chuckles
12-04-2006, 12:20 AM
looks like ...

• Tostitos BCS National Championship: Ohio State vs. Florida

• Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: Boise State vs. Oklahoma

• FedEd Orange Bowl: Louisville vs. Wake Forest

• Allstate Sugar Bowl: Notre Dame vs. LSU

• Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. USC

thoughts....expecially on the Ohio/Flordia game?

RodentiaX1
12-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I think the BCS is done. Another year with contraversy. It looks like people voted not for who they thought were the best two teams, but for who they wanted in the championship game. I do not think that the BCS will last much longer.

The coach from Florida came out and said that he favored a playoff. I think you will see more people calling for a playoff before long.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-04-2006, 12:45 AM
The B(C)S is struggling. This most recent incarnation of the formula is an absolute joke. If the polls are a straight 2/3 of the formula like it is, then as happened this year the pollsters will just vote for the game they want to see instead of the best team. The pollsters just didn't want to see a rematch so that's how they voted. Since the Division 1-A presidents will never vote for a playoff system I think the best we can hope for is a bowl + 1 system. We'd have #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 games in the BCS bowls and then a championship game between the winners. By the way Florida, nothing says championship football team like playing the #91 ranked team in 1-AA (Western Carolina) in November.

kchats
12-04-2006, 01:20 AM
How does Notre Dame get into the BCS? They lost to USC and Michigan and played a bunch of weak games too. Army, Navy etc. I hate the preference Notre Dame gets just because they are Notre Dame.

BraxtonT
12-04-2006, 01:36 AM
How does Notre Dame get into the BCS? *They lost to USC and Michigan and played a bunch of weak games too. *Army, Navy etc. *I hate the preference Notre Dame gets just because they are Notre Dame.

I agree that Notre Dame is not that good, but they said on the FOX telecast that no conference can have three teams in the BCS. Two teams in the BCS top ten, Wisconsin (Big Ten) and Auburn (SEC), couldn't get in, so they took the next two available teams. It's just more BS in the BCS.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-04-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure how they got in. Wisconsin was ranked ahead of them and they got snubbed, so I'm going to check on this.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Here is how the 10 BCS teams are selected:

Autobids to winners of ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, SEC

This is where it gets a little funky.

Teams in the top 6 of the final BCS rankings and Notre Dame, should they finish in the top 10 or win nine games qualify for consideration for BCS selection. Also, I believe that any undefeated team that finishes the season with a ranking higher than that of the automatic qualifier with the lowest BCS ranking is qualified for selection. No conference shall have more than two representatives in the BCS. Amongst the teams qualified for BCS selection there is a rotating pecking order from amongst whom the bowls may select teams. This is an oversimplification and might no longer be entirely accurate now that the BCS has expanded from 8 to 10 teams starting this year. I'm guessing it is that the top 6 has expanded to the top 8.

RodentiaX1
12-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Wisconsin didn't get a BCS bid because of a BCS rule that only two teams from a conference can get in the BCS. The BCS needs to die, Die, DIE...

I think the non-BCS schools would vote for a playoff, and there are may be enough BCS schools that feel shafted to get enough to vote for a tournament. Once I-A (or whatever the name of the monent is) starts a tournament, people will wonder how they ever did without it.

If I count right, there are 65 schools in the BCS conferences (not counting the independents), and 50 in the non-BCS conferences. If all the non-BCS schools voted for a playoff, they would need to get 8 BCS schools to favor a tournament to have a majority favoring a tournament. I wonder when someone will make a formal proposal to the NCAA.

Now, it's possible that some non-BCS schools could oppose a tournament, if they feel that the bowls would die, and they would be shut out from the tournament. It's also possible that the BCS schools could revolt, and form their own sub-division of D-I.

I think this year is another nail in the coffin for the BCS. I could see a tournament within 5 years. It might be a small tournament at first, but I could see it expanding.

