PDA

View Full Version : Bison Football Fan Support

SDbison
08-31-2003, 06:49 PM
I just posted this reply on the Bison Insider site and want to hear what any of you think...........

I regretfully have to agree with your observation that the Fargodome crowd is lame. What is so difficult about clapping your hands and maybe getting up off your seat. Yes there are some older folks there, but if they can make it to their seats twenty rows up then they should have enough energy to show some support. There was an older gentleman next to me accross the aisle who never said one word, or clapped once the entire game. Why the hell go to the game! Is it that depressing to watch? I realize that some fans may be too shy to yell out encouragement to the team, but at least get up off your chair (more than when prompted by the announcer at kickoffs) and make some noise! It was embarrassing that the only time the fans all got up and made some noise was when the annoncer said there was free cheesy bread for the section that made the most noise (how cheesy)!. That was the loudest it got all game! Of course the most deserving section, the students, won the bread. I can't imagine how antiseptic the dome atmosphere would be without the students.

What happened to the fans is in Fargo? I am 44 years old and grew up in Fargo-Moorhead. There used to be all sorts of noise coming from the north stands at Dakotah Field. The students sat on the south side and you could really hear the overall fan support. I attended more than 30 games at Dakotah Field while living there and as a student, and have been to more than 20 games at the Fargodome. Without a doubt Dakotah Field had better atmosphere, more noise, and showcased the best Bison teams. Yes, the dome has all the visible gadgets to impress the fans and opposing teams, but the key ingredient, fan support, was lost. Seeing a full dome crowd is great, but 12,000 at Dakotah Field outdoors was many times louder and way more involved than any 15,000 plus crowd at the dome. I wish the Forum sports writers would make some commentary regarding the current lack of fan support.

I was also really disappointed with the attendance at the opening game, 10,500? Stauss is the best quarterback NDSU has ever seen. Not to mention the speed and sure handed receivers we now have. Where were many of the Team Makers on Saturday? Off to enjoy their Labor Day weekend at the lake cottage I presume? I used to think things had to be done to get attendance up for the games, but now think the key is to get fans who have a pulse, not just fill the seats. Has the past success of Bison football bred apathy? Are the games just a social event for many of the Fargo area elite? There were some awesome plays and great defense against Tusculum yet very little fan involvement or reaction. My wife and I drove 250 miles from Sioux Falls, tailgated for several hours, clapped and cheered for the Bison, and drove home late, hoarse and tired , but happy about the game outcome. So what did the average fan do to cheer on the team? Show up, watch, and get a hot dog or nachos to eat? Sorry, but if these are true fans than I am extremely saddened by how things have regressed. The University and the Bison football players deserve better. Where is the Bison pride and exuberance of old? Can we get it back?

NOTE: I have been to several Nebraska games and have seen how young and old come together to CHEER, CLAP and YELL for their team. Bison fans used to be that way.

Ronbo
08-31-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey SD,

You got to come to Washington/Griz this weekend. We will have 23,117 rabid, foaming at the mouth, screaming, Griz Fanatics. And they are on their feet more than in their seats. It's an experience that we get many comments on from opposing coaches and fans.

A fan from Sam Houston State said it's louder than a game at University of Texas.

A coach from another Big Sky School said that during his coaching career he rated two stadiums the loudest he'd ever played in, University of Washington's Huskey Stadium and Washington Griz. Huskey Stadium seats 78,000.

A fan from Sac. State said on his last trip to Washington Griz that he couldn't hear what the person next to him was saying and they were screaming at him.

Come on out and have some real old fashioned fun at a Field that has "Big Time College Football Atmosphere."

ndsubison
09-01-2003, 12:47 AM
I had general admission tickets in the North endzone and sat half-way up and in the center. It quickly occurred to me that I could make more noise by moving down several rows onto the aluminum stands, as opposed to the concrete ones. Two buddies joined me but they were too busy evaluating every single play instead of making a lot of racket. I stomped until my legs were tired, rested, and stomped some more. I also lost my voice. Some of the "elite Fargoans" were sitting below me and I got some strange looks from them so I yelled louder and tried to beckon them to their feet, to no avail. I was disappointed in the attendance but the student section was pretty good for making some noise. I discussed this with my friends and we all agreed that when the Bison get our winning tradition back on track more people will come and those people will in turn make more noise, at least theoretically. I was happy to hear music being played but it needs to be louder and more hard-rock oriented, not oldies music that was no doubt promoted by yet another "elite Fargoan" who can put his money where he doesn't dare put his mouth. Also, the fireworks after TD's were nice to have back but we need to fire up that cannon again. I also liked the footage of Bohl leading his troops out from the tunnel with the lights dimmed. How damn hard is it for these old fogies to inject some excitement into these games. It's time for a grass-roots movement of younger supporters to show these grey hairs how it's done. It's not that damn hard people!

