PDA

View Full Version : Grand Forks Herald on Sunday....

Tuk
09-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Just looking at the Herald.com website (don't ask why ???) and noticed they didn't have any articles about the NDSU/Montana game.....I can bet the Forum has their infamous Potato Bowl against the D2 powerhouse Crookston, but apparently the report of NDSU upsetting the #3 ranked DIAA team is too much for Grand Forks to take. *Are they scared? *Are they trying to keep the UND students and alumni in the dark?

Who knows....

BisonMav
09-07-2003, 11:24 AM
The story was hidden in this article.

GF Herald (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/6711687.htm)

This is my favorite paragraph:

Making matters worse for those UND officials who are trying to avoid stepping up to NCAA Division I is what took place in Missoula, Mont., on the same day as UND's 59-0 victory against the Golden Eagles.

The Bison, of course, shocked the No. 3 team in NCAA Division I-AA, topping Montana 25-24 in a thriller

You can't beat a Montana if you don't schedule them.

mojobison
09-07-2003, 01:35 PM
My favorite:

"We really want to put together a challenging schedule for the 2004 season1," Sioux football coach Dale Lennon said.

1 But not too challenging. But not NDSU. Dale probably was thinking Bemidji State, Tiffin, and Colorado School of Mines, better teams for sure but not too challenging.

SDbison
09-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Here are some of my favorites out of that Herold article. I can't wait until we have nothing to do with the Siouxage up north. If they are so f'ing great then why do they always seem so interested in what we are doing and comparing their stature to ours. The best thing will be to annihilate them in this years game, take the nickel, and make them pay us to play on our turf for any future games (in any sport). Just like Montana learned, we need to be aggressive against UND the whole game this year and not let up until the Bison are ahead 50 something to nothing. Again, my favorite from the pompous Sue:

While UND says it will stay in Division II, the Bison will move to Division I-AA beginning next season. Saturday, they proved they can compete against the top Division I-AA teams. The only problem is football is one of the few sports schools such as NDSU can realistically win a national championship in at the Division I level.
Who are they to comment on where NDSU will be competitive. The chickens are too afraid to consider D1. ,of course, except for their precious hockey. Or are they about to reconsider based on NDSU's success? Another nugget of brilliant thinking from the Herold article:
I don't know if I'm for the Division I thing for UND. But it might be time the option is explored.
So they haven't explored the option to this point? What a bunch of followers at UND. If D2 with D1 hockey is so awesome shut up and do your thing. Let NDSU's risk takers take the knocks yet realize glory when achieved. UND is no longer a factor......unless the whiners up north seriously want to reconsider.

Dirty
09-07-2003, 03:17 PM
The story isn't on the online Herald because amazingly it actually sucks more than the printed Herald. In the printed Herald an article on the Bison game is the banner headline in the Sports section.

*I can't wait until we have nothing to do with the Siouxage up north. *If they are so f'ing great then why do they always seem so interested in what we are doing and comparing their stature to ours.

If NDSU is so f'n great, why do you guys spend so much time talking about and comparing them to UND? ;)

As far as the comment on what sports NDSU will be able to compete in, there may be a bit of logic in it. NDSU has won national championships in FB, BB, Softball (?), volleyball (?). It would be tough for NDSU to be able to win in many of the other sports besides football just because they won't be in what is considered a big time conference like the Big Ten, Pac 10, ACC, etc. It was still a stupid comment to make, though.

KTF
09-07-2003, 03:18 PM
You have summed up the UND situation very well in your responses but I am curios what lies ahead for the rivalry? I say that they play us so that they can keep their alumni happy for a few years yet. Kind of a way to skirt around the D-1 move issue.

BisonFan
09-07-2003, 04:02 PM
This article seems to hint at the fact that deep inside of many UND backers there is some envy there and they are trying to deny it with such articles....As for Football being the only sport NDSU will be able to compete at the IAA level in, I would say Wrestling should not have a problem. They already compete against Division I teams every year and they represent themselves well and put up a good fight every time. I think basketball will be able to compete, just give the coaches a couple of years to recruit and they will compete...Volleyball should also be able to compete at that level in a short period of time. Maybe even the track teams...Sure we won't have D1 hockey, but we will have D1 everything else....What's better? D1 Hockey, or D1 Institution top to bottom, athletics and academics? I think we all know the answer...GO NDSU!

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2003, 04:16 PM
I just want to say this...

WHO THE F*** CARES ABOUT HOCKEY?!

Football, Basketball, Baseball.....Fall, Winter, Summer. THOSE are the sports that this country cares about...THOSE are the sports that make the big money and support the athletic dept....THOSE are the sports that the BISON will/can dominate the sue in

Hockey? Well...have fun in that with 3 Major conferences in the whole nation and a handful of states in which youth hockey is popular. As for us ....we'll send our best athletes to the court...and keep them off the ice.

Dirty
09-07-2003, 04:35 PM
How much support does that baseball team get at NDSU? If they don't get much, how will that help the University make money? Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt baseball is a money making sport for NDSU.