NDSUFREAK10
12-04-2006, 02:03 AM
How does Notre Dame get into the BCS? *They lost to USC and Michigan and played a bunch of weak games too. *Army, Navy etc. *I hate the preference Notre Dame gets just because they are Notre Dame.

I agree that Notre Dame is not that good, but they said on the FOX telecast that no conference can have three teams in the BCS. *Two teams in the BCS top ten, Wisconsin (Big Ten) and Auburn (SEC), couldn't get in, so they took the next two available teams. *It's just more BS in the BCS.

Because, my friends, Notre Dame is Nortre Dame. Everybody knows them and they bring in ratings.

GO MAZE AND BLUE!!!

2006gwfcchamps
12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
How about a +3 system?

IE, the big 4 bowls +3 bowls that would be for a 4 team playoff.

#1 and #4 would get into one of the games and #2 and #3 would get into the other game and then the winners would play each other.

If you did that, here's what the BCS would've looked like:

1 v 4 - Ohio State v Louisiana State
2 v 3 - Florida v Michigan

Rose - USC v Virginia Tech (Wisconsin)
Orange - Wake v Louisville
Fiesta - Oklahoma v Boise
Sugar - Notre Dame v West Virginia (Auburn)

I put Wisco and Aub in parenthesis because of the no more than 2 from 1 conference rule. If that rule was expanded to 3, then Wisc and Aub could go and I think those would be much more natural match ups.

Herd_Mentality
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Ohio State .... Boise State

It's still a travesty that a team can go perfect in 1A and not get a shot at the title. Then again, had we beat the Gophers I guess we'd be in the same boat.

IowaBisonToo
12-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Saw Urban Meyer yesterday on ESPN. *Even he thinks the BCS will die - just not sure when. *He thought a playoff system would be implemented someday but didn't give any more thoughts than that. *Sure hope he's right because, even though a OSU/UM game might not be as "sexy" to the country as a whole, it's the way it should have been and UM got jobbed. *Nothing against UF but, how can a team go down in the standings when they haven't even played a game? *This is the biggest draw-back of the Big10 finishing the regular season before Thanksgiving. It gives conferences like the ACC, SEC, Big12 and Pac10 exposure right up until the time they pick for the bowl teams.

Don't see why the big schools can't pull up their sack and play more than 13 games a season when the champion in the FCS ends up playing something like 14 games a season - less depth but end up playing more games than the BCS champ. *What a bunch of puu . . . I mean kittys!

2006gwfcchamps
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I actually think it was the (most possible) correct decision.

I don't see Michigan going more than 10-2 with Florida's schedule.

56BISON73
12-04-2006, 08:12 PM
They didnt vote FLA#2. The voted against Michigan and a rematch.

Wake Forrest in a BCS game. Give me a break. Another reason for BCS to die. PL

56BISON73
12-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Heres another reason for the BCS to go away.

The Harris Interactive poll which helps determine the outcome. Here is how some voted.

Ray Melick:
No. 1: Ohio State No. 2: Florida No. 3: Louisville No. 4: Michigan
Tim Neverett:
No. 1: Ohio State No. 2: Florida No. 3: USC No. 4: Michigan
Gene Ponti:
No. 1: Ohio State No. 2: Florida No. 3: LSU No. 4: Michigan
Jim Walden:
No. 1: Florida No. 2: Ohio State No. 3: Michigan
Paul Zeise:
No. 1: Ohio State No. 2: Louisville No. 3: Florida No. 4: Michigan
Larry Keech:
No. 1: Ohio State No. 2: Boise State No. 3: Michigan No. 4: Wisconsin No. 5: Florida
Robert Lawless:
No. 1: Ohio State No. 2: Michigan No. 3: Wisconsin No. 4: Louisville No. 5: Flor

PL

IowaBison
12-04-2006, 08:50 PM
They didnt vote FLA#2. The voted against Michigan and a rematch.

And that's why the BCS must die.

Voting that way totally defeats the purpose of the BCS.