BisonWarrior
09-01-2003, 02:10 AM
I think the band needs new songs!! i like the band and they seemed louder this year but there is nothing new. How about something like from the movie Drumline!! I think when they play canned music it should be specifically picked to reflect what is going on. A little new and a little old mixed. Towards the end of the game I could just hear the Milwaukee Bucks song...."Not in My House"

I agree about the cannon...the fire works were ok but not enough. Need the Big Bang!!

Showing the walk was fantastic!!

KTF
09-01-2003, 02:29 AM
I agree with you all, we need to promote cheering. An idea occured to me, those of you that are teammakers, bring it up at the meetings. I would make an attempt at it but I am not a member yet. (Only because of student status but will be next year when I don't get in free :). ) What's the worst thing they could say....? I remember in 2000 when I was able to attend every home game, it seemed like we cheered more but maybe I got a worped perception since I was in the band.

To comment on Bison Warriors reply, being in the band, it has exposed me to the fact that music is expensive. 1 song can run about $50, not that these songs couldn't be bought but they are on a very tight budget!! I remember numerous times in the 2000 football season when Dr. Olfert had to go to bat to get money from the student council just to take the band to Omaha Nebraska to play for the game there.

If someone decides to challenge the Teammakers about the cheering and support maybe they should also mention something about wearing Yellow colored shirts? sure would cool to see a sea of yellow in the stands, that alone can be intimidating enough!!

Bisonguy
09-01-2003, 04:28 AM
Okay, I joined Team Makers this year, but I am going to have a hard time making it to the luncheons and after hours get togethers because I will be out of town on Thursdays. I know Bison_49 and others make it to the meetings, so let's get a list of suggestions that they could possibly bring up.

1) The video stuff and intro is much improved. I like the fireworks, as well. How about getting the announcer to say more stuff like " Third down, let's make some NOISE!". I don't think everyone always sees it when it just comes up on the video boards.

2)Make the cheerleaders lead easier cheers when it could help out. How about a "De-Fense" cheer on third downs? I just can't get into "Green. Green and Gold. Green and Gold hold that line. Fight, Bison, Fight!" Most of the older fans can't hear all that, and I know I can't usually remember all that. I didn't even see the cheerleaders near my section- northwest sidelines

3)Get everyone to wear school colors, especially yellow. Just don't use last year's ad campaign. (KTF's suggestion).

I think the holiday weekend and last season's record kept a lot of people away. There also was a lot of stuff going on in the FM area. Once the conference games start, I think the attendance will go up.

bisononce
09-01-2003, 04:53 PM
I did my part. Just recovering the voice...We need a section for serious fans with lungs. An area where most everybody is on their feet hollering, where you don't have little kids and bored women sliding past you repeatedly during plays and where people aren't getting in the way by leaving BEFORE THE END OF THE GAME!! Give us a discounted ticket for the atmosphere, cheer-leading effect. Heck, introduce our section and then put us on the big screen!

Coach Babich had some thoughts about the first game or two of the season at Dakotah Field. Of course there would be upgrade involved, but not a bad idea??

JBB
09-01-2003, 08:27 PM
No no no Dacotah field. Its over. I enjoy every game I go to. I dont feel its necessary to force anyone to act the way I want them to. I enjoy the game and get involved. A lot of people in our section do. I thought the atmosphere was good. There were some lulls, but there always were, even at Dacotah field. Especially after the place emptied out midway through the 3rd, or a lot of times at the half. and dont forget the many, many, many games with 5 or 6,000 or less. I attended over 100 games there. The first one I remember was 1957. I was 5. I remember it because I found a dollar under the stands when my dad took me down for coffee and hot chocolate.

I like the idea of a "stampeders" section. Have special tickets, tee shirts, cross promotions with local pubs etc. Even let them drink beer, they do outside. Put it off in one of the corners and as it gains in popularity move it to the middle.

