PDA

View Full Version : UC-Davis

Bisonguy
09-07-2003, 09:05 PM
The sweet taste of victory is fading in the mouths of the Bison. It is now time to think about next week........

The Bison are fairlly injury free, with Bobby Babich having suffered a concusion. Frank Irby and Travis White probably also suffered concussions, but nothing was reported.

UC-Davis is coming off a disappointing loss to one of the top DII schools. A lackluster offensive performace was very uncharacteristic of the Aggies.

Bison avenge last year's slaughter and kick a good team when they are down.

Bison-31
Aggies-27
Turnover advantage helps the Bison win......

Attendance- 15,000+ ;D

KTF
09-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Bisonguy,

I am not real familiar with the Aggies, how much do they resemble the Griz? in my mind we have proven that we can play with anybody. I think the big factor this weekend is going to the home crowd. I personally am bringing 4 extra people this weekend to help boost the crowd!!

Bisonguy
09-07-2003, 09:49 PM
They spanked us last year 35-7 in the second game(it was an away game). This should be every bit the game that it was against the Griz. UC-Davis held Grand Valley State (#1 or #2 team in D2, depending on poll) to a 6-6 tie in regulation. They lost by a FG in OT. They consistently bring good teams onto the field. They have good QBs and receivers.

It will be a battle........

KTF
09-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Bisonguy,

I remember the spanking they gave us:( Hopefully we can return the favor:) Being that our defense seems to be improving play by play, maybe we can turn them 1 dimensional like they did us last year? If I recall correctly, they shut down our run last year, forcing Gorder to pass alot? We all know why we lost that one then!

My prediction (first ever)!!:

Bison 35
Aggies 24

Stauss passing for more TD's and the crowd being the factors.

SDbison
09-08-2003, 01:58 AM
The new west coast offense has been good to the Bison but I hope that Bohl can work in some more passes to the tight ends (must be high percentage completions to them so far this year). Also still have not seen but one long pass to keep the D honest. Seems like Stauss has not been getting a lot of time to pass and I assume Bohl wants to get the the west coast clicking. From what I have seen of Stauss it appears he has a really strong and accurate arm, but his down field capabilities have yet to be demonstated in a game. Mostly quick drop throws along the line of scrimmage. Has anyone seen Stauss air it out during the spring game or scrimmage? When you think about it the Bison have so many offensive weapons this year to utilize. Hope the coaching staff can continue to find the best weapons to use for each game. My prediction for the Cal-Davis game:
Bison 42 Aggies 13
The Bison D comes up big and the offense unleashes a flurry of scoring in the first half. Did you see how well the Bison offensive line took care of Montana. Cal Davis may be good but I don't think they would be better on the D line than Montana. Of course we have home field advantage and the Bison will want to show what they got. We have some great athletes out there this year.

Bisonguy
09-08-2003, 02:21 AM
I think any decent opposing team coach already respects the deep threat with Burrell and Johnson's speed.

The WCO is designed for high percentage passes, usually up to about 12 yards deep. That's where most of NDSU's passes will occur. Throwing deep is exciting, but I would rather have 15 5 yard passes than 1 75 yard pass. The WCO is sort of a passing option game. It will wear down the other team with consistent yardage gained, and win the time of possesion battle. The WCO also has a lot of three step drops so the QB can get the ball off, even under pressure or a team that blitzes a lot.

I think the offense will get into a few more deep plays as the year progresses. Enos has stated that they are adding more to the offense each week. The TE's might see more passes after Wieser's stretched out fingertip grab that gave the Bison the lead against Montana (I feel sorry for those that didn't get to see it ;D).

Bisonfan1234
09-08-2003, 03:18 AM
1st quarter

UCD comes out of the gate fast with a touchdown and field goal

NDSU answers with a field goal

2nd quarter
no scoring

3rd quarter
no scoring

4th
Ndsu gets a late touchdown to send it to OT

OT
Ndsu stops UCD, they miss field goal, ndsu hits field goal for win.