2006gwfcchamps
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
The purpose of the BCS was to get #1 and #2 to play each other.

The problem, of course, is that there are always more than 2 teams that can be widely considered the top 2.

But certainly not all 119 BS teams can be widely considered top 2.

So how many can? 4? 8? more?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
While the "Bowl + 1" system is still horribly flawed in my mind, it would also be significantly better than the current system. The advantage of this system is that it basically only involves one extra game and the rest of the BCS stays virtually unchanged, so it is easy and the presidents could very concievably vote for it. Still bad, but an improvement. I say we get the bowl + 1 and then continue lobbying for a playoff.

RodentiaX1
12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
The BCS is basically a 2-team playoff. +1 is a start, that makes it a 4-team playoff. I think that will improve things until a 8 team playoff takes place. The BCS is a farce. Michigan only dropped out of #2 because the pollsters balked at a rematch. Let's have a playoff and find ouot who really is best.

2006gwfcchamps
12-04-2006, 11:41 PM
I suppose you could also say Michigan had their chance when they played Ohio State?

ALPHAMALE
12-04-2006, 11:52 PM
I suppose you could also say Michigan had their chance when they played Ohio State?

Had their chance in front of a hostile crowd of 105,000 people that hate their guts? If that game was on neutral territory, Michigan wins.

Is there anybody that thinks that Florida goes into Columbus for that game and comes out with a victory? I doubt it.

And Notre Dame deserves a BCS game about as much as I deserve a night with Carmen Electra. Seriously, they got EMBARRASSED twice this season, once AT HOME. No way should they be in the BCS, the two other teams they played that are in the BCS showed that Notre Dame clearly didn't belong.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-05-2006, 01:18 AM
What is being discussed on this thread illustrates the achilles heal of the BCS: Michigan and Florida both deserve to play in the championship game. You can make a case either way and be right. Given the current set of circumstances I think the correct decision was made, but having said that the current set of circumstances is BS. How about Louisville and Boise State? I think they have a claim as well. 8 or 16 team playoff is what should be the goal, but expanding to 4 is a step in the right direction. I can't express enough my displeasure with this system.

Flintstone
12-05-2006, 01:33 AM
They need to have a playoff. *That's all there is to it. *I don't think Florida has a chance in hell against OSU. *In my opinion there are two teams that would have better than a 30% chance of beating them and they are Michigan and USC. *I don't think Florida has enough offense to keep up with them.

Also, other than the championship game, the BCS is all about the money. *Notre Dame is in because they played the 20th toughtest schedule in the nation, went 10-2 and their game will draw a larger audience than any of the other bowl games except for the championship game (The Rose will be close also). *You can hate Notre Dame all you want but you can't give a serious argument why any team that was left out of the BCS should be there instead of them.

Bisonguy
12-08-2006, 05:33 AM
I think the BCS is done. Another year with contraversy. It looks like people voted not for who they thought were the best two teams, but for who they wanted in the championship game. I do not think that the BCS will last much longer.

The coach from Florida came out and said that he favored a playoff. I think you will see more people calling for a playoff before long.

Bwahahahahahahahahaahahahahaaaa.

The controversy makes everyone talk about it. Can't buy better advertising than that.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-08-2006, 05:54 AM
The fact of the matter is that the presidents of these large 1-A teams would still rather have this crappy situation than a playoff because of the almighty dollar. Kind of sickening really.

56BISON73
12-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Also, other than the championship game, the BCS is all about the money. *Notre Dame is in because they played the 20th toughtest schedule in the nation, went 10-2 and their game will draw a larger audience than any of the other bowl games except for the championship game (The Rose will be close also). *You can hate Notre Dame all you want but you can't give a serious argument why any team that was left out of the BCS should be there instead of them. [/quote]

Wisconsin and Auburn even though ranked higher than ND couldnt play in a BCS game by vertue of the BCS rule that prohibits MORE than two teams from anyone conference playing in the BCS.
ND got there because they will put butts in the seats and their national following on TV. Nothing more. PL

2006gwfcchamps
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
What I think is funny is that if Michigan would have beat Ohio St. I don't think the voters would have had any problem giving Ohio St. a rematch. I've heard all the "experts" talk about this on ESPN before the game. I don't think people would have even questioned it. So how can Michigan go to Ohio St., only lose by 3, and not get a rematch? Doesn't make any sense to me or anyone else for that matter. It gets pretty old talking about it and after Ohio St. thumps Florida hearing everyone say how Michigan should have been there will get really old in a hurry. I agree with everyone else, the system needs to be changed.

