PDA

View Full Version : Babich's Future

BisonInTexas
10-14-2002, 07:07 PM
Most have probably already read this article in the Forum:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/?id=20772

The article states that Babich's job is secure due to the 3 year extension he signed after last season. Of course, we all know that a vote of confidence is revokable at any time. Question to the group, what record for this season will get Babich fired?

Craig

10-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Taylor is just saying that to save face. The Team Makers won't stand for this....and neither should any other alumni.

Team Makers will buy him out. I am sure of it. This is a lowest point in Bison football, since I've been a fan.

I was at a homecoming meeting today....Babich is not going to speak at the rally.....he's apparently afraid of being boo-ed off stage, or something to that effect.

At this point, the only allies Babich has, is the students - and now, some of them are turning on him.

I just can't believe what we've allowed him to do. Tonight.....Bison Feedback - 6:30PM 970AM WDAY Radio. You can also listen to it on the internet.

Babich is going to get lit up tonight by callers.

10-14-2002, 08:55 PM
I don't think his future is too bright now that we are on pace to have our 1st losing season since 1975. :'(

tony
10-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Obviously, the offense is terrible. I've posted the last five recruiting classes on the main site. Here's what I saw:

1998 - 25 total players, 14 stuck with the Bison (13 starters, 6 played as true freshmen), 2 very good players transferred to DI schools before fall camp, 4 played then quit
1999 - 24 players, 9 never played a down, 1 quit due to back problems, 13 still with the team, none have started except for in injury situations before this year.
2000 - 18 players, 5 never played a down (2 transferred to DI schools), 6 starters so far.
2001 - 24 players, 12 never played a down, 11 still on team, 1 starter so far.
2002 - 30 players, 8, maybe 9, are already playing, 29 are still on roster.

If Babich hadn't had to play those six freshman back in 1998 (two who were drafted in the NFL), this season would probably be looking a little better. 1998 was an excellent year, 1999 was a terrible year, 2000 was a bad year, 2001 was a terrible year, 2002 is looking like a very good year. Coach Babich is going to have to put two decent recruiting years together and find an offense, or this will be only the first losing season in a string.

siouxrock
10-14-2002, 11:18 PM
FIRE HIS BUT

The_Sicatoka
10-14-2002, 11:36 PM
OK, I smiled (really smiled) at Saturday's result, but I don't see a lack of talent at NDSU.

There are some tough injuries (on both sides) and it looks like the on-field team leadership for NDSU may have suffered a bit more. Are there enough older, leader-type guys out there to calm down all the youngin's?

I'll say it again: NDSU has a lot of very young talent out there maturing. It would make sense to me to make the strategic move of playing a young QB to mature along with the rest.

And one below 0.500 season would get Bob fired? No. But the rope would get shorter.

There's another problem to be addressed here as well: If NDSU fired Babich, would they be able to hire another coach in light of that coach having to face I(AA) probation AND rebuilding a down team? Sadly, that sounds like a job that you're just about guaranteed to be fired from in three seasons unless you really beat the odds.

Babich is in jeopardy only in the minds of fans, for now.

tony
10-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Hm. I don't think there is a record this year that would get Babich fired this year. Next year, when there's only one year left and if things haven't turned around in a big way, maybe then something will happen, but Team Makers Club really shouldn't be involved at all.

The first rule of Team Makers Club is "Raise money for Bison athletic scholarships."

The second rule of Team Maker Club is, "Don't interfere with the coaches."

The third rule of Team Makers Club is "If it's not raising money for scholarships, we don't do it."

Nobody wants to see $200K worth of scholarships pissed away. Any buying out of a coach's contract will be done by a group outside of Team Makers.

siouxrock
10-16-2002, 01:01 AM
FIRE HIM

BisonInTexas
10-17-2002, 03:15 AM
Tony,

I think you are right, but a 2-8 or 3-7 season this year will certainly make Taylor reconsider his decision. Even a 1-9 season is not out of the realm of possibility at this point. I don't care how many injuries you have, this is not Bison Football.

Craig

The_Sicatoka
10-17-2002, 04:03 PM
And one below 0.500 season would get Bob fired? No. But the rope would get shorter.

I'm thinking the length of that rope will be related to the ending number of wins.

JBB
10-17-2002, 04:29 PM
There's no doubt this is the worst state BISON football has been in for 37 years. *It could easily get worse. *But, as a Team Maker I would rather see the $200,000 go to scholarship endowments. *In fact I would contribute $100 to that fund right now. I wouldnt contribute a nickle to a firing fund.*

Babich has failed the program for a number of reasons. *He has had talent that has underperformed, he has let his ego insist he run the offense, he has failed to put together recruiting classes that have helped sustain the program, he has failed to assemble coaches that can maximize the talent he has, etc, etc, etc,.

Look on this as the first of a 6 year transitional period. *I agree that we couldn't attract a decent coach right now so let him run it out. *When he's done we will have our first 63 scholarship class on the bench and 3 years to go. *Get a new coach that can see the light at the end of the tunnel. *Let him fill the bench with 3 more years of 63 recruits. *In his first year of playoff eligibility he will have a full 63 scholarship team. *Things will be looking a lot better then.

When NDSU starts recruiting 63 full ride players we will start winning most of the recruiting wars. *The first class recruited will be Srs. in their first playoff eligible year. *I think that will attract many players. *By the time we are playoff eligible we will be loaded. *Ill take the best players from und, SCSU, Mankato and NDSU any day and expect big things from them.