PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs UND

Bison_Dan
01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Here's an article on the status on NDSU playing und in sports. Doesn't sound like anytime soon! ;D

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=23493&section=sports

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-11-2007, 12:51 PM
They also have a pending game against a Division I-A opponent that Taylor refused to identify in 2008.

I thought I had heard earlier that this was Iowa State.

BisBison
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
They also have a pending game against a Division I-A opponent that Taylor refused to identify in 2008.

I thought I had heard earlier that this was Iowa State.

We've got them in '09. I'm guessing it's Big Red in Lincoln.

84grad
01-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey, UND: welcome to "Transition Scheduling Hell". Of course they would like to schedule the Bison in all sports in order to quickly fill in some gaps. Sorry, but that boat left you years ago when you chose to stay on the shore and thumb your noses at us.

lakesbison
01-11-2007, 02:04 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

who gives a POOP

RedRiver
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

who gives a POOP

I agree, the same old stuff............

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I didn't realize it was so far out that we were going to Ames.

lakesbison
01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Taylor at Teammakers today said

"herald called me at a bad time, I was in the middle of 20 calls with Ad's and football scheduling..... they asked the question.. i flat out said NO!!... then they said, well maybe??.. I said NO."

at this point, Teammakers all started clapping.

Taylor said, Gateway will leave me with 3 games IF we get in.

BCS School.... 1 smaller bcs school and then the california teams.

CASE CLOSED.

IowaBison
01-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Scheduling UND every year as an OOC opponent is quite a conundrum.

It would be a well attended-heated game every time. But it really sucks as far as limiting scheduling flexibility.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 08:51 PM

"herald called me at a bad time, I was in the middle of 20 calls with Ad's and football scheduling..... they asked the question.. i flat out said NO!!... then they said, well maybe??.. I said NO."

CASE CLOSED.

He talks a big game to teammakers. Of course. He's not going to go in there and be all like "YEAH, WE MIGHT JUST SCHEDULE UND AFTER ALL! LOL!!!111", when he knows you guys all blindly hate them.

But none of you (well, except maybe you Lakes) would get down on him if he was just plum out of options and scheduled UND at the Fargodome with no guarantee for 2007.

insane_ponderer
01-11-2007, 08:55 PM

"herald called me at a bad time, I was in the middle of 20 calls with Ad's and football scheduling..... they *asked the question.. i flat out said NO!!... then they said, well maybe??.. *I said NO."

CASE CLOSED.

If we get into the Gateway, I think Taylor should take a much deserved vacation and let Lakes fill in because this is exactly the schedule I want to see every year for as long as the Gateway exists and as long as we are D1-AA.

Gateway + 1 Large BCS + 1 small bcs + Poly or UCD either or. Personally I would rather never play und again in any sport.

RodentiaX1
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Perhaps the California teams might be on the schedule fairly often, but it remains to be seen if they become an every-year opponent. It does limit flexibility, and I wonder if a strong rivalry will be maintained if NDSU gets in the Gateway.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Lets see:

Davis has drawn pretty well (helped by being homecoming in 2005), probably averaging 15k at least.

Poly has been hurt the only 2 times they've been in the dome by deer season. Probably averaging 11k at least.

Both Calif. schools are 2 times zones earlier, which means that a 7pm game starts at 9 in Fargo and gets done at midnight. It takes 3 hours to fly to either school, and you have to fly. No driving to those games. Plus hotel and a rental car. Probably costs the school 70 thousand dollars to charter a plane for the team plus renting out an entire hotel and food.

How about UND? Well, the 5 times they've been in the dome they've averaged more than 19k with 2002 being the previous record attendance before SDSU in 06 for the GWFC championship.

UND, on the other hand, is a 1 hour drive from Fargo. It costs the school virtually nothing to send the team up there. Just buses.

So, our choices for the 3rd game of a Gateway schedule:

1) Spend 70k to send the team to play Poly or Davis, where very few fans that don't live in Calif. can afford to travel with the team, or you can expect roughly 14k plus or minus 3k depending if it's homecoming or deer season.

or

2) Spend nothing to send the team to play UND, where every fan that can afford a ticket can travel with the team, or you can expect more than 19k no matter what time of the year it is.

Yeah, that's a tough choice for our 3rd game. Have to think on that one.

IowaBison
01-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Poly and Davis would be played in September as October/November would be conference play.

If the Bison are worth paying to see, those games will draw 16000+. If the Bison are a playoff contender, those games could be sellouts.

