PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Speed

Bisonguy
02-16-2003, 06:13 AM
This is somewhat an other sport topic, but who thinks some NCC DB's will be looking at the backsides of Johnson and Burrell? ;D

FINAL MEET RESULTS
Bison Open
Saturday, February 8, 2003
Bison Sports Arena

Men’s 55-Meter Dash

FINALS

1. Marques Johnson, North Dakota State.................... 6.30 *

2. Star Roberts, unattached........................................ ....... 6.38

3. Allen Burrell, North Dakota State............................ 6.41

4. Jeff Konigbager, Jamestown......................................... 6.49 *

5. Harry Mills, Minot State............................................. ... 6.50 *

6. Marc Brown, unattached........................................ ....... 6.51

7. Pat Irgens, North Dakota State.................................. 6.57

Men’s 200-Meter Dash

1. Marques Johnson, North Dakota State.................. 21.86

2. Star Roberts, unattached........................................ ..... 21.99

3. Allen Burrell, North Dakota State......................... 22.44

4. Justin Schiele, North Dakota...................................... 22.59

5. Pat Irgens, North Dakota State............................... 22.74

6. Jared Essler, North Dakota State........................... 22.81

02-17-2003, 06:12 AM
"This is somewhat an other sport topic, but who thinks some NCC DB's will be looking at the backsides of Johnson and Burrell? "

I THINK there is a big difference between track speed and football speed... ;D

JBB
02-17-2003, 02:03 PM
I think fast is fast. Of course they wont be that fast on the field but everyone is handicapped about the same. Johnson was fast last year. Ive never seen Burrell.

tony
02-17-2003, 02:20 PM
All things being equal, I'll take WRs that are running sub :07 60 meters in track over DBs that run 4.25 40s when the other team's coaches are timing them. Heck, Burrell is already running faster than Richard Lewis did.

NCC DBs are going to have trouble keeping up.

Bisonguy
02-17-2003, 10:48 PM
[quote author=The One link=board=news;num=1045376035;start=0#1 date=02/17/03 at 00:12:03

I THINK there is a big difference between track speed and football speed... ;D[/quote]

Yeah, the difference being that track speed is official, while football speed is not. It's amazing how 4.5 speed becomes a "4.4", and then a "4.3" in football. :o

02-20-2003, 05:12 AM
There is a huge difference between track speed and football speed. Some guys are just not fast in pads while others who may not run the fastest 100m, are naturals with incredible game speed. When I saw NDSU in Davis, it was apparent that the Ags were so much quicker than the Bison, especially the Davis defense. Now none of those guys playing defense for UCD have incredible speed, if they did they would be at Sac State or Cal Poly. But what many of them do have is excellent quickness and game speed. Two of the top 3 receivers ever at UC Davis were not even fast guys. If Michael Oliva could run a 4.4 he would be a first day draft pick. John Shoemaker was a guy who probably ran a 4.8 but he constantly was getting behind the defense for 70+ yard touchdowns. On the flipside there are a ton of track guys that for whatever reason look great in practice but do not have gamespeed or ability.

tony
02-20-2003, 06:21 AM
You're comparing apples and oranges. If UC Davis's WR beat NDSU DBs deep that doesn't mean the NDSU's WRs aren't fast. I didn't see NDSU getting beat deep anyway. In fact, deep balls were the only thing that NDSU seemed to be able to defend all day.

NFL teams don't place more importance on game speed of WR's than their actual speed - and I have to believe that if there was a huge or even marginal advantage to "game speed", they'd be all over it.

02-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 at Mississippi Valley State.
TO ran a 4.5 coming out of UTC.

If you want to compare your guys to something, your 4.4 receivers couldn't get behind our 4.6 safeties all night. Further, our receivers were behind your db's but we had a qb starting his third career game and he doesnt have much of an arm. My point was that track speed (NDSU) does not always translate to game speed (DAVIS). You guys had a pathetic offensive showing despite outweighing our defensive front by 45 pounds per man. Why is that? Does Davis have a bunch of guys that are tremendous athletes? No they do not, because if you are a tremendous athlete in California you get a scholarship, something that UCD does not have. How then do you say that UCD was able to contain the passing attack of these speedy receivers with db's that are not fast and an undersized front? I'm glad you asked, they have guys that have football speed and are quick but not fast. Thanks for asking.

Bisonguy
02-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Roger,

Allen Burrell is a transfer this year. He did not play for NDSU last year. Marques Johnson was not up to "speed" last year at the Aggie game. He improved a lot over the season. The Aggie fans on the d2football site commented on Johnson's speed. You must have been watching a different game. ::)

tony
02-20-2003, 04:22 PM
I think that we agree that speed isn't everything for a WR - catching the ball and running the right route is job #1 after all.

Bisonguy
02-20-2003, 10:48 PM
tony,

very true, but it helps a WR if the DB is five yards behind him and the QB can get the ball to him.

JBB
02-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Which is what I hear happened a lot at Davis except the passes were not on target and balls were dropped.

tony
02-21-2003, 03:46 PM
I do remember one play where Johnson opened up a five-yard gap between the DB, and like Bisonguy said, the ball wasn't on target - although it was pretty close.

Lo and behold, the Forum does a story on the two WRs/sprinters: Burrell and Johnson story (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/cache/?id=28141). I have really liked that NDSU's coaching staff let guys run track - hope the policy continues because Johnson, Burrell, Essler, and Donte Pettis are a big part of the track team.

Bisonguy
03-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Looks like the tandem really are the fastest two guys in the NCC:

Bison Get 14 Top-Two Finishes, Roll To 16th NCC Indoor Title

2003-03-01

NDSU's MARQUES JOHNSON and ALLEN BURRELL followed in the 60-meter dash with the top two finishes in that event. Johnson ran a 6.79 to win the 60 meters and Burrell finished in 6.82. That duo repeated the 1-2 effort in the 200-meter dash later in the afternoon. Johnson won the 200 with a time of 21.44 and Burrell was second with a 21.69.

Congrats to the men's and women's indoor track teams for conference titles.