PDA

View Full Version : Latest on the Mid-Con

RedRiver
06-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Sorry to start another topic but this is new information on the Mid-Con.

WDAY Sports reported late last night from a conversation with Mid-Con commissioner that:

- They will spend 1/2 of the day talking expansion,
- There are 6 or 7 schools that have applied for membership and most have finished with their DI transition,
- NDSU chances are pretty good because they have a good profile, which includes success, media support, etc..,
- And UND is not an option for the Mid-Con at this time.

That's the latest and June 27th will hopefully be a huge day for NDSU!!

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
The seven?

NDSU
SDSU
UTPA
UVSU
IPFW

Savannah State?
Longwood?

Somebody else?

DIBISON
06-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Sorry to start another topic but this is new information on the Mid-Con.

WDAY Sports reported late last night from a conversation with Mid-Con commissioner that:

- They will spend 1/2 of the day talking expansion,
- There are 6 or 7 schools that have applied for membership and most have finished with their DI transition,
- NDSU chances are pretty good because they have a good profile, which includes success, media support, etc..,
- And UND is not an option for the Mid-Con at this time.

That's the latest and June 27th will hopefully be a huge day for NDSU!!

This topic is the only priority for NDSU right now. I don't think there is anything more important than conference membership. No doubt June 27th could be one of the biggest days ever in this DI transition process. I like that the fact that no DII schools are not an option for the Mid-Con.

Scooter
06-23-2006, 02:44 PM
If they say that they are going to spend 1/2 of the day talking expansion, that must mean that they are pretty serious about this subject. Good news for the teams that want admittance.

Paulie
06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
The seven?

NDSU
SDSU
UTPA
UVSU
IPFW

Savannah State?
Longwood?

Somebody else?

New Jersey Institute of Technology or whatever they are called maybe?

NanoBison
06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
So which of these schools has fully completed their DI transition, or are Full standing DI. Aka, which ones are better positioned that us, since we still have another 2 years... I'd just like to know how we stack up against those institutions...

RodentiaX
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I think Savannah State has completed their transition, but that's the ONLY thing going for them.

NanoBison
06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Good to hear, so all-in-all we stand a pretty good chance, along with SDSU, of getting an invite... :)

Paulie
06-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Well IPFW and UTPA are full members of D-I.

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I would be stunned to see anyone other than IPFW get an invite on Monday, although I do expect the Mid-Con to express its continued interest in NDSU and SDSU and not in the bullshit fashion we've experienced at the hands of someone employed by the Big Sky Conference.

The biggest factor which makes handicapping the Mid-Con's actions on Monday all but impossible is their instability. They cannot afford to lose a single member, else the risk their basketball autobid.

Who knows how they will decide to run their meeting-it's almost certain that any decision will require unanimity. Will there be any horse trading? Who knows

For all I know the whole afternoon discussion about expansion could consist of the decison makers sitting around a table in the hotel lounge repeating the phrases "We're so fuc%ed" and "Yes, we are" with everyone nodding in agreement.

silkamilkamonico
06-23-2006, 07:30 PM
I have heard inside reports that have said NDSU is a top candidate for the Mid Con, and alot of that had to do with NDSU and the path that the bball program is going.

This was one of the arguments that was used for answering the questions that the new volleyball coach had when he questioned conference affiliates.

I feel very good about our chances with the Mid Con.

silkamilkamonico
06-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I would be stunned to see anyone other than IPFW get an invite on Monday, although I do expect the Mid-Con to express its continued interest in NDSU and SDSU and not in the bullshit fashion we've experienced at the hands of someone employed by the Big Sky Conference.

If it doesn't work out getting into the Mid Con now, I see big problems with NDSU and they're conference woes.

The Big Sky isn't anywhere close in the near future despite what anyone wants to believe, and unless Mid Con adds programs every year, thir expansion will come and go, and I see a strong possibility that NDSU will be 5 years down the road, with absolutely no conference talks in sight.

NDSU should pray they get into the Mid Con this summer, or IMHO, things could get ugly for the athletics.

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I can really see the Mid-Con schools looking at the Wisconsin win and saying that could have been one of us-and it could have been.

IMO, the mentality at DIAAA schools is attention through men's basketball in whatever way possible.

The Mid-Con enjoyed some notoriety due to Valpo's success in the tournament, they will be losing that soon. The Bison could fill that role.

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
If it doesn't work out getting into the Mid Con now, I see big problems with NDSU and they're conference woes.

NDSU should pray they get into the Mid Con this summer, or IMHO, things could get ugly for the athletics.

I agree completely, but I see us getting into the Mid-Con in the next two years as a 50-50 proposition at best.

Folks who think we are getting into the Big Sky without something extremely significant and most likely unexpected happening are walking in the clouds.

BisonMav
06-23-2006, 07:43 PM
If it doesn't work out getting into the Mid Con now, I see big problems with NDSU and they're conference woes. *

I agree completely, but I see us getting into the Mid-Con in the next two years as a 50-50 proposition at best.