Poly and Davis are or will soon be established FCS teams, that remains to be seen for UND (although it is possible, if not likely). NDSU needs to play a decent OOC schedule to support its bid for the playoffs.

Rekindling the rivalry and playing UND each and every year would severely limit scheduling options. I'd like to see some non-Midwest teams.

NDSUstudent
01-11-2007, 09:22 PM
If we get into the Gateway, I think Taylor should take a much deserved vacation and let Lakes fill in because this is exactly the schedule I want to see every year for as long as the Gateway exists and as long as we are D1-AA.

Gateway + 1 Large BCS + 1 small bcs + Poly or UCD either or. *Personally I would rather never play und again in any sport.

Lets keep lakes as far away from scheduling as possible, playing FBS teams gets you nowhere besides further ahead in the balance sheet. I could care less if NDSU plays any FBS team besides Minnesota, they just don't excite me and they do little when it comes to helping us make the playoffs.

My Dream schedule....
-Minnesota every other year or whenever they'll play us(In off years play a solid I-AA(home and home) or a I-A that NDSU matches up well against)
-UCD or Cal Poly or SUU(rotate home and homes)
-Any Southland team(gotta love the southland) they were happy to play us when we needed games and always returned the trip.

The only thing that will piss me off is if NDSU play 3 FBS teams in one year, if we are going to play that many FBS teams we may as well join the FBS. I could careless about UND either way but right now I would like to see NDSU play those that helped us out in our time of need.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Rekindling the rivalry and playing UND each and every year would severely limit scheduling options.

There's still 2 games on the schedule.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 09:27 PM
If the schedule stays at 11 and we have 8 Gateway teams, then ideally the 3 NC teams should be:

1) UND. No brainer, almost nothing for travel cost and either a sold out dome or all fans can travel with team

2) Minnesota or another FBS team. This is for our players who are promised to have an opportunity to play the best competition when they choose NDSU.

3) recruiting area game. This would be Texas and if we start hitting California hard, then CA too. So there would be your Poly and Davis every few years rotated in with the Texas southland schools.

IowaBisonToo
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Actually, I don't see the - 1 BCS school, 1 bcs school, and one of the CA schools - thing happening like that. *You can't tell me that Taylor is going to schedule 2, DIA schools every year. :-? *If you truly believe that, quit drinking the kool-aid.

Let's say for arguments sake we schedule one of the CA schools every year. *What about schools like GA Southern? *Maine? *App St? *James Madison? *Heaven forbid one of the Montana schools? *The list could go on and on. *I for one would like to see some of these schools come to the dome for non-conf games. *It's great and all that we could try and schedule two BCS schools every year but let's be practical here. *That very well could take its toll on the team. *Not to mention, NDSU is going to be strong in FCS but what about the years where we may be borderline? *Do you want to take the chance of the getting banged up by 2 BCS schools, get some key players hurt and then not have a chance at the ultimate prize in FCS - the trophy? *Not likely.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere in there and I'm sure Taylor and Bohl will figure out exactly where that is.

Now, whether or not UND plays into this is another question. Maybe once their are a counter, maybe but if we're sitting in the Gateway, it's not going to happen every year - regardless of what some people might think. Maybe it will take 30 years or so like it did down here in IA with UI and ISU.

IowaBison
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
If the Bison start having 15,000 home averages, playing low-end FBS teams will be a money loser.

15,000x$15=$225,000+cost of traveling to Muncie, IN=$300,000.

(which I think is relatively conservative)

8 conference games
1 FBS game
1 gimme game (hey, if UND ends up being the program they were in the 80's.......nevermind)
1 other game

WYOBISONMAN
01-11-2007, 09:51 PM
After this year UND has to be a counter for us to play them. So there is no reason for NDSU to start the game ................................................ye t.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 10:03 PM
After this year UND has to be a counter for us to play them. So there is no reason for NDSU to start the game ................................................ye t.

Poly made the playoffs with 4 transitional teams on their schedule.

RedRiver
01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
If in the Gateway, NDSU will only have one nonconference game left to schedule. Taylor has said NDSU will play one BCS game and one warm-up game as their other 2 nonconference games. So you can choose between UC Davis, Cal Poly, UND, and USD among others. UND is no longer anything special to NDSU, heck there are other teams I would like to see also. So I'm guessing if the Bison end up in the Gateway, we son't be scheduling UND annually. And I could care less.

lakesbison
01-11-2007, 10:09 PM

Gateway + 1 Large BCS + 1 small bcs + Poly or UCD either or. Personally I would rather never play und again in any sport.

