PDA

View Full Version : Is the Big Sky the right choice?

Bisonguy
02-16-2003, 05:50 AM
Okay, I know that NDSU is trying to get into the Big Sky now, but is it really the right fit for NDSU? After reading a few old posts, I stumbled across tony's reference to the NDSU Alumni Map, (http://www.ndsualumni.com/Maps/National/webmap.htm)and looked at the numbers in each state. The Big Sky states do have more alumni than the Gateway states, but the vast majority of NDSU alums live in ND or MN. The Gateway schools are much closer to Fargo and the Minneapolis areas. Here are the distances from Fargo to the schools in the Big Sky and Gateway conferences:

Big Sky

Eastern Washington(Spokane, WA) -1148.76 miles
Idaho State(Pocatello, ID) -1088.05 miles
Montana(Missoula, MT) -951.78 miles
Montana State(Bozeman, MT) -750.37 miles
Northern Arizona(Flagstaff, AZ) -1724.77 miles
Portland State(Portland, OR) -1499.96 miles
Sacramento St. (Sacramento, CA) -1895.76 miles
Weber State (Ogden, UT) -1215.94 miles

Total miles -10275.39
Average miles-1284.42

Gateway

Illinois State(Normal, IL) -693.37 miles
Indiana State (Terre Haute, IN) -880.06 miles
Northern Iowa (Cedar Falls, IA) -448.69 miles
Southern Illinois(Carbondale,IL) -940.12 miles
SW Missouri State(Springfield,MO) -773.61 miles
Western Illinois(Macomb, IL) -711.35 miles
Western Kentucky(Bowling Green,KY) -1059.39 miles
Younstown State(Youngstouwn, OH) -1052.88 miles

Total miles -6559.47
Average miles-819.93

The mileage from the Twin Cities will slant even greater towards the Gateway. The Gateway has four schools that are a comfortable roadtrip from Fargo(in my perspective, less than 800 miles), but the Big Sky has only one.

Bison_Kent
02-16-2003, 11:24 AM
I would agree with you whole heartedly if the Gateway was an all sport conference. But we would have to find a second conference for everything besides football if we go to the Gateway. I am not sure which conference that would be. It could be the Missouri Valley, the Mid-Continent, or Horizen just looking at geography. The Missouri Valley would be the top choice for non-football athletics since it has 5 or 6 of the 8 Gateway conference teams but this conference already has 10 teams in it plus is probably the top mid-major conference in the country for basketball. It is doubtful they would want to expand to 12 teams especially teams coming from Division II. The Mid-Continent would probably the next choice since W. Illinois (Gateway member) is part of it but it has teams in Utah, Illinios, Indiana, Missouri, Louisana, Michigan, and Oklahoma. I am not sure but there wasn't any team in this conference is that close and could be a natural rival.

The Big Sky offers more possibilities since it offers football and basketball. It would create better rivalires in all sports and not just football. Your point is well taken on football only but I think we need to look at all sports in decieding on a conference.

siouxrock
02-16-2003, 03:55 PM
btu the gateway isnt as powerful as the big sky i think

Bison_Kent
02-16-2003, 04:26 PM
BisonGuy,

In looking at your map, it looks like there are many alumni in the Phoenix, AZ county. I am sure there would be many of these that would love to go to Northern Arizona for the once every two year game in Flagstaff against N. Arizona. There are also good numbers in the Yellowstone, MT area which is close to Bozeman & Montana St. Many in Seattle that would probably travel to the Spokane area for E. Washington. Also, many in the northern California area that would go to the Cal. St.-Sac. game.

I know there are many alumni in the Twin Cities area and from the map many in the Chicago area but there are just as many in these western cities.

As far as traveling goes, 800 miles is a long trip for driving. It would take over 13 hours to drive this if driving straight through. I think most fans would only drive if the trip is 600 miles (10 hours) or less to go to the game. Otherwise, a charter plane could be set up to fly to the game's city. If enough fans can be put together, it would probably be less then flying commercial from Fargo.

Divison I is going to be more traveling for road games then we were used to in the NCC no matter what conference we go to. That is a given. Once we get over 600 miles, in my opinion, most fans will fly for a road game or less the trip is for something else.

For me, I would rather take my vacation in a Big Sky city then a Gateway city. There are many national parks and scenic sites to see in a week long trip to a particular city.

Plus we only have a history with Northern Iowa from the Gateway. We have a history with Montana, Montana St, Weber St, and Northern Arizona with more then just one meeting.

Bisonguy
11-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Interesting.

ALPHAMALE
11-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Its fun to look back on how we viewed this move in the past. The one thing that I can see is the word "choice" when used to discuss conference affiliation was used pretty liberally. "Choice" never had anything to do with conference affiliation for the SU's. I think the UXD's will find that out shortly....