PDA

View Full Version : Playing other ND schools

tony
01-16-2007, 10:12 AM
From today's Bismarck Tribune, Juno Pintar coach of Mary, "We have a lot of North Dakota kids and for them to get the opportunity to play North Dakota State means a lot."

From today's Fargo Forum, Jamestown head coach Mark Wiest, "This [playing NDSU] was a treat for them."

Isn't that what we want NDSU to be, the school that other area colleges aspire to play?

I really think playing Mary, Minot, Jamestown, Dickinson, etc is tremendous PR for NDSU around the state. I know a lot of you get downright insulting about these schools when games with them are brought up, but it'd be a shame and a wasted opportunity not to schedule them as long as we can berespectful of these schools when NDSU does play them.

Personally, I'd like to see area schools on the schedule on a rotational basis so that playing NDSU doesn't get to be old hat - with an occasional game in Bismarck or Minot.

Hammersmith
01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
As long as the coaches of the smaller colleges feel that playing NDSU is good for their players and their programs, I agree with you 100%.

WePharm
01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
A number of these schools have ties to SU. Former players are coaches etc. etc. I agree it does give good PR. I do think there is a limit tho. Also it puts us on the spot when someone asks "why not play the school up north?"

mikelsch
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Regarding non-DI North Dakota schools, or any other non-DI schools for that matter...

I say exhibition games only, starting next season when NDSU has the luxury of Mid-Con scheduling

lakesbison
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Exhibition Games in the future.

Mid Con = 18 games

Big time schools = 6 games.

UWGB, Furman, etc etc= 4 games

Holiday Tourney = 4 games

there you go. sorry Nd teams.

insane_ponderer
01-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I have to disagree. Maybe exhibition games would be okay, but the one example I go back to (and I know it isn't ND) is the 2000 football game NDSU vs. Moorhead 80-0. What good does that do anyone?

I hope NDSU can achieve at a higher level in athletics and academics and make our PR that way rather than become the Harlem Globetrotters of ND athletics.

2006gwfcchamps
01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
I guess I don't mind them playing the DAC schools. But it shouldn't be for guarantee money.

RodentiaX1
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, that's easier said than done. Home non-conference games are not easy to come by. The Big Time schools are going to want home games themselves. Holiday tourneys are fine, but to get 4 games out of it, you either need to play in an 8-team tournament, or play in two four-team tournaments. You can get the D-I non-Big Time schools, but they are going to want home games as much as NDSU will.

So, if you're playing the Big Time schools on the road, and two tournaments on the road, that leaves you with four games, two of which would likely be on the road. That could leave you with just two home non-conference games. One or two D-II games on the regular season schedule is not at all uncommon. Last year, over half of the D-I schools played at least one non D-I school.

I don't see any reason that games against DAC schools should not be for guarantee money, but it should be a reduced amount of money - not as if they have high travel costs.

If a game vs NDSU helps eastablish the pecking order in the state, that's a good thing. Don't want the other ND schools to choose UND as the standard of comparison.

2006gwfcchamps
01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
As they just said themselves, we're doing them a favor.

Why should we pay them too?

bisonaudit
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
I think there's enough room in the non-conference basketball schedule and we need some home games so a couple of games with local schools may continue to make sense going forward. Two a year is probably enough each year though. Schedule too many and you start looking like Georgetown (playing St. Anne's school for the Infirm just because you can).

mikelsch
01-16-2007, 06:53 PM
28 regular season games (unless you play in an exempt tourney like preseason NIT, coaches vs. cancer, etc)

18 Mid-Con games + 10 non-conference

Need to schedule 5 home and 5 away games/year to make 14 home/14 away

Filling home non-conf schedule...home/home contracts with Mid/Low-Majors, 2 for 1 with High-Majors, and non-DI games only if needed

Filling road non-conf schedule...small tourneys (like Marquette tourney), guarantee games against High-Majors

RodentiaX1
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
The big schools play the overwhelming majority of their games at home, that means that somone has to play more road games than home games. You can get 1-1 games with low to mid major teams, but playing road guarantee games makes it that much harder to balance the non-conference schedule, and 2-1 games gives you the same problem two out of three years.

