PDA

View Full Version : Bison Football!

Bisonguy
06-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Let's talk Bison Football!!

Some random topics:

Is the offense going to open up(i.e. pass more) with the new OC, no Lamar, and a slew of WR's?

Any thoughts on the D1 decision?

Any news on the JuCo runningback that may sign with the Bison?

Anybody see if the Jumbotrons are going up yet?

Additional topics welcome

tony
06-20-2002, 08:46 PM
The offense - I just don't see how it could get anymore conservative than it was last year so it's bound to open up a little.

D1 - whatever NDSU decides, I'll back them.

No transfers that I know about and nothing new on the big screens after it was announced that they were approved.

Bisonguy
06-20-2002, 11:34 PM
I just saw the JuCo transfer thing on WDAY news earlier this week. His first name was Rob or Rod, and supposedly had verbally committed, but had not yet signed a letter of intent. He was one of the best JuCo running backs in Minnesota, 6' 2" 205. My info is a little fuzzy, I was making supper at the time.

tony
06-21-2002, 12:11 AM
They must be talking about Rod Malone from Rochester CC. He had 208 rushes, 1360 yards, and 18 TDs last year. In HS, he was overshadowed a little bit by his teammate Dominique Sims but he was plenty good and would provide some good depth at RB.

06-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know where Tyler Evans signed? He was the RB from McLeod West High School in MN and I think he was the MN player of the year. 502 rushes for 3,673 yards and 47 TD's last year. I heard the UofM showed a little interest but I also read a while back that NDSU was recruiting him. Although he played at the lowest level in MN, those are some damn good numbers, dare I say outstanding numbers.

Bisonguy
06-22-2002, 12:25 AM
They must be talking about Rod Malone from Rochester CC. He had 208 rushes, 1360 yards, and 18 TDs last year. In HS, he was overshadowed a little bit by his teammate Dominique Sims but he was plenty good and would provide some good depth at RB.

That's the guy.

tony
06-22-2002, 03:37 AM
Tyler Evans is going to USD last I heard.

06-24-2002, 02:51 PM
I support the Bison in their division I move, but as I see it the only financially feasible option here is to make a new conference of primarily existing NCC schools; i.e., convincing MSU, SCSU, and UNO to join those already considering a move to division I. This would also give teams more incentive in the interim years when they would be ineligible for post-season play, as they could play for a conference championship. Additionally, such a league could set their own standards for scholarships at the outset, which would be achievable by all the schools. Ideally this would be increased to the division I-AA maximum before long. PurpleMav

tony
06-26-2002, 09:38 PM
A D1AA NCC is the best option in almost every way but I doubt NDSU would go for being part of league that limits scholarships below the D1-AA maximum - who wants to be the NSIC of D1AA?

The only way I can see NDSU or anybody agreeing to that is if it is agreed that the new conference will be up to the max by the time the five years is up.

06-28-2002, 04:37 AM
I dont think an all NCC D1 is the best option. The best option is for NDSU to move up and combine with new schools in a new all sports conference including D1AA football and D1 other sports. Its time to get rid of the NCC. One or two schools ok, maybe NDSU, SDSU and UNC, but thats it. Lets get Wyoming, Idaho, Davis, Southern Utah. Lets get out of the box and make something bigger and better.

The Gateway is a football only conference. Maybe its time for them to move into an all sports conference that includes NDSU? There are just too many great options out there to get stuck on the idea that the NCC is where we have to be. I think its where we have to get out of.

The NCC is dead. Leave the remains for the suck.

tony
06-30-2002, 03:46 PM
JBB, the NCC is a great conference so I'd hate to see it disappear. From a travel standpoint, nothing comes close. Is it just the idea of putting up with UND's BS that makes you lukewarm to the idea?

06-30-2002, 07:12 PM
I dont think the entire NCC can move up. UNC has made the move, NDSU will (I think), SDSU and USD are leaning. I dont know what UNC plans to do, but its questionable they would stay with us. They dont seem that enamored with the NCC.

It plausable that und will stay D2. But my guess is they are publicly against the move and are working hard to stop it. Privately they are getting ready.

I think their arguments against the move are valid for them, but they dont really apply to NDSU/Fargo. Fargo and Grand Forks are different markets and there is far more potential in Fargo. I just hope they have sense enough to listen to what they are saying and to follow their own advice.

Its going to be much harder for them. They have the hockey revenues but with the womens program they must be getting a little stretched. Combine that with revenue losses that are looming from the potential of NDSU hockey and that purse has to be getting a little tight.

Their football stadium is a little small. Potential football revenues at NDSU are at least $300,000/yr over the hilarious. I think we will capture most of those with the move, but Im not sure a D1AA NCC schedule will bring in the fans. I think we need new blood.

Keeping a few of the NCC schools seems probable, but I think we have to get used to the idea that the NCC as we know it is dead. I dont think thats all bad.

