PDA

View Full Version : 1913 SDSU-NDSU GAME, *JBB is family in this game

SDSUFAN
07-05-2003, 06:59 PM
JBB:
I am doing research and hope to be able to publish a biography of the first African American to play for SDSU. Cleveland Abbott is his name and he went on to be a coaching legend at Tuskegee University. *If I have defended Tuskegee for not participating in the playoff's on D2.Football.com, its because what I know about Cleve. Its another story in its self.

In going through the Brookings Register micro films, I have the game story of 1913, between SDSU and NDSU. The game that was played in Sioux Falls rather than Brookings. The reason was that NDSU coach was the well respected Howard Wood. A real legend starting high school sports in Sioux Falls. In fact the field that Augie plays on is named Howard Wood Field. At any rate, the 1913 story lists the NDSU line up with a Left Guard named Bjornson. HMM!!!! could that be some of your kin JBB? *I know you have a long time connection with NDSU in terms of family.
By the way this was one game *where the Jacks won. The score 7-6. That has not happen much since 1963.

Here is the story:

STATE DEFEATS N.D. AGGIES Sept 25, 1913

The State College football team triumphed over the North Dakota Agriculture College at Sioux Falls on Saturday Afternoon. The margin of the victory was a narrow one 7 to 6, and the failure of North Dakota to kick a goal lost them the chance to tie the score. However, all the reports indicate that the local team had all the best of the arguement and only hard luck-or maybe it should be called poor playing-prevented Brookings from scoring a couple time more. South Dakota had the ball within striking distance of their opponents's goal four times in the last half of the game, but fumbles of forward passes and a vigorous defense by the North Dakota prevented a score.

The local team went down to Sioux Falls Friday morning and on Saturday morning a special train left here carrying about 150 students and townspeople, with the State College band. *Many went overland by auto and this crowd togethar with the alumni and old students who gathered from different parts of the state gave Brookings an effective rooting brigade. The State College also had many friends among the Sioux Falls people, but most of the citizens of that town were yelling for North Dakota, as Coach Wood is well known and popular in the Falls City.
The Sioux Falls Press says:
"Coach Wood's aggregation of husky North Dakota Aggies were humbled yesterday on the local gridiron by the eleven from South Dakota Agriculture College by a score 7 to 6. Though outweighted on an average of two pounds per man, the Brookings squad overcame the handicap and through a rapid shift of plays and quick formations broke the stonewall line of their rivals from the north.

This had to broke down into two parts this being the end of Part 1.

SDSUFAN
07-05-2003, 07:01 PM
PART 2

"The game was interesting though not spectacular. North Dakota excelled in tackling and their line was much stronger than that of their opponents. *State on the other hand played more consistently and succeeded in using the forward pass on one or two occassions for substantial gains. The Fargo team made its gains principally on end runs at which it excelled.

"At the opening of the contest the North Dakota eleven started down the field by line plunges as though they were going to make a contest a very one-sided affair.
They had approached within 30 yards of the Brookings goalline before the Coyote Aggies(SDSU) recovered and from the that time on North Dakota carrried no fears of State. Caulkins, Bolsinger and Odell featured the game for the Fargo Squad, while Sheehan easily starred for South Dakota.
The game was marked by the general absence of open play, the forward pass falling ignominiously in a vast majority of times it was attempted. Old style football was the order.
" Between the halves the spectators were entertained by a parade of South Dakota spectators of the South Dakota Agriculture College students carrying a large banner representing their college, and headed by the State College band. *A clown band from Sioux Falls high school also was the source of *considerable amusement.

"The second half was all for South Dakota but nothing was made in the scoring line. In the third quarter South Dakota punted and regained it on North Dakota's 17 yard line but after carrying it to the eight yard line Odell intercepted a pass and spoiled a possible score.
"Again South Dakota was within an ace of winning when Caulkins blocked a beautiful pass on North Dakota's one yard line. Again South attempted a pass on 10 yard line but failed. Sheenan later tried a drop kick from the 10 yard line which failed.

"In the last quarter a scored appeare ineveitable when North Dakota's punt was blocked and barely regained on the 5 yard line . A perfect punt from behind the goal sent the ball to safety in the center of the field and when the final whistle blew North Dakota was again striving to carry the ball out of its own territory. The ball died on the North Dakota's 24 yard line."

Following was the line-up:

South Dakota * * * * * * * * * * * * North Dakota
Abbott * * * * * * * * * * *c * * * * * * Kelly
Stevens * * * * * * * * * *rg * * * * * Edwards
Nelson * * * * * * * * * * *lg * * * * * *Bjornson
Webber * * * * * * * * * *rt * * * * * *Mickelson
Hanson * * * * * * * * * *re * * * * * *Osby
Chappell * * * * * * * * *le * * * * * * Presicks
Sheehan * * * * * * * * *qb * * * * * Caulkins
Johnson * * * * * * * * * lt * * * * * * Abbott
Caldwell * * * * * * * * * lb * * * * * *Bolsinger
Bushey * * * * * * * * * * rh * * * * * *Berner
Peterson * * * * * * * * * fb * * * * * *Odell
Officals-Eiseman, of Stanford University, referee, Hammond of Lafayette, umpire; Hochstetter of Huron head linesman. * * * * * * * *

SDSUFAN
07-05-2003, 07:10 PM
My own comments on the game.