I think the reasoning behind that is Ohio State was ranked number 1 the whole season.

Michigan was only ranked #2 ... after USC lost to Oregon State? (not sure)

56BISON73
12-09-2006, 02:23 AM
The problem is there are committed to the current system for 3-4 more years I believe. The only thing that I could possibly see is a modofication to a + 1.
PL

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Any system that is more inclusive than the current one would be an improvement, but I am not looking for anything significant anytime soon unfortunately.

RodentiaX1
12-09-2006, 03:21 AM
The +1 makes it a four team tournament. I think that will be the dam breaking, and a larger tournament will be inevitable after this.

sambini
12-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I really like the USC-MICHIGAN GAME IN THE ROSE BOWL. USC IS A VERY YOUNG TEAM. AND I SAW MICHIGAN PLAY AT NOTRE DAME. THERE DEFESEIVE FRONT 7 ARE VERY GOOD. THIS IS THE GAME I'M THE MOST INTERESTED IN.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 07:45 PM
It will probably be the best game out of the whole BCS. Ohio State is going to absolutely work Florida.

2006gwfcchamps
12-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I think Florida can win if they play their best game of the season.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 08:58 PM
If Reggie Nelson wears a green camouflage uniform so that none of the Ohio State players can see him and he can wreak even more havoc than normal, Florida has a chance. *Either that or if they put an NFL alumni team on the field. *Ohio State is going to mop the field with them.

2006gwfcchamps
12-09-2006, 09:38 PM
It's never that easy.

sambini
12-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Remember what happened to Florida the last time they were in the desert? Tommie Frazier and the HUSKERS destroyed them. Iknow this is a new regime etc.. But will history repeat itself. Also remember both teams have had a long layoff?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 11:39 PM
This game reminds me a lot of the 2001 Championship game when it was Miami (FL) against Ohio State and everyone was saying that Ohio State was going to have a tough time even staying with the 'Canes...and then Ohio State won. So while I realize that if Ohio State sits around tanning and drinking fruity cocktails for the next 50 days Florida can beat them, I just don't think Florida is that great. I know they won the SEC, which in many people's opinion (mine included) is the best conference in the country, but I just don't feel real confident in these Gators. Yes they're 12-1, but they could easily be 8-5. Yes, winning is winning, but I'm not impressed. Ohio State big.

Scooter
12-10-2006, 02:44 AM
This waiting three to four weeks to play a game is bull. *So, they wait for three weeks and we get the same thing that we get every year, *two offenses that are trying to kick the rust off of their shoes for a quarter. You can't tell me that the whole country wouldn't want to see the winner of the Ohio St- Florida game play the winner of Michigan- USC. They would make a bundle.

Just decide who the best eight teams are, make a playoff bracket, and send the others to all those stupid bowl games that everyone knows mean nothing if you absolutely have to have those bowl games. *It's not to flippin' hard, Division IA. *I'm so sick of these "participation ribbon" bowl games. Like anyone gives a shit about the Orville Reddenbacker.com bowl anyway. What do we have to do, wait until all those dumb asses that say that this is the way it's always been to die?

If you are 7-5 here's a news flash for you and your school- get better players, you don't deserve to play another game. *

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 03:31 AM
If you are 7-5 here's a news flash for you and your school- get better players, you don't deserve to play another game. *

I'm assuming this is in reference to teams being bowl eligible at 6-6, 7-5? Otherwise I don't understand this comment.

