PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback?

BisonMav
03-07-2003, 12:29 AM
With the coaching change, recruiting etc. Any idea of who will be QB next season? Bohl is coming from Nebraska which is known to run a few option plays. The Bison have great speed at receiver. Jordan, Muscha, Walker, Stauss or someone else. In 1983, Bosch, Hammerschmidt and Barta started 1,2,3 (maybe not in that order). Jeff Bentrim became a starter due to injuries etc and the rest is history. Also would Bobby Grandas have been in the running had he stayed?

KTF
03-07-2003, 12:45 AM
I would think that with experience and talent that Stauss bring from Northwestern that he would be starting. If I recall Jason Jordan has taken but a few snaps. As far as the rest, have they even played in a game in the past year? I don't recall anybody playing except Gorder last year. Even in the ST. Cloud game, Gorder played until the last minutes of the game. Does SU have enough talent at QB to split the roles?

Bison_Kent
03-07-2003, 01:18 AM
I am not sure what offense Bohl is going to run. He was a defensive coach so I am not sure we will see the Nebraska option as the NDSU offense. It seems like the players we have right now are taylor made for a more passing style offense with some power running out something like the "I" formation.

I think there will always be a little option in the Bison attack but for the most part believe it will be a passing attack. We have a high school honorable mention all-American quarterback and three speedsters at the wide receiver position.

I think Strauss will be the quarterback for sure. He has the most talent and most up-side. You don't just start at a Big 10 school for nothing. I think the reason he wasn't very successful at Northwestern is due to the lack of a supporting cast.

Bob_Holiday
03-07-2003, 01:43 AM
I sure that Stauss will be given the oppurtunity to start. Its probably his to lose. The one name you didn't mention is reshirt freshman Ted Pelzer. He's a pretty talented kid. I'm not sure that he is as good a thrower as either Walker or Stauss. Babich told me that he would be starting this year, but that was before Stauss transferred to NDSU and Babich left the scene.

Go Bison,

Bob

Schemer
03-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Someone asked Bohl at the press conference (cause I was there) what team he could compare his offense to.

He said the Tennesse Titans.

From what I hear Strauss is a pocket passer, and that's what got him in trouble at Northwestern. Steve McNair is a quarterback who can scramble. Can Strauss scramble? Alot of previous NDSU QB's sure could (Ryan Johnson, Kevin Feeney, to name a couple recent ones)....and they didn't look the prettiest but they got the job done.

NDSU_grad
03-10-2003, 10:04 PM
I think I remember reading something that came out of the Northwestern camp when Stauss decided to transfer. Somebody asked him what kind of offense the Bison ran and he said it was mostly drop back but that a few rollout passes were incorporated. He sounded pretty confident he could handle that, so I think he may have a little scrambling ability.