PDA

View Full Version : Info on Frank Irby...

Tampa_Legend
08-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Irby is a Division I player no doubt! *At GCCC he played behind Cory Reddick and Cedric Williams who are both at Kansas State. *You may ask, how does a JUCO end up with three Division I CB's? *Frank signed with GCCC in the Spring of *01. *While Frank was finishing his senior year in High School, Reddick and Williams were redshirt Freshmen at GCCC. *In terms of playing experience and physical abilities, there is not much that separates the three CB's. *In reality, Reddick and Williams had paid their dues to GCCC Football and were given the starting nod. *The Coaches at GCCC did a great job of keeping all three involved and in the rotation. *There wasn't a JC in the entire country that had a more talented group of CB's! *Had Frank been able to sign at mid-year, the offers would have been plentiful... *

About Frank, he is 5-10, 180 with a 40 time of sub 4.4!! *I believe that people will see that Frank has a set of super feet that match his speed! *Between, Reddick, Williams and Frank, I will say he is the most physical! *He loves to cover the pass and does it well, but he is certianly not bashful when it comes to supporting the run! *If he stays healthy and is given a fair opportunity, he will be an impact player for NDSU! *I like to compare him to Troy Brown who starred at Marshall in the early 90's on offense, defense and special teams. *He has the ability to run, catch and return footballs, how the Coaches decide to use him is their preference. *I think at this point, with all that he has been through with the recruiting process, he will be happy to play wherever they need him... *

Frank played High School Football at Tampa Bay Tech in Florida. *He was a three year starter at CB and a All Confernce Running Back as a junior (99) and a senior (00). *I know All Confernce doesn't sound like much to many, but the Western Confernce in Tampa consists of 25 public schools. *As well, he was part of one of the greatest high school "turn arounds" in the history of FL High School Football. *For nearly 30 years Tampa Bay Tech was regarded as the "armpit" of High School Football in Florida. *At one time they held a State Record of 39 consecutive losses! *

You may think this is funny, but the turn around was inspired by the movie "Remember the Titans". *That team watched that movie on countless occasions. *Even more ironic, while Frank was at GCCC, the real Coach Boone was on vacation with his family and stopped in to visit with the coaches and team. *In Frank's senior season, the Tampa Bay Tech (Titans) captured the District Championship and qualified for the State Playoffs for the first time in the 31 year history of the school. *What made the turn around so great? *The team was chosen as the Western Conference Academic Team of the Year with a scorching 3.41 Team GPA! *In 2001, the team went back to the State Playoffs and reapeated as the Western Conference Academic Team of the Year! * *

Without players like Frank Irby laying the foundation for greatness, none of this would have been possible. Those days are long gone at Tech and it will be years before another group like his comes through and they enjoy that type of success again....

Best wishes to Frank and NDSU on a successful season...

Bisonguy
08-18-2003, 01:46 AM
Tampa_Legend

Thanks for the great info and background on Frank Irby! I wish him the best of luck with NDSU this year (and all the other JUCO's)!