GCITY!!! WHAT KIND OF BEER YOU THINK!! IM BUYING FOR YOU!!

Would the rest of you QUIT with the UND $HIT..

ITS OVER>> GET OVER IT!!

THIS IS THE FUTURE< THE NOW FOR NDSU!! WE DONT NEED THEM!!

BIG TIMIN'!!! LETS GET IN FRONT OF MINNESOTA PEOPLE and the 5 state region.... not satisfy the politics up north.

RedRiver
01-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Actually, I don't see the - 1 BCS school, 1 bcs school, and one of the CA schools - thing happening like that. *You can't tell me that Taylor is going to schedule 2, DIA schools every year. :-? *If you truly believe that, quit drinking the kool-aid.

Let's say for arguments sake we schedule one of the CA schools every year. *What about schools like GA Southern? Maine? App St? James Madison? Heaven forbid one of the Montana schools? The list could go on and on. I for one would like to see some of these schools come to the dome for non-conf games. *It's great and all that we could try and schedule two BCS schools every year but let's be practical here. *That very well could take its toll on the team. *Not to mention, NDSU is going to be strong in FCS but what about the years where we may be borderline? *Do you want to take the chance of the getting banged up by 2 BCS schools, get some key players hurt and then not have a chance at the ultimate prize in FCS - the trophy? *Not likely.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere in there and I'm sure Taylor and Bohl will figure out exactly where that is.

Now, whether or not UND plays into this is another question. *Maybe once their are a counter, maybe but if we're sitting in the Gateway, it's not going to happen every year - regardless of what some people might think. *Maybe it will take 30 years or so like it did down here in IA with UI and ISU.

You are right on. It will be great to see other teams that will draw just as much fan interest as UND.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 10:22 PM
ITS OVER>> GET OVER IT!!

Keep dreamin.

WE DONT NEED THEM!!

We don't need any team.

19k attendance is just a nice thing to have.

DenverBison05
01-11-2007, 10:54 PM
After this year UND has to be a counter for us to play them. *So there is no reason for NDSU to start the game ................................................ye t.

Poly made the playoffs with 4 transitional teams on their schedule.

Actually, Poly didn't make the play-offs the first year we were in DI because they played us. They went 9-2 and were left out because they played 4 transitional teams. Playing UND in 2008 will hurt us.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
They made the playoffs in 2005 playing 4 transitional teams: UNC, UC Davis, NDSU, and SDSU.

DenverBison05
01-11-2007, 11:06 PM
They made the playoffs in 2005 playing 4 transitional teams: UNC, UC Davis, NDSU, and SDSU.

Yes but the quote was about not playing them if they weren't a counter. In 2005 we were a counter, whereas in 2004 we weren't and Poly with a 9-2 record watched the playoffs from their homes. Therefore in 2008 we will not play UND.

WYOBISONMAN
01-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Denver Bison is right on the money....

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Yes but the quote was about not playing them if they weren't a counter. In 2005 we were a counter, whereas in 2004 we weren't and Poly with a 9-2 record watched the playoffs from their homes. Therefore in 2008 we will not play UND.

2003 was an exploritory year, we only counted as a DII team then.

2004-2007 are transition years. Whatever it is that we count as, we counted the same in 2004 as we did in 2005.

Regardless, I wasn't talking about playing UND in 2008. 2007 was the year I was thinking about.

DenverBison05
01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes but the quote was about not playing them if they weren't a counter. *In 2005 we were a counter, whereas in 2004 we weren't and Poly with a 9-2 record watched the playoffs from their homes. *Therefore in 2008 we will not play UND.

2003 was an exploritory year, we only counted as a DII team then.

2004-2007 are transition years. Whatever it is that we count as, we counted the same in 2004 as we did in 2005.

Regardless, I wasn't talking about playing UND in 2008. 2007 was the year I was thinking about.

Believe it or not (and the NCAA believes it) in 2004 we didn't count as either a DII game nor a DI-AA (I can use this term because it was in 2004 ;) )game. *Gene doesnt want to play the game against UND because we are not going to continue playing it after the 2007 season, because in 2008 they wont be a counter.

I'll try to find the exact rule about being a counter.

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, the point is that if there is no other option other than to start considering DII teams coming to Fargo, UND is the easiest DII to consider.

That's basically it.