Our geographic reach is going to expand its just a question now of who we are going to be aligned with.

07-03-2002, 05:06 AM
Just talked to Tony about this actually....a buddy of mine just talked to Wade Kittleson and DeShawn Perkins....they arrived nicely in Austria.

For those of you who don't know....they're now part of an Austrian Football team.....Wade says he's been promised to start. Not sure about DP. They'll be joined by Jeremy Peschel, formerly of VCSU Vikings.

07-10-2002, 03:39 AM
If NDSU goes D1....UND will too.....I would almost bet on it. We always seem to go back and forth. NDSU gets a dome....UND gets the Alerus. UND gets jumbotrons, NDSU is putting them in this summer. NDSU wins 8 national championships, UND wins 1....oh wait, that didn't work :)

Sioux Suck

I dont think the entire NCC can move up. *UNC has made the move, NDSU will (I think), SDSU and USD are leaning. *I dont know what UNC plans to do, but its questionable they would stay with us. *They dont seem that enamored with the NCC.

It plausable that und will stay D2. But my guess is they are publicly against the move and are working hard to stop it. Privately they are getting ready. *

I think their arguments against the move are valid for them, but they dont really apply to NDSU/Fargo. *Fargo and Grand Forks are different markets and there is far more potential in Fargo. I just hope they have sense enough to listen to what they are saying and to follow their own advice.

Its going to be much harder for them. *They have the hockey revenues but with the womens program they must be getting a little stretched. *Combine that with revenue losses that are looming from the potential of NDSU hockey and that purse has to be getting a little tight. *

Their football stadium is a little small. *Potential football revenues at NDSU are at least $300,000/yr over the hilarious. *I think we will capture most of those with the move, but Im not sure a D1AA NCC schedule will bring in the fans. * I think we need new blood.

Keeping a few of the NCC schools seems probable, but I think we have to get used to the idea that the NCC as we know it is dead. *I dont think thats all bad. *

Our geographic reach is going to expand its just a question now of who we are going to be aligned with.

07-24-2002, 12:22 AM
hey hey

I was just in the dome this weekend for USA Wrestling, no jumbotrons yet. I also saw on the daktronics website

http://www.daktronics.com/dak_news_releases.cfm?page=1752

what/where they will be installed - sounds pretty sweet!!

I had something else to say, but I forgot what it was...hmm...

well, either way, sioux suck

07-26-2002, 04:07 AM
Winona is first. I think the BISOn have to score 35 to win this one.
The defense could suprise but Winona will have two very good wide receivers and a great QB testing our secondary. Remember what they did against the national champs. its the same team, even better because they will be at full strength.

The NDSU D line could be the difference. If they can penetrate and disrupt the Winona passing game it might look a lot like the last North West Mis. state game.

On the other side of the ball NDSU is going to have to develop some kind of possession game. We dont have the great back anymore but we do have the great O line. I think it is going to dominate the Winona D line. If we can do that we can move on the ground.

My big question mark is coaching. We have it under control for defense. Bradley is running a great defensive scheme. The problem is offense. We are sorely lacking at good offensive coaching, not only in player development but in game plan as well. If we cant improve here this is a geme we can lose.

Trainer
07-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Yes JBB,
This is a game we definitely can lose. If Winona can move the ball with their controlled passing game, we are in trouble. Winona is no patsy. Definitely better than Angelo and Western State last year. Four things scare me about this years Bison team. The positions of runningback, quarterback, middle linebacker, and definitely the lack of coaching on offense. I just wonder how much control coach Caruso will have over the offense. If Babich can stay to himself, the offense most likely will be all right. Just don't throw too many wide receiver screens and start hitting the tight ends over the middle. All the unknowns make for a very interesting year for the Bison. I can't wait...
JD

08-01-2002, 02:49 PM
....did you mean inside linebacker?

I hear Lief Murphy's going to miss the Winona game cause of surgery. He should be in, in time for Cal-Davis, though

We'll be tough on defense.........Casey Bradley will make sure of it. I have confidence in him.

...how Glenn Caruso handles the offensive reigns, though, is another matter.

sioux suck

Trainer
08-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Sorry....inside linebacker. Even though Josh and Brian have had some experience at ILB, I'm very cautious because they are sooooo important to Bradley's defense. Coaching the defense was alot less difficult with LeClair, Kittleson, and Simmers handling the inside chores. Gotta have faith right? I just don't know how the offense is going to handle the loss of Lamar. Ya, that's a bummer about Murphy. The guy has a real chance to progress to the NFL. JD

08-03-2002, 04:57 AM
Who is A. Woodstrom?

tony
08-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Beyond that A. Woodstrom was long snapper on the spring game roster and his first name is Allen, I know nothing about him.

10-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Hey, I just got off the phone with a buddy

Jared Peck got let go from the Rams.

too bad....I would have liked to see him make it with the Rams