Folks who think we are getting into the Big Sky without something extremely significant and most likely unexpected happening are walking in the clouds.

I agree with your Big Sky outlook, but maybe more of a 80-20 guy with the Mid-Con.

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 08:48 PM
optimism be damned, I'm sticking with 50-50.

JJ_Penn
06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine is a former administrator and still works at a Mid-Con school and he told me to expect IPFW and both us and SDSU to be invited and also said the UTPA has a better shot than they might have before because ORU has fought very hard for them. . .anyway, may be a bunch of bull but I consider him reliable and as inside a source as anyone.

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 09:05 PM
As long as his first name isn't Doug and his last name doesn't rhyme with Fullerton, I'll put more stock into your Mid-Con friend than other folks on the 'down-low'

IowaBison
06-23-2006, 09:17 PM
A friend of mine is a former administrator and still works at a Mid-Con school and he told me to expect IPFW and both us and SDSU to be invited and also said the UTPA has a better shot than they might have before because ORU has fought very hard for them. . .anyway, may be a bunch of bull but I consider him reliable and as inside a source as anyone.

That actually brings up a point that I missed previously-pressure/black mail,

ie add school x or we bolt

interesting...................

JJ_Penn
06-23-2006, 09:29 PM
As long as his first name isn't Doug and his last name doesn't rhyme with Fullerton, I'll put more stock into your Mid-Con friend than other folks on the 'down-low'

Not him TG :)

Spoke to him yesterday actually so it is pretty recent info - can't say the school but the person is still in the athletic dept. there (all I will say is it is a Midwestern Mid-Con school) and this is what he has been led to believe

RedRiver
06-23-2006, 09:58 PM

If it doesn't work out getting into the Mid Con now, I see big problems with NDSU and they're conference woes. *

The Big Sky isn't anywhere close in the near future despite what anyone wants to believe, and unless Mid Con adds programs every year, thir expansion will come and go, and I see a strong possibility that NDSU will be 5 years down the road, with absolutely no conference talks in sight.

I agree, it is Mid-Con or bust for NDSU & SDSU. Hopefully, we get an invite and join the league for the 2007-2008. Otherwise, like you say there is really no other conference possibilities out there.

NanoBison
06-23-2006, 11:06 PM
That's when we start looking at DI-A... ;)

MplsBison
06-23-2006, 11:27 PM
DI-A is unrealistic for a few years.

Lets stick it out with SDSU, UND, and USD in I-AA and test the waters before we start talking I-A.

TheBisonator
06-24-2006, 01:04 AM

Lets stick it out with SDSU, UND, and USD in I-AA and test the waters before we start talking I-A.

And remain an independent in most sports??

NanoBison
06-24-2006, 01:52 AM
I look at it this way MplsBison, if we don't have a conference invite by the time we are eligible, we should be looking immediately into DI-A (I'm sure the administration is currently doing so, since Chapman said "it's all on the table"). Otherwise we are going to be sitting with all of our sports in limbo with no conference affiliation, just like TheBisonator pointed out. Isn't the 5 years we've committed to enough of a wait?

kchats
06-24-2006, 03:55 AM

NDSU and SDSU will move on together. If USD decides to move up UND has their partner. Why are you so infatuated with UND. Let them do this on their own like they obviously wanted to.

I ask the UND fans one more time, "Why couldn't UND decide to make this move back in 2003 and join NDSU and SDSU in the transition?" As they have recently shown everyone they did nothing to prove to themselves or anyone else that they are now ready for the move. The UND President even said this in the news conference when he said we will find out if the fans support it and if we can afford it by making the announcement. They didn't hire an outside consultant to study the market and see if it could handle a move to division I they only moved because NDSU forced their hand by moving and being successful. This extra time they took did nothing for them but set them behind NDSU 5 years and they could have easily made the decision the same way back then emotionally with no logic or statistics or plan to back it up.

NDSU and SDSU have gone about this whole move to division I the right way. UND has no clue what they are doing.

DIBISON
06-24-2006, 03:58 AM
The Mid-Con meeting will no doubt shape the future and direction of NDSU athletics no matter what is decided. I think everyone agrees that the Big Sky is not interested in expansion to the Dakotas so the Mid-Con is all that remains.

And the fact is, after the June 27th meeting the Mid-Con may not be interested in any further expansion either for many years.

Good luck to the Bison & SDSU next week!!

kchats
06-24-2006, 04:00 AM
It was very obvious to me during the last Big Sky meeting where almost none of their presidents attended and they went out of their way to state that NDSU will not be considered either alone or as one of 3 new teams. That tells me the Big Sky is not interested.