This was one of the more detailed article I found on SDSU football at the time. *Football was still very new as a sport and the writers seem have a completely different style when compared to current articles. The writer refererred to SDSU as the Coyote Aggies. *The reason for that is that both schools were often referred to as Aggies and the coyote is the state animal for South Dakota. *The article mentions end runs, it makes you wonder did Howard Wood use the veer?

Also SDSU seemed to gamble too much with forward passes when, they were so close to goal. To NDSU's credit, they played very good defense.

It kind of ironic as the Carr Report has recommended that SDSU play some games in Sioux Falls to build a better following. In reading this article, Carr's recommendation was hardly new, but probably a very good one.

purplemavfan
07-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the historical account, SDSU Fan.......on a similar note, my wife and I visited friends in Brookings a few weeks ago, and visited the Ag museum on campus. In the gift shop was a book concerning SDSU history, and within it states that the Jacks beat the Wisconsin Badgers in 1935 or 1936. I imagine this created quite a stir at the time in SD; do you have any information on it?

SDSUFAN
07-06-2003, 07:09 PM
PurpleMavFan:
Yes I am aware of the win over the Badgers. They have recently had team reunions, but most of the squad is getting up in age and many are no longer among the living. It was kind of fluke as if you look at the rest of the record, they did not do that well in terms of wins and losses.

I dont know what book you were looking at, but I do know that the SDSU Alumni Association is publishing *a book that will be available this fall. Its called "College on the Hill". *I dont think that was the book that you looked at, as I was shown some of the draft proofs *a few weeks ago by the Alumni Director. * One of the chapters will be on this particular win over Wisconsin. I think the score was 13 to 6 so they obviously got some good breaks and hung for a win. *This book coming out will cover more than sports. They had a nameless person run for Student Body President in 1942, and there is a chapter on that. What a prank.

One of the most interesting things about SDSU athletic history is that *C. A Jack West was the coach after Harry Buck Ewing, who was the coach in 1913 game, *and coached through 1929 I believe. The U Of North Dakota hired West away from SDSU for $3,000 more than what SDSU paid Coach West. Look at the NCC winners of football, in the 1930's. UND had several NCC championships all because SDSU could not match the pay offered by UND. I guess we never learn.

JBB
07-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Yes that is Dick Bjornson, he is my great uncle on the my fathers side. He was a BISON team captain on the 1915 squad.

Here's what they said about him:

S.K. "Dick" Bjornson

"Dick" who is one of the very best linemem ever developed at this Institution, was elected to lead the team of 1915. In the 3 games in which he participatd he showed the old fight and spirit that characterized his playing in previous years. The "Old War Horse" has another year to play and you can rest assured that this coming season he will make up for the that he had to lose in 1915.

(Alex Nemzek was also a captain on the 1915 team)

For some reason my uncle only played in three games that year. He must have been injured or ill, but nobody in the family can remember exactly what happened. His daughter Mary Jane Bettz passed away last summer and Dick is no longer with us.

In the season summary it goes on to say:

"Captain Dick" although not in condition to take part in most of our games deserves great priase for his spirit, aggressiveness and fight, especially when we consider his physical condition. It is to be regrettered that Dick was not at his best the year of his captiancy. He will be there with the strength of a "Bull Tractor" next fall.

In 1915 they played Whapeton and Jamestown and were 2-0. Next they dropped a game to St. Thomas, We suffered some injuries in that game. It says "the Aggies outplayed the Irish all of the last half, and, but for the injuries, would have certainly tied the game. "

We went on to beat Fargo College and lost 2 more lineman to injury.

"The Fargo College and St. Thomas games put "Cat" and "Buck" on the sidelines. "Bolly" was in better condition for a ride in a hearse than for a foot ball game. "Macs" legs were about to leave him, and "Curley" sprained his ankle two days before the und game."

We didnt beat them that year but, it says "The fighting spirit of the team as a whole was wonderful"

My Uncle returned for the South Dakota game (Im not sure which school it just says South Dakota). It doesnt give the score but does say "that although batterd the game was better than the score indicates. Capt. Dick was in the best condition of the season and played in something like his old form. We think every member of the squad gave us all they had to give."

They were looking ahead to 1916 feeling optomistic about the team.

The last paragraph is entertaining:

"The resume of most athletic teams generally reads like the biographies of the dead, i.e., 'Nothing but the good deeds of the deceased are brought to light.' But in this article truth and facts have been substituted in certain instances for flowers and compliments, for the good of the cause."

SDSUFAN
07-07-2003, 01:10 AM
JBB:
Thats very interesting. *Your Grand Uncle was apparently quite a player. *I looked at the SDSU year books and boy they did have a great deal of pads and I dont think they had much of a helmet either. Its a wonder that they did not get hurt more. *Cleveland Abbott grew up in Watertown SD. He started his first game in 1912 at center and missed only one game due to injuries. Cleve Abbott is the first person from SDSU to get recognition on a all star team, other than that of South Dakota Colleges. He was All Norwestern Center his senior year that would have been 1915.

*The guy your Grand Uncle played opposite of at Left guard, was Lewis Nelson from Oldham South Dakota, a small town between Brookings and Madison.
Lewis went on to be a MD, and thats about all I know.

As far as USD, they were very good during that era, and they had a guy named Gene Vidal. That is the author Gore Vidal's Dad. Your Grand Uncle played against interesting people.

I only have one NDUS media guide and *and I can not locate it off hand, but as I recall, Howard Wood coaching career at NDSU lasted only a few years.

Those South Dakota coaches Howard Wood and Bob Danielson, have not had much luck with coaching the Bison.