One solution is to try to get a low major to agree to a 2-1 deal, playing two games in Fargo. Or perhaps get a home guarantee game against a low major that really needs to fill out a schedule. Both of these are more expensive, and the school might not agree to it. Scheduling 1 or 2 non D-I teams is another solution. The remaining solution is to simply play have more of your non-conference games on the road than at home.

bisonranch
01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
One good thing about the Mary game, there will be an article and news highlights on the west side of the state where normallly there are none.

sambini
01-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Tony I agree with you. But only in exhibtion games.

insane_ponderer
01-17-2007, 03:40 AM
88-47 NDSU vs. U Mary
90-56 NDSU vs. MSUM (Exhibition)
98-60 NDSU vs. Mayville
89-50 NDSU vs. Valley City

Seriously, is this what we want? These are exhibition games, or early season warm-ups at best. These games should not be in the middle of our season. Thank God for the mid-con and some quality opponents. "Bring on the Competition"

And like I said in an earlier post, I can think of better ways to build PR throughout the state than beating the hell out of the other in state lower division schools in sports.

Bisonguy
01-17-2007, 03:57 AM
88-47 NDSU vs. U Mary
90-56 NDSU vs. MSUM (Exhibition)
98-60 NDSU vs. Mayville
89-50 NDSU vs. Valley City

Seriously, is this what we want? *These are exhibition games, or early season warm-ups at best. *These games should not be in the middle of our season. *Thank God for the mid-con and some quality opponents. *"Bring on the Competition"

And like I said in an earlier post, I can think of better ways to build PR throughout the state than beating the hell out of the other in state lower division schools in sports.

It is a big deal to those programs. Sorta like when NDSU, SDSU, or UNI plays at the Gophers (football).

I don't like the idea of playing so many a year, especially with the Mid-Con schedule upcoming. Maybe two a year, max, and rotate them in.

tony
01-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Yeah, I'd say play one each year and rotate them. That way playing NDSU is still a big deal since it's only once every four years.

It's a great way to showcase NDSU to the rest of the state. Seriously, imagine if UND plays them but NDSU refuses to? NDSU might as well kiss general in-state support good bye if they pull something like that - it would generate a tremendous amount of ill will towards NDSU everywhere in the state.

NDSUstudent
01-17-2007, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I'd say play one each year and rotate them. That way playing NDSU is still a big deal since it's only once every four years.

It's a great way to showcase NDSU to the rest of the state. Seriously, imagine if UND plays them but NDSU refuses to? NDSU might as well kiss general in-state support good bye if they pull something like that - it would generate a tremendous amount of ill will towards NDSU everywhere in the state.

I agree, we should play one in a exhibition game and another in a game that counts. Sure the games may not be competitive but as you say it is a big deal to the instate schools and it doesn't really hurt NDSU at all.

mikelsch
01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
It only hurts NDSU if it loses, or chooses to play a non-DI instead of bringing in another DI team (if it was possible to schedule)

THEsocalledfan
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
With all due respect Tony, this is a terrible idea. I have no interest in watching the Bison kill these schools. Quite frankly, I think I would be a little scared just for the safety of the other team's players.

Let's not delude ourselves, there is only one team in ND the Bison should consider playing and they also happen to reside on I-29.

DenverBison05
01-17-2007, 06:13 PM
With all due respect Tony, this is a terrible idea. *I have no interest in watching the Bison kill these schools. *Quite frankly, I think I would be a little scared just for the safety of the other team's players.

Let's not delude ourselves, there is only one team in ND the Bison should consider playing and they also happen to reside on I-29.

You do realize that the team we just beat by 41 points is better than the team your advocating we consider playing? (i.e. UMary beat UND this year)

imabison
01-17-2007, 07:05 PM
With all due respect Tony, this is a terrible idea. *I have no interest in watching the Bison kill these schools. *Quite frankly, I think I would be a little scared just for the safety of the other team's players.

Oh, but the Bison already played Mayville State and beat them. ;D ;D ;D and they beat that other school up north last year.

mikelsch
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM

I think what TSCF is saying is that if we are going to depants another school in North Dakota, it should by UND. *I feel bad for teams like Mary when we beat them by 41, but I wouldn't for the Sioux.

Tatanka
01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
++ Greenie. It would have been a LOT more than a 41 point spread against Mary if the Bison would have kept their foot on (or near) the gas pedal the whole game. It was clear the team was under orders to keep the point total respectable.