But, its not my place to insist that fans act the way I want them too, and Im not concerned about what people think of me. Im in the game and so are many of the people around us. I like it. Its different than Dacotah field for sure. But so am I. Im not 18 anymore, but Im still in the game in a big way and Im still very horse.

Bisonguy
09-01-2003, 08:40 PM
There are the "thunderzone" seats, but I don't think they do a good job of promoting them. They need to tell everyone, "This is where the crazies sit. Yell and scream all you want." Speaking of the tunderzone, the guys with the hand-crank cowbells haven't shown up yet. I think they usually start showing up at the start of conference games.

As far as attendance, there was close to 5,000 out for the Redhawks and over 3,000 betting on the ponies on saturday. The UC-Davis game will have horse races, but the Redhawks may or may not be playing in Fargo(depends on whether they win the Western division of the Northern League this week)

AJ
09-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Last I heard hand-crank cowbell guy was told by the fargodome authority to keep his cowbell at home because it was a distraction to some of the fans. Not exactly what i would call a hostile environment for an opposing team It would just be terrible if the other team couldn't hear their calls. That would create some kind of homefield advantage or something. We'd hate to have that. I also think that is you wear a tie to the game you shouldn't be allowed in. Also, why do we feel it is necessary to put the student into a corner. Why not move them a couple of more sections down so they can be right behind the bench. Although it is a sad impression of an indoor stadium, the house the Diet Coke cans built up north puts their student right behind the opposing teams bench. Just a thought.
Go Bison

BisonFan
09-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Last I heard hand-crank cowbell guy was told by the fargodome authority to keep his cowbell at home because it was a distraction to some of the fans. Not exactly what i would call a hostile environment for an opposing team It would just be terrible if the other team couldn't hear their calls. That would create some kind of homefield advantage or something. We'd hate to have that. I also think that is you wear a tie to the game you shouldn't be allowed in. Also, why do we feel it is necessary to put the student into a corner. Why not move them a couple of more sections down so they can be right behind the bench. Although it is a sad impression of an indoor stadium, the house the Diet Coke cans built up north puts their student right behind the opposing teams bench. Just a thought.
Go Bison

What game was it last year when the Ref blew the whistle as the opposing team was coming up to the line to reprimand the crowd? He ended up walking toward the student section and said something on his PA microphone along the lines of "we'll have no more of that" to someone in the student section that had a cowbell. The rest of that game was a snooze because that ruined it. Its like we aren't aloud to make noise. We yelled and screamed as loud as we could after that, but it wasn't the same without the clang of the cowbell.

iamabison
09-02-2003, 01:07 AM
I sat in the front row of the south endzone of the 2001 season, and I got thrown out for banging my flag poll on the ground.

NDSU has no one to blame but itself for the stale atmosphere. Every year since the dome opened, it's gotten worse and worse. Remember the cannon from 94, 95-ish? GONE, people said it was too loud. Every year cowbell guys and flag pole pounders were told to sit down and shut up, or get tossed. Well, finally the people who did make noise are gone (or at least silent), exactly how NDSU wanted it.

tony
09-02-2003, 03:25 AM
To be fair, it's the FargoDome people running the show in the 'Dome, not NDSU, and they really seem to be trying this year to improve things.

I've been nearly tossed out of the Dome before. I'm going to try out thundersticks this year. Are they still selling them?

The greatest part of Dacotah field was the huge rumble in the student section when the team came on the field or the stand-kicking countdown to each kickoff.

Bisonguy
09-02-2003, 03:31 AM
tony,

I didn't see the thundersticks this year. They had them the previous two years, but the majority of them were left under the seats after the games.

I think this year will just be the "code green" towels and people screaming.

Bisonfan1
09-02-2003, 01:10 PM
I could not beleive it when a gentleman grabbed my friend by the shirt to sit down on a 3rd down play when we were attempting to get some noise going in our section for the defense. I think if there is a repeat of that again i will be inviting whoever i can get from the student section over to help with a little motivation in any open seats. Man it just isnt cool to grab somebody by their clothing and try to yank em down into a seat.It could be a very long year for whoever is sitting behind us, because, hey, we will be standing and cheering more than ever now because you have definetely motivated us.

Grizomatic
09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey SD,

You got to come to Washington/Griz this weekend. We will have 23,117 rabid, foaming at the mouth, screaming, Griz Fanatics.