DenverBison05
01-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Here is the applicable rule. *When reading it remember that under rule 20.5.2, the exploratory year and the 4 year provisional process are separate. *Therefore we conducted our exploratory year in 2003, and began our first provisional year in 2004, and counted as a DI school in our second provisional year 2005. Ready to strangle the NCAA yet? ;) ;D

20.9.5.1.5 Provisional Member Opponents. A Division I provisional institution shall be counted
as a Division I opponent in the year the Division I provisional institution must comply with
Division I scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the provisional process). (Adopted: 1/11/94
effective 9/2/94, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 4/24/03 effective 7/1/04)
NCAA DI Manual (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2006-07/2006-07_d1_manual.pdf)

There is some room to debate whether you can comply with the scheduling requirements in the first year.

SDbison
01-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Poly and Davis would be played in September as October/November would be conference play.

If the Bison are worth paying to see, those games will draw 16000+. *If the Bison are a playoff contender, those games could be sellouts.

Poly and Davis are or will soon be established FCS teams, that remains to be seen for UND (although it is possible, if not likely). *NDSU needs to play a decent OOC schedule to support its bid for the playoffs.

Rekindling the rivalry and playing UND each and every year would severely limit scheduling options. *I'd like to see some non-Midwest teams.
Very well said NDBison. Lets move forward, not backward.

TransAmBison
01-12-2007, 02:33 AM
My main concern right now is getting some home football games...other than Concordia St Paul. *I just want a quality home game. *If it has to be UND, so be it. *It isn't like we have tons of options here...I mean, it is getting to the middle of January and we have 3 home games. *Great...lovely...woohoo...we hold out too much longer and we will be playing a lot worse teams than the Firetrucks. Or, we will only have three or four home games.

NDSUstudent
01-12-2007, 02:38 AM
My main concern right now is getting some home football games...other than Concordia St Paul. *I just want a quality home game. *If it has to be UND, so be it. *It isn't like we have tons of options here...I mean, it is getting to the middle of January and we have 2 home games. *Great...lovely...woohoo...we hold out too much longer and we will be playing a lot worse teams than the Firetrucks. Or, we will only have three or four home games.

You can probably go ahead and book a DII team for the opener*and hopefully Taylor can throw enough money at some I-AA to get them to come up here and play us. I wouldn't count on seeing NDSU play a top notch I-AA team this year besides UCD at home which is too bad because this team deserves a big time home game.

insane_ponderer
01-12-2007, 03:54 AM

Let's say for arguments sake we schedule one of the CA schools every year. *What about schools like GA Southern? *Maine? *App St? *James Madison? *Heaven forbid one of the Montana schools? *The list could go on and on. *I for one would like to see some of these schools come to the dome for non-conf games. *It's great and all that we could try and schedule two BCS schools every year but let's be practical here. *That very well could take its toll on the team. *Not to mention, NDSU is going to be strong in FCS but what about the years where we may be borderline? *Do you want to take the chance of the getting banged up by 2 BCS schools, get some key players hurt and then not have a chance at the ultimate prize in FCS - the trophy? *Not likely.

Alright, I was jumping on the lakes bandwagon a bit quick, so let me reconsider a few things. *With those three open dates I would like to see at least one BCS team a year, and honestly the way that Minnesota and Ball St. played out this year is ideal. *I understand that it isnt always gonna be that way but I don't see anything wrong with a large BCS game and a "winnable" BCS game. *It helps with the funding and its fun, exciting and it is the highest level of competition.

With that said, I would be totally fine with one BCS team per year and 2 quality FCS non-conf games such as those listed above. *The real point here is that if we do get into the Gateway we should have enough options to never have to schedule und ever again.

kchats
01-12-2007, 03:56 AM
The first year in division I for a transitioning team the transitioning team counts as a division II team on division I schedules and a division I team on division II schedules.

As for UND if NDSU gets into the Gateway and has 4 home and 4 away conference games that leaves 3 out of conference games. Most schools want 6 home games so that means that 2 out of the 3 out of conference games have to be in Fargo at the FargoDome and the third will more than likely be a FBS team for a payday. Sounds to me that that means guarantees for teams coming to Fargo to me. Will UND want to play in Fargo for a low guarantee and no chance at hosting NDSU in GF?

bincitysioux
01-12-2007, 03:58 AM
FWIW, UND would be a counter in 2008 if they played 7 DI games.

Hypothetical 2008 UND opponents: Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, SUU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI..........

