PDA

View Full Version : A Step Back

markerman
03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Can we take a step back and recognize where we are versus where we thought we were going to be (we being the collective public):

2003: Venture into DI with no conference affiliation
2007: Have secured a place in the premier FCS football conference and for all other sports, a stable, competitive conference.

2003: Believed recruiting would suffer due to lack of post-season/conference affiliation
2007: We are watching the best athletes ever to play at NDSU across the board

2003: Believed fan interest and attendance would dwindle during reclassification
2007: Record attendance for football, record numbers on message boards and unprecedented media coverage

2003: Future Frightening
2007: Future Enthralling

Anyone care to add???

ACES1180
03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Can we take a step back and recognize where we are versus where we thought we were going to be (we being the collective public):

2003: Venture into DI with no conference affiliation
2007: Have secured a place in the premier FCS football conference and for all other sports, a stable, competitive conference.

2003: Believed recruiting would suffer due to lack of post-season/conference affiliation
2007: We are watching the best athletes ever to play at NDSU across the board

2003: Believed fan interest and attendance would dwindle during reclassification
2007: Record attendance for football, record numbers on message boards and unprecedented media coverage

2003: Future Frightening
2007: Future Enthralling

Anyone care to add???

2003: Thought winning any kind of championship in football would be a difficult task
2007: Already have one conference title, probably considered the favorite for another one in 2007

roadwarrior
03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
2003: Rarely if ever mentioned on national media.
2007: Upset wins gain unprecented publicity for the school.

roadwarrior
03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
2003: Most athletic contests were against midwest opponents
2007: The Bison travel across the country to play the best competition possible

BisonMav
03-13-2007, 10:36 PM
2003: Will never be able to compete with the Big Ten
2007: Competed with and won Wisconsin BB, nearly won Minnesota FB

NDSU1980
03-14-2007, 02:32 AM
2003: UND to NDSU-we don't want to play you
2007: UND to NDSU-please, please, please, play us. And we are copying you and going D1.

Shawn-O
03-14-2007, 02:41 AM
2003: *UND to NDSU-we don't want to play you
2007: *UND to NDSU-please, please, please, play us. *And we are copying you and going D1.

The over/under was five posts, so congrats.

BisBison
03-14-2007, 02:44 AM
2007: *UND to NDSU-please, please, please, play us. *And we are copying you and going D1.

The over/under was five posts, so congrats. *

what ever shawn. all I've got to say to you is yawn,yawn, yawn. You are so tired, it makes me sleeeepy.

Bison_Dan
03-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Fact is Shawn you guys screwed up, in not moving up with NDSU - und did everything in their power to bad mouth and try to make the move a failure. Think about what was said by und officials and the fact und wouldn't play us in ANY sport. And you wonder why there are hard feelings? :o

MRBISON
03-14-2007, 01:26 PM
"The over/under was five posts, so congrats. "

If you are trying to make the point... that bison fans are obsessed with the sue......you might wanna consider the fact that you are the one coming to a Bison message board ::)

It would be like me going over to the sue board every day....waiting for NDSU to be mentioned.....then making a post saying how sue fans are so obsessed with NDSU.... ::) ::)

southpaw
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM

Fact is Shawn you guys screwed up, in not moving up with NDSU - und did everything in their power to bad mouth and try to make the move a failure. *Think about what was said by und officials and the fact und wouldn't play us in ANY sport. *And you wonder why there are hard feelings? * :o

i don't know if you can say und screwed up. it wasn't a good time for und to go d1... they still had some facilities to build and some money to get available. just because it worked for ndsu back in the day, doesn't mean it would have been as successful for und. also, i think it's a little early as we have yet to see how und's move to d1 will play out.

people can speculate that und won't have a conference and will be an independent for forever, however look how quickly the landscape changed for ndsu. we don't know if it will change for und, but it's not out of the possibility.

p.s. ndsu stopped playing und in baseball. they backed out on the contract, not und.