Ronbo,

I'll "wager" that there will be 23,450 there, with an addional 300 sold for "Standing Room Only". It is ever so good to be Griz!

JBB
09-02-2003, 02:23 PM
That guys out of line. But, maybe he cant stand up for some reason. You should switch tickets and let him sit in front.

I dont know if any of you ever had season tickets to the old Dacotah field, but I did for a couple of seasons. The north stands were for alumni and season tickets. There were season tickets in the folding chairs on the south side too. But the point is the north side stands were pretty dead. I stopped buying seasons tickets and went back to my general admission seats on the south side because it was rowdy over there. In fact we hardly ever sat in our reserved seats. They were just a way into the game and a sure seat for real big games. All we have to do is keep on winning.

Hammerhead
09-02-2003, 03:13 PM
I attended almost every home game from the middle 80s - 1991 and later purchased season tickets in 94 and 95 when I returned to Fargo for a few years.

I was always dissapointed at the crowds in the Fargodome. Most people acted like they were at the movies or in church instead of attending a football game. The crackdown on those smuggling alcohol that started during the final years of Dakotah field might play a part in the less festive atmosphere. ;)

I did attend one game in Montana when I was training out there in 95 (unfortunately it was the same week as the Bison-Sue game). Their stadium packs fans in close to the field like you would find in most domed stadiums and it is a great place to watch football.

WYOBISONMAN
09-02-2003, 04:58 PM
No doubt that the Dome has not been as electric of a venue as Dacotah Field was. I am not sure why that is, but it may be due to where they have the students seated. Also, I think outdoor football in ND leads to more "hell raising"....you have to raise hell to keep from freezing.....

Ronbo
09-02-2003, 05:12 PM
It sounds like the Managers at the Fargodome may be the problem. They have over the years discouraged noise making and people standing. After a time this leads to people mutedly sitting on their hands.

I used to live in Duluth and the UMD Hockey games at the Arena were as loud as you could imagine. And I understand UND Hockey games are wild affairs. So being indoors isn't the problem is it?

It seems to be the Fargodome Management.

rockyhagerforever
09-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Has anyone thought to suggest the problem might be the crap teams that the Herd have put together over the last few years? The move into the Dome was folly. Bob Entzion was a one man wrecking crew when it came to hurting the program. Bob "Umbeeleeeevable" Babich was a complete and total disaster. Gene Taylor appears to be a hack. Fans aren't obligated to get up and scream and hoot and hollar while watching a lousy team get its brains beaten in. The bottom line is Bison football isn't as much fun in the Dome. The progam has been turned into an overly corporate marketing device. And last, but not least, the Bison are an also ran program. The glory days are long over. For the record, this comes from a long time season ticket holder.

ndsubison
09-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Has anyone thought to suggest the problem might be the crap teams that the Herd have put together over the last few years? The move into the Dome was folly. Bob Entzion was a one man wrecking crew when it came to hurting the program. Bob "Umbeeleeeevable" Babich was a complete and total disaster. Gene Taylor appears to be a hack. Fans aren't obligated to get up and scream and hoot and hollar while watching a lousy team get its brains beaten in. The bottom line is Bison football isn't as much fun in the Dome. The progam has been turned into an overly corporate marketing device. And last, but not least, the Bison are an also ran program. The glory days are long over. For the record, this comes from a long time season ticket holder.

Entzion is a sick b@stard and I never liked Babich--good riddance to both of them. What kind of fan basically bails on his so-called "team" just because we've had a couple of down years as the result of an idiot coach? The days of winning a NC every other year may be a distant memory but who says we can't get that back? Where's your enthusiasm and brass to get behind your team? This is a very exciting time for BISON football and we need our fans to rally because nothing good comes from pissing & moaning about "lost glory" or whatever the gripe of the week is, whether you're a season ticket holder or not. C'mon guy, jump back on board! Otherwise, just change your sign in name to bandwagonforever.

JBB
09-04-2003, 12:06 AM
If you work your way through the cynicism theres truth in what Rockeyforever says. * But, the fact of the matter is this: *The average margin of victory in the FFD is about 30 pts. Thats not exactly getting your ass kicked but it isnt exciting for the fans after the first qtr either.

In 2000 the BISON were the third best team in the country. *They got screwed when the NCAA sent them to Delta State. *If that game would have come to Fargo where it belonged that would have helped the FFD and BISON Lore. *It didnt work out that way. *But, its not the history of an also ran either.