Against teh university I doubt we would witness such restraint, if we decide to play them. A de-pantsing would be a guarantee.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-18-2007, 03:53 PM
As a player it really stinks to have to play teams like Minot State, etc, because you are expected to not only win, but win big, and you have a hard time getting up for the game because the other team doesn't really even belong on the field with you. In that respect, it sucks, but in terms of what is best for the university I understand that these types of games are good and cultivate good will for NDSU throughout the state. I say keep playing one or two a year in sports like basketball, baseball, softball, etc where you have lengthy schedules.

56BISON73
01-18-2007, 07:41 PM
As a player it really stinks to have to play teams like Minot State, etc, because you are expected to not only win, but win big, and you have a hard time getting up for the game because the other team doesn't really even belong on the field with you. *In that respect, it sucks, but in terms of what is best for the university I understand that these types of games are good and cultivate good will for NDSU throughout the state. *I say keep playing one or two a year in sports like basketball, baseball, softball, etc where you have lengthy schedules.

Jeff
What sport did you play and when?? PL

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-18-2007, 08:59 PM
We seem to forget that a school named Wisconsin scheduled an Ag school from North Dakota...easy win for them. The Badger fans wondered why play NDSU.

It was good for NDSU just as it would be for Mary or Mayville if they beat us.

Lets not get too full of our selves

mikelsch
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
We seem to forget that a school named Wisconsin scheduled an Ag school from North Dakota...easy win for them. The Badger fans wondered why play NDSU.

It was good for NDSU just as it would be for Mary or Mayville if they beat us.

Lets not get too full of our selves

Wisconsin vs. NDSU was DI vs. DI...completely different scenario

RodentiaX1
01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Fundementally, it's not all that different. They don't give you any extra points for being D-I after all. Complacency can cost teams games. So, how do you best keep a team motivated against an opponent you are expected to beat easily? You'ld like to stick a fork in them quickly, so you can plat the scrubs.

TaTonka_31
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Play them but exhibition only.

No self-repecting D1 teams play D2 and D3 teams as counter games during the season. UND won't either once they are full-fledged D1.

Once NDSU gets into the Mid-Con and either the NIT or the NCAA tournament, this topic will go away. The respect and support for NDSU will come pouring in. People in ND just havn't caught on to D1 yet. People will more than likely think NDSU is belittling themselves to play these games vs lose support in the future.

You need top think of the players at NDSU that have to play these games. They are brutal. No win situations that they want to avoid at all costs.

IowaBison
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
No self-repecting D1 teams play D2 and D3 teams as counter games during the season.

So about half the nation's DI squads are not self-respecting?

NDSUstudent
01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
From November 11th to November 18th these teams all played non-DI in games that counted according to Yahoo...

Colorado St, Marquette, Montana, Nevada, St. Marys, Southern Ill, New Mexico, Texas St, Winthrop, San Deigo St, Yale, App St, Furman, Middle Tenn St, New Hampshire, Sam Houston St, San Deigo, CSU Fulerton, CSU Northridge, UC Riverside, Nebraska, Santa Clara, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Arizona State, Bradley, Eastern Ill, IUPUI, IPFW, Northern Ill, Tulsa, UCF, Murray St, Arkansas St, Rhode Island, Eastern Washington, Georgia, Penn, Long Beach St, Wisconsin Green Bay, and there were probably about 15 more teams that played non-DIs during that week that I didn't add.

As long as you can count one or two non-DI wins a year look for teams to keep on scheduling them because in the end nobody remembers that one of your wins was against a DII they just remember the wins and the losses. As long as the instate and area teams want to play us we may as well play at most two a year. One in a exhibition and two if we need another home game.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Jeff

I played baseball from '02 to '05, so I guess I should also add that it really sucks to be on the field when your team is the one serving as the sacrificial lamb, as we did for the entire '05 season.

56BISON73
01-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Jeff

I played baseball from '02 to '05, so I guess I should also add that it really sucks to be on the field when your team is the one serving as the sacrificial lamb, as we did for the entire '05 season.