56BISON73
12-10-2006, 03:32 AM
This is good. LOL LOL PL

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/56174

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 03:39 AM
Can always count on the Onion for a good chuckle. I liked a couple years ago when they had a story about Major League Baseball folding because the Yankees acquired every player.

RodentiaX1
12-10-2006, 05:51 AM
Actually, the Onion article makes "sense", if you accept a major premise of BCS supporters. They claim that the regular season is essentially a giant tournament as it is, and that losing a regular season game knocks you out of the tournament. But Boise State didn't lose a game, and they are out. Louisville lost one, and they are out, but Florida lost one and they are in. If that's going to be your reasoning, than if anyone has the right to challenge OSU, it's Boise State. Either that, or just skip the game, and give the trophy to Ohio State.

TransAmBison
12-10-2006, 01:41 PM
This waiting three to four weeks to play a game is bull. *So, they wait for three weeks and we get the same thing that we get every year, *two offenses that are trying to kick the rust off of their shoes for a quarter. *You can't tell me that the whole country wouldn't want to see the winner of the Ohio St- Florida game play the winner of Michigan- USC. *They would make a bundle.

Just decide who the best eight teams are, make a playoff bracket, and send the others to all those stupid bowl games that everyone knows mean nothing if you absolutely have to have those bowl games. *It's not to flippin' hard, Division IA. *I'm so sick of these "participation ribbon" bowl games. *Like anyone gives a shit about the Orville Reddenbacker.com bowl anyway. *What do we have to do, wait until all those dumb asses that say that this is the way it's always been to die?

I can't believe what you are saying???!!!!!!! *I can hardly wait until the Orville Reddenbacker.com bowl each year! *It doesn't get any better than that! :)

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 01:46 PM
I know. I think it was played about two weeks ago. As far away from New Years Day as possible.

Scooter
12-12-2006, 02:43 AM

I'm assuming this is in reference to teams being bowl eligible at 6-6, 7-5? *Otherwise I don't understand this comment.

No, I meant 7-5 teams should be done for the year. *There are more than 30 teams this year that had a better than 7-5 record. *That's plenty of teams. *if you finish barely over .500 you need to get better players for next year and while you are looking, get out of the way so we can watch some good teams compete. *They shouldn't get to play in a post season bowl game. *There are to many frickin' bowl games that mean nothing. *6-6 teams, yeah, I know that is the minimum requirement. but that's exactly what I mean by stupid, just so we can say everyone got a chance, "Participation Ribbon" bowl games. *They are a joke and embarrassing to the NCAA.

No_Skill
12-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Why are there 128 bowl games? Money. If we as fans stop watching the Jiffy Lube Oil Change Bowl they will go away.

The only reason you have these games is because people watch them.

Scooter
12-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Why are there 128 bowl games? *Money. *If we as fans stop watching the Jiffy Lube Oil Change Bowl they will go away. *

Hell, I'm a huge college fan. *I know that I won't waste my time on 75% of these bowl games. *Frankly, I think that a lot of these games get watched because guys are bored and there is nothing else on. *Heaven forbid a guy would *actually do something with his wife and kids that doesn't involve the TV.

If these bowl games went away, "Jiffy lube" (who cares if it is actually a bowl game) will still be in business. *But most importantly, I wouldn't be subjected to a shitty game, and my oil change just may cost less. *Who do you think is really paying for the Jiffy Lube bowl game anyway?* It's the Jiffy Lube customers, not Jiffy Lube Corp. that pay this bill. *

sambini
12-13-2006, 04:18 AM
ARIZONA STATE- HAWAII THERE SHOULD BE SOME POINTS PUT UP IN THAT GAME.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Hawai'i QB Colt Brennan is the real deal. He isn't like Tommy Chang: some short little run-and-shoot QB who is purely a system product. He is legit and whenever he goes into the NFL draft he will be a Day one pick. Just my opinion though.