DIBISON
06-24-2006, 05:00 AM
I look at it this way MplsBison, if we don't have a conference invite by the time we are eligible, we should be looking immediately into DI-A (I'm sure the administration is currently doing so, since Chapman said "it's all on the table"). Otherwise we are going to be sitting with all of our sports in limbo with no conference affiliation, just like TheBisonator pointed out. Isn't the 5 years we've committed to enough of a wait?

Isn't there a local DII school that said conference affiliation is a prerequisite before they reclassify to NCAA DI? There is no way the Bison should stick it out for a few years with USD & UND.

NanoBison
06-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Exactly, I say they are on their own...

BisonMav
06-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Isn't there a local DII school that said conference affiliation is a prerequisite before they reclassify to NCAA DI? *There is no way the Bison should stick it out for a few years with USD & UND.

There were many fans from that school that said NDSU should follow the Carr Report verbatum, and have a conference in hand before they move to DI. *Are these same fans preaching this to the UND administration, Conference first. *I do see some of them sliding of the slope and now saying "Money" and/or "Conference". *Some of the people in the glass houses were casting stones. *;) :-? ;D

The Carr report was advise, not rules written in stone. :o

89rabbit
06-24-2006, 02:11 PM

That could be bad news for the Sioux as one could imagine at some point that there will be some horse trading going on. If ORU gets UTPA, one would think that SUU would want Utah Valley State. That would take the Mid-Con to 12 and leave no room for UND until/unless someone left. Pure speculation on my part and just a thought.

Go State! :)

BisonInTexas
06-24-2006, 02:21 PM

NDSU and SDSU will move on together. *If USD decides to move up UND has their partner. *Why are you so infatuated with UND. *Let them do this on their own like they obviously wanted to.

I ask the UND fans one more time, "Why couldn't UND decide to make this move back in 2003 and join NDSU and SDSU in the transition?" *As they have recently shown everyone they did nothing to prove to themselves or anyone else that they are now ready for the move. *The UND President even said this in the news conference when he said we will find out if the fans support it and if we can afford it by making the announcement. *They didn't hire an outside consultant to study the market and see if it could handle a move to division I they only moved because NDSU forced their hand by moving and being successful. *This extra time they took did nothing for them but set them behind NDSU 5 years and they could have easily made the decision the same way back then emotionally with no logic or statistics or plan to back it up.

NDSU and SDSU have gone about this whole move to division I the right way. *UND has no clue what they are doing.

To quote Sambini:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

I will believe UND is committed to going DI (and do it the right way) only when Kupchella is gone. He has (and continues to) shown a complete lack of vision and leadership on this issue and in the process destroyed the one of the best rivalries in the country, IMO.

Craig

Mr._Bill
06-24-2006, 06:13 PM
While I hope that we stay with SDSU, this conference thing is every man for themselves. If you need to turn on your mother to into a conference, you do it. Waiting for und/usd is a very silly notion.

Likewise if SDSU gets a mid-con nod without ndsu, they will go in a minute. While it would be fun to play MT and MT State each year, the mid-con a much better long term fit for NDSU. Our basketball growth will be much better in the mid-con vs. the big sky because of our recreuting areas and locations, and football will be just fine in the Great West with some of the new additons, including und.

JJ_Penn
06-24-2006, 06:13 PM
SUU might want UVSC but then again, one of the primary reasons Valpo got into the Horizon was because of Detroit's consistent objection to Oakland (again two very good sources told me many in the HL would have preferred Oakland) which was based on the fear of OU's admission to the better conference would hurt UD in recruiting. . .so SUU may be opposed to UVSC gaining membership - whereas ORU and to some degree Cetenary would welcome UTPA because of proximity without the fear of an instate recruiting rival in the same conference. . .who knows, but I do know that the source I referenced in earlier posts hadn't mentioned UVSC in our conversation so perhaps SUU isn't lobbying for them right now.

89rabbit
06-24-2006, 09:28 PM
SUU might want UVSC but then again, one of the primary reasons Valpo got into the Horizon was because of Detroit's consistent objection to Oakland (again two very good sources told me many in the HL would have preferred Oakland) which was based on the fear of OU's admission to the better conference would hurt UD in recruiting. . .so SUU may be opposed to UVSC gaining membership - whereas ORU and to some degree Cetenary would welcome UTPA because of proximity without the fear of an instate recruiting rival in the same conference. . .who knows, but I do know that the source I referenced in earlier posts hadn't mentioned UVSC in our conversation so perhaps SUU isn't lobbying for them right now.

I too have heard that Detroit didn't want Okland, like I said pure speculation on the Utah Valley thing. *I will point out that although Oklahoma and Texas are neighbors ORU really isn't close to Texas Pan American, and so is very far away from everyone except ORU and Centenary. *I still think UTPA is a long shot.