Who can think of a seventh? :)

insane_ponderer
01-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Gateway + 1 Large BCS + 1 small bcs + Poly or UCD either or. *Personally I would rather never play und again in any sport.

GCITY!!! *WHAT KIND OF BEER YOU THINK!! IM BUYING FOR YOU!!

Would the rest of you QUIT with the UND $HIT..

ITS OVER>> GET OVER IT!!

THIS IS THE FUTURE< THE NOW FOR NDSU!! * WE DONT NEED THEM!!

BIG TIMIN'!!! * *LETS GET IN FRONT OF MINNESOTA PEOPLE and the 5 state region.... not satisfy the politics up north.

Lakes man, if there is one thing we have in common it is that I honestly never want to see und on any of our schedules ever again. I think that comparison has been made before where und is that bitchy girlfriend that you (being some bison fans) just can't get over.

Have some dignity, she done ya wrong, tell her to go f' herself, move on and don't look back. We are better than that. :)

kchats
01-12-2007, 04:03 AM

Hypothetical 2008 UND opponents: *Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, SUU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI..........

Who can think of a seventh? * :)

Strike NDSU and SDSU from your list, due to poor treatment by UND administration and coaches. Look for UND's schedule to look much like NDSU's did in 2004 when UND refused to play NDSU.

Face the facts: NDSU is not going to help UND in this move to division I. UND does not deserve any help and scheduling them is helping them.

DenverBison05
01-12-2007, 04:11 AM

Hypothetical 2008 UND opponents: *Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, SUU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI..........

Are you certain that this is the correct interpretation of the rule? The rule specifically mention year 2 of the provisional period. I dont know the answer, and I'm curious if you do?

bincitysioux
01-12-2007, 04:16 AM
..........UND refused to play NDSU. *

Lucky for you, Gene Taylor has learned alot from RT!

Taylor is being more cautious, looking out for NDSU's playoff interests.

Bison: No Sioux games on the horizon
(http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=23493&section=sports)

;) ;) ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D
:D :D :D :D :D

bincitysioux
01-12-2007, 04:18 AM

Are you certain that this is the correct interpretation of the rule? *The rule specifically mention year 2 of the provisional period. *I dont know the answer, and I'm curious if you do?

I don't have a link, but I'm 99% sure I read this in a Herald or Forum article during the football season, and either Gene Taylor or Tom Buning made the statement. But I could be wrong. Where is Hammersmith when we need him? :-?

DenverBison05
01-12-2007, 04:21 AM
I just looked up our schedule for the 2004 year and we had nine DI games, with 8 for sure being counters and we still hurt Poly's bid for getting into the playoffs. Im not sure if the rules have been changed since then, but this would seem to advocate not playing UND.

bincitysioux
01-12-2007, 04:25 AM
I only count six DI games for NDSU in 2004:

Valpo
Nichols
SUU
Cal-Poly
Northwestern St.
Weber St.

UNC, SDSU, and UC-Davis were all transitional in 2004. If transitionals counted, USD would qualify as our seventh game, but I was referring to full DI active members.

DenverBison05
01-12-2007, 04:26 AM

Valpo
Nichols
SUU
Cal-Poly
Northwestern St.
Weber St.

UNC, SDSU, and UC-Davis were all transitional in 2004.

Yes but UNC and UCD were in year 2 of the provisional period so they were DI counters.

bincitysioux
01-12-2007, 04:30 AM

Valpo
Nichols
SUU
Cal-Poly
Northwestern St.
Weber St.

Yes but UNC and UCD were in year 2 of the provisional period so they were DI counters.

Ah, I see your point, and that does make sense. Perhaps I was wrong, but I could have sworn I read that in one of the newspapers this fall. Maybe too many Miller Lites for me? :-/

DenverBison05
01-12-2007, 04:38 AM

Valpo
Nichols
SUU
Cal-Poly
Northwestern St.
Weber St.

Ah, I see your point, and that does make sense. *Perhaps I was wrong, but I could have sworn I read that in one of the newspapers this fall. *Maybe too many Miller Lites for me? * :-/

The problem with the NCAA is that even with this example; its more than likely that they've messed around with the system. So who knows maybe the rules have changed :-/

lakesbison
01-12-2007, 04:45 AM
BinCity and the rest of you UND fans.

You are all really getting BONERS out of the THOUGHT of playing NDSU aintcha???

I mean. *its your LIFE, you just HAVE to get NDSU on your schedule.

well, We dont NEED YOU OR WANT YOU!!!

couple of small town old timers on here talk about it.