In the meantime there have been some average/poor teams and a lot of needed changes. *Dr. Taylor was a great addition.

I hear your frustration, Ive witnessed this first hand myself. *all the way through the years, just like you. *Here are my reasons:

1) *the Fargo Dome has never had a glory game except a victory over und and PSU. *That doesnt give the venue much mystic. *Dacotah field on the other hand was steeped in BISON Lore.

2) *Games in the Fabulous Fargo Dome have rarely been dramatic. *When they have the crowd was right there. *I remember the game against UNC when the BISON finally won on the 80 yd pass to Arnt. *That place was rocking. *I remember when UNO played NDSU to the wire and won their first game in Fargo, The joint was on fire. *Most games start out great but get boring after the BISON put it away. *Dacotah field emptied on those many occasions.

3) *DII competition is not exciting to the casual fans in Fargo. *

Put a winner on the field, bring in worthy competitors, win some big games in Fargo and the place will start to fill and rock. * In the meantime everyone should have fun and raise as much hell as they want. *thats what I do. *It works for me.

Bison49
09-04-2003, 02:25 AM

First, STOP living in the past. There is a big, bright future ahead for Bison football and NDSU. I know Entizon and Rocky didn't get along but that doesn't mean Bob was a wrecking ball. Look at how our other Athletic programs have excelled. I am a HUGE supporter of Bison Football, but I admit, I have loved watching all of our other sports win when our football team hasn't. Yes, you are right though....our football team has lacked. We should have been 4 time NCC champions in the past 6 years, but we suck it up and move on.

Babich wasn't a total disaster. Yes, I am glad to have a real D-I coach in place. Bob was a great PR guy and recruited several great players. At least, Bob had the balls to discipline his players even his own son. That speaks tons for the character of a coach and leader of a team. I will admit a 2-8 season wasn't fun to watch, but I went to every game last year (even UC-Davis) and you take the good with the bad times. A lot more bad recently.

Gene=a hack! I DON'T think so! Have you seen what he has done for Athletics? He actually sees the big picture and how Athletics fits into the grand sceme of things. I am excited to see what Gene will continue to do.

Bohl is exactly what we need for our team right now. He has a highly capable D-I coaching staff put together. I cannot wait to see what he has in store. The option is gone!

KTF
09-04-2003, 02:26 AM
RockyHagerForever,

Your passion for Bison Football is to be commended but why the change of heart? I personally wish that The Herd could win national championships every other year but that seems a little bit out of the question right now. I envy that you were able to witness what a "magical" feat NDSU football was able to do. Being a student right now I can only imagine what the excitement of wondering if the The Herd was playoff bound, who they would play, going over the match-ups with the opposing teams, seeing who the top recruits were, what winning National Championship are like, etc...

Right now this young team needs everyone of us to rally behind them. Yah we are not winning national championships everyother year but we are winning battles everyday. Today I read that Rob Hunt is learning how to snap left-handed, that is a battle we are winning because we need him!! The game againist Tusculum, The Herd had only 4 penalties, that is a battle won over last years team.

So RockyHagerForever I hope that I can say 15 years from now that I have supported this program when it was 2-8 all the way to when we are winning national championships every other year in D-1AA. Just like you have been able to do with the "glory days" of the '80's.

With uptmost respect,

KTF

rockyhagerforever
09-04-2003, 02:55 AM
Don't misinterpret what I said. I'm still a fan. I've rarely missed a home game since about 1984, when I was six years old. I still drive two hours every Saturday to watch the Bison. I'm not living in the past. I realize things have changed and the Bison aren't as good or as much fun as they once were. That's just life. The Dome has something to do with that. In the Dacotah days cannons, loud music, inflatable helmets and motorcycles weren't needed, great football was enough. I DO NOT APPRECIATE how Bison football has become a slick marketing gimmick. I want, very much, to see the Bison return to glory. However, I'm not just going to put on rose tinted glasses and cheer and scream. I pay my money. I've been as loyal as anyone for years. I lost respect for the team last year and they have to earn it back, I'm not just going to give it to them. That being said, I still have my season tickets. I'm not going to stop going. Simply put, I'm ready and willing to be won over again. As for Gene Taylor, I think he made a HUGE mistake in picking Bohl over Gus. That's just my opinion. I think you have to hire the guy who bleeds green and gold, and that's Gus.