GoAgs
09-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Should be a great game this weekend. Davis' offense is coming off a terrible performance. For those of you that were in Davis last year and remember the feeling of watching your receivers drop balls and qb run for his life, that is what last weekend was like for Aggie Fans. The dome gives NDSU a big home field advantage. Davis had numerous false starts and delays on the HOME FIELD. Imagine the problems of a loud dome and astroturf for guys from California(for those of you that saw the UND semi final you remember Davis' problems with noise).

If the Bison score 42 points I will be absolutely shocked. If you score 21 I'd say thats a really good performance against UCD's D.

WYOBISONMAN
09-08-2003, 04:47 PM
My take is it will be a great defensive game with two solid D units out there. *A low scoring match that NDSU will win by a small margin. *I look for a great and exciting game. The first "Great West Conference" game at NDSU!!!!!

BisonMav
09-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Bison 24, UC Davis 20

Another come from behind win. Bison don't score until the second quarter.

GFBisonFan
09-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Coach Bohl should be able to keep the guys up for this one (for those who don't remember last years schelacking-?sp). We are coming off a HUGE win and they are coming off a disappointing loss, a good setup for a letdown. They will come out gunning. As fans, we need to get into the game early and show our support. Cal Davis is a good team and hopefully is not taken lightly. One big win is nice, but as a team the momentum needs to be sustained throughout the year. No time for a letdown!! I know I'll be there yelling as usual. GO BISON!!!!

JBB
09-08-2003, 08:54 PM
UCD had about 8,700 at last weeks game. *12,000 plus would be a good welcoming committee. *They are going to be good. *But NDSU has a chance. *Last year we dropped 12 balls. *There were only about 3 drops against Montana last week.

NDSU is quietly building a lot of experience and depth. *Our offensive line has emerged as a solid and possibly outstanding group headed up by Rob Hunt. *We have a great one two punch at tailback, much like the Gordon/Perkins combo. *Our TEs are almost interchangable and all are very good. *We have speed and strength. *Montana didnt forget to show. *They were taken over physically slowly but surely. *

Summerville is heading up what is really a star studded defensive starting unit with Essler, Thomas, Kittelson, Erenberg and the bunch. *I like how Bobby Babich plays. *He has a warriors attitude. *I hope hes back.

Our coaches have emerged as a great bunch of football guys. *Finally an offense that has some imagination and flexibility in a game plan. *Players looking like they know what they are doing. *Organized and single minded the BISON *look well coached. *Craig Bohl knows what he is doing. *His staff has hooked up to a rising star.

Who wins on Saturday? *Who cares as long as the BISON are on the field. *But, the game will end and when it does NDSU will be looking over Division II football much like they did in the old days. *I doubt this one gets out of *hand but a 21-10 BISON victory is not out of reach.

AP86
09-09-2003, 07:19 AM
I feel obliged to inform those on this board who know little or nothing about UC Davis Football and this years team that you are really underestimating the Aggies.

I will tell you this much. Last week UC Davis made many mistakes, most of them unforced. Don't expect that to continue. I am not saying it won't next week, but I would'nt count on it. I know you like your team, in particular your defense. However, your biggest advantage will be home field and a hostile, loud environment.

Here is what you will probably see from the Ags. Offensively, UCD has a big, solid Offensive Line. Average size of 6'4" 310 and all are very capable. A QB that is very experienced and runs the sophisticated Aggie offense very well. A deceptive running back that can give teams problems carrying the ball and catching it out of the backfield. A receiving corps made up of 6 good receivers. This area is a little untested, but from what I have seen( Stanford scrimmage and GVSU game) these guys are all very capable. Offensive summary...it will probably take a few games for the Aggie Offense to really kick into high gear, however, the ability of the Aggie coaching staff to make adjustments and a experience QB and O line will be a challenge for all we face.

Defense....Solid Dline....active DEs...good against the run..Linebackers...experienced ...good against the run...opportunistic in creating turnovers....good experienced safeties.....new corners....have looked good so far. Watced them against the Stanford receivers and was quite impressed with their coverage abilities.

Good K and P.

It really is matter of eliminating the silly mistakes that often occur in a first game. If UCD does that, you can expect a handful on Saturday...believe that!!

