed! A Grand Forks Herald reporter, editor, columnist, or whoever would have engaged in one long smirk-fest and would never have passed up chances to take shots at NDSU and fawn over UND. If his interview is any indication, you guys don't have anything to complain about.

DIBISON
05-24-2006, 02:48 AM

Thanks for Mr. Culhane for giving us the heads up!

It seems like Douple knows where the Mid-Con needs to go and has a plan for expansion. Hopefully this includes NDSU & SDSU.

kchats
05-24-2006, 03:36 AM
I would be very happy with an invite to the Mid Con. Hey it is a conference for all of our sports that don't have one and we aren't in one. The Big Sky won't be doing anything until October remember they have to do campus visits and that takes time to set up. Like Tony said if the Mid Con is as bad as everyone here thinks it is (I don't believe it is) NDSU and SDSU should be able to shape the conference and make it better. If NDSU and SDSU continue to improve there athletic teams they might actually bring the conference up with them to new heights.

If a conference makes an invite accept it and work with the other schools to improve the conference and its image.

Bisonguy
05-24-2006, 03:50 AM
Douple's previous comments about the GWFC/Mid-Con relationship also seems to reaffirm a propensity to add NDSU and SDSU.

How in the heck could you duplicate a MoValley/Gateway relationship when only one school (SUU) is a member of both conferences?

perry_c
05-24-2006, 03:57 AM
How in the heck could you duplicate a MoValley/Gateway relationship when only one school (SUU) is a member of both conferences?

Interestingly, I believe the Gateway was originally (1985) a merger of the I-AA members of the Missouri Valley and Mid-Continent conferences. Yep--the M-C used to officially sponsor football.

D-II moveups, plus the collapse of football conferences in California created a weird confederation.

89rabbit
05-24-2006, 04:07 AM
Filbert did a really nice job of paraphrasing what Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple had to say over on our board.

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148411999

Go State! :)

Bisonguy
05-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Filbert did a really nice job of paraphrasing what Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple had to say over on our board.

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148411999

Go State! *:)

Indeed, Filbert did a very good job!!

The most interesting portion of the quote, IMO:

Over the summer, I expect us to take some kind of action.