I understand that pain. It was the same for me when I was at Iowa. We won 1 game my soph year. *
But over the years I came to realize a few things. *I got to do what I had always dreamed of. Go to college and play ball. Which not all people are allowed-able to do.. Get an education. Have a great time etc. *The only difference between my time at Iowa and a player at Michigan??? Nothing except the win and loss column.
You played the game. Thats all that really matters now. PL

Trimmy
01-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Jeff

I understand that pain. It was the same for me when I was at Iowa. We won 1 game my soph year. *
But over the years I came to realize a few things. *I got to do what I had always dreamed of. Go to college and play ball. Which not all people are allowed-able to do.. Get an education. Have a great time etc. *The only difference between my time at Iowa and a player at Michigan??? Nothing except the win and loss column.
You played the game. Thats all that really matters now. PL

Very well stated PL... I feel ya!

ndsubison
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I say we play these teams on an exhibition basis only. Not to sound snobbish, but if playing the Bison is the so-called highlight of these teams' year, so be it. Otherwise, all of these ND kids should practice harder year-round and get good enough to play DI ball. Otherwise, let's keep playing the Gophers tough and someday beat them. We are soooooooooooo close right now in all sports. >:(

GO BISON!!!

56BISON73
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I say we play these teams on an exhibition basis only. *Not to sound snobbish, but if playing the Bison is the so-called highlight of these teams' year, so be it. *Otherwise, all of these ND kids should practice harder year-round and get good enough to play DI ball. *Otherwise, let's keep playing the Gophers tough and someday beat them. *We are soooooooooooo close right now in all sports. >:(

GO BISON!!!

I undestand what you are saying. But one must remember that some could pracitce 24/7 and not get any better to play D-1 ball. They play because they love the game. Case in point. WHY would any player take a half ride scholorship?? Why would a player play for a school that offers no scholorships? Why? Because they want to play. That take alot of heart. PL

TaTonka_31
01-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Sure it is nice for these kids from Mary, Mayville and Valley City to get a chance to play the only D1 program in the state. It is great for them but what's in it for the Bison? What about the Bison players having to go through the motions? If they only win by 10 or 15 points, the fans think there is something wrong with the team. It is a no win situation.

NDSU made a big committment to go D1 in all sports. Financially, recruiting, facility upgrades etc. Why do these D2 schools favors for their players and prestige for their programs. It makes no sense.

Exhibition only.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2007, 10:32 PM
A game or two a year in the sports with larger schedules doesn't hurt anything. Who really remembers them anyway? They're just tune up games for the Bison and most people recognize that. Everyone has them, so having said that we may as well make them teams with some local appeal to grow goodwill throughout the state. Not a lot of them, but a couple are okay.

RodentiaX1
01-20-2007, 01:18 AM
What's in it for the Bison? A home game, that's one. The other Mid-Con teams play a significant majority of their non-conference games on the road. Plus, goodwill is beneficial. If the other schools in ND play NDSU, it helps make NDSU the standard of comparison, and helps cement NDSU as the North Dakota team.

sambini
01-20-2007, 04:26 PM
We need to be NORTH DAKOTAS AND AMERICAS TEAM++

Mr._Bill
01-21-2007, 04:57 PM
For the exhibition games, we can play 1 or 2 ND teams at the NAIA level like Valley City, Mayville, Minot, Jtown. *Minot should be the priority there because of its location in the state and the need for western exposure, and the fact that they will be DII along with Mary within the next couple of years.

It would not bother me at all to play 1 non-DI game each year like many DI team do. *In my mind, that game should by Mary, the top DII team in the state with the other largest metro in the state.

Playing a game in Bismarck helps recruiting battles with the other DI to be school in the state, and that should be a priority. *NDSU should be trying to lock up the ND I-94 corridor. *Keeping Mary on our schedule would help that priority.

Therefore, I believe that Mary and Minot should receive scheduling priority in basketball for the bison. *Schedulig Valley City, Mayville and Jamestown throws them some love, but they are not as strategic as Mary and Minot IMO.

BraxtonT
01-21-2007, 09:16 PM
For the exhibition games, we can play 1 or 2 ND teams at the NAIA level like Valley City, Mayville, Minot, Jtown. *Minot should be the priority there because of its location in the state and the need for western exposure, and the fact that they will be DII along with Mary within the next couple of years.

It would not bother me at all to play 1 non-DI game each year like many DI team do. *In my mind, that game should by Mary, the top DII team in the state with the other largest metro in the state.

