PDA

View Full Version : Gordon eager to take over for Faulk...

Tatanka
09-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Full article and picture here (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Rams/53656911E3F6B3C086256DAB006DAA41?OpenDocument&Head line=Gordon+eager+to+take+over+for+Faulk) from the St Louis Post-Dispatch.

Gordon eager to take over for Faulk

By R.B. Fallstrom

Lamar Gordon never did like fullback anyway.

Now, Marshall Faulk's backup doesn't have to worry about that position. For at least the next month, while Faulk recovers from a broken hand and torn knee cartilage, Gordon has Faulk's spot as the go-to guy.

"I'm really excited, I'm not going to lie about that," Gordon said. "I've got an opportunity and I've been waiting for it."

Teammates expect Gordon, a third-round pick last year, to fill the void. Faulk will be out an estimated four to six weeks because of broken bones in his left hand. Faulk also had surgery on his right knee Wednesday.

"He's got a little Eric Dickerson in him, and that's a tough thing to say for a young guy," defensive tackle Tyoka Jackson said. "But when I look at him, that's what I see.

"If you give him a crease, he's going to be in the secondary in a heartbeat."

Playing fullback was a way for Gordon to get on the field the last two weeks, even though he didn't pack a huge punch at 220 pounds. Coach Mike Martz asked Gordon after auditioning several players during training camp and the preseason.

But Gordon knows he didn't belong there.

"I had to do what they asked, but I've never played fullback and I never thought about fullback, so it was a little different for me," Gordon said. "I always knew fullback was a tough position and now I give a lot of people credit because I experienced it."

Even his old teammates at North Dakota State could recognize that Gordon was out of position. Gordon has been hearing from them all week.

"They told me I looked kind of stupid playing fullback," Gordon said. "They said the lead blocker just wasn't there."

He wasn't arguing, either.

"It's unnatural to try to run a pitch and I'm blocking somebody instead of trying to turn the corner," Gordon said. "That's kind of weird."

Gordon got his chance at tailback when Faulk was sidelined after his left hand banged into the helmet of a Seahawks player in a 24-23 loss. Gordon had eight carries for 41 yards and caught four passes for 25 yards, shaking off a severe headache and nausea early in the game.

"He was re-painting the sideline," said Martz, who told Gordon he was OK.

"He wasn't OK," Martz said, "but he went out and played well."

For the season, Gordon has better numbers than Faulk. He has 72 yards on 14 carries for a 5.1-yard average, while Faulk has 116 yards and a 2.8-yard average.

Gordon has seven catches for a 7.3-yard average, while Faulk has 12 receptions for a 5.5-yard average.

"In the Seattle game he made some runs that were really nice," quarterback Marc Bulger said. "Certainly we want Marshall, but it's not like we're going to change our game plan."

Gordon has seemed a lot more assured this year after experiencing fumbling problems much of last season.

"I see the team has more confidence in me and that helps me out a lot, gets me ready to play and playing with more energy," Gordon said. "I feel like my college days, and getting back to playing like I know how to play."

Gordon put up huge numbers at North Dakota State, a Division II power, ending his career as the school's career leading rusher with 4,700 yards and 62 touchdowns. In his last 37 college games, he had 31 games with 100 or more yards.

Last year, he had 228 yards rushing and a 3.5-yard average with the Rams.

His old college coach, Bob Babich, now is with the team as the linebackers coach. That, too, has helped Gordon relax.

"He's just as excited as I am," Gordon said. "I'm pretty close to his wife and she's all excited and nervous for me."

Best of luck to Lamar. Here's hoping he shines with the playing time and the exposure.

Tatanka
09-28-2003, 06:22 PM
TOUCHDOWN LAMAR GORDON!!! Midway through the first quarter, Lamar has 4 carries for 22 yards and 1 TD.

Looking good!

Bisonguy
09-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Gordon has 14 carries for 62 yards in the first half.

Bisonguy
09-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Final Gordon goes for 81 yards on 21 carries with 1 TD. 1 reception for 8 yards. It looked like Lamar was taken out of the game late in the third or early in the fourth when the game was decided.

Tatanka
09-28-2003, 09:19 PM
At the end of the game, here's Lamar's stats:
ATTYardsYds/AttLongTD

Not too shabby, and good enough to lead the league for the week (at least the early games)!

Tatanka
09-29-2003, 01:17 AM
New article from today's Post-Dispatch

Big Red no match for Bulger, Gordon
By R.B. Fallstrom

The St. Louis Rams are doing just fine without Marshall Faulk.

As Faulk nursed his broken hand, his replacement, Lamar Gordon, ran for 81
yards on 21 carries and scored the game's first touchdown in the Rams' 37-13
victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

Gordon, in his first start of the season at running back in place of Faulk,
capped the Rams' first drive with a 3-yard TD run.

Marc Bulger threw two touchdown passes and ran for a third in his second
start since replacing Kurt Warner, including a 7-yarder to Torry Holt that put
the game away at 30-13 early in the fourth. He was 28-for-41 for 272 yards.

The Rams (2-2) led 20-7 at halftime. Josh Scobey had a 100-yard kickoff
return in the third quarter that briefly cut the deficit to 10 points, but the
Cardinals (1-3) couldn't keep the St. Louis offense off the field -- The Rams
had an 83-36 advantage in plays and held the ball for 42:27.

St. Louis had four scoring drives that lasted more than 10 plays, and ate up
more than eight minutes before Bulger's 2-yard run for the final touchdown.

Jeff Blake was 10-for-17 for only 88 yards and Emmitt Smith was held to 25
yards on 12 carries with a 1-yard touchdown run for Arizona, his first with the
Cardinals.

Rookie Anquan Boldin caught seven passes for 86 yards for Arizona, setting
NFL records for most catches (30) and yards (464) in his first four career
games.

Bulger scrambled before hitting Dane Looker on a 6-yard score near the end
of the first quarter for a 14-0 lead, and Jeff Wilkins added field goals of 24
and 53 yards in the second. Bulger also had a 7-yard TD pass to Torry Holt that
made it 30-13 in the fourth quarter.

Wilkins, who is 10-for-11 this season, added a 31-yarder in the third
quarter for a 23-7 lead before missing on a 39-yarder late in the third.

Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce caught four passes for 58 yards, and set the
franchise career record for receiving yards. Bruce has 9,790 career yards in 10
seasons and previously had set franchise marks for receptions and receiving
touchdowns.

Bruce was overshadowed on Sunday by Holt, who tied his career best with 12
catches for 133 yards. Gordon missed the last quarter with a wrist injury.

Let's hope it's nothing serious.