BisonWarrior
09-04-2003, 03:07 AM
I am a Big Gus supporter and I was fanatic about him being picked but I have to say in retrospect I think they made the right choice AND I bet if you ask Gus he would say the same thing!!!

The program needed a bigger change and I do not think that would have come with Casey. He would not have stayed if he didn't think he would gain some knowledge from coaching with someone like Bohl.

rockyhagerforever
09-04-2003, 03:08 AM
I should have also said I appreciate the Dome in November when it's 10 degrees outside. I agree completely the biggest key is putting a good team on the field and then bringing in interesting non-conference match-ups. Furthermore, I'm very concerned the program is going to start losing fans. What I mean is, I started following the Bison as a very little boy. My dad was in grad school and Bison football was good, cheap entertainment. Living in family housing at NDSU I even got to know Aaron Oden, Mike Faver, Snuffy Byers, Tyrone Braxton and others. But, if the program was like, say, Mankato State, I never would have become such a huge fan. I fear young kids in Fargo aren't going to pay attention because of an inferior product. To me, the biggest incentive to turning the program back around ASAP is grooming the next generation of fans.

rockyhagerforever
09-04-2003, 03:11 AM
My concern is Gus will me marginalized by Bohl and his staff. Does Gus have any input? What's his role? Did Bohl keep him around because Taylor told him he had to? My guess is yes, that's exactly what happened because as soon as Bohl takes off for another gig, Gus gets the job. At least I would think Gus is next in line. I think we can all agree Bohl is probably here three or four years, tops. I just hope Gus still has a major role with the program. I hope Bohl treats him with complete and total respect. Gus has earned it.

mojobison
09-04-2003, 03:23 AM
"Bohl sucks. Bison suck. Taylor sucks. I'm not getting my money's worthy. Everything about the Bison sucks. There isn't anything I like. I don't respect the team and I'm not going to cheer either," says RockyHagerForever, "But don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Bison fan."

You spout off like you've been doing in front of Rocky Hager or NDSU's Assistant Head Coach, Casey Bradley, and see how they react.

rockyhagerforever
09-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Wow, the way mojobison lies and twist what I said I'd almost think he was a Republican politician. I suggest you go back and read what I wrote rather than banging away on the keyboard like an ignorant jackass.

BisonFan
09-04-2003, 04:45 AM
"Bohl sucks. Bison suck. Taylor sucks. I'm not getting my money's worthy. Everything about the Bison sucks. There isn't anything I like. I don't respect the team and I'm not going to cheer either," says RockyHagerForever, "But don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Bison fan."

You spout off like you've been doing in front of Rocky Hager or NDSU's Assistant Head Coach, Casey Bradley, and see how they react.

Mojobison doesn't sound much like a BISON fan at all. If you are going to be so fair weather don't bother being a fan at all!

SDbison
09-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Wow, I started this thread intending to vent some of my frustration and get some feedback on how we could all come together as Bison fans from different backgrounds to better support the team. Looks like there are a lot of opinions, frustrations, and ideas out there. I think everyone would agree that the Bison had a great run from the mid-sixties up until last year. Yeah, there were some so so years in there but the legacy of Bison football is quite strong in all of us. My concern is that some people have become so disappointed by the recent years failures that they will quit rooting for the team, go to fewer games and eventually drop out. I know someone who was so frustrated with the team and the move to D1 that they gave up their seats and quit team makers. Just the opposite, I became a team maker and bought season tickets for the first time this year. I have been to many home and away games over the years and have had to take a lot of crap from UND fans since starting a satellite site in Sioux Falls back in 1994. I, like many of you have bled green and yellow, but I know the University is trying to change things. Even Babich helped out by getting a few good recruits, and the new coaching staff overall is second to none in all of D1-AA football. Got to give the new guys a chance, be great fans and support their efforts. All I want to see is as many fans come out to the games as possible, and for most of those fans to recognize the players hard work by cheering, clapping or yelling (whichever they prefer) to show them we care and want the glory years back. As far as those who sit there in the stands and do nothing, waiting to be entertained prior to the next playoff games, well they could just as well be UND fans or better yet stay home. I am anxious to see how this fairly young team does cause I think they are going to do well this year. Stauss is probably the best passing quarterback NDSU has ever had (he also appears to have the leadership skills of winners like Simdorn and Bentrim). And even though the team is not stacked with talent I believe they are motivated and more anxious than we are to prove last year was a fluke. Three things that we can do as fans to help the Bison is talk positive about this team to those sitting on the fence, attend as many games as possible and show our Bison pride (that means make noise even if the deadbeats want to sit on their butts). The rest is up to the Bison players and coaches. Go Bison!
P.S. Anyone know how to contact McFeely and request his writing style could maybe even help knock some sense into Bison fans for the next home game. Also wondering how to contact the PA announcer for the Bison games and get him to maybe prompt the crowd to make some noise (without the cheesy bread offering).
I am serious!