Playing a game in Bismarck helps recruiting battles with the other DI to be school in the state, and that should be a priority. *NDSU should be trying to lock up the ND I-94 corridor. *Keeping Mary on our schedule would help that priority.

Therefore, I believe that Mary and Minot should receive scheduling priority in basketball for the bison. *Schedulig Valley City, Mayville and Jamestown throws them some love, but they are not as strategic as Mary and Minot IMO.

I just asked a friend of mine from Minot the other night about the Beavers moving up to DII. He strongly doubted they will be making the move. He's not just some "Joe Schmoe" off the street either, he is "in" with many of Minot's top decision makers. So, until Minot State actually makes the move, I wouldn't put them at the top of the list of in-state schools to play.

Mr._Bill
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM

I just asked a friend of mine from Minot the other night about the Beavers moving up to DII. *He strongly doubted they will be making the move. *He's not just some "Joe Schmoe" off the street either, he is "in" with many of Minot's top decision makers. *So, until Minot State actually makes the move, I wouldn't *put them at the top of the list of in-state schools to play. *

Geographically they are the right team to play. *What good does it do to play Mayville and VC?? *We want the state to follow the bison, not the FM area which basically includes VC and Mayville. *Also, the AD in Minot = "not some Joe Schmoe off the street" indicates that they will follow Mary when the time is right. that is their strong desire. *I'm not sure who your source is, but maybe they should check in with the AD.

Minot's profile is more in line with Mary and Northern State than Mayville and Valley City. *With 3,500 students, better facilities, and a town of approx 40M, they fit that profile. *They can play it safe and stay NAIA and continue to play down, then again, NDSU could have stayed DII.

BraxtonT
01-22-2007, 06:20 PM
On Bison,

I'm with you in that I believe Minot fits the profile for DII and exposing that part of the state to Bison BB would be a good thing.

Only time will tell whether they make the move, though. If your source is the AD, then I respect that. My source, though, seriously doubts it is going to happen. For a school like Minot State to make the move, they will need the town's support. My source is one of those "townies" that doesn't believe the support is there. The AD is going to need to do a good sales job on the town and of course, more importantly, the president of Minot State.

Either way, no big deal to me, but as long as Minot is NAIA, I don't see a major advantage to scheduling them. Scheduling Mayville and Valley City could at least get some of their fans to jump in their cars after work some Thursday evening (Mid Con conference game!) and head to Fargo to watch the Bison play. That will not happen with Minot State fans.

Mr._Bill
01-23-2007, 12:32 AM
No arguments with any of your points, but exposure in the 4 media markets in the state is what the bison need. Games with Minot and Bismarck schools would be much preferred IMO than the local NAIA's, especially after the move to the Mid-Con. Bismarck is an important market that has traditionally given greater support to the school up north. That is beginning to change, and the bison need to help that along.

TheBisonator
01-23-2007, 01:07 AM

We would never play Mary in Bismarck as long as they are not a DI school. All games would be played in Fargo only.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah, if these smaller schools are going to get on the schedule it is going to be in Fargo. No need to lower ourselves to the point of traveling to play D-II/D-III/NAIA schools at this point.

BisBison
01-23-2007, 05:14 PM

We would never play Mary in Bismarck as long as they are not a DI school. All games would be played in Fargo only.

We did it once before when as a D-II team we rented the Bismarck Civic Center and played the then NAIA U-Mary as the home team. Both men's and women's if memory serves. Very good turnout from the local alumna. I'm guessing it would be even better now. Just a thought.

semobison
01-23-2007, 05:33 PM
A game in Bismarck at the Civic Center would be great exposure for the Bison in western ND. The Civic is the best BB arena in the state.

TheBisonator
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
A game in Bismarck at the Civic Center would be great exposure for the Bison in western ND. The Civic is the best BB arena in the state.

You can keep dreaming about it, but it ain't gonna happen.

NorthernBison
01-23-2007, 10:51 PM

You can keep dreaming about it, but it ain't gonna happen.