Tulsa to Brookings, SD - 654 miles
Tulsa to Edinburg, TX - 801 - miles
Tulsa to Fargo, ND - 840 - miles

Go State! *:)

P.S. *Centenary is the closest to UTPA - Shrevport to Edinburg - 581 miles

Bisonguy
06-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Some very interesting quotes in this article today in The Forum- Mid-Con match? (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=131188&section=Sports)

first, the bad news:

Tuesday in Chicago, presidents of the Mid-Con schools will focus their annual meeting on possible expansion. Even though a vote is not expected, it’s promising news for North Dakota State.

Just news- I don't believe this has been covered before:

Six of the seven presidents will have to vote in favor of expansion, meeting the league requirement of 75 percent, according to Douple. Valparaiso does not get a vote.

News that looks good for NDSU:

That’s why Fowler’s main concern with the Mid-Con’s current state of affairs deals with finances. After evaluating NDSU’s institutional report, she said she saw some positive figures – notably an $8 million athletic budget that equals Oral Roberts.

Western Illinois athletic director Tim Van Alstine said adding NDSU, SDSU and Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne would make the Mid-Con stronger.

“We need to give those three schools very strong consideration,” Van Alstine said. “We need to start changing the culture of our conference. We need to expect in men’s and women’s basketball that we have at least two teams in the NCAA tournament.

Fortunately for the Bison, Douple has been able to learn all about NDSU athletics.

“I don’t want to speak for other members,” Douple said. “But I can speak personally on what I feel for the president and athletic director. The school has two very good leaders, and that’s very, very positive.”

Douple remembers when Chapman and Taylor announced NDSU’s intention of moving from Division II to Division I.

“Both those fellows stood up to be counted,” Douple said. “They have stood their ground. They have had arrows shot at them and they are still standing. I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.”

Now, Taylor is just hoping for a chance to work with Douple again – this time as a member of the Mid-Con Conference.

“If they give us a chance, we will roll out the red carpet and make it impossible for them to say no,” Taylor said.

89rabbit
06-25-2006, 02:36 PM
From the Fort Wayne paper:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/14897256.htm

Schools battle for Mid-Con acceptance
IPFW, S.D. State, N.D. State vying for conference spot

By LaMond Pope
The Journal Gazette

One headline screams, “We’re where the action is!”

Another proclaims, “We’re the center of attention!”

IPFW hopes that when it comes to expansion in the Mid-Continent Conference, both phrases ring true.

With the impending departures of Chicago State and Valparaiso, the Mid-Con is on the lookout for new members. And IPFW, North Dakota State and South Dakota State are among the schools on the short list.

The topic of expansion will be discussed Tuesday when the Mid-Continent Council of Presidents meets in Chicago.

The conference has kept the expansion process quiet. According to Kristina Petersen, the Mid-Con’s director of media relations, no timetable has been set to add teams. But the thought is the conference would like new members by the start of the 2007-08 season.

It’s also uncertain how many teams the conference looks to add. IPFW athletic director Mark Pope said he’s not even sure what will be announced after the meeting, although indications are site visits would soon follow. Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple was in New Orleans this week attending the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics convention and could not be reached for comment. . . . (read more)

Bisonguy
06-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I hope NDSU submitted a big, glossy book instead of just filling out the questionaire. :-/

roadwarrior
06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
The Fargo Forum has a two full page spread on the Mid-Con in todays print edition of the paper. A map of the US with the current and prospective members, a history of the conference, a synopsis of each member school and the articles, and several pictures.

silkamilkamonico
06-25-2006, 03:33 PM
first, the bad news:

Tuesday in Chicago, presidents of the Mid-Con schools will focus their annual meeting on possible expansion. Even though a vote is not expected, it’s promising news for North Dakota State.

Very bad news.

IMHO, I can see this scenario playing out;

Mid Con doesn't give us an invite. It will be another 5+ years (in the least) before we get into a conference. At that point, I would expect all of our athletic programs to be considerably down, and basically starting all over again.

IMHO, the short term future of our athletics will be held in the hands of the Mid Con expansion committee. Unfortunately.

MplsBison
06-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I wonder what the chances are that only IPFW will be added?

kchats
06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Hopefully visits happen very soon after the meeting and an invite shortly thereafter. Like Gene Taylor says once they get to the campus there is no way NDSU doesn't get an invite. The BSA will be remodeled soon an architect has been hired the football offices are complete in the dome and the locker rooms are in construction. NDSU is a top notch academic institution. No way NDSU doesn't get invited if a visit happens. I'm more optimistic after reading these articles. Sounds like IPFW is worried they may be passed over by transitioning schools like NDSU and SDSU in that article. They really pound on being eligible in their responses.

89rabbit
06-25-2006, 07:35 PM

That could be bad news for the Sioux as one could imagine at some point that there will be some horse trading going on. *If ORU gets UTPA, one would think that SUU would want Utah Valley State. *That would take the Mid-Con to 12 and leave no room for UND until/unless someone left. *Pure speculation on my part and just a thought.