2006gwfcchamps
12-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Hawai'i QB Colt Brennan is the real deal. He isn't like Tommy Chang: some short little run-and-shoot QB who is purely a system product. He is legit and whenever he goes into the NFL draft he will be a Day one pick. Just my opinion though.

7TDs and 4 INTs while losing to Alabama and Oregon State and beating Pur-don't.

:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
That looks pretty close to a 2-to-1 TD/INT ratio to me for a guy playing on a team that is athletically overmatched against at least two of those teams. I think he has a year left before I can come out in the draft and two years of eligibility left, so I guess we'll see what happens the next couple years.

SDbison
12-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Why are there 128 bowl games? *Money. *If we as fans stop watching the Jiffy Lube Oil Change Bowl they will go away. *

I believe there are now 26 bowl games (I could be off by one or two). That means 52 DI-A (Bowl Subdivision) teams are in a bowl game. That is close to 50% of the 120 teams in DI-A (Bowl Subdivision).
No wonder the games are meaningless!

sambini
01-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Meaningless games tell that to BOISE STATE....

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
The think I really like about the Boise State win is the fact that all the experts on ESPN said there was zero chance of them beating Oklahoma. I thought Oklahoma was overrated most of the year, but great win.

RodentiaX1
01-03-2007, 03:57 AM
If these bowl games went away, "Jiffy lube" (who cares if it is actually a bowl game) will still be in business. *But most importantly, I wouldn't be subjected to a shitty game, and my oil change just may cost less. *Who do you think is really paying for the Jiffy Lube bowl game anyway?* It's the Jiffy Lube customers, not Jiffy Lube Corp. that pay this bill. *

Indirectly yes. But Jiffy Lube sponsoring a bowl game doesn't equate to higher prices on your oil change. Does Cloverdale Meats (really good hot dogs, btw) sponsoring Bison sports lead to higher prices when you buy hot dogs in the grocery store? Probably not, it's advertising. By sponsoring Bison sports, they hope to make more sales of meat. (I had one of their hot dogs at the NDSU - Wisc. Green Bay game - excellent and only $1.50) Likewise, by sponsoring a bowl game, Jiffy Lube is hoping that they will get increased business.

So, indirectly, the customers pay the cost of Jiffy Lube sponsoring a bowl game, not by paying more for oil changes, but by more people coming to Jiffy Lube instead of going to Valvoline. At least that's what Jiffy Lube hopes people will do, but that's true for every advertising campaign.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Nice win for Louisville over Wake Forest tonight. They could be a national title contender next year if Brian Brohm comes back, but the way the draft is shaping up I think he'd be smart to come out. Impressive growth for a team that almost lost its 1-A/FBS designation once upon a time.

sambini
01-03-2007, 10:28 PM
How do you folks feel about tonites game NOTRE DAME - LSU ?

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-03-2007, 11:52 PM
As much as I would like to see Notre Dame win this game, I think LSU is going to stomp them and JaMarcus Russell is going to have a draft coming-out party on his way to the #1 pick.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
As much as I would like to see Notre Dame win this game, I think LSU is going to stomp them and JaMarcus Russell is going to have a draft coming-out party on his way to the #1 pick.

LSU 41, Notre Dame 14. Jamarcus Russell 21-34, 332 yards, 2 TD, rush TD.

I do occaisionally get things right.

SDbison
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
So what position should Boise State be in? Could they have made it to the semifinal's or all the way to a real championship game? A playoff system would separate the true winning teams from the spoiled proped up teams like Notre Dame. So what, you throw 50% of the FBS teams into a bowl game (actually 31 bowl games now which means 62 teams out of 120 possible) and there are going to a few good games. Proves nothing but money is king. You should check out the a fox sports message board where its going about 20 to 1 against letting Notre Dame into a major bowl game every year. People are tired of the buy in crap. So how long will the fiasco continue. How long will teams deserving of being in the big games be locked out? People want to see the best teams playing, not the most popular. Maybe popularity is most important. If so they should start a new alliance of teams and they can host their own bowls call it the PBTS - Popular Bowl Team Series. Florida State, Florida, Miami, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, etc. always get in a bowl game. Gee, thats how it pretty much already is, year in and year out. Boring.

mikelsch
01-04-2007, 11:12 PM
My proposal for the bowl subdivision...