ACES1180
03-14-2007, 05:40 PM

Fact is Shawn you guys screwed up, in not moving up with NDSU - und did everything in their power to bad mouth and try to make the move a failure. *Think about what was said by und officials and the fact und wouldn't play us in ANY sport. *And you wonder why there are hard feelings? * :o

i don't know if you can say und screwed up. *it wasn't a good time for und to go d1... they still had some facilities to build and some money to get available. *just because it worked for ndsu back in the day, doesn't mean it would have been as successful for und. * also, i think it's a little early as we have yet to see how und's move to d1 will play out.

people can speculate that und won't have a conference and will be an independent for forever, however look how quickly the landscape changed for ndsu. *we don't know if it will change for und, but it's not out of the possibility.

p.s. *ndsu stopped playing und in baseball. *they backed out on the contract, not und. *

The baseball games ended because NDSU had chances to play more DI teams, which was the right decision.

southpaw
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM

i don't know if you can say und screwed up. *it wasn't a good time for und to go d1... they still had some facilities to build and some money to get available. *just because it worked for ndsu back in the day, doesn't mean it would have been as successful for und. * also, i think it's a little early as we have yet to see how und's move to d1 will play out.

people can speculate that und won't have a conference and will be an independent for forever, however look how quickly the landscape changed for ndsu. *we don't know if it will change for und, but it's not out of the possibility.

p.s. *ndsu stopped playing und in baseball. *they backed out on the contract, not und. *

The baseball games ended because NDSU had chances to play more DI teams, which was the right decision.

either way it still makes this statement: "und wouldn't play us in ANY sport" wrong.

why is it the "right decision" for ndsu to not play und, but und not playing ndsu is considered juvenile?

MRBISON
03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
It was juvenile for und.... because at that time...I don't think und had any reason not to play NDSU

granted....It might be a little juvenile now for NDSU not to play und.....but considering the way und and it's fans acted when NDSU went D1.... did you really think that und would be welcome into the Bison schedule with open arms?...................IMO.....it's the right decision

It's called payback......and it's a bitch ;)

ACES1180
03-14-2007, 09:05 PM

either way it still makes this statement: "und wouldn't play us in ANY sport" * wrong.

why is it the "right decision" for ndsu to not play und, but und not playing ndsu is considered juvenile?

I think it was the right decision because every other team at NDSU had moved on, so it was time for the baseball squad to do the same.

roadwarrior
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
This started out as a good thread, but then................ ::)

NorthernBison
03-14-2007, 09:40 PM

The same old same old....... :-[ :-[ :-[

southpaw
03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
It was juvenile for und.... because at that time...I don't think und had any reason not to play NDSU

granted....It might be a little juvenile now for NDSU not to play und.....but considering the way und and it's fans acted when NDSU went D1.... did you really think that und would be welcome into the Bison schedule with open arms?...................IMO.....it's the right decision

based on aces idea of the situation... it was ok for und to stop playing ndsu in all sports, because the sioux had stopped playing ndsu in football first. also, contrary to what many ndsu fans say, the sioux stopped playing ndsu in football because it hurt the sioux when it came to making the playoffs.

so, i say "I think it was the right decision because the football team at und had moved on, so it was time for the all the other squads to do the same. "

Bisonguy
03-14-2007, 11:04 PM

based on aces idea of the situation... it was ok for und to stop playing ndsu in all sports, because the sioux had stopped playing ndsu in football first. * also, contrary to what many ndsu fans say, the sioux stopped playing ndsu in football because it hurt the sioux when it came to making the playoffs.

so, i say "I think it was the right decision because the football team at und had moved on, so it was time for the all the other squads to do the same. "

That's incorrect. The DII strength of schedule index was revamped in 2004 (and subsequent years) so that games against I-AA opponents were not as much of a penalty as they were in the oft-quoted 2003 DII SSI.

bisonpride2k
03-14-2007, 11:18 PM

There was no contract. There was no agreeable date to play. Neither team backed out. It was mutual because of scheduling.

bisonpride2k
03-14-2007, 11:20 PM
2003: Will never be able to compete with the Big Ten
2007: Competed with and won Wisconsin BB, nearly won Minnesota FB

Won Minnesota baseball, won Iowa baseball, won Minnesota softball.

ACES1180
03-15-2007, 12:35 AM
2003 - Bison wrestlers competing in last Division II tournament
2007 - 3 Bison wrestlers competing at Division I tournament

NDSU1980
03-15-2007, 01:14 AM

It's probably somewhat my fault. I couldn't resist, but I should have known better. Sorry about that.