Bisonguy
09-04-2003, 05:04 AM
rockyhagerforever,

I believe that Bohl was signed to a five year contract, so I doubt that he will be out of here in three or four years. Also Bradley is the Assistant Head Coach, not just an Assistant Coach, so I believe his position is a lot more than just a figure head created by Gene Taylor. He was one of the three finalists, after all.

mojobison
09-04-2003, 05:14 AM
BisonFan, I don't think you got my point. You can't say all those things that RockyHagerForever said and still claim to be a fan unless fan = bandwagon-riding whiner.

SDbison
09-04-2003, 05:26 AM
My question for rockyhagerforever is even though he seems to be unhappy about several things going on with Bison football does he still openly root for the Bison and make some noise at the games? Maybe the tough times have put him close to the edge and we can still bring him back to see the vision of future success. I really don't think he is ready to become a UND fan yet.

BisonFan
09-04-2003, 05:31 AM
BisonFan, I don't think you got my point. You can't say all those things that RockyHagerForever said and still claim to be a fan unless fan = bandwagon-riding whiner.

When did I say that? I live and breathe Bison Football. I have been doing that since I started at NDSU in the Fall of 1998.

BisonFan
09-04-2003, 05:40 AM
p.s. I haven't left a game early in that timespan either. I've stuck there until the final horn and supported the BISON. I'm not one of those sorry fans leaving at half-time or before the final horn blows.

tony
09-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Now guys, don't make me break this up :)

Oh yeah. For the love of Salma Hayek, no politics. Nothing worth saying about politics has ever been said on a sports forum.

BisonFan
09-04-2003, 05:49 AM
I just don't take kindly to be compared to someone stuck in rockyhagerfever

Tuk
09-04-2003, 06:48 AM
Mojobison doesn't sound much like a BISON fan at all. *If you are going to be so fair weather don't bother being a fan at all!

My interpretation of Mojobison's comments was more of a sarcastic comment towards RockyHagarForever's position on the current state of the NDSU athletic program.....not of his personal stance on the NDSU Athletic Dept.-----

I must also make this comment: I am currently a student at NDSU, and came from a small North Dakota town (Williston) that never won anything except the periodic miracle team that would go into the post-season.....nevertheless, I still went to the games, watched my team lose....and I never really had any passion for the team.... Then I came to NDSU, and I became a Bison fan. Why? There was an energy in the city, campus, and in the stadium. The first year I was a Bison we went to Delta State, and since then I have noticed how fair-weathered the fans have become. Many don't care about the game or team, but you know if we started winning they would come back. I think a lot of the fans are similar to the pop culture we are in now....if you are popular, then you have a base of cheering fans that think they are the most dedicated fans of the team. When you are questionable or not going to be winning, then....well....the fans go away. They would rather spend time doing yard work, go to the lake, or relax while listening to the game via radio. What I am pitifully trying to explain is this =>=>THE BISON ARE NOT THE IN THING RIGHT NOW IN FARGO'S SCENE....

Why do people go to the Redhawks? Watch a great game by a great baseball team? Perhaps YES for some, but for a majority of people its "the place" to hang out, talk with friends, and have some beers. It's like the club for the people who don't go to the club....I know many people who go to the game to converse and have really overpriced beer instead of watching the game. Am I wrong? ??? Please tell me if this perspective is not accurate, but I would have to say the Bison fanbase has become another example of American pop culture plaguing the sporting world....

When the Bison start winning, the wannabe's, fair-weather fans, and game "clubbers" will be back. They will realize the Bison are cool and hip, and think that the Bison are the best thing since Ricky Martin or Brittany Spears.....which will make me want to slap them and do other things that I don't think Tony would appreciate me saying on his board...... :o

JBB
09-04-2003, 01:27 PM
I like that TUK. But I dont care about the fair weather band wagoners. Theres at least 10,000 loyalists and I for 1 will welcome back every fair weather bandwanger that wants to plunk down the money to see the game.