BUT fans like me 28, and younger *are the FUTURE, and we don't forget the Bull$HIT and quite frankly.

U Minnesota game, K State, and BALL State, Iowa State are teams we want to play, not you.

ITS OVER.. taylor said so at teammakers twice today.

Gateway, *and 3 OOC games

BCS, small BCS & Cal Davis or Poly. for next 25 years

ba bye

kchats
01-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Gene Taylor bore the brunt of UND refusing to play NDSU. He was blamed for killing the game when he offered the contract for 4 years of games. Give me a break. UND needs NDSU on their schedule way more than NDSU needs UND on theirs.

RedRiver
01-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Pretty much as common theme, UND needs NDSU.

WYOBISONMAN
01-12-2007, 01:57 PM
One thing that all ought to be able to agree on is that UND would be a more interesting opponent than Concordia-St. Paul.............However, we need to have all DI non-counters off our schedule by 2008, and that precludes playing UND until they are a DI counter.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
This is not intended as smack, just an inquiry. Has UND actually declared to the NCAA their intention to reclassify to D-I, or are they still just operating on the premise that they will do so but yet to do it?

WYOBISONMAN
01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't think anything official has been done.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I was just wondering because I didn't think I'd seen anything yet, but most of the articles I link to off this site have referred to it as a done deal. Just wanted to make sure I'm not totally crazy yet.

dakotadan
01-14-2007, 04:02 AM
One thing that all ought to be able to agree on is that UND would be a more interesting opponent than Concordia-St. Paul.............However, we need to have all DI non-counters off our schedule by 2008, and that precludes playing UND until they are a DI counter.

I would completely understand if NDSU did not want to play UND until they are a DI counter because of playoff implications. Any teams ultimate goal should be to make the playoffs. And you can't blame any program for doing everything possible to help those chances. That is why I see 2009 being the earliest that these two would play. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is even longer before we see this game again.

Gully
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks, I was just wondering because I didn't think I'd seen anything yet, but most of the articles I link to off this site have referred to it as a done deal. *Just wanted to make sure I'm not totally crazy yet.

This is a good point. I had a disagreement with a Sue fan (I don't want to sound hostile and abusive)about this and they had almost convinced me I was wrong. Sounds like it's still a point of debate? You'd think we could find a link to the story if it had actually happened??

When is the deadline for them to officially announce then?

Bisonguy
01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
The deadline is June 1, 2007 if they wish to declare 2007/2008 as their exploratory year.

Doesn't anyone remember the debacle last year when they didn't keep up on the DI rule changes, and had all the information and announcement ready for the old July 1 deadline?

lakesbison
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Lakes:

Watch what you post. *This is getting over the line. *Post remove by moderator.

WYOBISONMAN

TransAmBison
01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Lakes, why would you even open up a thread that is titled "NDSU vs UND" if it is going to give you a coronary?

sambini
01-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Move on .....

NDSU1980
01-17-2007, 01:07 AM
The deadline is June 1, 2007 if they wish to declare 2007/2008 as their exploratory year.

Doesn't anyone remember the debacle last year when they didn't keep up on the DI rule changes, and had all the information and announcement ready for the old July 1 deadline?

Wasn't the deadline for 220 last June, 2006? I remember the problems because of the rule change, and UND declared after June 1, but got an extensen. I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

Bisonguy
01-17-2007, 02:06 AM

Wasn't the deadline for 220 last June, 2006? *I remember the problems because of the rule change, and UND declared after June 1, but got an extensen. *I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

From the 2006 DI Manual:

20.5.2 Requesting Reclassification
20.5.2.1 Deadline for Submission of Petition. When petitioning for change of division member-
ship, a member shall notify the Division I Management Council Membership Subcommittee on an
application approved by the subcommittee. The application shall be received in the national office
(by mail or wired transmission) not later than June 1 prior to the academic year that the institu-
tion begins its one-year exploratory period in the reclassification process.

UND missed out on their chance to make 2006 their exploratory year.

NDSU1980
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I guess I should correct my bad typing. I meant to say wasn't the deadline for "2007" (not 220).

Anyway, thanks bisonguy for the explanation.

IowaBison
01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
220, 221, whatever it takes.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
So is the plan to start with the exploratory year next year like USD? That would probably make the most sense.

NDSU_grad
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
220, 221, whatever it takes.
"you want a beer?"
"it's seven o'clock in the morning"
"Scotch?"

IowaBison
01-17-2007, 07:40 PM
;D ;D ;D