I can't really give a prediction, being that I really don't know about the Bison. Unless you would have seen UCD play....you are really shooting in the blind with any predictions. It might be fair to say it will be close and being that it is a Bison home field, the advantage goes to NDSU. It should be a fun game to watch...nice to hear you guys have turned it around this year!!

BisonMav
09-09-2003, 01:15 PM
You can bet the Bison are not under-estimating the Aggies, especially after last years game. Plus you played the #1 team close last week. Davis and the Bison have always been great programs. Most of the talk here is well deserved enthusiasm by the fans after the win against Montana.

JBB
09-09-2003, 01:18 PM
I know the Aggies are good. They have a powerfull offensive line and talented backs. That makes last weeks 28 yds rushing a mystery. I dont think that is the result of a few mistakes.

No doubt they have a great defense too, but GVSU is rebuilding its offensive after graduating a lot of great players. Could it be that the defense isnt as good as you might think, GVSU inexperienced offense might have been part of their 9 pt showing?

Hammerhead
09-09-2003, 06:54 PM
NDSU seemed to wear down both Montana lines in the 2nd half of the game. They may not be as big as Davis' players but you've got to think they are just as athletic and probably all on full-ride scholarships.

NDSU teams dominated D-II back in the 80s because we were one of the few teams who actually had 45 scholarships and could sign the best linemen.

mojobison
09-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Urban legend, Hammerhead. In D2 there are more underfunded teams now than there were back then.

AP86
09-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Obviously we have only played one game so we have to see what unfolds. Any time you hold someone of the caliber of either UCD or GVSU under 10 points, the defenses must have done a pretty good job. I am definately not overestimating the defense. As for the rushing number.....the 28 yards was after adding in the lost yardage due to the 5 sacks. Even taking that out, we didn't really gain a lot of yardage on the ground. But for that matter, we didn't gain much period!. Davis had two plays alone, for 40-50 yards combined, that were called back because of unforced penalties. Illegal line shifts. I kid you not...there was a stretch between the beginning of the second quarter and the early part of the 3rd where UCD was consistently in a 3rd and 20, inside their 20. Credit the GVSU defense....they really deserve the credit. But equally as much, UCD had at least one senseless penalty in each of those drives(if you can call them drives!) I'm rambling.......bottom line....I know they can play much better than they did!

SDbison
09-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Hey GoAgs and AP86, not to rain on your parade but you don't seem to know or acknowledge much about this Bison team except that they have home field advantage for this game. Seems you make a lot of excuses for Cal-Davis's loss last week. Lets see, you lost to a top ranked D2 team yet I didn't see you mention NDSU's victory over a top ranked D1AA team. Hope you know that this years Bison team is by no means the team you played last year. There are several improvements in the players and coaches. Hope your team is up to the challenge.

GoAgs
09-10-2003, 03:43 AM
What is there for us to say that hasn't already been said? Talk is cheap lets wait until Saturday.

SDbison
09-10-2003, 05:18 AM
Here are some significant points that need to be made. The Bison are coming off a big time victory on the road to play at home. The Aggies had a disappointing loss at home last week and have to travel to Fargo. If the Bison coaches were able to get the team mentally ready to play on the road against a D1AA powerhouse then they should be able to get them up for the home game against Cal-Davis. I think the Aggies may be the ones to under estimate the Bison rather than the other way around.

GoAgs
09-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Based on what? Two posters on a North Dakota State football message board. Give me a break. And it's UC Davis, not Cal-Davis.

WYOBISONMAN
09-10-2003, 05:38 AM
It will be a very even and hard fought battle. I think UCD had an off night last week and will be looking to get on track at NDSU on Saturday. I give the edge to the Bison due to the home field. I for one Bison fan have a gread deal of respect for Davis. As I said earlier this will be a defensive battle.

GoAgs
09-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Another thing, one of your fans said that the only way NDSU would lose is if Bohl had a heart attack on the sideline. The Davis fans aren't looking past the Bison, it's the other way around.

tony
09-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Based on what? Two posters on a North Dakota State football message board. Give me a break. And it's UC Davis, not Cal-Davis.

Oh oh. I have Cal-Davis plastered all over the place. I didn't realize it was insulting or anything. I'll get it changed before game time - in the meantime, sorry about that.

