PDA

View Full Version : Herald Editorial

wfduck
09-18-2003, 08:53 PM
EDITORIAL: Football schedule at UND needs some oomph

OUR VIEW: UND's schedule has an impact on the school's success in other areas.

Recent editorials have celebrated enrollment increases and research gains at UND.

These topics got attention again Wednesday, when figures showed what UND officials had been expecting. Enrollment topped 13,000.

President Charles Kupchella called attention to the university's increasing funding for research in his State of the University address Wednesday. He also boasted about increased giving by university alumni and improving academic programs.

That's all wonderful.

But every silver lining has a cloud.

At UND, it's the football schedule.

While evidence is that UND continues its march toward first-class status in many areas, the record on the football field is less inspiring. It's not the team's fault. Nor the coaches. It's whoever drew up the schedule.

Newberry College? Location? South Carolina. Enrollment? 750. Won-loss record? One win in 11 outings. 18 straight losses in conference games.

Previous UND opponents: The University of Minnesota-Crookston. That was the Potato Bowl game. Time was, UND sought powerhouse opponents for that game. Time was, it had both tradition and suspense. This year's game was played on the same day that archrival North Dakota State University journeyed to the University of Montana. That's one of the schools that played in the Potato Bowl - in the old days.

Frankly, the football schedule makes us want to re-examine our conclusion that Division I status wasn't right for UND. This year's schedule makes it appear that UND is sinking though, rather than holding its own as a Division II power.

True, the schedulers say they're working on a tougher schedule for next season. That's good.

Athletics is not the most important thing on a college campus. But a successful athletic program has a lot to do with the university's image - and that has a lot to do with important things such as enrollment levels and alumni loyalty. And that has a big impact on research funding and academic programs.

So, Mr. President, a little attention to this little thing, please. A stronger football schedule is in UND's interest - and in the interest of Sioux fans.

met1990
09-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Isn't it already tough enough with Mesa St? (sarcasm)

Tatanka
09-19-2003, 12:56 AM
<smack>I heard that May-Port-C-G was up for a home-and-home series, as long as they could still play on Fridays.</smack>

In all reality though, it's about time someone addressed the issue. Playing Crookston, Newberry, Mesa State, and Central Washington (back when they weren't anywhere near respectable) might put up the W's, but sooner or later your program hurts.

Of course, as smaller-budget schools continue to infiltrate D-II and the number of available scholarships continues to decrease as a result, the playing field will be leveled, and not in a good way. Myself, I'm elated that the Bison are making moves to continue to field a quality team and bring some real competition to the Dome.

wfduck
09-19-2003, 02:26 AM
I think it speaks volumes when the hometown Herald blasts UNDs football schedule. As has been said befor why should UND expect people to put down serious scratch for a game that's over in 15 minutes. Fans want to see a good game. I walked away from the Davis satisfied, because it was a good game. I'd rather lose to Davis or a D1 team than beat the school of the blind.

JBB
09-19-2003, 11:46 AM
I agree Wfduck. *Ive said for some time one of the problems with the Fabulous Fargo Dome was the lack of suspense for most games played there. *The average margin of victory is about 30 pts. *Many, many games arent too exciting. *I didnt notice people heading for the gates early during the UCD game. *The hilarious center was empty for the second half of the crookston battle. *But I still say und should stay DII. *How could they have been so wrong to have misjudged this issue so badly? *In fact to be so convinced they were right that they campaigned relentlessly, and vindictively, against the decision NDSU made. Many of their fans still are. The hearold was one of the worst. this type of turnaround on their part gives the impression that they failed to think things thru and their reaction to the NDSU move was emotional rather than intellectual.

Bisonfan1234
09-19-2003, 01:33 PM
I have nothing against UND going D1 for all sports and D1AA for football. They certainly have the facilities for the job (aren't they also planning for an indoor practice facility at their old outdoor stadium like we are?). It's just that there budjet is so much more streched than NDSU's because of D1 hockey. But i still think they could pull it off. The alerus/englested combo for football/basketball would probably be one of the best (esp the englested for bball) in D1AA/D1.