1. Keep all the current bowl games ---> they are nice incentives for all involved
2. Have a selection committeeselect the top 8 teams. They would use a combination of record, rankings, strength of schedule, etc (ala men's bball tourney).
3. Seed the top 8 and send them to the current 4 BCS bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange). Each of these games would be a national quarterfinal.
4. Add 2 semifinal games. These could be played at the BCS sites.
5. National championship game (currently known as the BCS championship game). Also could be played at one of the current BCS sites just like the current system. This would mean that 3 of 4 BCS sites would host 2 games --- rotate each year. Or could use 7 "BCS" sites, instead of the current 4 ---> then each site would only host 1 playoff game.

This plan would keep most of the current system intact. It would only add 2 games (semifinal games), and at most 2 more weeks to the current system. The most controversy would come from selecting the top 8 teams, dividing the extra money, and determining what venues would host the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-04-2007, 11:19 PM
This would be something of an improvement, but it is just not going to happen. Whether it maintains most of the current system, it still changes it and the presidents don't want to mess with the goose that lays the golden egg.

mikelsch
01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
The golden egg would get even bigger under my plan

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-04-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree and think that anything is better than current system. I would even be behind the "bowl + 1" system to get two extra teams involved, and that idea is admittedly inferior to the one you proposed. I'm not saying it is a bad idea: on the contrary I'm saying it is a great idea, just that unfortunately it won't happen.

sambini
01-05-2007, 01:45 AM
So what position should Boise State be in? *Could they have made it to the semifinal's or all the way to a real championship game? *A playoff system would separate the true winning teams from the spoiled proped up teams like Notre Dame. *So what, you throw 50% of the FBS teams into a bowl game (actually 31 bowl games now which means 62 teams out of 120 possible) and there are going to a few good games. *Proves nothing but money is king. *You should check out the a fox sports message board where its going about 20 to 1 against letting Notre Dame into a major bowl game every year. *People are tired of the buy in crap. *So how long will the fiasco continue. *How long will teams deserving of being in the big games be locked out? *People want to see the best teams playing, not the most popular. *Maybe popularity is most important. *If so they should start a new alliance of teams and they can host their own bowls call it the PBTS - Popular Bowl Team Series. *Florida State, Florida, Miami, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, etc. always get in a bowl game. *Gee, thats how it pretty much already is, year in and year out. *Boring. *
I would love to see a playoff. The money they would make would be huge. Holiday Madness... I just loved the BOISE STATE game it was outstanding. To think Boise was a JC at one time and a former 1aa member. But SD it all comes down to one thing money and thats why there are so many games. Now Lsu-Notre Dame was a game of men vs boys. It would be nice to see USC,LSU,OHIO STATE, BOISE etc in a playoff.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't forget Michigan, Louisville, Wake Forest. All played in BCS games this year.

sambini
01-06-2007, 10:26 PM
SD BISON if it is boring for you. Don't watch but the BOISE STATE- OU GAME WAS BORING. I watch these games because I LIKE COLLEGE FOOTBALL. We have a poll and pick the games etc.. There does need to be a change. But till it happens this is what we have. How do you folks see the BCS GAME on monday? BUCKEYES +++

