PDA

View Full Version : Funding DI

mikelsch
07-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Nice AP summary article regarding NDSU, SDSU, and UND's attempts to fund the move to DI
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/state/15159743.htm

"The jump to Division I was a little bit more than $2 million for North Dakota State University. Before its reclassification in 2003-2004, the athletics budget was $6.2 million. Last year's budget was $8.8 million, while this year's is expected to be $9.5 million, NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said.

The money for NDSU's budget increase has come from a variety of sources. The university has increased its support from $1 million before the move to $2 million. Funding from Teammakers, a booster organization, has doubled from $750,000 to $1.5 million.

While there is not a specific student athletic fee at NDSU, the amount from student fees allocated to athletics has risen from $650,000 to $900,000."

Dakota
07-31-2006, 09:14 PM
We've only just begun! Once we get the entire State of ND, the greater region, and our true alumni base on board there will no stopping us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bisonguy
07-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Very interesting that there wasn't already a vote, at least of interest, of the students raising activity fees, especially with UND's numbers of an additional $1MM for a DI move coming from student fees.

sambini
08-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks GREENIE for the insight. And yes we are always looking for NEW TEAMMAKERS.

mebison
08-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Very interesting that there wasn't already a vote, at least of interest, of the students raising activity fees, especially with UND's numbers of an additional $1MM for a DI move coming from student fees.

I think it says they currently get $1MM from student fees, but doesn't say how much it might increase.

tony
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Hehe, only the Herald would say that $3.3 million is a "little bit more" than $2 million and use SDSU's increase as a benchmark when SDSU is only halfway to fully funding DI. Of course, the Herald still reports UND's athletic budget as $10 million when it's actually $7 million.

OTOH, holy cow, $1 million more in institutional support at NDSU? Even if that is counting the $350k that got redirected from the activity fee, that's not something I like to see... I hope we can get that number down, but it doesn't seem likely. Better to know the damage and work to get it fixed, I guess.

BTW, both bisonguy and mebison are right - UND currently hits the students up for $1 million, but they also want to hit them up for another $1 million.

BisonBacker
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Hehe, only the Herald would say that $3.3 million is a "little bit more" than $2 million and use SDSU's increase as a benchmark when SDSU is only halfway to fully funding DI. Of course, the Herald still reports UND's athletic budget as $10 million when it's actually $7 million.

OTOH, holy cow, $1 million more in institutional support at NDSU? Even if that is counting the $350k that got redirected from the activity fee, that's not something I like to see... I hope we can get that number down, but it doesn't seem likely. Better to know the damage and work to get it fixed, I guess.

BTW, both bisonguy and mebison are right - UND currently hits the students up for $1 million, but they also want to hit them up for another $1 million.

If that really happens can you say decreased enrollment? Its already just a matter of time before NDSU surpasses them and if that increase for them becomes reality its surely going to hurt enrollment.

IowaBison
08-01-2006, 03:52 PM
just put it in perspective bisonbacker.

students look at total cost of going to school.

the disparity in state funding, which is around $500/student between the schools, will cover the difference.

IT'S TIME TO REFORM HIGHER ED FUNDING!!!!

AAAAHHH!!!!

BisonBacker
08-01-2006, 04:09 PM
just put it in perspective bisonbacker.

students look at total cost of going to school.

the disparity in state funding, which is around $500/student between the schools, will cover the difference.

IT'S TIME TO REFORM HIGHER ED FUNDING!!!!

AAAAHHH!!!!

I agree with you on that point 100%

BisonBacker
08-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Isn't it funny too how a while back so many of the whioux backers were all over NDSU and saying the school was going to be "placing the burden on the students" but at NDSU that did not happen. Now at whiouxville they are doing just what they claimed we would do. You can't make this sh!t up and it's just way to dang funny. All the whioux's in whiouxville won't be having a merry christmas because thier backs are going to be to sore from the burden of funding the DI move ;D ;D ;D ;D

broke_back_mnt
08-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Im a little uncomfortable with the $1M from the university too, but that could easily go down with better BB & FB attendance, more gurantee money, and easier travel (conference), share of NCAA BB money (conference), so the future looks good for enhanced department revenues and reduced institutional support.

mebison
08-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Does anyone have similar numbers for other programs? *What is the institutional and student athletic support at Montana, Minnesota, or U of Iowa? *Just curious if and when the cash flow turns the other way and athletics supports the institution.

Edit: Monitarily I mean. I know there's all sorts of arguments for name recognition and attracting students and so forth, but I mean something that specifically shows up on a balance sheet.

broke_back_mnt
08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
University of Montana was hurting a few years ago. They started bringing in DII teams, maybe NDSU was part of that, because gurantees were lower and they still sold out, and getting DI-A games.

IowaBison
08-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Does anyone have similar numbers for other programs? What is the institutional and student athletic support at Montana, Minnesota, or U of Iowa? Just curious if and when the cash flow turns the other way and athletics supports the institution.

Edit: Monitarily I mean. I know there's all sorts of arguments for name recognition and attracting students and so forth, but I mean something that specifically shows up on a balance sheet.

you can find insitutional support pretty easily, student contributions you'd have to dig.

(i'm sure google will lead you to the answer)

Herd_Mentality
08-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Ah heck...let's just everybody tuition waivers! ;D ;D ;D