PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game Comments

Bisonguy
04-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Tony Stauss is good. Really good. ;D ;D Quick release, powerful arm, and the ability to get the ball to the open guy. 9 for 12 in the first half(one drop) and 9 for 10 in the second half.

Steffes and Malone look like a great 1-2 combo. Malone had a nice 70 yard TD run against the #1 D in the second half.

I just saw more TD passes to a tight end in one game, than in the entire history of Bison Football.

Same goes for pass attempts to the fullback.

Defense looks like it still needs some work.

Kicking game looked good, but Bonicelli could outpunt the coverage if he doesn't get the ball high enough. Most of his punts were caught over 50 yards.

Edit: Stauss was officially 17 for 22(I must have missed an incompletion), 153 yards, no picks.

KTF
04-26-2003, 10:55 PM
I would agree with Bisonguy, Stauss is really good! He was impressive, definitely will be the starter!

The defense was good but was unable to stop Stauss and company. This is a credit to Stauss not a slam on the defense, as they seemed to gel better in the second half.

Being only a few rows from the sidelines, I thought that the players didn't look like they had a lot of fight in them. Seemed to shrug off the coaches alot, didn't think that was good but they are also getting used to a new system.

Otherwise I was very impressed with what I saw. I definitely think that these coaches are starting to build a great team!

Bisonguy
04-26-2003, 11:28 PM
I was somewhat disappointed with Jason Jordan's perfomance. I'm confident that he could have performed a lot better. I think Pelzer should back up Stauss, by today's performance. Stauss was impressive, hitting the receivers in the numbers every time.

I think Steffes has a bright future with the Bison. He has good vision and lateral movement.

I think the opposing team QB's may feel a little pressure once the D comes together. They threw six guys at the QB a few times.

Breakdown of playcalling(I may have missed a few, but it's pretty close):

First half- Gold Team - 13 passing, 7 rushing
Green Team- 5 passing, 5 rushing

Second half- Gold Team- 10 passing, 13 rushing
Green Team- 14 passing, 11 rushing

There's a pretty wicked PA bootleg pass to the TE that was used for a couple TD's. Stauss has an awesome ball fake, and the TE was ususally WIDE open (nearest defender 10 yards away).

Bisonguy
04-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Okay, I just checked the stats from the Official Bison Site (http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=467) and something was definitely messed up. They have Mike Wieser leading all receivers with 5 receptions for 47 yards and two TD's. They also have DelaBarre with one TD from 20 yards out. That's messed up. Tight Ends are supposed to block, right? Oh yeah, Johnny Frank is listed with two receptions. Now I know something is messed up, because FB's cannot catch the ball.

I think I might like this new offense ;D ;D. It looks like it will be flexible and change to what the defense is giving.

Bob_Holiday
04-27-2003, 04:55 PM
That tightend deep over the middle, what a a weapon that will be. The passing game will get even better when the wide outs learn the correct angles on those slants.

The d-line was running stunts, maybe I haven't noticed, but I don't remember them doing that in the past

The players were shrugging their shoulders once in a while, but I think its a matter of them not really understanding the new philosophies. They were being coached and told what they needed to do differently and didn't completely understand. These are very bright young men and I'm sure with more experience and tape watching the lights will come on.

The defense was missing so many kids, hopefully by August that will change.

Go Bison

Bob Holiday

Schemer
04-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Remember too, Allen Burrell and Marques Johnson were not there. They were at the Drake Relays this weekend.

No one on defense stuck out in my mind. The D Line got some decent penetration on a couple plays, but nothing spectacular. Maybe I'm beefing on little Babich, but come on...let's play a little 'bump and run' , not this play 10 yards off Jake Johnson. A receiver, might I add, who is a posession guy, not much of a deep threat.

I met Tony Stauss's parents in the Varsity Mart. They were really nice people. They said Tony likes NDSU way better than Northwestern. Probably something to do with how he left the school, change in coaching staff, etc. Also, his mom said the two premier receivers (Burrell, Johnson) are just as fast as anything in the Big10 he'd thrown to. Nice to know.

Bison_Kent
04-28-2003, 12:22 AM
I agree with the defensive call. I thought Bohl said he was going to have an attacking style of defense. Playing off on wide receivers will allow the opposing offense to get short passes off and inch down the field. If the corners play up, it will take the short pass away to the wide receivers and force the opposing quarterback to either throw to his running backs or to run. That is if a descent pass rush happens.

As for the offense (from what I have read), it sounds like it will be very explosive. It seems very impressive. I can't wait see them work against an opposing defense.