PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting season

tony
09-15-2003, 03:46 AM
I check out Minnesotapreps and wisconsinpreps every once in a while and see that there are a lot of players listing NDSU as one of the schools they are looking at.

The latest was offensive lineman Jamie Hinker, 6'4 325, 5.2 40, benches 435, squats 500. He's from Greenwood, WI. He mentions NDSU being DI - I didn't think that going DI would give NDSU such an immediate recruiting advantage... guess I was wrong. Proof will be in February.

Bisonguy
09-15-2003, 04:08 AM
I think it will help out a lot. All the top MN and WI talent that want to stay in the area, but can't quite get a full ride to the Gophers or Badgers only have one (two, if you count SDSU) choice. The DI level (even I-AA) is what every high school kid dreams of playing at.

I am excited to see what the new coaching staff does as far as recruiting. They have a boatload of experience and a lot of contacts all over the country. I think the next recruiting class may be the most geographically diverse to date.

At least we know why Bohl and Enos were at the Fargo South and West Fargo games a couple weeks back.

Trainer
09-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Also from jsonline: Mid-major Division I schools Ball State and Northern Illinois, along with DI-AA North Dakota State, have shown interest in QB Danny Freund, Kenosha St. Joseph High School, 6-1 190lbs. In his first two games this fall, Freund has been red hot, completing 31 of 51 passes for 601 yards, six touchdowns and just one interception.

bisononce
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Trainer. Information, please. Would you define Mid-major?

Trainer
09-15-2003, 09:04 PM
The big catch phrase on Division I message boards is now 'mid-majors'. Most Divison I fans call any conference that is non-BCS, a 'mid-major' conference. So naturally, the teams in these conferences become 'mid-major' teams. So simply put, if you're not a big-time Division I program; you're a 'mid-major'. It's all subjective....
On most message boards, *I think the MAC, MVC, Horizon and West Coast Conference are the top four of the "mid-majors."
In Division II, the term means something all together different; a program devoid of scholarships. NDSU wouldn't be considered 'mid-major' in DII. But will be considered a 'mid-major' in DI in all sports except football, in which, they will be Division I-AA.
If JSOnline, calls Northern Illinois and Ball State 'mid-major' DI programs than who am I to argue.

JACKGUY
09-15-2003, 09:50 PM
What are the links to the Minnesota preps and Wisconsin Preps. Also related to recruiting a caller from
Sioux Falls into Sid Hartman's Sports Huddle asked Sid and Dave Mona what his thought about NDSU and SDSU moving up to DI and how that would affect recruiting in Minnesota. They misunderstood the question and replied that North Dakota and South Dakota do not produce many DI athletes and who would choose NDSU or SDSU over Minnesota. I think the caller really intended to get their opinion about how this might provide Minnesota athletes that have DI talent and can stay closer to home rather than go outstate if they aren't being recruited by Minnesota. Typically arrogant attitude from Hartman when someone questions someone going somewhere other than to his beloved Gophers. He said also that he thought both schools were making a big mistake and that title IX would make it very expensive. He is upset that if the Gophers build a football stadium with private money they then need to build a rowing station for the women. He has come out against the smaller schools in Minnesota being DI in Hockey and not in other sports which I agree with him on so I wasn't surprised with his response.

Trainer
09-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Minnesota Preps http://www.minnesotapreps.com

Wisconsin Preps http://www.wisconsinpreps.com

To get the good recruiting info, you have to pay. It's something like 5.95 a month. But they each have a free message board which is good for info

met1990
09-15-2003, 09:55 PM
I took a look at this Freund's stats. Last year he threw for something like 32 TD's and great yardage. I'll be in Kenosha this weekend. It's a shame that high school is playing in Waterford or I would have checked him out.