PDA

View Full Version : Scholarships

NDSBISON04
07-25-2003, 04:06 AM
NDSU Financially Hands out different kind of scholarships in terms of money. *

When kids get scholarships are some worth more than others and if so what kind of players get better scholarships. I heard from somewhere that in-state players don't get big scholarships until they prove themselves. I know alot of guys take redshirts, but have no idea which players are prioritized.

Were the NDSU recruits: *Jaydn Nelson, Matt Weidler, and Andy Thoreson offered the same amount, or was it personal preference for them to play d1 instead of naia. What determines if a player wants to play NAIA or at NDSU, and what is most likely what influenced these guys.

tony
07-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Each player has their own reasons for picking a school.

The facilities, the academic programs, the likelihood of getting playing time, the amount of the scholarship offered, the attractiveness of the lawn-care crew*, the coaching staff, the proximity to your home town (can't be too close for some, can't be too far for others), the desire to be part of a particular program, etc. - one or more of these could be the deciding factor for an individual. One thing is certain - all football players do not have the same personalities.

The guy who runs MinnesotaPreps.com is trying to provide some guidance in the recruiting process here:
Minnesota Preps (http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=921&fid=1456&style=1)

* OK, the lawn-care crew probably never decided it for a football player but when I was picking a college (and I know five or six other guys my age who say the same thing), one look at the girls that NDSU used to have doing lawn maintenance in the summer tilted the balance from my second choice to NDSU like an anvil dropping on a see-saw.

NDSBISON04
07-25-2003, 03:39 PM
tony,

It's all about the ladies isn't it :). Thanks for the info.

MN_BISONS
07-25-2003, 04:35 PM
[quote author=NDSBISON04
I heard from somewhere that in-state players don't get big scholarships until they prove themselves.

What determines if a player wants to play NAIA or at NDSU, and what is most likely what influenced these guys.[/quote]

It doesn't matter if you are from Cavalier or Chicago, if you can play, you'll get the money. As far as what determines if a player wants to play naia or at NDSU, well Tony pretty much nailed that one. If you want to go to a college that is like high school, pick a naia school in ND or anywhere esle for that matter. If you are looking for something more out of a university and want to play with better players and against better players, then pick SU or other higher profile teams. Just my two cents of course.

BisonInTexas
07-25-2003, 08:10 PM
It doesn't matter if you are from Cavalier or Chicago, if you can play, you'll get the money. As far as what determines if a player wants to play naia or at NDSU, well Tony pretty much nailed that one. If you want to go to a college that is like high school, pick a naia school in ND or anywhere esle for that matter. If you are looking for something more out of a university and want to play with better players and against better players, then pick SU or other higher profile teams. Just my two cents of course.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, although for sentimental reasons, I think the guy from Cavalier should get the scholarship. :)

As far as what the ND recruits were offered, it is important to note that just because you are recruited doesn't mean you get a scholarship either. I know lots of guys (mostly from ND) back in the day that were "signed" as recruits and publicized as such but didn't receive scholarships at the start. They were recruited, but weren't good (or judged to be good) enough to receive a scholarship. A lot of those guys eventually received scholarships because they were playing. I also knew a lot of guys that received scholarships that never played a down and had their scholarships yanked. It isn't an exact science.

That being said, a MN or WI player from a big school is more likely to get offered a scholarship than a small-school ND player who may be equally as talented. With all things being equal, the coaching staff will put money on the bigger school out-of-state player and encourage the ND player to walk on, since the ND player probably has dreamed his whole life about playing for the Bison and will be more receptive to going there without money. It's not fair, but that is the way it has always been and will probably continue.

Craig

NDSU_grad
07-25-2003, 08:48 PM
I vaguely remember seeing on the d2football board something to the effect that any player who signs a letter of intent receives some sort of financial compensation. Can anyone verify that?

NDSBISON04
07-25-2003, 08:52 PM
BisonInTexas,

Good post. In fact I think that is exactly the way it is. If u want to play at a higher level and you believe u can u can play football for the Bison, then those kids who want to do that go there.
I think in a lot of cases they look for the in-state guys to walk-on and they earn their scholarships once they play. I don't know how it works in basketball, but I would guess it is the same way. Bison in Texas, you have said the same thing that other people have told me. It's funny that coaches look for in-state guys to walk-on and prove themselves before they get scholarships. I wonder what the cut off is. Say u were the player of the year in the state in Class AAA football, would u most likely get a scholarship?

BisonInTexas
07-25-2003, 09:47 PM
I vaguely remember seeing on the d2football board something to the effect that any player who signs a letter of intent receives some sort of financial compensation. Can anyone verify that?

I think that is true - if you are offered a scholarship, you have to sign a letter of intent. But don't think that everyone listed in a recruiting class was offered a scholarship to play. Some are recruits who have verbally agreed to attend but won't get scholarships until they earn them on the field, and most, if not all, of these recruits are from smaller schools.

Craig