PDA

View Full Version : BisonFest

Bisonguy
08-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Looks like Tailgating is going to a whole new level!!!

From the GoBison site:

Bison Fest 2003: The Ultimate Tailgating Experience

2003-08-25

FARGO, ND--North Dakota State University Athletics has announced that before each Bison football game at the Fargodome, it will host Bison Fest 2003.

Bison Fest 2003 is a tailgating event that will feature Famous Dave’s award winning Bar-B-Q, entertainment from the Music Man and Games-To-Go, as well as a live performance from the band “Bent” from the roof of the Fargodome before the first game against Tusculum on August 30. Each game will also feature The Fox 107.9 and WDAY AM 970 broadcasting live from the Bison Fest lot.

Bison Fest will take place approximately 3 hours prior to all home football games in the southwest Fargodome parking lot. Whether using a pickup truck or a tent, admission to the event is free ($3 parking at the Dome). Fargodome parking lots will be open at 2 p.m. for 7 p.m. games and at 9 a.m. for 1 p.m. games.

There is a corporate ticket package that features 100 tickets, a tent, and catering for only $1000. In addition are great rates available on group ticket packages. For more information, call 231-NDSU.

JBB
08-26-2003, 12:52 AM
did they say anything about RVs?

Bisonguy
08-26-2003, 01:08 AM
From the paper version of the 2003 NDSU Tickets and Tailgating that I picked up at Scheel's-

Tailgating

Whether it is from the back of your car or truck, or underneath a tent....... come out and add to the atmosphere and excitement. There is no cost to rent a spot just show up and enjoy. (Fargodome parking $3)

Tailgating hours

Lots open
2:00pm for 7:00 pm games
9:00 am for 1:00pm games

Lots close
two hours after game or 11:00 pm, whichever provides the greatest amount of time.

Doesn't say anything about no RV's ;D ;D ;D

Bisonguy
08-29-2003, 04:46 PM
I called the Fargodome office, and RV's are allowed. You just have to pay for each of the spots you take up at $3 a parking space.

Also of interest in today's The Forum ;D ;D ;D:

gate drinking won’t be enforced
By Mary Jo Almquist
malmquist@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 08/29/2003

The bad news for tailgaters hoping to have a few beers before the Bison football home-opener Saturday night: Alcohol is not permitted in the Fargodome parking lot.

The good news for these die-hard fans: The long-standing rule is not likely to be enforced.

“Tailgating will proceed,” said Gene Taylor, North Dakota State University Athletic Director. “I’ll put it this way: Alcohol is technically not allowed.”

Fargo city ordinance prohibits the mixing, preparing, serving or consumption of alcohol in a public place without a license.

But last month, the city’s Liquor Control Committee considered changing that, possibly by issuing alcohol permits for tailgating groups. This would be similar to what the Fargo Park District does at designated ball parks.

Before moving forward, though, the city wanted to discuss the issue with NDSU and Fargodome officials, since alcohol isn’t allowed elsewhere on campus and the Fargodome is on university land. Alcohol also is not allowed inside the dome during NDSU games.

A group -- representing the city, NDSU, the Fargodome and the F-M RedHawks baseball team -- met recently and ultimately decided to keep things the same.

Alcohol is not permitted.

“We didn’t want to open this up and say alcohol is allowed,” said George Wallman, NDSU Vice President for Student Affairs.

“It’s a difficult situation, but we haven’t had any real problems (with tailgating),” Wallman said. “We don’t want to change it.”

Even though all involved acknowledge drinking occurs in the parking lot before games, police have no plans to step up enforcement.

Fargo Police Chief Chris Magnus said he doesn’t have enough officers to change current practices.

“I’m not so naive to believe that there’s no alcohol at tailgating events,” Magnus said. “We don’t condone it, but we also don’t have the resources to go out and look for it.”

Magnus said officers are strained as it is on game days. The city has eight or nine patrol officers on duty during each shift. “We tend to deal with situations on an as-needed basis,” he said.

Rob Sobolik, Fargodome assistant executive director, said the Fargodome also will have its own security guards, parking attendants and a Cass County sheriff’s deputy monitoring the parking lot before the game.

If a situation comes up in which a fan is getting too rowdy, dome staff will notify police, Sobolik said.

Of course, not all fans equate tailgating with alcohol use. There are many other pre-game activities, Taylor said.

NDSU is making a bigger push for pre-game celebrations this year. Activities will include live music in the parking lot and games for children and families, he said.

“We want to make it the place to be on Saturdays,” he said. “It should be a positive experience for everyone.”

The Fargodome parking lot will open for tailgating at 2 p.m. for evening games and 9 a.m. for afternoon games. It will close two hours after the game, or 11 p.m. -- whichever comes first.

The NDSU Bison play their first home game at 7 p.m. Saturday against Tusculum College, Greeneville, Tenn.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mary Jo Almquist at (701) 241-5531

JBB
08-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info on the RVs. I wont be able to get mine up there this time but Its great to know. I was suprised by the article you posted but what the heck. It was rowdy back there before the Bison/grand forks game last year and I know at least some people were having a few warm ups. Im heading to Detroit Lakes at 11 and will be in the Fabulous Fargo Dome for the game.

Bisonguy
08-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Hopefully the lack of enforcement, and advertising it, will help the atmosphere of the Fargodome ;D