You might be right. What bothers me is the fact that we have basically zero exposure in the western 2/3 of the state. You can't listen to football or basketball games on the radio and the newpapers give only token coverage. NBA teams and even some high majors play games in odd locations because it enhances their image. I don't think we are too good to do the same. If we take the stand that we will never ever travel to play on the road against a team that is "beneath" us then why should we ever criticize teams from major conferences for not coming to Fargo.

semobison
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
One game a year at the Civic Center. Bring in the best opponent we can get. It would be great for fans in that area, and good for NDSU. We do need to be North Dakotas team. I think it would draw extremely well. The Dakota Wizards, the NBA D league team draws well.

BisBison
01-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I read my post and I'm not sure I was clear. WE rented the Civic Center and WE were the home team. Mary was the visitor. I think we had about 3,000 in attendance, which was as many or more than we had in Fargo for the Mary game this year. Correct me if I am wrong. (I'm sure someone will) ;)

RodentiaX1
01-24-2007, 04:04 AM
A D-II school playing at an NAIA school is no big deal, but it would be highly unusual, to say the least, for a D-I school to play on the road against an NAIA team. I suppose it could be done if it helped promote the Bison. But when you're having enough trouble getting home non-conference games as it is, giving up one home game is giving up a lot.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-24-2007, 04:16 AM
I wouldn't mind playing a game in Bismark once a year against a non-conference D-I team, just for some exposure, but not Mary. We shouldn't travel to play lower-division schools.

NDSUFREAK10
02-10-2007, 02:40 AM
WE ARENT GOING TO PLAY IN BISMARK AND WE SHOULDNT!

TAILG8R
02-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, now that I have seen it in text that large, its all becoming much clearer. :D

Tatanka
02-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Definitely. If it's in a 36-point font, it has to be true. :-/

bisonranch
02-11-2007, 02:41 PM
WE ARENT GOING TO PLAY IN BISMARK AND WE SHOULDNT!

Ok Gene.

SDbison
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Thinking small again. :-/ Seems to be a problem that hopefully all NDSU fans will grow out of before the transition is officially done.

semobison
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
The T-wolves play a couple exhibition games in the Dakotas every year. Its about fan base. You dont want play out west, fine. Just dont complain about not being covered by the Bismarck Tribune. Im just greatful that all fans dont think like you. Now that would be a problem!

IowaBison
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Definitely. If it's in a 36-point font, it has to be true. :-/

I can personally guarantee that NDSU will never play in Bismark, ND, in any sport, ever.

semobison
02-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Ever is a very long time!

SDbison
02-11-2007, 08:37 PM
The T-wolves play a couple exhibition games in the Dakotas every year. Its about fan base. You dont want play out west, fine. Just dont complain about not being covered by the Bismarck Tribune. Im just greatful that all fans dont *think like you. Now that would be a problem!
Well if too many fans continued to think small NDSU would never have gone DI.

Wyoherdman
02-11-2007, 09:17 PM
As a western North Dakota native and a current resident of Wyoming, I don't quite understand the "We should never play in Bismarck" argument. Each year, the University of Wyoming plays one game in Casper instead of Laramie to get the fan base in that area of the state involved. I'm sure the fans appreciate not having to travel all the way to Laramie to see their team play. Plus, UW doesn't have any competition for fans in the state. They are the only four year school. How much would this benefit the marketing of NDSU in the state's fastest growing area. We don't have to play Mary or Minot. In fact we shouldn't. We should play a quality D-1 opponent there. Give the folks a taste of big time college basketball for one day a year. Change the perception that UND hockey is the biggest sport in the state. I can only forsee alot more green and gold clothing walking around, plus some more western ND fans travelling to Fargo for games. It seems like a complete "win" situation all the way around unless I'm totally missing something. I know its tough to get good games in Fargo right now but scheduling will become less difficult as the years go by. Sure seems like a smart move to me. Ok naysayers, shred away.

semobison
02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Trying to expand our fan base is thinking small? Getting some exposure in the western part of the state is thinking small? It probably wont happen soon, but I dont see how that is thinking small. The game doesnt have to be against Mary!

semobison
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
++++++++++++79F

IowaBison
02-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I think that playing in Bismarck, especially in men's basketball is a great idea.

An exhibition game every other year against Mary would be great. (Minot State?)

Maybe rotate between UMD and Mary.

DORMIE
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I think that a MBB game in Bismarck with U of Mary would be a no brainer. Coach Miles is a graduate. Football is a different story. We need the gate receipts. I don't see UND playing there in the near future either.