Ok, after reading the Forum article I think it might be likely that the Mid-Con may expand to 12 and have no room for UND or any other NCC school that is thinking about moving up.

kchats
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
That would be fine with me. I am happy with our division I partner SDSU. ;D

mikelsch
06-25-2006, 09:03 PM
first, the bad news:

Very bad news. *

IMHO, I can see this scenario playing out;

Mid Con doesn't give us an invite. *It will be another 5+ years (in the least) before we get into a conference. *At that point, I would expect *all of our athletic programs to be considerably down, and basically starting all over again.

IMHO, the short term future of our athletics will be held in the hands of the Mid Con expansion committee. *Unfortunately.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a formal invite on Tuesday. *I don't think it is customary for a conference to admit someone without taking a campus visit. *Thinking back to even the ACC expansion - Miami, VA Tech, and BC all had site visits before the were officially admitted (even though every knew they were shoo ins). *If the presidents say they want to take a closer look and visit your school, it's pretty much the same as pseudo-invite. *This is the result I expect to see after the Tuesday meeting.

MplsBison
06-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Ok, after reading the Forum article I think it might be likely that the Mid-Con may expand to 12 and have no room for UND or any other NCC school that is thinking about moving up.

It's possible that the Mid Con could take all the United Bball members (except for NJIT, obviously) and go to 12 members.

Then UND and USD would have to wait for someone else to leave the Mid Con before they could get in.

It's possible that WIU and Oakland could be the next to leave. Perhaps both to the Horizon if that conference gets raided by the A10 after the Big East split.

NDSUguy
06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Personally I believe that the Mid-Con will (although not during this meeting) expand as much as possible. I believe with the connection that SUU has to NDSU (via Great West and Commish Tom Douple) and NDSU's outstanding facilities and program it would be hard for the Mid-Con to deny us or SDSU.

The new commissioner of the Mid-Con, Tom Douple, seems to want to make the Mid-Con into something more than a temporary home for the lost and wounded of Division I. His goal is to make the Mid-Con into a serious mid-major conference. To do something like this the league HAS to have schools that will spend the $$$ needed to compete at a high level. I think that he secretly might be wanting to push out the weak schools (getting rid of Chicago St. was a HUGE plus) and make the league strong. NDSU and SDSU will allow for that.

I forsee a 10 team league with NDSU and SDSU in the mix. I also believe that sometime AFTER 2010, the league will expand to 12 teams and invite UND and USD. Adding these four teams will also allow the Great West to be VERY strong and it's future will be in good hands. :)

MplsBison
06-25-2006, 11:41 PM
I think that UTPA and IPFW are in because the Mid Con needs core members.

The rest, we'll see.

broke_back_mnt
06-26-2006, 03:30 AM
I like your vision NDSUguy. 8-)

RedRiver
06-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I believe that the Mid-Con will do it right and expand in numbers. They will select 4 or 5 schools at the Tuesday meeting and schedule site visits and then conduct a vote this fall. After this expansion the Mid-Con will be setup for years into the future.

BisonBacker
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Personally I believe that the Mid-Con will (although not during this meeting) expand as much as possible. *I believe with the connection that SUU has to NDSU (via Great West and Commish Tom Douple) and NDSU's outstanding facilities and program it would be hard for the Mid-Con to deny us or SDSU. *

The new commissioner of the Mid-Con, Tom Douple, seems to want to make the Mid-Con into something more than a temporary home for the lost and wounded of Division I. *His goal is to make the Mid-Con into a serious mid-major conference. *To do something like this the league HAS to have schools that will spend the $$$ needed to compete at a high level. *I think that he secretly might be wanting to push out the weak schools (getting rid of Chicago St. was a HUGE plus) and make the league strong. *NDSU and SDSU will allow for that. *

I forsee a 10 team league with NDSU and SDSU in the mix. *I also believe that sometime AFTER 2010, the league will expand to 12 teams and invite UND and USD. *Adding these four teams will also allow the Great West to be VERY strong and it's future will be in good hands. * :)

USD won't be going DI due to $$$$$
und will be scrambling becuse of $$$$$
So don't be holding your breath on USD to the Mid-Con or und for that matter. They are not a shoe in into DI, if the $$$$ and conference issues are still there in a year we will see what kind of leadership they have. I'm betting it will still look like a three ring circus led by the clown kuppy.

BisonBacker
06-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I believe that the Mid-Con will do it right and expand in numbers. *They will select 4 or 5 schools at the Tuesday meeting and schedule site visits and then conduct a vote this fall. *After this expansion the Mid-Con will be setup for years into the future.
I agree with this assessment.

TaTonka_31
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I am very hopeful that the Mid-Con will expand with NDSU included, but an alternative must be contemplated. As has been discussed is a move to D1-A in football and petition a conference like the WAC. I am in the corner that thinks D1-A in football would be bad for NDSU because of being shut out by the BSC rankings year in and year out. Expansion of the GWFC with UND included seems like a good home for the football programs but where would basketball end up?