I just wish we had another week before the UC Davis game so we could build up to it properly. Like a lot of Bison fans, my post-Montana hangover hasn't cleared up yet (figuratively speaking of course).

SDbison
09-10-2003, 06:00 AM
GoAgs, my point is the Aggies are more likely to under estimate the Bison since they had a pretty easy time of it last year. Wish you could have seen the Bison Offense blow the Montana Defense off the line last week. I think the homefield advantage will keep your offensive output down and the Bison offense will come out strong and wear you down. Your big line on O may find carrying those extra pounds will be their demise. By the way this thread hasn't been around that long and Saturday is still a ways away. In the meantime I want to hear more about UC Davis. How many do you have coming back from last years team, etc.

Bisonguy
09-10-2003, 06:02 AM
GoAgs,

I don't think that any knowledgable Bison fans are looking past, or underestimating UC-Davis. The Aggies have always had a very good team on the field, and will bring that into the Fargodome.

If I remember correctly, the score of last year's contest was pretty conservative. UCD only scored one TD in the second half, and the only Bison score was in the fourth quarter. Even without all the missed execution on the part of the Bison, the Aggies could have easily put another couple of TD's on the board. The Aggies went into cruise control in the second half out of respect to NDSU.

It will be a very close game, but I see the crowd helping out NDSU to victory.

Bisonguy
09-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Here's the numbers for the games including two deeps and all that -Bison vs. UC-Davis (http://www.gobison.com/mens/football/index.cgi?id=2465)

Here's the breakdown on the lines, etc.:
STATISTICAL COMPARISONS:
North Dakota State Cal-Davis
OFFENSIVE WEIGHTS
Avg. Wt. Off. Line 293 312
Avg. Wt. Receivers 199 188
Avg. Wt. Backs 211 201

DEFENSIVE WEIGHTS
Avg. Wt. Def. Line 267 251
Avg. Wt. LBers 226 216
Avg. Wt. Backs 186 190

OFFENSIVE YARDAGE (Averages for NDSU based on 2 games & UC-D for 1 game)
Yds. Per Game Rushing 163.5 28.0
Yds. Per Game Passing 171.5 186.0
Yds. Per Game Tot. Off. 335.0 214.0
Points Per Game 26.5 6.0

DEFENSIVE YARDAGE (Averages for NDSU based on 2 games & UC-D for 1 game)
Yds. Per Game Rushing 58.0 141.0
Yds. Per Game Passing 235.5 216.0
Yds. Per Game Tot. Def. 293.5 357.0
Points Per Game 15.5 9.0

North Dakota State Cal-Davis
TURNOVERS (Figures for NDSU based on 2 games & UC-D for 1 game)
Fumbles Gained 0 3
Interceptions Gained 3 1
Total Turnovers Gained 3 4

Fumbles Lost 2 2
Interceptions Lost 0 1
Total Turnovers Lost 2 3

Net Gain/Lost Plus 1 Plus 1

JBB
09-10-2003, 01:31 PM
I dont think anybodys looking past this one. Certainly not UCD. The big worry is of course the "let down". I hope Coach Bohl can keep everyone focused.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Aggies were peanalized for over 100 yds. NDSU had a lot of penalities too. But the rest of our game was there. It didnt seem like UCD had the rest of their game together either, except on defense. Im still wondering how good the GVSU offense is since it had a huge graduation impact last year.

With the big improvements coming between first and second game I would expect to see am uch improved Aggies performance on Saturday. It looks like 15,000 is not out of the question.

WYOBISONMAN
09-10-2003, 05:26 PM
I think JBB is right to be talking about penalties. they were a problem last year that appeared to be fixed during the Tusculum game. Then the penalty situation was not good during the Montana game. I hope that was just jitters created by playing Montana at Wash/Griz. NDSU needs to play a clean game as they did against Tusculum and not get hurt by penalties.

GoAgs
09-10-2003, 05:39 PM
SDBison,
I watched your game on television so I understand that you played very well, especially in the second half.