The country might care about baseball, football and basketball, but in ND it doesn't seem that way and that is more important. Outside of the Redhawks, baseball isn't that big up here. Even with the Redhawks, I don't now how big it is. Football, Basketball, hockey are all bigger. Do you ever see a college or high school baseball game on tv or the radio around here? Nope. Basketball, football and hockey are though. Baseball is the only "big 4" sport in high school that doesn't have its' HS state championship televised in both MN and ND. I think baseball will just be another drain on the athletic department, like most sports.

NDSU will do very well making money with the basketball and football programs. The problem is supporting all those other non-money making sports with the FB and BB programs. I think that is what UND's main argument is against going DI. It is tough enough supporting all those sports at the DII level. NDSU has good support for BB and great support for football. How much can they improve that support and make more money from those two? I think NDSU might start doing what UND and many other schools are doing now. They'll start upping prices, charging for all sorts of things and generally annoying Bison fans. Of course, you guys will keep paying for it because you love your Bison, you just won't be happy about it. :)

BisonFan
09-07-2003, 04:37 PM
I just want to say this...

WHO THE F*** CARES ABOUT HOCKEY?!

Football, Basketball, Baseball.....Fall, Winter, Summer. THOSE are the sports that this country cares about...THOSE are the sports that make the big money and support the athletic dept....THOSE are the sports that the BISON will/can dominate the sue in

Hockey? Well...have fun in that with 3 Major conferences in the whole nation and a handful of states in which youth hockey is popular. As for us ....we'll send our best athletes to the court...and keep them off the ice.

Where did I say I was a big hockey fan? Where did I say NDSU should get hockey? I was just stating a fact. I'm pretty sure D1 hockey does bring in a lot of money to schools so I wouldn't go so far as to say Basketball is the only college sport in the Winter that makes a significant sum of money for schools. If you don't like hockey, that's fine. I'm not much of a fan of the game myself. Just don't think because you don't like hockey that there are not NDSU students or Alumni that would like to see the option explored sometime in the future.

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Hockey is a complete waste of NDSU's time IMO. The only reason the sue make money in hockey is that they were gifted an amazing area. Without that arena...i'm sure they would still have a good team...but it wouldn't be such a big deal and they certainly wouldn't make as much money as they do now. IMO...the englested should be for bball...and it is used that way sometimes.

Look at high school sports: accross the country Women's bball is the number 1 sport as far as participation goes. Men's bball is number 2..behind football. Hockey...not in the top 5 for men's or women's.

Leave hockey for those crazy canadian's....after all....they make up most of the NHL (them and europeans) players.

BisonFan
09-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Look at high school sports: accross the country Women's bball is the number 1 sport as far as participation goes. Men's bball is number 2..behind football. Hockey...not in the top 5 for men's or women's.

If winters everywhere were like they are in the Upper Midwest, Hockey would be up in the top two or three sports. The only reason hockey isn't higher up is because the climate doesn't allow for it most places. Like I said, I'm not a big hockey fan either. I am, however, not ignorant to the facts. Just because you don't like hockey doesn't mean everyone should be like you and not like hockey. Stop being so egocentric!

BisonFan
09-07-2003, 07:05 PM
p.s. Have you ever gone to a Division I Hockey game? The atmosphere is so full of energy, even at schools that are perenial doormats!

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2003, 07:15 PM
If winters everywhere were like they are in the Upper Midwest, Hockey would be up in the top two or three sports. *The only reason hockey isn't higher up is because the climate doesn't allow for it most places. Like I said, I'm not a big hockey fan either. *I am, however, not ignorant to the facts. *Just because you don't like hockey doesn't mean everyone should be like you and not like hockey. *Stop being so egocentric!

Right....so according to you...simply because it doesn't snow or get as cold in most of the US as it does here...is the reason hockey teams are even fielded at most HS's in the US. Right...

The main reason is because it is too expensive! Rinks have to be maintained....or do you think that water just freezes naturally in rink shape (nevermidn that it's indoors). And hockey requires alot of expensive pads. Football also requires expensive pads too...but the main differences between between football and hockey in that respect is at the youth level. In youth football you are often given pads and helmets to use...but in youth hockey you almost always have to buy your pads. And if you're a goalie...you could be talking about $1000+.

Now look at basketball....what do you need? 2 hoops...that's it. 2 Hoops and you can play anywhere any time. Also you arn't require to learn how to skate and stick handle.

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2003, 07:16 PM
PS...no i havn't been to a hockey game yet.

BisonFan
09-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Right....so according to you...simply because it doesn't snow or get as cold in most of the US as it does here...is the reason hockey teams are even fielded at most HS's in the US. Right...

The main reason is because it is too expensive! Rinks have to be maintained....or do you think that water just freezes naturally in rink shape (nevermidn that it's indoors). And hockey requires alot of expensive pads. Football also requires expensive pads too...but the main differences between between football and hockey in that respect is at the youth level. In youth football you are often given pads and helmets to use...but in youth hockey you almost always have to buy your pads. And if you're a goalie...you could be talking about $1000+.

Now look at basketball....what do you need? 2 hoops...that's it. 2 Hoops and you can play anywhere any time. Also you arn't require to learn how to skate and stick handle.