As an alternative, we would have to consider putting most of the old NCC teams back together as a D1 conference. I know this gets a lot of groans from most people, but it makes sense for these schools in the region that have outgrown D2. For basketball the big downside would be no automatic bid for quite a few years, but a very good basketball conference could eventually be developed. NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, UMSC, Mankato, Duluth are all natural rivals that somewhere down the road should be D1 anyway. If Mid-Con falls through, it might as well be sooner rather than later.

silkamilkamonico
06-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a formal invite on Tuesday. *I don't think it is customary for a conference to admit someone without taking a campus visit. *Thinking back to even the ACC expansion - Miami, VA Tech, and BC all had site visits before the were officially admitted (even though every knew they were shoo ins). *If the presidents say they want to take a closer look and visit your school, it's pretty much the same as pseudo-invite. *This is the result I expect to see after the Tuesday meeting.

I must be way out of the loop then. I was getting the impression from this board, that we would find out after the Mid Con discussion at the end of June where exactly our stance was with the Mid Con. Say we don't get the invite because they want visit campuses or whatever. Then what? We wait another year, when they meet next June? Do they meet later in the summer? Say they want to see our campus, do they visist it later in the summer, and then let us know at the time they visit? Or do they have to have a meeting?

I was looking forward to Tuesday, considering I thought we would know where our stance was with Mid Con! Now I'm getting the impression that nobody knows when they will expand, or announce the schools that they will be inviting anyways.

IowaBison
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
It all depends on how agressive the Mid-Con is.

Are they going to add schools for '06-'07? Schedules are already made up, but it is not possible....

It's rather serendipitous that Chicago State disappeared isn't it-ie [insert IPFW here]

Otherwise they need to make their decision prior to scheduling '07-'08 which would give them until October

Regardless, IPFW is in, UTPA is probably as well

Sounds like SDSU and NDSU with their reputation, Great West Football teams, and crappy geography make the cut a little later

add UVSU for a travel partner for SUU

whalah! The Mid-Con version 15.

89rabbit
06-26-2006, 09:16 PM

I must be way out of the loop then. *I was getting the impression from this board, that we would find out after the Mid Con discussion at the end of June where exactly our stance was with the Mid Con. *Say we don't get the invite because they want visit campuses or whatever. *Then what? *We wait another year, when they meet next June? *Do they meet later in the summer? *Say they want to see our campus, do they visist it later in the summer, and then let us know at the time they visit? *Or do they have to have a meeting?

I was looking forward to Tuesday, considering I thought we would know where our stance was with Mid Con! *Now I'm getting the impression that nobody knows when they will expand, or announce the schools that they will be inviting anyways.

When the Mid-Con's Tom Douple was on KVHT back on May 24th he said that he expected the process to be over by the end of summer. *He mentioned that the last time the Mid-Con expanded it took about 2 months. *That is lightning fast compared to some conferences that we have delt with in the past. *I think some posters got very excited and thought that tomorrow was going to be "the" day. *They raised the level of expectation far beyond what was reasonable.

As has been reported the next step after Tuesday will more then likely be site visits. *It would be prudent of the Mid-Con to at least send a delegation to see any and all schools that they might be considering before they vote on admission to their conference, don’t ya think? *I personally am very optimistic that both NDSU and SDSU will be selected for site visits by the Mid-Con. That will be good news indeed! 8-)

89rabbit
06-26-2006, 09:20 PM
It all depends on how agressive the Mid-Con is.

Are they going to add schools for '06-'07? *Schedules are already made up, but it is not possible....

It's rather serendipitous that Chicago State disappeared isn't it-ie [insert IPFW here]

Otherwise they need to make their decision prior to scheduling '07-'08 which would give them until October

In the same interview Tom said that expansion would be for '07-'08.

BlueLiner
06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
The Mid-Con is a one school NCAA basketball conference. *Why would the seven remaining Mid-Con schools want to split that NCAA money with more schools than they need? *

I can only see the Mid-Con going to eight schools which means IPFW will get the invite. *Eight schools spliting the NCAA money means more per school than 12 schools. *If the Mid-Con does go to 10 schools, I see Utah Valley St. and Texas Pan Am getting the nod due to travel partner situation with current Mid-Con schools.

I know there are other conferences with 12 schools that also only get one bid per conference, Southland for example, but they are much closer together.

bincitysioux
06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
The Mid-Con is a one school NCAA basketball conference. *Why would the seven remaining Mid-Con schools want to split that NCAA money with more schools than they need? *

I can only see the Mid-Con going to eight schools which means IPFW will get the invite. *Eight schools spliting the NCAA money means more per school than 12 schools. *If the Mid-Con does go to 10 schools, I see Utah Valley St. and Texas Pan Am getting the nod due to travel partner situation with current Mid-Con schools.

I know there are other conferences with 12 schools that also only get one bid per conference, Southland for example, but they are much closer together.