Shawn-O
01-06-2007, 11:23 PM
So what position should Boise State be in? *Could they have made it to the semifinal's or all the way to a real championship game? *A playoff system would separate the true winning teams from the spoiled proped up teams like Notre Dame. *So what, you throw 50% of the FBS teams into a bowl game (actually 31 bowl games now which means 62 teams out of 120 possible) and there are going to a few good games. *Proves nothing but money is king. *You should check out the a fox sports message board where its going about 20 to 1 against letting Notre Dame into a major bowl game every year. *People are tired of the buy in crap. *So how long will the fiasco continue. *How long will teams deserving of being in the big games be locked out? *People want to see the best teams playing, not the most popular. *Maybe popularity is most important. *If so they should start a new alliance of teams and they can host their own bowls call it the PBTS - Popular Bowl Team Series. *Florida State, Florida, Miami, Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, etc. always get in a bowl game. *Gee, thats how it pretty much already is, year in and year out. *Boring. *
I would love to see a playoff. The money they would make would be huge. Holiday Madness... I just loved the BOISE STATE game it was outstanding. To think Boise was a JC at one time and a former 1aa member. But SD it all comes down to one thing money and thats why there are so many games. Now Lsu-Notre Dame was a game of men vs boys. It would be nice to see USC,LSU,OHIO STATE, BOISE etc in a playoff.

I'm a supporter of a playoff as well, always have been. With the one week between games, I think they may be setting the TV schedule up a four-team playoff within the next couple of years. Then maybe expand to eight down the road. They need to be careful to not diminish the regular season, because big time college football regular season is the best thing going in all of sports right now, again just my opinion.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-07-2007, 03:01 AM
SD BISON if it is boring for you. Don't watch but the BOISE STATE- OU GAME WAS BORING. I watch these games because I LIKE COLLEGE FOOTBALL. We have a poll and pick the games etc.. There does need to be a change. But till it happens this is what we have. How do you folks see the BCS GAME on monday? BUCKEYES +++

I think that Florida's defense is going to dominate this game. Marcus Thomas, Steven Harris, Ray McDonald and company on that defensive line are going to be all over Troy Smith and Reggie Nelson will make at least one gamebreaking play. I think it will be close because Florida is going to struggle to move the ball on Ohio State's 'D', but I think Florida pulls out a win that isn't nearly as close as the reasonable margin of victory would indicate.

Hammerhead
01-07-2007, 04:17 AM
One of the yahoos on ESPN thinks that all of the debate about which conferences are better would end if a playoff was in place. If you've been to the AGS site, you know that won't happen. Everybody in the top 4 or 5 FCS conferences thinks their's is the best. Of course, we all now the GWFC is the top dog. ;)

Bisonguy
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
O-H

Bisonguy
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
O-H
I-O!

Bisonguy
01-09-2007, 01:03 AM
O-H

Bisonguy
01-09-2007, 01:04 AM
O-H
Uh-Oh :-X

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-09-2007, 02:04 AM
I think that Florida's defense is going to dominate this game. *Marcus Thomas, Steven Harris, Ray McDonald and company on that defensive line are going to be all over Troy Smith and Reggie Nelson will make at least one gamebreaking play. *I think it will be close because Florida is going to struggle to move the ball on Ohio State's 'D', but I think Florida pulls out a win that isn't nearly as close as the reasonable margin of victory would indicate.

I guess maybe I should ammend part of my statement because I carelessly overlooked the fact that Marcus Thomas got kicked off the team. I also was remiss in not mentioning Joe Cohen as a part of that defensive front.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-10-2007, 02:16 AM
I like the fact that Boise State got a first place vote in the AP poll to end the season. The fact that Florida beat the crap out of the consensus #1 when they wouldn't even have been playing Ohio State if Michigan had won the Mich/OSU game or USC hadn't choked against UCLA. Florida in my mind proved that they are probably the best team out there, but this just highlights the huge need for a playoff system.

SDbison
01-10-2007, 02:40 AM
I like the fact that Boise State got a first place vote in the AP poll to end the season. *The fact that Florida beat the crap out of the consensus #1 when they wouldn't even have been playing Ohio State if Michigan had won the Mich/OSU game or USC hadn't choked against UCLA. *Florida in my mind proved that they are probably the best team out there, but this just highlights the huge need for a playoff system.
Good point, but you know the bowl people will spin it differently. ::)