And the Cal-Davis/UC Davis thing isn't that big of a deal. A lot of the media outlets still say Cal-Davis even though the entire UC system switched to the UCI/UCD/UCR verbage about 20 years ago from Cal-Irvine/Cal-Davis/Cal-Riverside. One things for sure, they don't make the mistake with Cal-Los Angeles although Berkeley is really the problem because they insist on being called California rather than UC Berkeley leading many to say Cal-Berkeley.

WYOBISONMAN
09-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Bison Insider is calling the game a Davis win.....Cal-Davis 27, North Dakota State 23.

check out the link....

http://bisonrule.tripod.com/bisoninsider/id1.html

KTF
09-10-2003, 06:36 PM
He can predict all he wants but he predicted a defeat last week. I do agree with his concerns about overconfidence though!

Hammerhead
09-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Well, maybe that is a Fargo legend instead of an urban legend. ;)

Urban legend, Hammerhead. In D2 there are more underfunded teams now than there were back then.

tony
09-10-2003, 09:32 PM
I almost always pick the Bison to lose too - I just don't predict the score or make it public.

The last game that I predicted a win for NDSU was back in 2000, Bison v Dragons, and that was only after NDSU beat TAMUK 52-7 the week before.

I watched UC Davis beat NDSU in every phase of the game last year. Now their QB is a year more experienced and their defense looks to be better. Obviously, NDSU has improved a whole lot, but is it enough? Guess we'll find out.

enforcer
09-10-2003, 09:41 PM
The UC-Davis defensive line and linebackers are smallish. The Bison offensive line should be able to get a big push like last week. Look for our offense to control the ball. I think we will see some long drives again.

The UC-Davis snapper is a Freshman. I think I smell a muffed snap or a block.

I just picked up tickets. It sounds like there will be more than the 15,000 that some of you are predicting. The phones are still ringing off the hook.

Enforcer

KTF
09-11-2003, 12:14 AM
If you let at year's game, we didn't have a QB that average 70% pass completion. Iremember the goal of the UC-Davis was to make us beat them by passing and making us one dimensional. Gorder missed passes and the recievers dropped them. So far this year we haven't had that problem. I think that is the reason we lost last year. This year is different Stauss and Enos are going for plays that are highly completable. If Stauss gets good protection I am sure he has the talent to pick apar the defense. The other thing they may be thinking about is bringing in Bellquist and Weist since they are taller than the linebackers and DB's.

If this works it could a good game on the Bisons part.

Moonstar
09-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Hopefully, the coaches have the Bison prepared for a good UCD team, and have put behind them for now, a very exciting win in Montana. Call me conservative if you want, but my heart says NDSU wins and my head says UCD takes this one.

JBB
09-13-2003, 03:23 PM
I agree with KTF. We lost last year because we dropped 13 balls. Consequently the team was crushed by a great opponent leading to what Tony saw as a defeat in every phase of the game. In my mind, last year is really not a good indicator. but I have never seen that game. It was probably the soundest thrashing we took last year.

Last years BISON team was plauged by injury and inexperience. We were already short handed for the UCD game. But, considering all that went wrong the team actually looked good in every game I saw, especially on defense. But, the offensive short comings always took their toll.

We played the longest game in history against USD and lost. We put up 42 against a great UNO team and lost, we held UNC until late in the 3rd, and lost. We had UND on the ropes but lost. I can even remember saying we had a chance after holding SCSU down for the first half.

The team showed signs then and I think its coming to fruition now. Experience and a couple of new outstanding players, some good coaching and position shifts. I think this BISON club is for real. We probably wont go undefeated, but today is a day the BISON win.

We are their equal, not their superior. If it wasnt for all the intangables the game would be even. I think we are now out of the shadow of the incident with Ed Schultz. That was the end of Dacotah Fields hay day. After that the stadium was in a near lock down state and that continued into the FFD. Heavy policing, strict rules, removing fans from the stadium that were too rowdy. Discouraging tailgating. It was our dark ages. It has all turned around now. You can just feel it rising.

A win here is very big for the future. A loss will be discouraging but sets the stage for a huge run. Either way its a new book that is being written. It's the third wave of BISON Lore.

The sun just popped out of the heavy clouds. Its a sign. Im heading to Fargo right now. Go BISON!!!!!