I think UTPA is a wildcard. The only thing they offer to the entire conference is core member status, which is indeed important in the Mid-Con's situation. The only two schools in particular that would benefit from the geography would be Oral Roberts and Centenary, and it would still be quite a jaunt for both of them. NDSU & SDSU offer far more both institutionally and athletically than do any of the other schools that are seeking membership. They also have the GWFC factor working in their favor, if it is true that Douple wants to expand on the Mid-Con/GWFC relationship. I think the biggest draw back working against the SU's, even moreso than geography, could be that it is known fact that they, especially NDSU, has their sights set on the Big Sky. A conference that is desperately looking for stablity may be reluctant to add schools that they feel would only be using the Mid-Con as a spring-board to better things.

sambini
06-26-2006, 10:57 PM
IF THEY OFFER WE WILL GO.

Hammersmith
06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
The Mid-Con is a one school NCAA basketball conference. *Why would the seven remaining Mid-Con schools want to split that NCAA money with more schools than they need?
At the very least, some schools in the Mid-Con want to get a regular at-large bid in addition to the autobid. I suspect Douple feels the same way, but at least one AD has gone on the record:

“We need to give those three schools (IPFW, NDSU, SDSU) very strong consideration,” Van Alstine (WIU AD) said. “We need to start changing the culture of our conference. We need to expect in men’s and women’s basketball that we have at least two teams in the NCAA tournament.
I hope that AD has some pull with his president.

BlueLiner
06-27-2006, 12:43 AM
The Mid-Con is a one school NCAA basketball conference. *Why would the seven remaining Mid-Con schools want to split that NCAA money with more schools than they need?
At the very least, some schools in the Mid-Con want to get a regular at-large bid in addition to the autobid. *I suspect Douple feels the same way, but at least one AD has gone on the record:

“We need to give those three schools (IPFW, NDSU, SDSU) very strong consideration,” Van Alstine (WIU AD) said. “We need to start changing the culture of our conference. We need to expect in men’s and women’s basketball that we have at least two teams in the NCAA tournament.
I hope that AD has some pull with his president.

All mid major conferences want to get two or more teams into the NCAA. But that's easier said than done.

kchats
06-27-2006, 01:22 AM
I believe NDSU's administration is becoming keenly aware of the actual level of interest the Big Sky Conference has in them for membership. I have always advocated that once in a conference NDSU will do whatever they can to improve themselves and help improve the conference. I don't see NDSU jumping from the Mid Con if offered to join the Big Sky. What good would that do and why would NDSU do that to the conference that gave them a home for their sports? The Big Sky has really showed no interest whatsoever in NDSU and they made that perfectly clear this spring when they went out of their way to inform the media that NDSU would not be considered for membership either by themselves or as a group. The Mid Con is currently the favorite of this poster.

JJ_Penn
06-27-2006, 01:30 AM
IMHO the Mid-Con needs to expand by more than one member to survive let alone thrive, which means a 12 team two division scenario makes the most sense, especially financially, and why adding UTPA makes more sense than it seems, giving Centenary someone much closer as a travel partner and saving all the current members $$$ in travel costs not to mention eventual core member status. If only IPFW is added I think the current members like Oakland and UMKC that consistently seek to get out of the league would be far less content than if a two division conference became a reality.

BisonMav
06-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Got to listen to Miles on PA & Dubay today. He would make a great radio personality. Miles said he believes the Mid-Con to announce visits per tomorrow's meeting. That was this morning, so I can't remember anything else, but seems he mentioned a few other points. Anyone else listen this morning?

RedRiver
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
WDAY reported the following on late sports last night related to the Mid-Con meeting.
- purpose will be to reduce the short list of applicants to a recommended list for expansion
- they will not announce any results/actions from the meeting until Wednesday morning.

89rabbit
06-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Highlights from the Argus Leader story on today's Presidents meeting:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060627/SPORTS0202/606270322/1002

Mid-Con presidents meet today
Expansion talks once again on agenda

Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com
June 27, 2006

As the remaining presidents of the Mid-Continent Conference meet today at a hotel in Chicago to decide the league's fate, South Dakota State's future could be on their agenda.

SDSU and North Dakota State are among a group of schools that the Mid-Continent is considering for potential expansion.

Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple, who spent last week at the Collegiate Commissioners Association meetings, said on June 16 that information about SDSU and NDSU had been given to the league's presidents.

"It's on the agenda to discuss expansion," Douple said. "We're still gathering up information and doing our evaluation. ... And it's a time, too, when some folks have gotten to (the information) and some have not. There's just a lot of things to try and get in their hands before the meeting." . *. *. *(read more)

89rabbit
06-27-2006, 01:14 PM
From the Tulsa World:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=060627_Sp_B1_Addin3380_0

Conference questions

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer *
6/27/2006 *

Two schools are leaving the Mid-Continent,which leaves ORU and the rest of the league pondering the future. NCAA Tournament berths are at stake as conference leaders look for replacements. *
Adding members would strengthen position
Losing two schools in a 28-day span raised questions about the future of the Mid-Continent Conference. *

Scattered over three time zones, is it coming apart at the seams? Is it time for Oral Roberts University to look for another conference? *

"I don't see any reason for alarm," said ORU athletic director Mike Carter. "There are other schools that can be added. I think the Mid-Con is going to be stable." *. *. *.