Bisonfan1
09-04-2003, 03:21 PM
This has been an entertaining topic, but what is the bottom line here? Fill the Dome, get the crowd into the game, give the young men on the field the Home Field Advantage. I for one have never cared much for the dome because of the atmosphere, however, there is no reason with a Dome Stadium that it should not be deafening. Noise and standing up and cheering is now finally being encouraged. I felt pretty lonely when my group in my section were the only ones doing it. I would love to be able to say someday that the dome DOES give us a major Home Field Advantage and I am sure my take on this Dome thing will change. There has been alot of great ideas here, they need to be followed through with e-mails to the right people to make things happen. Lets do it!

Hammerhead
09-04-2003, 03:48 PM
How many seats were really in Dacotah Field?

Back when the Fargodome was still just an idea (and had a round roof!) wasn't there someone who actually walked up and down the aisles and counted the seats and he came up with a number much smaller than the crowd estimates put out by NDSU.

Maybe 10,000 - 12,000 fans isn't too bad for D-II football. Fargo-Moorhead is much bigger now than it was 10 years ago and the move up to D-1AA could be enough to draw more interest in the games.

Tuk
09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Now wouldn't it be great to have a stadium like Washington Griz? Open air stadium with about 30,000 or so seats waiting for our next opponent to play in our "hospitable" climate? The dome idea is nice, but I think most sports have taken the true challenge out of the game: adjusting the game to the weather. Look at the great games played in Green Bay.....you can't tell me they wouldn't be as great as they are viewed today without the snow and freezing temps. The snow, the cold, and the hot chocolate with a few choice additions of other liquids, well....i don't know about you but to me....THATS FOOTBALL!! Thats why people still reminence about Dacotah....and why I think the Dome experience dulls compared to the Golden Age of Bison football.....

Nevertheless, the Dome is where we play, and I agree we still have 10000 loyal to semi-loyal fans who show up. It is up to all of us to get the word out, the fans on their feet, and cure the fanbase of this prim and proper, tea drinking, Wimboldon (sp)-like b.s. attitude....I just hope future Bison are not as lame as a lot of older ones are now

JBB
09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
One of the reasons the BISON do so well attendance wise is the inclusion of the older demographic. This demographic was excluded from Dacotah Field because of the weather and poor seating conditions. Now this older demographic is one of the most loyal and supporting of BISON football. They may not be as loud as some may like, but every week there are thousands of empty seats waiting for the younger rowdier fans.

bisononce
09-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Bison fan1 is correct. These ideas need to be in front of the decision makers. For every message to one another on this board we need to send a copy or direct message to those who can do things, such as the athletic department. Inside scoop: Gene Taylor is one of the good guys. He will listen and is eager for good ideas to implement. For example, he spoke of getting tents involved in the tail gating and now the tents are appearing...

BisonMav
09-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Will there be 15,000 at the Dome next Saturday?

Bisonguy
09-07-2003, 12:28 AM
I hope so. 17,000 or 19,000 would be even better..

SDbison
09-07-2003, 12:40 AM
I think the local media and big business Bison team makers should find a way to assure a sold out Fargodome for next weeks game. This team deserves it along with outstanding applause! Go Bison! Trying to enjoy the moment, but I can't wait for next weeks road trip to Fargo. My wife and I are so glad we bought season tickets. Thanks coach Bohl and staff, thanks team! Also can't forget all the fans and player's family that made it out to the game in Montana!

GFBisonFan
09-07-2003, 04:25 AM
I know that I'll be there (as always)! We need to pack the dome to welcome home the team. Next week is no cake walk either, we cannot afford to let down now and a large noisy crowd would help out!!! SDBison, we are in the same section. I sit a couple of rows ahead of you (I was one of the only two-you and I-who stood up to cheer). Easy to identify-I have all the girls.

SDbison
09-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Hello GFBisonFan. Look forward to seeing you at next weeks game. Maybe we can double, triple or quadruple the number of people who actually get up an cheer at the Cal Davis game. It was a great game today and I suppose many of the fair weather fans will be back. Just hope they want to express themselves more since they have some missed games to make up. Well, just to let you know I have all girls too, three from my first marriage and three more from my second. No future Bison football players. They are all grown up now, only two left in high school. See you on Saturday.