Getting pretty desperate with your arguments now, aren't you? Anyone who knows anything about hockey knows it costs a lot of money. Towns in the uppermidwest not only have rinks for hockey...they use them for Figure Skating too. I'm pretty sure its the same most places. The truth remains that you just don't like hockey 1234 and because of that NDSU shouldn't even look at the possibility of hockey. Maybe one day you will get a reality check and realize the world doesn't only cater to your wants and likes.

Bisonguy
09-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Getting back to the original topic:

Who gives a crap where the Bison are in the Grand Forks newspaper? Where is UND located? If UND was on the front page of The Forum, I would be pissed. NDSU has suprisingly received a lot of press in the Herald this year. Some has been good, some bad. In previous years NDSU scores were in a tiny section with about two sentences.

The NDSU victory was THE story on all the newscasts last night (delays by football games allowed me to watch all four). Even on the UND media outlet, KVLY and their sister station KXJB, the Bison victory was the BIG Story. The lead-in to the sports on KVLY was the anchor asking the sports announcer what all the screaming was in the sports department earlier in the day. He replied, "We were watching the Bison game". The KVLY sports announcer even compared it to the Miracle on Ice.

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Getting pretty desperate with your arguments now, aren't you? *Anyone who knows anything about hockey knows it costs a lot of money. *Towns in the uppermidwest not only have rinks for hockey...they use them for Figure Skating too. * I'm pretty sure its the same most places. The truth remains that you just don't like hockey 1234 and because of that NDSU shouldn't even look at the possibility of hockey. *Maybe one day you will get a reality check and realize the world doesn't only cater to your wants and likes.

Well i guess "lots" (more like a few) communities throw tons of tax and fundraised dollars down the drain every year so that their communities can have youth and HS hockey. I suppose maybe some of those kids have a dream of playing in either college (for one of the dozen or so teams that exist) or more likely for a juniors team (anyone who knows anything about the juniors program knows that if you don't get on an A team you are pretty much wasting your time) so they can keep playing. Lots of wasted money and time their...instead they could be playing bball and have a much better chance to get recruited by a college (or even play at a junior/ciommunity college....alot have bball since it's so cheap to run)and play.

All in all...i am definately not a big fan of hockey...it's a canadian and northern european game...and i say let em have it. But the US, being how it is, has to try and be the best in *everything*...so USA hockey gets started up and lots of communities waste tons of energy and money on community rinks and youth programs...and US juniors teams start up...and some US colleges add hockey to try and get some money out of that (some do make goodm oney at it ,UND for one)...and lastly....since the US dollar has such a big advantage over the canadian dollar the US takes over the NHL (only 3 canadian teams remain) and they do make quite a bit of money...lots of americans are proud to watch their teams ..chock full of canadian and european players...take on the rival city's team...also chock full of international players...and pay big bucks to do so.

So you can see...i'm not the hugest fan of hockey....but if you like hockey then do as you please. Everyone should have their own opinion.

BisonMav
09-07-2003, 07:47 PM
I have been to Division I hockey, NHL hockey, High School Hockey, USHL Hockey, Traveling Hockey etc...
I have been to the Wild games, Back to Back NCAA Champions Minnesota Gopher Games, Stanley Cup Finals Games, Minnesota State Hockey Tourney. I have seen Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Patrick Roy play.

To me, none of this even comes close to Bison Football.

Bisonguy
09-07-2003, 07:47 PM
BisonFan and Bisonfan1234,

Please take your hockey pissing match someplace else. This is a Football forum. Start a new thread in Smack Talk or Other Sports, or just Instant Message each other. Nobody else gives a crap about this discussion and it does not belong in this forum or this thread.

BisonFan
09-07-2003, 08:06 PM
I agree, this is smack talk. I should have just ignored 1234 when he kept probing for a response. Instead of taking this to smack talk, i'm just going to ignore anything 1234 has to say!

SDbison
09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Hey Dirty......good come back taking my statement and switching the words around. Must of taken a lot of thought to come up with that. Why is it you loser Sioux fans flit around the Bison message boards all the time. I am not going to waste my time debating the D1 decision from our perspective. NDSU made the decision and is committed to making it work. UND has said it will not move to D1. Case closed. Just wish you UND folks would stay in your own world beating up the new little teams in D2. As for Hockey, wish you guys good luck since the Bison don't have a team yet. Personally I love hockey. I am about to go to my hockey league meeting at 3 PM (just got back into playing after many years absent). My point was why does UND / Grand Forks want to make so much commentary about what will happen to the Bison in D1. I think the Bison victory over Montana was a good indicator of how serious we are. Sure the other sports will struggle for a while, but I think there will be some success in the years to come. Thats NDSU's challenge not UND's. Go Bison in D1. Hope the Sioux are happy in D2 (except for hockey that is D1). ;)

Dirty
09-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Why is it you loser Sioux fans flit around the Bison message boards all the time.

I was trying be nice and just provide some thoughts from a different perspective. *I found this board last week and posted for the first time today. *Sorry, for trying to remain civil and discuss something. I'll let this board remain a place for Bison and Jack fans to talk about about how UND sucks. Bye.