Without replacements, league membership would drop to seven by 2007, with only six core members -- the bare minimum to retain a conference's automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament. *

Centenary, the league's seventh member, won't be considered for core purposes until completing its fifth year of Mid-Con participation in 2008. *

Also at stake are the Mid-Con's automatic berths in baseball, men's tennis and men's and women's track and field. The league could have only five participating members in each sport by 2007 -- one less than required to retain an automatic bid in those sports. *

NCAA access is the primary reason the Mid-Con and most other mid-major conferences were formed in the first place. *

The baseball issue is of utmost importance to ORU, which has made nine straight NCAA appearances by winning the Mid-Con's postseason tournament. *

League presidents are expected to start the process of expansion when they convene Tuesday in Chicago, chaired by ORU president Richard Roberts. *

The presidents will examine information submitted by six schools seeking full membership -- Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Utah Valley State, Longwood (Va.) University and Texas-Pan American. *

Dallas Baptist is a potential associate member in baseball -- the school's only Division I sport -- but will field a men's basketball team for the upcoming season. Central Arkansas, recently admitted to the Southland Conference, also seeks associate membership in some sports. *

There is strong support within the league to add Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State and South Dakota State, although the latter two are provisional Division I members, not eligible for the Mid-Con postseason tournament until 2009. *

There seems to be little enthusiasm for Texas-Pan American, situated so far south (Edinburg, Texas) that it is nearer to Mexico City than Tulsa. *

No up and down votes are likely Tuesday, but site teams could be formed to evaluate the candidates. The presidents are expected to consider every possibility -- up to growing into two six-team divisions. *

"Every option is on the table," said Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple. *. *. *. *(read more)

IowaBison
06-27-2006, 01:57 PM
First time I've seen Longwood included, not that they have a fiddler's fart of a chance.

Wyoherdman
06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know what time today the meeting will be over and an announcement made?

89rabbit
06-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know what time today the meeting will be over and an announcement made?

WDAY reported last night that no announcement would be made until Wed.

IowaBison
06-27-2006, 02:24 PM

Hoping for a leak!

Hammersmith
06-27-2006, 02:35 PM
From the Tulsa World:

Conference questions

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer *
6/27/2006 *

The presidents will examine information submitted by six schools seeking full membership -- Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Utah Valley State, Longwood (Va.) University and Texas-Pan American. *

I know that our basketball and soccer conferences have always been considered temporary, but that list includes 5 of the 6 schools in the UBC and 5 of the 8 schools in the USC. I think Mr. Buning had better make some quick phone calls if he'd like to take advantage of these ready-made scheduling alliances before they implode(possibly), Wednesday morning.

89rabbit
06-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Hoping for a leak!

Me too! :D

TheBisonator
06-27-2006, 10:02 PM

Hoping for a leak!

Me too! *:D

What would you want to go and piss your pants for??? ;D

BisonInTexas
06-28-2006, 12:16 AM
From the Tulsa World:

Conference questions

There seems to be little enthusiasm for Texas-Pan American, situated so far south (Edinburg, Texas) that it is nearer to Mexico City than Tulsa. *

I would agree about Texas-Pan American - it is 676 miles from Centenary (Shreveport, LA), which hardly makes it a good travel partner.

To illustrate the point:

distance from Edinburg, TX (UTPA) to Tulsa, OK (ORU) : 752 miles
distance from Tulsa, OK to Fargo, ND : 838 miles

Bottom line: Texas is BIG.

Craig

GoBison127
06-28-2006, 12:16 AM
I just saw president Joe Chapman at the Chamber of Commerce meeting at the Radisson tonight. He seemed in great spirits so I guess that is a good sign so far. I know that is probably reading into things a little too much right now but I figure he hasn't heard anything negative yet. I wanted to pull him aside and ask him if he heard anything yet but he escaped before I had a chance....this suspense is killing me....

DIBISON
06-28-2006, 12:31 AM
WDAY TV reported tonight again that the MidCon will not have any official announcement until tommorrow morning. Possible outcome would be that the MidCon selected the schools which will be visited by a conference team. If selected for a visit it usually means that membership will follow. Hopefully there will be some news of substance by tommorrow noon.

kchats
06-28-2006, 03:31 AM
Too bad the leaker from the CIA that leaks about everything he/she can doesn't work for the Mid Con, the story would be in the NY Times already and we would know who will be admitted prior to the presidents of the Mid Con. ;)